• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - What Is Uyoku Dantai?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:20 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
That isn't really just a Japanese thing. US schools usually skirt around or very quickly dash through unfavorable material as well. It isn't even just schools. There was a big controversy when the Smithsonian wanted to make an Enola Gay exhibit for the 50th anniversary of the end of the war (the plane that dropped one of the atomic bombs) because some people didn't like how the original exhibit portrayed the US. I guarantee you that China does the exact same thing when it comes to airing their dirty laundry.

I graduated high school before 9/11, so I have no idea what history books say about our invasion of Iraq, but if its anything like how they covered previous wars I'm sure they left out tons of juicy, unflattering details. Then again, over the past year it's suddenly become cool for Americans to hate America so maybe they air out all our dirty laundry these days.

Only Japan gets flak because the left hates them in general and will use any excuse to thrash them. Some people want Japan to appologize 24/7 for stuff that happened the later part of a century ago and refuse to move on. Anti-Japanese racism is one of the few racisms thats a-ok to be in America these days.
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:22 pm Reply with quote
I'm actually proud of the comments section for once. There's lots of actual discussion on history and socio-politics. My faith is slightly restored ^^

On the subject of US history classes: I remember that when talking about 9/11, the materials we were referring to talked about how the terrorists were evil, evil people, but was completely neutral and non-opinionated about every single other thing it covered. Real subtle. I think school classes absolutely do have the right to bring up opinions, but the manipulation is so obvious when slavery and other US atrocities are just things that happened while the current foreign threat is eeeevil.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Some posts are coming close to being too far OT or baitish. Please don't cross the line. I did a little clean up here with those that crossed that line or were removed by their own poster (and a reply to that post that made no sense with the post redacted). Gonna give this thread some extra leeway given the nature of the topic, but it needs to remain civil (which it has mostly thus far) and not stray too far off topic. Thank you.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
Some people want Japan to appologize 24/7 for stuff that happened the later part of a century ago and refuse to move on.

It's a bit hard for people to forget things like invading other countries or experimenting on innocent people. Plus this cuts both ways

https://www.vox.com/2016/5/27/11791766/obama-hiroshima-apology

Lord Oink wrote:
Anti-Japanese racism is one of the few racisms thats a-ok to be in America these days.

Japanese people aren't really as reviled nowadays as they were following Pearl Harbor. They've been displaced by Muslims and Sikh's.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:44 pm Reply with quote
How were the characters in question portrayed in the manga? Do people think there was a political bent to the story? It's interesting how politics are presented in post-apocalyptic stories--or the politics people read into them.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
Only Japan gets flak because the left hates them in general and will use any excuse to thrash them. Some people want Japan to apologize 24/7 for stuff that happened the later part of a century ago and refuse to move on. Anti-Japanese racism is one of the few racisms thats a-ok to be in America these days.

I don't think the left hates Japan. Criticism does not necessarily equate to hatred. Japan is certainly not on the top of the list of countries that are criticized by the left, both in degree and frequency. No one in this community truly hates Japan, though some may criticize some things. There are some areas that those one the left may point to Japan as a role model in fact (not getting into specifics here to avoid going OT). If it was just about stuff that Japan did during WW2, that would be a bit silly for those outside Japan and Korea to focus much on. However, the concern is with right wing nationalists, like those mentioned in the article, who deny that war crimes occurred or that Japan's actions constituted war crimes, celebrate those war criminals, and impugn the reputation of the victims, living and dead, and that the current government of Japan might be too amenable to such right wing nationalism. It isn't a concern with all Japanese people, inside and outside Japan, just these folks mentioned in the article and potentially the governing party. No one is going to harass some random Japanese person on the street on this issue, especially given how unpopular such right wing nationalists are in Japan.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:54 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
It's a bit hard for people to forget things like invading other countries or experimenting on innocent people

Every country did those sorts of things in war. Twice as many German women were assaulted by Allied soldiers in WW2 than Nanking. We just have the benefit of Germany being so self-hating about the war they don't bring it up every year.

Quote:
Japanese people aren't really as reviled nowadays as they were following Pearl Harbor. They've been displaced by Muslims and Sikh's.

Neither of those are 'accepted'. You say anything slightly negative and you get smacked with the Islamophobe label and torn apart. Meanwhile people can casually make jokes like 'two bombs werent enough' about the Japanese or negative generalizations about Japanese culture as a whole and the same people don't even blink.

zrnzle500 wrote:
I don't think the left hates Japan. Criticism does not necessarily equate to hatred. Japan is certainly not on the top of the list of countries that are criticized by the left, both in degree and frequency. No one in this community truly hates Japan, though some may criticize some things. There are some areas that those one the left may point to Japan as a role model in fact (not getting into specifics here to avoid going OT). If it was just about stuff that Japan did during WW2, that would be a bit silly for those outside Japan and Korea to focus much on. However, the concern is with right wing nationalists, like those mentioned in the article, who deny that war crimes occurred or that Japan's actions constituted war crimes, celebrate those war criminals, and impugn the reputation of the victims, living and dead, and that the current government of Japan might be too amenable to such right wing nationalism. It isn't a concern with all Japanese people, inside and outside Japan, just these folks mentioned in the article and potentially the governing party. No one is going to harass some random Japanese person on the street on this issue, especially given how unpopular such right wing nationalists are in Japan.

It's not just limited to those extremists. Issues like how the majority of Japan are anti-immigration and 99.5% ethnically homogenous and proud nationalists draw their ire. Japan as a whole is far more right leaning even if you ignore those war crime-denying extremists.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:15 am Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
Every country did those sorts of things in war. Twice as many German women were assaulted by Allied soldiers in WW2 than Nanking. We just have the benefit of Germany being so self-hating about the war they don't bring it up every year.

But unlike Japan those sex crimes were never endorsed officially let alone institutionalized, instead they were transgressions by individual soldiers and would have been treated as crimes if caught. Or are you seriously claiming that 'comfort women' never happened?
Compelled to Reply

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:19 pm Reply with quote
nargun wrote:
All fascist movements are fundamentally the same. A bunch of socially-ill-adapt people from semi-prosperous backgrounds find they can't get ahead in life, because changing social structures means their privilege isn't as effective in concealing their other deficiencies as it was, or they thought it was, in their parent's days. And rather than work to change themselves they set themselves up to change society back to the Good Old Days when detail orientation and following instructions carefully was enough to let you get ahead, and shut down all those liberated women and #ethnics and #queers who are, if not the agents of change, the ones who doomed the proper shape of society, at least its symbol.

Some Uyoku Dantai are comprised of Burakumin, who are considered Japan's token "oppressed people" and explains why the Yakuza is involved, so not necessarily. Also, people from Rust Belt states and Appalachia who voted for Trump aren't fascists from "semi-prosperous" backgrounds because they refuse to unrealistically change. Ironically, Antifa fits your upbringing assumption better, except as useful idiots to the left-wing establishment Trump defeated, and ironically use fascist tactics to intimidate the public.

Lord Oink wrote:
I graduated high school before 9/11, so I have no idea what history books say about our invasion of Iraq, but if its anything like how they covered previous wars I'm sure they left out tons of juicy, unflattering details. Then again, over the past year it's suddenly become cool for Americans to hate America so maybe they air out all our dirty laundry these days.

Only Japan gets flak because the left hates them in general and will use any excuse to thrash them. Some people want Japan to appologize 24/7 for stuff that happened the later part of a century ago and refuse to move on. Anti-Japanese racism is one of the few racisms thats a-ok to be in America these days.

Textbooks should only present the facts, but even then are accused of bias for "omitting details" as commentary to justify perceived moral high grounds. It should be the teacher's responsibility to teach students to think critically. Unfortunately, in bureaucratic education systems like the United States and Japan, it's not always an incentive.

The same kinds of people said Japan deserved the 2011 Tōhoku earthquake and tsunami because Pearl Harbor. Frankly, they don't just hate Japan, but as you said, America and Europe too for any actions from the past. You just can't argue with these people.

Lord Oink wrote:
It's not just limited to those extremists. Issues like how the majority of Japan are anti-immigration and 99.5% ethnically homogenous and proud nationalists draw their ire. Japan as a whole is far more right leaning even if you ignore those war crime-denying extremists.

The majority of people who vote, yes. They tend to be overwhelmingly older, and are more for keeping the status quo than single issue politics like immigration. Also, Japan being ethnically homogenous is false because it's made up of many diverse ethnic groups. I believe you mean "racially homogenous" as East Asians well-assimilated into a unified Japanese society.

Blanchimont wrote:
But unlike Japan those sex crimes were never endorsed officially let alone institutionalized, instead they were transgressions by individual soldiers and would have been treated as crimes if caught. Or are you seriously claiming that 'comfort women' never happened?

The Soviet's concept of Red Terror endorsed any crimes on civilians and POWs to assert control. It can be argued the Soviet Union was worse than the Germans, Italians, and Japanese combined, and gave us over half of century of military conflict from Korea to Afghanistan, consequences which we're still facing today.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
BadNewsBlues wrote:
It's a bit hard for people to forget things like invading other countries or experimenting on innocent people

Though the case of Germany the rape of 1 million women it was done by the soldiers from USSR who lost at least 27 million people to the German invasion as payback of sorts. In Japan's case it was relatively unprovoked aggression.

Of course, Japan is not exceptional in not apologizing. The US never apologized for anything their armed forces did, or France, or Russia, or the UK or Belgium, nor did any other major country that colonized other countries, with the exception of Germany. I think Germany's case was so extreme that it broke all historical precedents and lead a country to consciously apologize for aggressions commited on foreigners.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:

How far up the chain of command does it have to be for it to be officially endorsed? It wasn't exactly just a few rogue soldiers doing it, commanding officers were in on it. They invented the phrase "copulation without conversation is not fraternization" for a reason.

Compelled to Reply wrote:
The majority of people who vote, yes. They tend to be overwhelmingly older, and are more for keeping the status quo than single issue politics like immigration. Also, Japan being ethnically homogenous is false because it's made up of many diverse ethnic groups. I believe you mean "racially homogenous" as East Asians well-assimilated into a unified Japanese society.
My bad. Although, eh, I wouldn't say it's limited to older people. I've met plenty of Japanese folks in their 20s and 30s that have similar views. Some were rather blunt on topics like Japan being more open borders, citing the UK and other countries rise in crime and how they like the safety of Japan as it is now.
Chrysostomus

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Compelled to Reply wrote:
Also, Japan being ethnically homogenous is false because it's made up of many diverse ethnic groups.
Such as? And what's their total % of the population compared to the native Japanese?
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:47 pm Reply with quote
I believe very strongly in the positive power of official acknowledgments, apologies and reparations. Nothing can take away the inter-generational trauma of forced deportations/relocations, torture, rape or genocide, but having to fight just to have those things acknowledged does nothing but make the pain worse and the resentment grow. When my father took me to his native Paris and pointed out the plaques in front of the public schools acknowledging France's complicity in the deportation of Jewish schoolchildren, it was very powerful. My father and his siblings were hidden with different families (he and his eldest sister stayed on a farm in Normandy, his two other siblings hid with other families). They had family and friends who were deported and killed. I can't stress how much those plaques mean to my father and my aunt.
When I think of the weak "apology" the United States issued to Native Americans, hidden in a budget bill in 2009 (]it's worth a read) and all the Confederate soldier statues this country has yet to take down, I'm ashamed of this country's inability to acknowledge the atrocities its official policies wrought on people. National pride should be based as much as on how a country responds to its sins to how many "good deeds" it does, but apparently, that's a "left wing" opinion.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Let's get off the topic of rape during wartime. Thank you.
Compelled to Reply

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
My bad. Although, eh, I wouldn't say it's limited to older people. I've met plenty of Japanese folks in their 20s and 30s that have similar views. Some were rather blunt on topics like Japan being more open borders, citing the UK and other countries rise in crime and how they like the safety of Japan as it is now.

Well there's a difference between open borders and accepting immigrants based on wanted skills and commitment to Japanese society, whom the government has been trying to attract for years. Most of the time it's not xenophobia, rather difficulty to learn the language and have a better life which already can be achieved in many of their home countries. Honestly, I don't think so many people support open borders anywhere. It's the political elite completely out of touch with people and/or influenced by external forces.

Chrysostomus wrote:
Such as? And what's their total % of the population compared to the native Japanese?

Hellsoldier said it clear and concise on the first page.
Hellsoldier wrote:
Fun fact: The Imperial family has korean blood. Also, Japan in general has Chinese and Korean blood. And also, immigrants were welcome and have shaped Japanese Culture. Also, Yamato people, the main ethnic group in Japan, are a mix of Jōmon and Yayoi people. Not to mention all the ancient (Emishi) and even the modern-day peoples (Ryukyuan/Okinawan and Ainu) integrated into Japan. So much for racial purity, more like a nation of immigrants. Also, for the far-right groups against the LGBT, same-sex attraction thrived in the past, among other things. Oh, and the technology you're using is largely western.

Oh God, I love logical inconsistency.

So basically, "native Japanese" is a pretty abstract group. It's like saying native British people are 100% English, which is of course not the case after centuries of history with mainland Europe, Roman rule, Anglo-Saxon invasions, etc. Of course, the far-right in Japan will argue miscegenation as selective and that they're closer to the original Chinese and Koreans, who were conquered and raped in mainland Asia by Mongol nation wreckers. The same with the far-right in the United States, contrasting its historically-strict West European heritage to mixed-race Latin America.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5