• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Controversial Oculus Founder Cosplays as Metal Gear Solid 5's Quiet

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Juno016

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 1:58 am Reply with quote
mglittlerobin wrote:
Everyone's going on about his pro-Trump stance when what they really need to complain about is how he makes for an ugly, fat Quiet. This is why guys shouldn't crossplay, it just doesn't work! Please don't get mad at me for calling him ugly in that costume!

While there are some people who crossplay with legitimate intents to look more feminine (or they like the manly look/feel with feminine clothes), I have a feeling he pretty much did this BECAUSE it would be weird and unique. Not "hasn't been done before" unique, but... unusual and meant to characterize what he already knows about how his body looks in this outfit.

Or maybe he just wanted to legitimately cosplay Quiet because he likes Quiet? I don't know and I can't speak for him, but you can bet I've met a lot of crossplayers who did it just because they thought it would be funny or grab attention in some way (positive or negative). And you, my friend, most certainly enjoy giving them that attention.

Really, though, have you not seen crossplayers at conventions or even during Halloween? Most of the ones I've come across are not, in any way, legitimate transvestites. Or if they are, they are good at hiding it. They presumably never intended to look attractive to the "male gaze".
msgundam2

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 2:21 am Reply with quote
Glad to see him and his girlfriend is doing well. His girlfriend was also bullied off of twitter.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 2:32 am Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
Actually Mr Luckey, that's called defamation. Which is very much not okay.

No, it isn't defamation. "Too big to jail" doesn't actually accuse her of having done something. It is just a slogan saying the rich and powerful don't go to jail. Yeah, putting her picture behind it does suggest a message, but you have to actually defame someone for it to be defamation.

I will say that I think he was stupid for doing it, and I completely support backers not wanting to work with someone like that.

Last edited by SilverTalon01 on Sat May 13, 2017 3:03 am; edited 1 time in total
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 3:02 am Reply with quote
By all means, if the guy wants to be Quiet or not, who are we to judge?

Isn't that what cosplay is about?
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 3:58 am Reply with quote
I hope this publicity raised by Mr Luckey lets him get the help he needs & sheds light on an important but rarely discussed issue: White Guy in Japan syndrome.
Ochinchinsama69

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 5:46 am Reply with quote
That's so awesome Very Happy
MoonPhase1

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 5:56 am Reply with quote
Lemonchest wrote:
I hope this publicity raised by Mr Luckey lets him get the help he needs & sheds light on an important but rarely discussed issue: White Guy in Japan syndrome.

I think he needs to lose a few pounds before that.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 10:44 am Reply with quote
Once you recognise the secret reason for his cosplay, you will feel ashamed of your words & deeds
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
Once you recognise the secret reason for his cosplay, you will feel ashamed of your words & deeds

Doesn't look like he was set on fire and suffering from damaged lungs to me Razz
PumpkinMouse

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 4:38 pm Reply with quote
mglittlerobin wrote:
Everyone's going on about his pro-Trump stance when what they really need to complain about is how he makes for an ugly, fat Quiet. This is why guys shouldn't crossplay, it just doesn't work! Please don't get mad at me for calling him ugly in that costume!

The excellent crossplay of Kyle Mistry as Quiet begs to differ! Very Happy

I mean, I'm always down for people doing joke cosplay or just cosplaying a character they really like, but still, gotta' give props to the people who take the time and effort to really go all in for crossplay.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Hey, shut up and go lay low Palmer.

Oh, I'll "BE QUIET" alright, you'll see.

MGV is old at this point. I'm still getting an Oculus setup though.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 3:57 am Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Ronin2081 wrote:

Rather unfair given how the article itself goes out of it's way to point out the person's political views. Had that part not been included then this probably wouldn't have happened. Since it is part of the article it should be fair game for discussion..

Does the title mention it in any way? Nope. Is it the main focus and point of the article? Nope. It is mentioned cursory in regards to the fact he has been in the new for various reasons. It was not put it to directly mention political views in themselves but only outline what he has been in the news for. Considering how every single political focused thread has fared in the past several months we do not need another headache. Especially since it is not even the main point and focus of this thread. So no, it is not rather unfair given those points. If you still feel so by all means go PM an admin and make your case. Until then please stay on the actual topic at hand which is Luckey crossplaying as Quiet.

On another note keep it civil folks and watch the insults. Thank you.

Then if you KNOW you're going to get people commenting on politics AND it's been an issue/headache for you in the past, why did you leave those lines in the article?

I'm sorry but this sounds like another case of having your cake and eating it, too!

I really don't care myself at this point but I find it amazing you guys are backtracking but you went ahead and put those lines in the article!

Oh, and I agree with other people about the cosplay but would add this -- at least 90% of anybody who cosplays doesn't look good at it! It's a very small percentage of the human population that actually looks good in spandex let alone fetish wear like the fellow in the photos is wearing!
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 10:06 am Reply with quote
Exalted Incarnate, free speech has its limits. The 1st Amendment is more about Congress placing limits on free speech. Non-congressional groups are a different story. Also, when you join a website, you agree to their terms in what they post.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 10:20 am Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
No, it isn't defamation. "Too big to jail" doesn't actually accuse her of having done something. It is just a slogan saying the rich and powerful don't go to jail. Yeah, putting her picture behind it does suggest a message, but you have to actually defame someone for it to be defamation.
The big reason why any defamation suit wouldn't stick is that she's a public figure, so different rules apply(now if he'd posted a billboard saying she eats babies, we might be getting into defamation territory).
Sobe wrote:
In the name of the moon I shall punish you!
That picture is punishment enough.
Juno016 wrote:
While there are some people who crossplay with legitimate intents to look more feminine (or they like the manly look/feel with feminine clothes), I have a feeling he pretty much did this BECAUSE it would be weird and unique. Not "hasn't been done before" unique, but... unusual and meant to characterize what he already knows about how his body looks in this outfit.
A lot of American crossplayers seem to do it, not because they can pull it off, but because they can't. I suppose it's a perverse sense of schadenfreude, knowing that people are going to have to look at you in that.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 10:24 am Reply with quote
The cosplay part is funny. I love it when someone feeds the trolls and triggers them Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3