• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - What's Really Going On In A Centaur's Life?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:21 pm Reply with quote
I've heard mixed opinions of what kind of thematic territory the manga ends up in, but I think the idea of portraying a society more interested in having solved its problems than solving its problems has a lot of potential. The question would be what it identifies as the problem -- that the different groups are trying to live together at all? Or that they're not listening to each other to understand what kinds of accommodations are needed to integrate their communities into a functioning whole? Or that the group in power specifically isn't listening to the out-group?
Asterisk-CGY

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Maybe because I've read this series years ago all this cropping up is throwing me for a loop. Or that the condensed anime production just pushes these things to the forefront. The latest volume just came out and it's getting more into how spoiler[the Indigenous Frog people in Africa are fighting an insurgency against foreign colonial powers while being secretly supported by the Antartician snake people. But no one notices because they still think Africa is a backwater tribal race and figure they couldn't be a threat. Also there's a brothel that holds girls as slaves where the rebels frees them with like rainbow six accuracy. ]

Or maybe I'm just blind.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:00 pm Reply with quote
I just watched that merfolk walking assistance machine scene (21 minutes into episode 2) and that question about reverse discrimination was because the government spends most of the supplementary research budget on the merfolk. The show does mention both sides of the issue but I would point out that it does show it from the viewpoint of the merfolk. Also the merfolk girl does mention that she can get financial aid for it.
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
I agree with the issues discussed today. A Centaur's Life has a certain habit of depicting enforced anti-discriminatory policies as being little better than the original discrimination in response to which they were instated, or at least, its critical lens falls most eagerly on the former. As a certain mainstream animated comedy has demonstrated, framing political correctness in this way can mollify or even galvanise audiences with rather horrid views, and while any such consequences may be fully unintentional, the onus still lies on the writers—as it does on all commentators—to make their opposition to such groups evident.

Maybe it's because I lean right, but I still think it's giving a fair shake to both sides. The main characters aren't exactly suffering under the society they are in for example. It's not starring right winged revolutionaries who want to topple the government and are clearly justified in doing so. Maybe the reason why it seems more biased against anti-discriminatory policies is because they are less frequently criticized in the mainstream than discriminatory policies.

I also don't think the author should be obligated to hold or portray a "correct" worldview even if his own characters think so. Disregarding how one should never assume an author's beliefs from his stories in the first place, Centaur's Worries is so neutral is that trying to figure out the author's beliefs makes you more self-aware of your own biases than the author's.

Last edited by encrypted12345 on Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Aquamine-Amarine wrote:
Why must you people make EVERYTHING political? Why can't I just enjoy an anime without people bringing up politics ALL THE TIME? You people are obsessed...

"Make" it political? Have you actually SEEN A Centaur's Life? The show itself is extremely political. So of course politics are gonna be talked about.

Don't worry, I'm sure that when they go and cover Heybot and other shows in the future, the political talk will be much reduced.

EDIT: Unless somehow Heybot gets political.

Please get political Heybot, I want to see this monstrosity now.

Last edited by Mad_Scientist on Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dracospirit121

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:12 pm Reply with quote
You know, this show is way more thought prevoking that the moe cute girls doing cute things vibe I got first off.
CheezcakeMe

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:56 pm Reply with quote
For the mer-folk, are wheelchairs and scooters not a thing in this world? Instead you have to make them a giant mechanized horse-body? Or not affording that, get your boyfriend to carry you everywhere? Scooter seems like a good middle ground here.
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:59 pm Reply with quote
CheezcakeMe wrote:
For the mer-folk, are wheelchairs and scooters not a thing in this world? Instead you have to make them a giant mechanized horse-body? Or not affording that, get your boyfriend to carry you everywhere? Scooter seems like a good middle ground here.

While none of those are bad ideas, the point of the robo body is so the mermaids get to walk, not just roll. It's not absolute equality if legless people can't walk, and to some, it is worth the ridiculous amount of funds.
CheezcakeMe

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:08 pm Reply with quote
encrypted12345 wrote:

While none of those are bad ideas, the point of the robo body is so the mermaids get to walk, not just roll. It's not absolute equality if legless people can't walk, and to some, it is worth the ridiculous amount of funds.

Ah, so this society is about 100% equality or don't bother. A scooter would give her some independence but then she'd be seen as "inferior" to those walking people so she doesn't use one.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Aquamine-Amarine wrote:
Why must you people make EVERYTHING political? Why can't I just enjoy an anime without people bringing up politics ALL THE TIME? You people are obsessed...

Seems like you're obsessed with pointless complaining and not actually adding anything to the discussion on a show that does feature some politics and societal issues within it. Now unless someone actually busted into your house and strapped you to a chair with those eye openers and then proceeded to lecture you with a power point presentation on the socioeconomic and political issues within a show no one is actually stopping you from enjoying a show that you're watching in your own house. Now if someone is doing that for EVERYTHING then you should probably call the cops at some point. Maybe get a better front door and new locks. Maybe a guard dog. At least put a bucket over the door so when it opens you hear the bucket fall and you can jump out your window.
kamui85

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:57 am Reply with quote
I think the comments the little girls make about girls don''t kiss when they grow up is because in japan the same sex relations are seem as a phase, a childish one that''s not meant to last to adulthood.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:33 am Reply with quote
encrypted12345 wrote:
It does seem like when free speech died that absolutism and zealotry became common in their society. Compromise is not acceptable which of course only causes more problems. For a monster girl show it has a lot of nuance to it.
AJ (LordNikon)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:58 pm Reply with quote
encrypted12345 wrote:
CheezcakeMe wrote:

Simple solution, off people with legs the option of getting them lopped off; or better yet, offer them merperson fins so they can swim in the water. problem solved, and you didn't even have to elect me to he Diet (And, this is why the LDP hates me).
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:00 am Reply with quote
AJ (LordNikon) wrote:
encrypted12345 wrote:
CheezcakeMe wrote:

Simple solution, off people with legs the option of getting them lopped off; or better yet, offer them merperson fins so they can swim in the water. problem solved, and you didn't even have to elect me to he Diet (And, this is why the LDP hates me).

This is clearly what the snake people were planning for millennia, so they could take over the world.
Northlander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:42 am Reply with quote
The Friendship Gulag, an actual place in Borderlands 2.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2