• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Amazon Prime to Stream Animeism Shows Including Altair Worldwide

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rukiia

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:22 pm Reply with quote
RIP Summer 2017. You had so many good shows lined up and now Amazon is sending them to their doom.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
64BitRatchet

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:25 pm Reply with quote
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
64BitRatchet wrote:
I'm curious about Knights of Sidonia season 3, since 1 and 2 were Netflix originals that originally aired in the Animeism block.

They had better not touch that or the second Blame! movie. Hopefully they know better than to mess with Netflix.

I hope they get it, that way we can have a simulcast. Blame! 2 is safe because it is a film.
Kon'Doriano

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:27 pm Reply with quote
64BitRatchet wrote:
Kon'Doriano wrote:
Why must my worst fears come true? Welcome to the Ballroom, Altair, Kakegurui, and The Reflection are the only shows I have looked forward to and Amazon got 2 of them........you gotta be kidding me. I wouldn't care if Netflix got it, but Amazon completely lost my support when they made Strike. They need to get rid of that goddamn double paywall and put everything onto Prime Video, then I'll have no qualms spending my money on them. Looks like I'll be resorting to piracy.......again -_- Hope Funimation, Viz, or any other competent company somehow picks up their home video licenses. That's my only hope.

Netflix has Kakegurui and Crunchyroll has THE REFLECTION.

I know that (I even said Amazon got 2 of the titles I mentioned), I only mentioned those titles because I looked forward to them.
harminia

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:42 pm Reply with quote
yeah, amazon is being a hog.
but so are (and so have been for ages) funiroll.
from a (mostly american) consumer standpoint, funiroll is good because you can watch for free, but there are other factors like:
There are other legal streaming companies out there who'd love to be able to stream shows in their territories, but funiroll (and amazon) swipe them all and leave them with scraps.
Not every show on funiroll is available outside of like US and Canada. Sure, there's VPN but that's illegal and time consuming.

i mean, (annoyingly) the licensing game is a competition. everyone's trying to be a hog. its not like amazon is the only one trying to get the monopoly.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
I think the very minimal people in the US would have to pay is $219.00 per year for both CR and Anime Strike to watch most of the titles.

Who honestly is willing to pay that much per year?

I can totally understand teens having a problem with this, but I honestly pay that much in a car payment every month and undoubtedly pay more than that a year in espresso.

I DO think Anime Strike needs to come up with a delay-cast with ads to solve this problem for people who simply cannot afford the double monthly payment, but I have a hard time seeing that as an outrageous amount of money per year compared to average monthly bills in a household (you should see my heating bill in the winter).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:46 pm Reply with quote
What a surprise. The company that claimed to "serve" an "underserved" market with a double pay wall responds to criticism by making efforts to force people to choose them by just buying more. Also, I hope Sentai got what it wanted because it is looking like Amazon will just cut them out soon

The Japanese companies are kidding themselves if they think this is good for them long-term. Big companies will spend until the competition drops out, and then they get to dictate prices because it is them or nobody.

Like Zac and Justin said on Anncast, Funi and CR are still small enough to have to pay attention to fans. Amazon does not have to and clearly will not considering the continued use of a double pay wall and exclusively licensing sequels.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:52 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
Chrono1000 wrote:
None of the Amazon simulcast shows have gotten a dub and I can't tell if it is because Amazon has contracts that require an absurdly long time before a dub can be made or if the reduced visibility of the shows means that there is less reason to make a dub. Either way Anime Strike means subs only for simulcasts which was very disappointing for Bahamut and Recreators but this season is going to be even worse.
This is only Strike's second season, and only one company does simulcast dubs (and they don't simulcast on Strike). It's way, way too early to jump to the conclusion that they won't be dubbing anything.
Kabaneri came out in the spring of 2016 and if Amazon is throwing a lot of money around they are probably getting to write those contracts.

Vannil wrote:
So how long until the bubble bursts again? I'm getting some serious late 2000s' bubble burst vibes.
Amazon is a bull in a china shop. They might not have bad intentions but they also have no understanding of the anime market and could easily create a bubble. Amazon doesn't care about dubs or increasing the popularity of the series they license and it looks like their only goal is to increase their market share.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:28 pm Reply with quote
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
This entire Twitter thread is why Amazon monopolizing is bad: https://twitter.com/pancakeparadox/status/880614659564417024

Quote:
Anime Strike is easily the most insidious interloper yet. It's doing what Amazon tries to do with everything it dips its toe into: outmuscle superior services through the brute force of buckets of cash. Their end objective is to be the only, not the best.

They are trying to screw over the whole industry this way and the bubble will burst again, which means we lose simulcasting. Nobody should give them money because they are moving in a direction that means everything goes to them because they want to be the big guy and nobody else can step in. Funimation will be dead, CR will be dead, everyone will have to bow down to Amazon only. Tech giants are awful and ruin everything and this is no exception.

I'd love to be proven wrong on this, but if past indications are anything to go by, they want to squish CR/Funi like bugs and hog everything for themselves. Defending AS is practically saying "I want a future where only one company owns simulcasting."

No one wants one company to have all the titles in a season, most importantly the licensors. They aren't going to give Amazon (or CR) all the titles cause they know they won't pay as much if there is (pretty much) nowhere else to go. That's why Sentai suddenly got a bunch of series (which they then streamed on Amazon) after the CR-Funi Pact. Amazon probably helped with the money, but they got them because the licensors didn't want CR-Funi to have everything and cut licensing costs. The licensors want competition and all of Amazon's money (which they will not spend because anime is far from their highest priority) won't change that.

From Amazon's announcement of their full summer lineup, it looks like they got 11 new shows (10 if you don't count Touken Ranbu which is certainly non-exclusive as it is an AoA licensed show) which is about the same as last season, about the same as Funi got when they were still duking it out with CR, and about as much as I think that the licensors will give them. CR will get at least twice that. Even with all their money (well all the money they want to spend on this one thing) they still get half of what CR gets, which goes to show that money is not the only currency in the industry. Honestly if Sentai was not involved, Amazon's lineup would be in the single digits as it was pre-Strike. They may be able to buy a block or two with a big wad of cash, but most licensors won't want to do business with an unknown entity however much money they bring to the table.

Don't get me wrong, Strike was a bad idea and they need to do something to alleviate people's very valid concerns. And Amazon is not in tune with the community which it ought to be and should work to rectify as well.

Stark700 wrote:
I think the very minimal people in the US would have to pay is $219.00 per year for both CR and Anime Strike to watch most of the titles.

Who honestly is willing to pay that much per year?

If they remove the double paywall and charge just $4.99 for their anime, I would pay but the double paywall is pretty much a slap in the face for anime fans. I think this is going to hurt the anime community as a whole in the long run and in all honestly, I have no hope that Fall will get any better this year.

For those living outside of the US, it is not going to be a fun season.

$219 a year comes out to $18.25 a month. I pay $90 a month to the cable company for just internet and the most basic cable package (because it cost no more than getting just the internet speed I got) and if I wanted the next level of channel lineup I would have to pay double. So nearly as much as Amazon, Anime Strike and CR for a year in one month. And that is far from my biggest bill. $18.25 a month is not exorbitant, though I agree it ought to be cheaper and a free ad supported option ought to be offered.

To the latter point, considering that Sentai's titles are being streamed on HIDIVE outside the US and Amazon's own titles are available on Prime (no Strike) in most countries, I reckon the US is the only part of the fandom that this will not be a fun season, admittedly.
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:40 pm Reply with quote
I'm happy Lights of the Clione got picked up I was looking forward to seeing that one.
FlowerAiko

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Chrono1000, AX 2016 revealed "Kabaneri" would get a dub. While the home video release date here is TBD, I think they may have done the dubbed recording by now.

Kabaneri is licensed by Crunchyroll, not Amazon. Amazon has not commented on if they will dub their properties.
Rivailloli

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:55 pm Reply with quote
......Eeeyup. Back to torrenting I go. CR had a nice run for a little while, but you can't compete against something like Amazon.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I DO think Anime Strike needs to come up with a delay-cast with ads to solve this problem for people who simply cannot afford the double monthly payment,

Mark my words, they could do it in an instant but they never will, there is no incentive for them to be nice.

Quote:
but I have a hard time seeing that as an outrageous amount of money per year compared to average monthly bills in a household (you should see my heating bill in the winter).

Yeah, that is probably what people thought one or two decades ago about the costs of cable TV, which has gone up each and every year since. As long as you keep repeating that someone at amazon will be doing projections in how much and when to increase the price of anime strike.
FlowerAiko

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:06 am Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
Yeah, that is probably what people thought one or two decades ago about the costs of cable TV, which has gone up each and every year since. As long as you keep repeating that someone at Amazon will be doing projections in how much and when to increase the price of anime strike.

Can't say Cable TV is a fair comparison, especially in the 1990s. When it was in its height there was no free option. Amazon is fighting for clicks against pirating sites that often have HD rips from Amazon minutes after they release an episode.

There are some fans who will refuse to pirate, but most will prioritize watching an anime illegally than not watching it at all.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:08 am Reply with quote
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
Defending AS is practically saying "I want a future where only one company owns simulcasting."

Odd as FUNimation and Crunchyroll formed an exclusive partnership which definitely hurt Sentai. I'd see that maneuver as much more invasive in terms of attempting a monopoly.
SonicSP

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:10 am Reply with quote
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
Ugh, seriously!? Stop monopolizing and remove your double paywall before you gobble up everything that CR and Funi should get.

Over here it's a single flat price just for the video service. We don't have Amazon Prime in my country. It's actually way cheaper than Netflix price over here though I assume the selection is not as good (for which Netflix selection over here also sucks despite being the same price as US exchange rate wise).

But I have read a bit about Anistrike thing in the US market. I studied in the US for three years plus and used Amazon Prime until I left, but that predates Anistrike.

Last edited by SonicSP on Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7