• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - How Do You Get Over Anime Burnout?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tempest21

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:32 pm Reply with quote
The thing is, it's not about what kind of anime you're watching. Just remember to pace yourself. If you suffer from burnout, and this is something I have experienced in the 35+ years I have been watching anime, it will happen. The best advice is to walk away and not watch any anime for a period of time. Watch something else that you enjoy, like a favorite television series or maybe another animation series, like Star Wars Rebels. Then, after a short period of time, go back to watching your favorite anime.

Personally, anime burnout is the result of binge watching too much anime over a short period of time. I've been guilty of this, myself, since I enjoy spending an entire week or a weekend, just watching a number of anime shows. When I suffer from burnout, I'll watch something like Eureka or Killjoys or Dark Matter, sci-fi shows that I've enjoyed. Trust me, you'll get over the burnout and return to watching your favorite anime shows.

If I'm suffering from burnout and I've purchased a new anime series, I'll set it aside and watch it later when I feel like watching anime again.
0nsen

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:58 am Reply with quote
I guess I have this too, at the moment. Though, my problem is, that there aren't more anime to watch. I feel like I've seen all that (currently) exist. Obviously I can't watch the lost ones and even some hard to gets are more or less out of reach. My list includes something over ten thousand anime and I'm currently passing time with rewatches, until new anime are released,... but this is painful, since I came to dislike stuff I liked ten years ago.

PS: I only watch anime once they are released on BD, so no current anime for me.
omiya

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:28 am Reply with quote
SleepySkull wrote:
I'll add one thing that seems to be missing from Justin's excellent post: some of us can regain/retain our enthusiasm through the soundtracks. I enjoyed Aldnoah:Zero even though I'm not much of a fan of mecha or palace intrigues. I can recapture some of that enthusiasm by playing Sawano's soundtrack in the background as I exercise or do other things -- without the time investment that the anime series would require.

That's most of my interest - and sometimes when I watch the anime after acquiring the soundtracks or hearing the songs live the music with the anime really hits me.
Joe Carpenter

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:33 pm Reply with quote
There's never been a period of time where I gave up completely on anime but there was a period of time where my interest was gradually waning, 2009 to 2011 to be exact and started to question whether it was still something I wanted to devote my time to.

But I did as Justin said and went back and rewatched some of my favorites, namely in the summer of 2012 I rewatched Cowboy Bebop, Outlaw Star and Big O, this revived my interest greatly and I have not had a problem with burnout since.

Last edited by Joe Carpenter on Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:45 am Reply with quote
I'm actually in one now myself. I buy series but I am hardly watching anything. I find I go in waves between manga, anime, and games. I'll favor 1 more heavily for periods of time and then as quickly as I moved to that particular mode of entertainment I switch to another. I tried forcing myself to watch anime before to get myself out of funks. It backfired. Made it feel like a chore and it lessened my enjoyment of the shows I made myself watch. Now a days when I hit a burn out period, for anything, I just sit back and relax and don't think about it. I just tell myself I'll get back to it when I get back to it. I find the less I worry over it the quicker I get past my funks and back into things. I also make sure I am enjoying what I am currently spending my hobby/free time on so I don't fell it's a chore or necessary to get back into something else. When I'm happier with whatever I am doing I tend to switch back and forth between hobbies more easily and quickly.
Xiximaro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:22 am Reply with quote
That happens when you start watching shit(at least to me). What I do is, if I don't like the show in the beginning, I drop it. Power trough, sounds cool and all, but it really taxes a guy and makes you "burnout".
After dropping a show and when that show finishes airing, I check it again by score and other things, if it got a big score and high praise, I start watching again if not, I drop it "forever" like in the review, my time is finite...
If I really get burnout, it's simple, I switch to another medium. I try to only read manga or novels that have already finished publishing, usually a manga where the anime didn't fully adapted it, for example Akame ga Kill or something. Worst case scenario I switch to a US TV series or movies. After a couple of episodes or movies, I start watching anime again.
broodo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:28 pm Reply with quote
The closest thing I've had to a burnout was three or so years ago when I too was watching ten plus shows a season. Then one season almost none of them seemed appealing to me. I watched maybe three new series that season run. The following season as well. I didn't force myself to watch anything that didn't appeal to me right off the back or by reading the synopsis. Scaling back can be helpful. Even now this summer I've only picked up four shows when though I watch twelve this spring. Occasionally I'll go back & watch an old favorite as well. That was mentioned in the article. Like everyone else has said ultimately DO NOT FORCE IT.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6