• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix to Premiere Kakegurui Anime Outside of Japan in 2018

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
This is just insane. I really don't get why they don't do weekly release with ENG subs for the people that truly care to watch it. It doesn't harm the people that want to watch it dubbed later. Absolutely crazy that it's gonna take over 5 months for since it's airdate for this show to be available outside of Japan. I'll not even care by then. If I can't watch a show in it's current season, I generally forget it exists and never watch it because the fast pace of new releases overshadows older stuff.

Yeah.

And, as mentioned earlier, even though the first of the two shows will done in October lol. Just hoping that they're at least dubbing these like their previous pick ups and I'll buy them on the eventual blu-rays.

Rogueywon wrote:
It's like the impermanence of streaming media and the tortoise-like release schedules of DVDs/BDs had a baby...

LOL yeah.
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:24 pm Reply with quote
switchgear1131 wrote:
ah, SAO was a huge hit when it came out in the West, so I don't know what you are talking about. It has since lost steam not because of the marketing end but because people realised they screwed it up and the anime is trash.

With Ordinal Scale being one of the highest grossing anime movies ever in North American theaters, and it's merchandise still selling like hot-cakes, I wouldn't say it's losing much steam. The show may have many problems but popularity ain't one of them.

OT: I never understood why Netflix licensed Kakegurui in the first place. I absolutely love the manga, but nothing in there even remotely resembles "Mass appeal." Which is the whole reason Netflix started licensing anime in the first place. They wants shows that appeal to the non-anime crowd, which shows like Little Witch Academia makes perfect sense. But Kakegurui? Pseudo erotic gambling with outrageous/psychotic characters and completely over the top facial reactions and acting. I mean it's great, but how is that gonna appeal to any non-anime fan?
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:14 pm Reply with quote
TasteyCookie wrote:
OT: I never understood why Netflix licensed Kakegurui in the first place. I absolutely love the manga, but nothing in there even remotely resembles "Mass appeal." Which is the whole reason Netflix started licensing anime in the first place. They wants shows that appeal to the non-anime crowd, which shows like Little Witch Academia makes perfect sense. But Kakegurui? Pseudo erotic gambling with outrageous/psychotic characters and completely over the top facial reactions and acting. I mean it's great, but how is that gonna appeal to any non-anime fan?
As a fan of dubs I dislike Anime Strike but Amazon has done some research into the shows they license. Netflix has apparently picked a random intern to make their anime licensing decisions. Sometimes that intern is lucky and picks a huge show like Fate/Apocrypha but other times it is a niche show. I think that is a joke but Netflix is somewhat random in the anime shows they pick and when they decide to release them.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Squidslinger wrote:
Realquick wrote:
So they want us to pirate?

Doesn't everyone already in some way, shape, or form?

I quit viewing pirated anime in July 2010. There are too many titles legally available in the US for me to keep up with, and availability has only gotten better since then.

I certainly am not going to pirate something that is definitely going to be legally available to me.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Realquick wrote:

The sad thing is, a ton of viewers are likely to do just that.
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:43 pm Reply with quote
I've been pirating this since episode 1. I have a Netflix account but I sure as hell ain't waiting for them to get there crap together. Been looking forward to this show for too long to wait even further.
russ869

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Absolutely crazy that it's gonna take over 5 months for since it's airdate for this show to be available outside of Japan. I'll not even care by then. If I can't watch a show in it's current season, I generally forget it exists and never watch it because the fast pace of new releases overshadows older stuff.

Wow... who has that kind of time? Seems like these days I never get around to watching anything that isn't at least 6 months old anyway.
harminia

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:27 am Reply with quote
Squidslinger wrote:

Then you have publishers being dumb. Look at Sword Art Online. It could have been so huge in the west.

??????? SAO is one of the most successful anime to have come out in the past few years though.........................
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:22 am Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:

I certainly am not going to pirate something that is definitely going to be legally available to me.

That is my outlook, too. As annoying as Netflix's approach is, I had plenty to watch before they had the first season of Little Witch Academia available. Simuldubs alone give me two or three episodes of current shows to watch most nights, and then I have plenty of older shows that are still sitting there waiting for me to get to them.
MissT

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:41 am Reply with quote
I feel like people in this thread tend to forget that when Netflix releases their stuff they tend to release their stuff worldwide, simultaneously and with local subtitles. All anime and regular shows I have access to in my country has local subtitles. Even other weekly released shows have local subbing. There is nothing on netflix that has English subs only. LWA was released in my country at the same time as in the US and with local subtitles and english dub.

In other words, if Netflix were to weekly simulcast their anime worldwide they would either have to release their anime in English speaking countries ONLY or have people subbing this anime into several different European languages every week, which would require more time and effort than netflix would be willing to give I assume. And if they only release it in English speaking countries they'll have whiny Europeans like myself complaining about how they are being overlooked. If anything, at least netflix isn't playing favorites toward a certain country.

With that said, 2018 is way too long of a wait, I expected maybe October. Pull yourself together netflix!
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:49 am Reply with quote
missts wrote:
I feel like people in this thread tend to forget that when Netflix releases their stuff they tend to release their stuff worldwide, simultaneously and with local subtitles. All anime and regular shows I have access to in my country has local subtitles. Even other weekly released shows have local subbing. There is nothing on netflix that has English subs only. LWA was released in my country at the same time as in the US and with local subtitles and english dub.

In other words, if Netflix were to weekly simulcast their anime worldwide they would either have to release their anime in English speaking countries ONLY or have people subbing this anime into several different European languages every week, which would require more time and effort than netflix would be willing to give I assume. And if they only release it in English speaking countries they'll have whiny Europeans like myself complaining about how they are being overlooked. If anything, at least netflix isn't playing favorites toward a certain country.

With that said, 2018 is way too long of a wait, I expected maybe October. Pull yourself together netflix!

Uhhhh how's that impossible, Crunchyroll's been licensing simulcasts worldwide with localized subtitles for years and they don't have anywhere close to the capital that Netflix has. That's the lousiest excuse I've heard for Netflix's bs policy
MissT

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:59 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Uhhhh how's that impossible, Crunchyroll's been licensing simulcasts worldwide with localized subtitles for years and they don't have anywhere close to the capital that Netflix has. That's the lousiest excuse I've heard for Netflix's bs policy

Eh, I checked the subtitle options for crunchy, and they have like english, spanish, french, german and italian, hardly all european languages. When crunchy starts weekly subbing all their anime in any scandinavian language is when we can start talking. Also, I'd argue that there is a difference between crunchyroll and netflix subbing anime. Crunchyroll is a streaming service focused on anime while netflix only recently started making an effort to license anime titles. Crunchyroll knows their subscribers are fans of anime, while a large percentage of netflix subscribers never have and never will watch anime. Weekly subbing an anime to swedish when the vast majority of swedish subscribers are never going to watch it is probably not worth it, no matter what capital netflix have. My point is, crunchyroll isn't weekly subbing their anime to swedish because the demand for it just isn't there and it's probably the same for netflix.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:07 pm Reply with quote
If Netflix can drop an episode of Chelsea Lately every week there is no excuse for them not to do the same for Kakegurui.
Covnam

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:43 am Reply with quote
Wow, that's rough. If you're going to wait that long, might as well wait for the BD =/
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:04 am Reply with quote
Realquick wrote:
It's almost like they are encouraging that. Seriously, all these new licenses they are getting tied with Anime Strike and Sony Pictures TV getting 95% of the Funimation shares is pathetic. This doesn't look like they will have a positive effect on the anime industry in the USA/Canada.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3