• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: New Tama & Friends Anime's Project Anthropomorphizes Animal Characters

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Primus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Anime has gone too far.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Anime studios have been on a series killing and ruining spree lately. If it isn't CG that's doing it, now it's turning a perfectly good, innocent series into a possible fujofest. Who asked for this?
XerneasYveltal

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:43 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if it's going to expand to older demographics unintentionally.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:51 pm Reply with quote
(stares contemptuously like Shoebill) Evil or Very Mad

In this case, though, it's more of a generic teen-comedy anime, with boy-kemonos for the girls and girl-kemonos for the boys, and just neighborhood dogs and cats at that--
And no teasing post-apocalyptic plot to hook the fans who aren't in it for eye candy.

Have to admit, MLP: Equestria Girls wasn't EXACTLY the first image that sprang to mind when I read the header, but it's probably closer to what we'll get.
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:53 pm Reply with quote
>Kemono Friends: Fujoshi Edition

Please forgive me for my intentional ignorance but this looks like Kemono Friends gone horribly wrong.
TaylahAlterleo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:12 pm Reply with quote
John Hayabusa wrote:

Please forgive me for my intentional ignorance but this looks like Kemono Friends gone horribly wrong.

I don't immediately disagree with you, but my first reaction to your comment was 'Oh, right, Because Kemono friends was high conceptual experimental art that was perfectly built from the ground up as social commentary on--No, no it wasn't.'

If anything a couple of the designs are better and while I agree this doesn't necessarily NEEDS to exist, it sounds like a fairly nonbelligerent , inoffensive remake.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
Anime studios have been on a series killing and ruining spree lately. If it isn't CG that's doing it, now it's turning a perfectly good, innocent series into a possible fujofest. Who asked for this?

Considering the popularity of Sanrio's Show by Rock boys among fujoshi, you can't fault Sony for trying to "follow the leader".
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:31 pm Reply with quote
So our first Kemono Friends ripoff has arrived. I'm calling it now: animal hybrids will be the new monster girls.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:20 am Reply with quote
At least its timely. Who knows, it might be fun.
ToasterTehKitteh

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:19 am Reply with quote
So, here's a question, what will be the scenario if they opt to try to go the fanservice route? At least, for a scene or two? I sincerely doubt they'd do a beach episode, or something like that, but just to be safe, for any anti-fanservice otaku out there (I'm just assuming they exist).

Also, Momo there better meet Carla's human form from Fairy Tail, or so help me, I WILL BE RATHER UPSET AT THE MOMENT, AND THEN PROBABLY FORGET ABOUT IT SOME TIME LATER! Mad
Haterater

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:44 pm Reply with quote
I died a little inside seeing this. Just never imagined them getting this type of treatment. Don't lead to crude things. Sad
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:58 pm Reply with quote
John Hayabusa wrote:

Heh, I was thinking of Kemono Friends before Equestria Girls myself. Also, these are just cats and dogs, and not the out-of-the-way creatures Kemono Friends used. In any case, I don't think it can capture the lightning in a bottle Kemono Friends got.

v1cious wrote:
So our first Kemono Friends ripoff has arrived. I'm calling it now: animal hybrids will be the new monster girls.

When will we start getting the full-on anthros? (Who knows? Maybe there are some studios in the planning phases considering how big of a hit Zootopia was in Japan. Not to the extent of Frozen, but it's there.)

I've been seeing a bunch of Japanese furry fanart of Kemono Friends though, so clearly, the demand exists.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:28 pm Reply with quote
I love this purely due to the fact that it is so clearly a fujoshi version of the current monster girls trend. I guess kemono boys is going to be the fujoshi substitute. Maybe monster boys would be too scary?
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:09 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
John Hayabusa wrote:

Heh, I was thinking of Kemono Friends before Equestria Girls myself. Also, these are just cats and dogs, and not the out-of-the-way creatures Kemono Friends used. In any case, I don't think it can capture the lightning in a bottle Kemono Friends got.

Half the Kemono lightning in a bottle are the "serious anime" fans trying to delve into the mystery of ooo! what happened to all the humans?...It's so apocalyptic! Shocked
(Which almost starts to resemble the long-divided "culture war" between Tenchi Muyo and Tenchi Universe fans--"It's a serious, challenging sci-fi epic!" "It's a cute comfort show!" "Is not!" "Is TOO!")

Which obviously isn't Sony's idea here--They already had the Tama cat-and-dog characters, decided to get in on the bishy/moe-anthropomorphism craze to get some new interest in a "kiddy" property, and yes, Equestria Girls would probably be the better "teen" comparison.
It's just an unfortunate bit of timing and press headlines that we all guessed at their other possible motivation for doing it now.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:13 pm Reply with quote
John Hayabusa wrote:

Run to your panic room before the fujoshi apocalypse strikes! The horror... The horror... Rolling Eyes

Is it just me or does Japan seem to have a terrible shortage of pet names? Tama, Tora, Kuro, Pochi, Inuyasha. There's really not a lot of variation unless it's a major character like Ein or Akamaru. It's like if every pet in western media was named Spot, Fluffy, Tippy or Mittens. Yeah, we get a few of those but we also get names like Santa's Little Helper, Ladybird, and Seymour. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1