• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Scum's Wish

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ssj1236

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:46 pm Reply with quote
This is embarrassing on so many levels.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:48 pm Reply with quote
After episode 3 I am liking what Scum's Wish is doing, but I think it is too early to sing such high praises. Scum's Wish has definitely good character writing, but it is not yet at the level of a Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju.
Knight-Hart

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:06 am Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Considering that we are getting a complete adaptation, at least I don't think we'll get an anime original ending.

Whoa, we're getting a full adaption? That's great.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:01 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
After episode 3 I am liking what Scum's Wish is doing, but I think it is too early to sing such high praises. Scum's Wish has definitely good character writing, but it is not yet at the level of a Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju.

Are you saying it isn't at the level Showa is now or at the same point in the story?

Otherwise it seems I have had the same or at least similar response as many people here, which I have expressed elsewhere, so I won't belabor the point.

I'm not familiar with the work of TheAnimeSnob but they sound like someone I wouldn't agree with.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:17 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I've heard the artwork in the original manga isn't very good

It just seems kind of middle-of-the-road to me.
Actar

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:32 am Reply with quote
OwlBiceps wrote:
How can anime ever be an insightful ACCURATE representation of teen romance?

That's actually one of my main criticisms of the whole "accurate = good" argument. First of all, why is accurate or realistic championed over other forms of characters and storytelling? How can one be an arbiter of what is accurate or realistic? Why is realism always used in relation to negative emotions and scenarios as opposed to positive ones?
aifhak

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:22 am Reply with quote
I posted this somewhere else but I really liked this episode so I'm going to repeat myself here, a bit less ranty, if you guys don't mind Razz

http://i.imgur.com/0kmRxbu.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/iZqgG1U.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/eFrV1JE.jpg

that right there all by itself was enough to impress me for this week. And quite a lot to be honest. Jacob was ranting quite a bit about it for the ep1+2 review about how romance usually gives you this one guy or girl who's looking for some perfect partner and you get all that cheesy "romantic" stuff and I totally agree. I don't even want to go back and think about how often I made that same rant myself with friends about how most of romance is just flawed in the first place due to that pandering.
You have some perfect love-interest who gets put in there for the MC to go after, the fact that he/she/it has to be perfect makes it feel like it's some cardboard cutout more than a person. So rather than a story about 2 people you're usually left with a story about 1 person chasing aforementioned cardboard cutout and nothing else. Which really feels silly to me. (maybe I'm just getting unlucky with what kind of romance stories I'm picking, idk)

Anyways, just the mere acknowledgement that in this case the other person, Mugi, also happens to be a person of his own, with his own independent thoughts, flaws and everything else. Just them spelling that out was really nice for me and I really liked that realization from Hanabi because in my experience it's not a mindset you see a lot in this genre.
lhernan02

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:15 am Reply with quote
While I agree with almost everyone here that this is a really good show, I have to take issue with it being any more realistic than the "regular" romance shows.

Step back and think of the odds of the this show's construct actually taking place and you will see it is as unlikely as the perfect partners version of romance shows. Yes, the various people in this show do exist (but so do the perfect partners) and I think they are being portrayed realistically IF they all came together under the PERFECT circumstances this show provides, but this is still Alien Space Bats territory. You would have to go to Emo-Drama High School for even half the set up to exist, much less the full run: two people with crushes on older people who are dating each other come together under a "replacement" pact which is SAFE (most such arrangements are so toxic they go real bad real quick) both have people who have crushes on them (one with a same-sex angle) and one of the older people they have crushes on is cheating...and this is without going into the Oh So Convenient back stories.

This is great drama, very adult/mature for an anime, but it is still completely unrealistic as a whole.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:22 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
Are you saying it isn't at the level Showa is now or at the same point in the story?

I am saying that SGRS is superb in terms of character writing, but as good as it has been, Scum's Wish is not at that level.
OwlBiceps

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:38 pm Reply with quote
lhernan02 wrote:

This is great drama, very adult/mature for an anime, but it is still completely unrealistic as a whole.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:53 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
zrnzle500 wrote:

I am saying that SGRS is superb in terms of character writing, but as good as it has been, Scum's Wish is not at that level.

I know you think it is better. What I am asking is if you are saying that Showa better develops the characters or that they are more developed in it? The former is worth examining but the latter is trivial. A series that has gone on longer will likely have more developed characters, as they have had more time to do it (not to say that time can't be wasted). I would like some examples if it is the former as I presume you believe.

Though aside from the question of whether SGRS does it better, I think SW's character work is good enough to be praiseworthy even if there are better series in that regard.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:23 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
What I am asking is if you are saying that Showa better develops the characters or that they are more developed in it?...I would like some examples if it is the former as I presume you believe.

Yes, the characters in a longer running show would be more developed, but I am saying that SGRS is better at developing characters because it can convey more powerful, acute and broader emotions from its characters. Scum's Wish does a good job conveying sexual tension and the awkwardness of its characters. In fewer words Scum's Wish is about teens, love and sexuality, and SGRS has a wider range of emotions and themes.

As far as concrete examples, I don't have the disposition to offer specif ones, and the more I think about it, a comparison between these two shows is not that good of an idea. I apologize for being a "lazy" poster. Part of the reason why I don't participate in episode discussions is because I am not enthusiastic about the back and fort of exchanging elaborated opinions.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:36 pm Reply with quote
^I'd say doing what Scum's Wish does well is commendable, especially compared to entries in its genre. I'm inclined to agree with the idea of the comparison being inapt, as they are trying to accomplish different things. While SGRS is looking at the entirety of the characters experiences, Scum's Wish is focused on their romantic emotions and those adjacent to it. It's not that it is trying and failing to do what SGRS is doing (or at least not succeeding as well) but rather that it is aimed at a different goal. I will leave it at that if that is amenable to you.

I would not accuse you of being lazy either. In my experience, picking your battles, or arguments rather, is the wisest course of action.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I've heard the artwork in the original manga isn't very good,

Who the hell said that?

Probably someone who doesn't know artwork..... Rolling Eyes
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:51 pm Reply with quote
After watching episode 3 I think I've finally identified what series this one has been reminding me of so far: Koi Kaze.

Sure, there's no incest involved here, but the tone, the style of writing, the sexual frankness, and the emotions in play are very similar.

Maybe that's why this series has hooked me when content like this normally doesn't.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 21