• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - How Do You Get Over Anime Burnout?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:20 pm Reply with quote
explosionforgov wrote:
I have a similar, but completely inverse problem.

I barely watch anything in any medium, and I always feel I should be watching more. But whenever I say, "Hey, friends, what's good," this ends up happening:

Friend: "Watch [x]."
Me: "What's [x] about? I'm not familiar with the title."
Friend: "It's really famous and good, lol. Go watch it."

I ask because there's certain tropes I want to avoid, ranging from "this makes me uncomfortable" (i.e. sexual assault, lolicon) to "I just don't like this cliche" (harems, love triangles), and I base my decision on a plot synopsis. I also sort of live in a pop culture hole, so to speak, so even if it's famous and well-liked, I probably haven't heard of it. Any tips for rectifying this?

Well, in my case i try to follow ANN news and see what is been made in Japan.
Usually they announce new anime months, if not a year before they are broadcast.
Im also a avid reader of manga and LN's so i usually know what is the anime about, if is a adaptation and in the manga or LN's they tell if there will be a anime adaptation. But there are also the trailers and of course ANN season previews.

Then i give the anime 2 or 3 episodes to see if I'm interested and then watch the rest or drop it.

I don't ask my friends because i prefer to make my on opinion.

Anyway, my advice is that all information is already here in ANN and you should make your on opinion regardless of others.

Last edited by Jonny Mendes on Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
I've never had a full burnout in my 15 years of watching anime, but I've had genre-specific burnouts. Eventually, the same tropes wear thin, so I watch other types of shows, and will work my way back when I find something that piques my interest later.

Amusingly, if it were to ever happen I'd probably have the OPPOSITE problem. Maybe watch ONE show of a certain type and then leave the genre alone for a while because "that's good for now". I can literally watch the SAME trope/cliche OVER and OVER without issue. Heck, I often love watching the same EPISODE of a single show over and over. I'd really need to watch something to a freakish level to really "burnout" on my favorites. I've watched certain scenes (like 5 min snippets) that I've watched dozens of times from certain shows just for "something to do" on occasion when I'm just sitting at my computer killing time.
explosionforgov

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Jonny Mendes wrote:
Well, in my case i try to follow ANN news and see what is been made in Japan.
Usually they announce new anime months, if not a year before they are broadcast.
Im also a avid reader of manga and LN's so i usually know what is the anime about, if is a adaptation and in the manga or LN's they tell if there will be a anime adaptation. But there are also the trailers and of course ANN season previews and reviews.

Than i give the anime 2 or 3 episodes to see if I'm interested and then watch the rest or drop it.

I don't ask my friends because i prefer to make my on opinion.

Anyway, my advice is that all information is already here in ANN and you should make your on opinion regardless of others.

I tend to ask my friends because I value their judgement/our similar interests, and because there's so much coming out that my eyes honestly glaze over, and it gets overwhelming. (I guess I'm easily intimidated?) There's also decades of backlog for me to watch-- I've always been pretty much flat broke, so I own next to no DVD's (or VHS'es), no light novels, and very little manga. So I'm also looking for recommendations on anything older that I might have missed.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:41 pm Reply with quote
You don't get over it. You chase that golden bough called perfection, never satisfied, dying a little inside every day until one day you can't even remember why you liked this garbage and spend entire weeks in a near coma because sleeping is better than being awake and you can't remember the last time you were happy, or if you ever were.

Or, you know, find other interests instead of letting your life revolve solely around anime, allowing your appreciation for it contrast with your interest in other forms of entertainment so that you don't exhaust yourself. That could work, too. Either one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:54 pm Reply with quote
explosionforgov wrote:

I tend to ask my friends because I value their judgement/our similar interests, and because there's so much coming out that my eyes honestly glaze over, and it gets overwhelming. (I guess I'm easily intimidated?) There's also decades of backlog for me to watch-- I've always been pretty much flat broke, so I own next to no DVD's (or VHS'es), no light novels, and very little manga. So I'm also looking for recommendations on anything older that I might have missed.

Ok, let me see, something older and no harem and cliches.

Have you ever watched?
Simoun anime#6287
Kobato. anime#10542
Tegami Bachi anime#10831
Ookami to Koushinryou anime#8537
Seirei no Moribito anime#6634
Claymore anime#7028
Mai-Hime anime#4155
Shinigami no Ballad anime#6201
Angel Beats! anime#10885
Uta-Kata anime#4444
Kemono no Souja Erin anime#10291
Haibane Renmei anime#1871
They are pretty good. If possible try and maybe you will like them.

Last edited by Jonny Mendes on Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:01 pm Reply with quote
I don't know why, but a lot of anime fans for one reason or another feel compelled to watch all of something, even if they hate it and aren't enjoying it at all. If they watch one episode, they have to watch all of them, no matter how much they aren't enjoying it. This makes no sense.

There is no anime-god who will come to your house and smite you for dropping crap that you hate. The only outcome is that you'll have more time to watch other stuff and do other things.

I don't really get anime burnout any more but whenever I've burned out on something before, the answer is just to fall back and give it a rest. Time will past and I won't be able to stay away or I'll realize it was just a fad for me and I'm done with it. If you're not a professional and making a living off of it, setting it down is a surefire way to get rid of burnout.
Velius

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Quote:
watching eight to ten shows at the same time

lol I laughed at this because that's what I go down to when I'm burnt out. Normally doing 20-30 shows a season for the last decade or so. Now and then I have to intentionally cut as much as possible. Summer 2017 looks like mostly garbage, thankfully....so I'm only looking at around 10 shows at best.

and I full agree with the statements that no one should watch anime simply to "keep up". It's supposed to be enjoyable. Plain and simple, IMO.

I would say that watching what is "enjoyable" to not get burned out is a good suggestion, when you are newer to anime. I've been watching dubbed anime since '96 and subbed anime since '04 and my MAL account says I've watched 5,681 episodes of anime. When you have been watching anime for long time and you start following 20-30 shows a season, I find it near impossible that you honestly find each show "enjoyable".

You get to a point (at least for me) that the majority of anime is never going to be as enjoyable as it once was. During the spring season I followed about 10 shows and could honestly say that only 1 of them was legitimately enjoyable, that being AoT. Not that those other 9 shows were bad or that I didn't like watching them on some level, but more to the point that about 10 shows a season is the amount I can watch right now, because I like anime. That number may go up or down, depending on what else I have going on.

And I think that is main key to not getting burned out for long time anime watches: know how many shows you can handle (not enjoy per se) and spend time doing other stuff as well, like reading books, playing video games, watching movies and hanging out with friends/family, as other people have already said.

Last edited by Velius on Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:23 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
You don't get over it. You chase that golden bough called perfection, never satisfied, dying a little inside every day until one day you can't even remember why you liked this garbage and spend entire weeks in a near coma because sleeping is better than being awake and you can't remember the last time you were happy, or if you ever were.

Or, you know, find other interests instead of letting your life revolve solely around anime, allowing your appreciation for it contrast with your interest in other forms of entertainment so that you don't exhaust yourself. That could work, too. Either one.

...Is this a subtweet? Or maybe a group-subtweet, if that's a thing?
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:

...Is this a subtweet? Or maybe a group-subtweet, if that's a thing?

It's a subtweet to myself.

Very meta.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Blackiris_

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Justin wrote:
The odds of you being able to successfully predict which shows will end up being worthwhile aren't very good.

I very much disagree with that. If you know your own taste, keep up with the news and are somewhat knowledgable about anime staff und how certain types of shows usually turn out, it is rather easy to predict what shows are going to be interesting, even before the start of the first episode. Of course there will always be titles that disappoint you or those that turn out to be unexpected hits, but experience has proven to me that my hunches and predictions tend to be correct far more often than not. (It works even better the other way round: Predicting which shows won't be good or interesting.) I mostly decide beforehand what shows I'm going to watch and it usually turns out my choices were correct.

But I generally agree. Keeping up with lots of different ongoing shows can be a big factor for anime burnout and it happened to me, too. Watch older stuff from your backlog that is really good, or revisit excellent shows you've watched a couple of years ago.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:56 pm Reply with quote
I've never really experienced anime burnout. If anything, my interest in anime has only grown over time. It's about the only thing I watch anymore along with toku. I also disagree about not being able to predict which shows you'll like. Just reading a synopsis is generally a safe bet for me to know if I'll enjoy it. I try to give every show a season at least one episode, though, and go from there.

-Stuart Smith
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:24 pm Reply with quote
H. Guderian wrote:
My current burnout is a combination of increased workload and the fact no one talks about anime anymore. its all twitter strings or social media posting. The days of sitting in an IRC channel and discussing the new happenings of the week are over, especially amongst the younger crowd.

Why share thoughts with your friends when shallower statements can generate 'likes' and 'favs' and 'retweets'? Talking with your friends is nothing when compared to a non-consequential numerical value.

No offense, but "not talking about anime on IRC" or "my friends aren't talking about anime" aren't the same as "not talking about anime. There's plenty of places to discuss currently airing shows, from dedicated discussion threads on the ANN and Crunchyroll forums to a plethora of blogs.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Um, watch more anime? I don't understand the question as there hasn't been a point in my life where I haven't been watching animation which just happens to be anime these days because of the state of NA animation.

Quote:
It was pretty much the only media I was consuming and it wouldn't be uncommon for me to be watching eight to ten shows at the same time.
Ahh, simulcasts, the bane of attention spans. Pick a couple that most match your interests in a weekly basis but once they're all up then watch the more uninvolving/average ones on their own.

"Week then weak" I do plan on watching all my DVD anime... even the bad ones; I am not looking forward to Papuwa but it will be done, eventually... but with streaming, if a show doesn't catch my interest in a few episodes or if it outright annoys me in a single episode, it's gone.

The only exception was My Hero Academia which simplistic shounen premise of "you got to have power to be a hero!" first alienated me to what could have been an interesting story about what really makes a hero. I waited until I heard there was a second season and tried watching it again... only to get stuck around episode 8 with an incurious main character whose entire world is being manipulated by its writer in a such a way that the hero can only have abilities or be restrained by his situation when it suits the writer. There are no rules for his powers, only drama.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Justin wrote:
I think the first step to combatting that is to stop trying to keep up with current shows. Your time is valuable, your sanity is finite, and frankly, the odds of you being able to successfully predict which shows will end up being worthwhile aren't very good. Wait a season or two, listen and find out which shows people are still talking about months after they stopped airing. THOSE are the ones that, generally, are worth your time.

This is... very questionable advice at best. Unless the OP (and Justin) are very much unlike myself, better than three quarters of what people are "still talking about" are shows that don't interest me in the least.

The best thing to do is limit what you watch. Check the news and early reviews to find out what you might be interested in. And be willing (and able) to drop whatever shows you don't enjoy.

And erase that backlog queue. All it does is feed into a cycle of guilt for never watching any of it.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:43 pm Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:
H. Guderian wrote:
My current burnout is a combination of increased workload and the fact no one talks about anime anymore. its all twitter strings or social media posting. The days of sitting in an IRC channel and discussing the new happenings of the week are over, especially amongst the younger crowd.

Why share thoughts with your friends when shallower statements can generate 'likes' and 'favs' and 'retweets'? Talking with your friends is nothing when compared to a non-consequential numerical value.

No offense, but "not talking about anime on IRC" or "my friends aren't talking about anime" aren't the same as "not talking about anime. There's plenty of places to discuss currently airing shows, from dedicated discussion threads on the ANN and Crunchyroll forums to a plethora of blogs.

True, but the traffic and posts on a lot of, if not most, online forums has declined drastically in recent years. Some of the forums I frequent use to be able to regularly arrange group viewings, and there regular discussions about new shows. A lot of them have dried up, and only a core group of posters remain. Even the forums here at ANN don't get as much discussion as their Facebook and Twitter posts do.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6