• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 6 Ridiculous School Uniform Designs [2017-04-08]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Wow, spring of 2007 was absolutely stacked. Darker than Black, Dennou Coil, Moribito, and freaking Gurren Lagann all at the same time? That's the good stuff.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Wow, spring of 2007 was absolutely stacked. Darker than Black, Dennou Coil, Moribito, and freaking Gurren Lagann all at the same time? That's the good stuff.

Right?! made me want to go back and look through other seasons. I thought that was supposed to be a weak time in Anime History, but it seems like anything but!
Katamori

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:30 am Reply with quote
Not sure Senran Kagura should be on the list considering it's "battle armor" that she chose for herself and not a school uniform.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:19 am Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
What, no Vividred hotpants (and I'm sure we've had a similar list and I've said something similar already..)
One design feature that bugs me, in the line of the sort of overdesign as in 11 eyes etc., is the herniating boob, where there is some sort of outer piece of fabric that fits around the chest area from underneath and extenuates it. Darned if I can remember any specific examples right now.

I think I know what you mean, and I think that's ugly as sin as well. But I guess a bunch of people find it attractive, considering it keeps popping up.

Katamori wrote:
Not sure Senran Kagura should be on the list considering it's "battle armor" that she chose for herself and not a school uniform.

Functionally, that's what it is, but it IS a modification on the standard school uniform at Katsuragi's academy, and most promotional artwork of her depicts her in that getup. So it is still technically her school uniform (and she keeps it buttoned up when not battling). And even if it isn't, it's very easy to mistake it as one.
Katamori

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:12 am Reply with quote
Yeah but they've put it in this list because of the way it is while battling.The normal version of it isn't particularly off in any way she's just a bit of a perv Razz
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:17 am Reply with quote
Katamori wrote:
Yeah but they've put it in this list because of the way it is while battling.The normal version of it isn't particularly off in any way she's just a bit of a perv Razz

Well, if we're splitting hairs here, the title of this list is "Ridiculous School Uniform Designs," not "Ridiculous School Uniforms." There was an artist who deliberately designed Katsuragi, as a character, to have her shirt unbuttoned. To quote Jessica Rabbit (herself a ridiculously-designed character), Katsuragi was "just drawn that way."
Katamori

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:36 am Reply with quote
Continuing the hair splitting as you said the title is "ridiculous school uniform designs" and not "ridiculous character outfits" or "ridiculous character designs". The outfit isn't designed that way it's just the way she wears it lol.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:38 am Reply with quote
No, what I mean is not that the outfit itself is designed that way in general, but that the outfit is designed that way as Katsuragi wears it.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:40 am Reply with quote
Gurren Lagann was without question the best show of 2007. It's like the culmination of everything Gainax had been building up to for years. One could see it as their last hurrah.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:19 am Reply with quote
Agent Aika was released in April 97, I think you may have missed another show as well, just can't out my finger on it.
Hikarunu

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:46 am Reply with quote
I find male uniform in Fate/Stay Night kinda weird. Maybe I too used seeing black/dark blue gakuran.

More unique school uniform
http://i.imgur.com/aRZNbyE.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/NPuu7Jg.jpg
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:54 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Functionally, that's what it is, but it IS a modification on the standard school uniform at Katsuragi's academy, and most promotional artwork of her depicts her in that getup. So it is still technically her school uniform (and she keeps it buttoned up when not battling). And even if it isn't, it's very easy to mistake it as one.
t's still partly unbuttoned when not fighting.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:56 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
Because of old grudges (and the divisive "It's a sci-f! It's a sitcom!" culture-wars), I fear mine will be the only '97 vote for Tenchi in Tokyo. Crying or Very sad

I picked it, too, along with Slayers Try and Utena. For 2007, I ultimately went with Oh! Edo Rocket, Lovely Complex, and Bokurano after a significant amount of deliberation.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:05 pm Reply with quote
One more random thought: if the column had considered "most ridiculous transforming uniform designs," Kill la Kill would have been a runaway winner. Very Happy
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:32 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
I picked it, too, along with Slayers Try and Utena. For 2007, I ultimately went with Oh! Edo Rocket, Lovely Complex, and Bokurano after a significant amount of deliberation.

D'oh, I missed that one! Now I have to go back and vote for Lovely Complex, one of the smartest romcoms of the 00's!

(And while I usually vote for Slayers, Try just didn't follow in Next's footsteps enough for me to warm to it.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4