• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shaman King Creator: Turned Down New Anime Plans Because Original Cast, Music Could Not Be Use

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpaceTheGamer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:55 am Reply with quote
DA HELL MAN I GREW UP WITH THIS SERIES!??!?!?
You have a chance to make a remake AND YOU TURN IT DOWN!?????????!?!??!?!!?!?
What is wrong with this world!!!
SkerllyF

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:17 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The people who want a new Shaman King anime (like me) is because they want a faithful adaptation of the manga. The anime had an original ending and development. It already had some changes here and there, but in the middle of the series it shifts to a completely different route than the manga, which is not exclusively bad, but underwhelming in comparison. Though, part of the reason was that the manga was on hiatus and they had to make do.

Well, had Sailor Moon Crystal be a faithful adaptation, and include the elements that made the original series better, it would have more memorability and favor in recent memory. But no, it´s a "muh panel by panel adaptation", so it didn´t work. If you know that an adaptation doesn´t have to be necessarily faithful to sourc material to be a good one, you would understand more, That´s a problem I think it affects recent anime series: the directors are more concerned with pleasing the fans rather than making a good universally appealing product. Hence why there are so many 12 episode series(even though I like Adventure of sinbad could´ve benefited from 24 or 26 episodes with some filler ones)
Kon'Doriano

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:48 am Reply with quote
Well that's a shame, Shaman King is one of the best shounen manga ever written and I had long hoped for a remake. I get why he turned it down but c'mon those VAs have probably aged to the point of becoming unable to voice these VAs. Whatever, what's done is done.
Angel'sArcanum

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:51 am Reply with quote
Wow, Shaman King gets the chance for a full anime reboot and Takei denies it because they couldn't get the old cast and music, meanwhile I've been waiting forever for a full Kenshin anime remake, but it's only gotten the crappy New Kyoto Chapter, live-action movies which still only go up to Shishio, a new smartphone game, some PSP games a while back, and these small manga spinoffs and such. This pains me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Anpanmon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:08 am Reply with quote
Kon'Doriano wrote:
Well that's a shame, Shaman King is one of the best shounen manga ever written and I had long hoped for a remake. I get why he turned it down but c'mon those VAs have probably aged to the point of becoming unable to voice these VAs. Whatever, what's done is done.

Your point may valid. But, Takei already fond with the original cast. He is afraid that the studio will hire a VA who is popular but the VA's voice didn't suitable to the character.

Besides that, Japanese VA can pull it off even they already aged. Especially Megumi Hayashibara who can pull her younger voice. Look at her performance as AI Haibara in Detective Conan
KutovoiAnton

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:35 am Reply with quote
Kon'Doriano wrote:
c'mon those VAs have probably aged to the point of becoming unable to voice these VAs. Whatever, what's done is done.

Not really. All of the Shaman King main cast members are still active and still using the voices they were using back then. 15 years isn't that big amount of time for a voice actors.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:42 am Reply with quote
And here I am, kinda wondering why no one had even tried to pick up the rights to the original anime and re-released it here, since the most we ever gotten was a few singles from 4Kids and not a full release (that I can recall). I did watch some of the dub and read some of the manga - both I remember enjoying, but at the time not enough to even try to ask my mom for permission to collect it - and I wouldn't mind trying to re-watch it now.

Stinks for fans that wanted something new, but I can understand Takei's reasonings. While I doubt any of my writings will ever become something, I do imagine it and if I couldn't get the perfect cast or music to portray my vision, I'd probably want to reject too.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Well that sucks because I would have loved to a Shaman King Reboot especially one that would've been dubbed right. Sad
Valhern

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:16 pm Reply with quote
SkerllyF wrote:
Quote:
The people who want a new Shaman King anime (like me) is because they want a faithful adaptation of the manga. The anime had an original ending and development. It already had some changes here and there, but in the middle of the series it shifts to a completely different route than the manga, which is not exclusively bad, but underwhelming in comparison. Though, part of the reason was that the manga was on hiatus and they had to make do.

Well, had Sailor Moon Crystal be a faithful adaptation, and include the elements that made the original series better, it would have more memorability and favor in recent memory. But no, it´s a "muh panel by panel adaptation", so it didn´t work. If you know that an adaptation doesn´t have to be necessarily faithful to sourc material to be a good one, you would understand more, That´s a problem I think it affects recent anime series: the directors are more concerned with pleasing the fans rather than making a good universally appealing product. Hence why there are so many 12 episode series(even though I like Adventure of sinbad could´ve benefited from 24 or 26 episodes with some filler ones)

When did I say that I want a panel by panel adaptation? I just said I wanted to have the story that is in the manga, with how the characters develop in the manga and how the events unfold. Faithful doesn't mean panel by panel, it just means that it follows closely the manga while giving it the strenghts of the animation medium. In fact, one of my favorite adaptations is Yu Yu Hakusho, and most of the time it barely replicates the manga, usually giving it it's own flare, especially when Akiyuki Sinbo directed most of its episodes. Hell, my favorite episode is Hiei vs Bui, in which throwing one attack took like two pages in the manga and it was half an episode in the anime, yet it still was beautifully directed.
theNightster

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:40 pm Reply with quote
D-gray.man sequel and HunterXhunter remake both had a different cast from the first anime adaptation, not sure why Shamen king can't do the same, also since 4kids shut down this could have you know been licensed by a proper company
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:39 pm Reply with quote
WANNFH wrote:
CCTakato wrote:
Gee thanks for depriving of us a Shaman King reboot for a ridiculous reason Hiroyuki Takei.
Well, I don't think that reassembling the original voice cast for the new anime was ridiculous reason. Well, producers can think that it can cost a real chunk of money, because some actors from the original cast become top-class, but it still the right reasoning from him.

That argument would work for me if this wasn't a REBOOT, a complete remake of the series, meaning you don't need the original cast because it's a stand alone work not a continuation.
anddo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Nooo!!! I respect his reasoning but I'd totally kill for a full Shaman King remake.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Man, Shaman King's fandom is just the unluckiest. As if Flowers's cancellation weren't enough, Takei had to twist the knife.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Pierrot. wrote:
. Other series like Toriko used to have better ratings on similar timeslots.

Toriko was also airing next to One Piece. Toriko did better in ratings to Pokemon and Yokai Watch too. Guess that means Toriko was more successful.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Just because a manga-ka has the idea for how a character should sound like, that doesn't necessarily mean they are correct. Yes, even creators can make mistakes on casting choices.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4