• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Funimation, Sony Comment on Majority Acquisition Deal

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:07 am Reply with quote
Haysey wrote:
I wonder how long it'll be before Sony issue a copyright strike on the Dragnball Z Abridged youtube channel? They had a hard enough time just dealing with Funimation.

Well I don't mean to be that guy but they'd be well within their right to do so. You'd have a pretty much impossible time convincing a court that DBZ Abridged is a significant change to be called a parody. They basically just change the dialogue, the animation is straight ripped and you can't do that.
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:05 am Reply with quote
MoonPhase1 wrote:
Some S.A.V.E. releases are reversible covers with both the normal front and back covers and some are more like having the normal front cover but with the back cover just listing what episodes and Extras are included. But either way, anything is better than that ugly green banner.

Yes, I am aware that some have reversible covers but you don't know which do have those covers. The issue with this principle is, for collectors, such as myself, it IS ugly. And though there are copies of the other version in production, those copies prices get jacked up.

It makes, really, NO SENSE, why they would go through a second production phase and design phase on packaging, going through extra cost, when they could just lower the cost of the already existing version's design and layout.
macattack

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:05 am Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:
Well I don't mean to be that guy but they'd be well within their right to do so. You'd have a pretty much impossible time convincing a court that DBZ Abridged is a significant change to be called a parody. They basically just change the dialogue, the animation is straight ripped and you can't do that.

It's not even not-for-profit anymore so the writing is probably on the wall for DBZ Abridged. That being said FUNimation has been applying a live and let live strategy as far as Team Four Star is concerned, it's mostly been Toei who's been going after the channel periodically. But now they have to deal with both Toei and Sony, and Sony will be a much more difficult company to shake off than Toei if Sony decides to go after them.

Kaiser, Lani, and Takahata have been implying for the last few weeks about hitting a turning point and I think that may be the end of DBZ Abridged after they conclude the Cell Games. All of the legal issues may be taking their toll and I am not so sure they will continue on to Buu, and their tweets and comments seem to imply to me that they are seriously considering stopping after Cell is over.

The problem is that their Let's Plays and Gaming videos don't have the big audience base of more popular gaming Youtubers, and their attempts at original content have stalled or have been met with tepid reactions. Final Fantasy VII Abridged was meant to be a transition towards more original content as well and its first season is a major step down from DBZ Abridged due to iffy writing.

They can't live without DBZ Abridged, that's the breadwinner for their channel and themselves. But they are potentially facing a major crossroads here, and IMO they're probably going to need a RWBY-level original hit in order to keep going.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:40 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Does anyone have a transcript, when I click on the link it just redirects me to the UK site.

WTK has posted the FAQs on Twitter: https://twitter.com/WTK/status/892207407249620992
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Wonderllama

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Bet it's only a matter of time before the Funimation app is subscription-only.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:07 pm Reply with quote
KH91 wrote:
If you check the original source from The Hollywood Reporter, it states:

Quote:
The company also operates subscription streaming service FunimationNOW, which is available via Sony's PlayStation Store, iTunes Store, Google Play, Amazon Apps, Xbox Game Store and mobile devices.

That's true, Funimation's app has been available on PS3 and PS4 for more than a year now--
I just haven't used it since A) everything I want to watch showed up on Netflix or CR anyway, and B) I still don't expect any working app to come out of Funimation.com, web or console.

Emerje wrote:
Sounds like Sony is just trying to find a way to make a media platform where they can host videos from the entire group on PS4. I'd expect it to be similar to what Crunchyroll setup with VRV and possibly not effect FUNi's individual streaming platform.

Pretty much--As mentioned in the other thread, I'm just taking this as Sony's attempt to give up trying to set up and brand their own Animax service, and just buy the company that had all the licensing and machinery already in place.
And they probably won't rebrand Funi's name as "Animax America" either, as it's already selling too well with the streaming and disk fans they want to court.

Are we still treating this like 1999, and "Disney bought Studio Ghibli because they were JEALOUS of their competition, and wanted to run them out of business!"? Laughing

CatSword wrote:
They went out of their way to neither confirm nor deny including Funimation content on Crackle or PlayStation Vue. While I think Crackle is on death's door, I still think a revived Funimation Channel/Animax would be good to have on PlayStation Vue.

Crackle at "death's door"?
If it weren't for their recent site overhaul, I'd be making Fear the Walking Dead jokes at this point.

Crackle originally started back in the '08-'10 rush to get in on Hulu and Amazon's desktop-browser attempt to one-up YouTube, by offering free ad-supported desktop/cellphone-streaming TV/movies, and by the time the industry turned living-room set-top subscription streaming, they were itching to give up on the service anyway.
It's only the fact that they keep control of the content--and think that they're selling weed/frat comedies to their "core" gamer-console audience--that's kept it on IV's and defibrulators this long.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:01 am Reply with quote
Snakebit1995, I actually like when media companies will argue something is a blatant copyright violation (at times, that point is correct) when you consider the following: many media companies build their empire using the public domain. Ironically, they might not have a problem advocating for retroactive copyright extensions. This could be a violation of what the Copyright Clause is for.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3