• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Power Rangers Film Includes 1st Big-Screen LGBT Superhero

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nitsugalego

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:04 pm Reply with quote
kuzronk wrote:
As a Genderqueer person who has autism I'm really glad disabilitys and natural love is being showed to the public.

Is this satire? I can't tell anymore...
Ryasha

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Aquamine-Amarine wrote:
How the hell did they get that she's gay from a small conversation like that? Are you kidding me? The word "girlfriend" doesn't always refer to a lover. Girls call their friends girlfriends all the time. This politically correct BS and catering to minority groups is getting old...

I agreed with you on the bolded part. Lost me with the rest.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Marcus Carr wrote:
Guess Deadpool doesn't count (yet).
The Major arrives five days later.

I imagine those people who care about this sort of thing probably dont count Deadpool because his sexuality is mostly played for laughs and is ever-changing. He can be gay one minute and straight the next due to his schtick.

As for the Major, I wonder if the film will have a scene where Johanson offers a young boy sex. She could be the first pedophile hero, I suppose

-Stuart Smith
tintor2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:12 pm Reply with quote
That sad moment when your childhood crush is rowing a different.

And yeah, I am in the minority who preferred Triny over Kimberly.
Blue21

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:14 pm Reply with quote
While I love that Hollywood is being more diverse with its characters, I really wish they didn't try to hype up every single character that's non-heterosexual, non-neurotypical, etc.. It just makes the non-normativity of the characters stick out more and it goes against the goal of them becoming more accepted by society.
fathergoat

Wyvern wrote:
The original Power Rangers was known for featuring a diverse group of teens, but apparently if you do the same thing in 2017 it's "pandering" and "progressive signaling."

Gay people actually exist, guys. Autistic people actually exist. Acknowledging this reality isn't part of some progressive conspiracy.

It's not that it's done, but the way it is done and why it is done.
H. Guderian

When they're morphin' and fightin' them bad guys (the point of the franchise) this is a complete non-issue. I have no problem with such a character, but does it need to be announced?

What if they screw the character up? Will the movie be 'setting back stereotypes' or 'pandering to HollywoodInstitutionalRacismSexism'?

I hope Hollywood just gets all of these "The FIRST [whatever]" ideas out of their head so they'll have to consider making movies good.

Why not... like... "The FIRST good Hollywood Power Rangers adaptation"? I'd start there.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
The original Power Rangers was known for featuring a diverse group of teens, but apparently if you do the same thing in 2017 it's "pandering" and "progressive signaling."

Gay people actually exist, guys. Autistic people actually exist. Acknowledging this reality isn't part of some progressive conspiracy.

When your gay character is part of a PR statement, then yeah....it is pandering. Besides, 90s Power Rangers "diversity" was hammy and stereotypical. The Black ranger being black and using hiphop and breakdancing in his fights? Pure 90s cheese, where as these days its all PC and safe.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
When your gay character is part of a PR statement, then yeah....it is pandering. Besides, 90s Power Rangers "diversity" was hammy and stereotypical. The Black ranger being black and using hiphop and breakdancing in his fights? Pure 90s cheese, where as these days its all PC and safe.

Don't front. Hip-Hop Kido was pure fire and honestly it would still fly today since Hip-hop is becoming more and more ingrained in American culture as a whole.

Also kinda surprised they didn't make the Blue Ranger gay as a nod to David Yost (the original Blue Ranger) coming out in real life. It wouldn't have been much different than what the new Star Trek movies did with Sulu
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Hollywood just doesn't learn. If you have a character from a source material (movie, TV show, book, manga, etc.) that was originally (LGBT, black, white, Asian, Muslim, Mexican, etc.), don't go about changing such characteristics.

Yeahhhh I don't know of many adaptations that made lesbians and gays straight or made hispanic or black characters into anything else.

Primus wrote:
How convenient for this to be revealed the same day the review embargo goes up. Definitely not an attempt to delay some headlines. Rolling Eyes

Yeah I don't think it's going to stop the wave of butthurt that the movie was already generating the moment the movie and it's elements was revealed.
Bandanaman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Blue21 wrote:
While I love that Hollywood is being more diverse with its characters, I really wish they didn't try to hype up every single character that's non-heterosexual, non-neurotypical, etc.. It just makes the non-normativity of the characters stick out more and it goes against the goal of them becoming more accepted by society.

I'm not exactly a huge fan of all the "diversity" Hollywood is pushing but the reason for that is what you said. Stuff like this will not get minority groups to be accepted by the general population.

Of course, the fact that most Western writers and Hollywood itself seems more concerned with pushing political narratives instead of telling great stories with great characters is exactly why many of us Westerners love anime so much more than what comes out of our own "popular" culture. At least Japan seems to have their priorities straight when it comes to storytelling, and when they put in an LBGT character they rightly don't feel the need to advertise that fact from the rooftops like our media does Rolling Eyes.
Dessa

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Found a pretty negative review of the movie.
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
Also kinda surprised they didn't make the Blue Ranger gay as a nod to David Yost (the original Blue Ranger) coming out in real life. It wouldn't have been much different than what the new Star Trek movies did with Sulu

They only made Sulu gay because the actor who played him is gay. If the blue ranger in this movie was actually gay they most likely would have done that.(I'm assuming he's not I don't actually know or care enough to look it up.)
Lostlorn Forest

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:57 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet, so I might not be the first. But the original Blue Ranger walked off the set because he was called the F slur by about everyone involved (writers, producers, fellow cast members, etc). So it feels like they're honoring him here? I do think Hollywood can discover a way to respectfully integrate LGBTQ representation without it feeling like a cheap, forced attempt at inclusion, they just have yet to discover it. I'll need to watch the movie first though.
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:

I certainly see your point but I think some people are reacting the way they are because it's coming off as if they're saying "Look guys! Look what we did!" As a gay man myself I know this kind of pandering when I see it. (cough cough Star Trek Beyond) Be that as it may however I definitely don't think it necessarily warrants backlash.

Also regarding specifically big screen LGBT super heroes, Deadpool and Watchmen beat them by a longshot.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7