• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Prime Minister Shinzō Abe Supports Loosening Restrictions on Foreigners Working in Japan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sorbet

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
A country that sees the ratio of working-age to retired or elderly people fall will stagnate and fail. This is clear in Japan and is also happening in Europe. Strong infusions of immigrants into the United States are key to why it hasn't suffered this fate as severely and have always been its strength.

And here are the negatives of that

.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRlluHdXMZk

Quote:
I'm half Pennsylvania Dutch and a quarter Irish. White as I am now, Benjamin Franklin sneered at my father's people and a whole party, the aptly nick-named Know Nothings, congealed, like leftover bacon fat, against my mother's father's people. Nobody'd bat an eye at us now, but America wasn't always so congenial to my progenitors, yet it wouldn't have as far without them.

1. There were negative consequences of immigration even white ones like the Irish. Boston use to be a Protestant city and because of immigration it became Catholic city. Wonder what the protestants back then felt about that? Just because the Irish were persecuted doesn't mean they weren't able to dish it out either. It wasn't the Americans who made pro-immigration laws that felt the negative impact. Most of the suffering was done by poor Americans who had their wages lowered and were pushed out of their neighborhoods by immigrants. Some things never change.

2. The difference between immigration then and now is that if you're a Irish person or Polish Jew in the 1900s who moves to the United States you are forced to assimilate compared to a Mexican or Pakistani immigrant who has the internet, 24 hour news via satellite dishes, etc. That's not even mentioning the social justice warriors (people who care about social justice) who actively encourage people not to assimilate or learn english bc that's surrendering to white hegemony or some BS like that.

Quote:
Unless the Japanese government can somehow force every Japanese woman into marrying, then having three children, bringing new people into Japan is the only way to revivify the country's economy.

A bit exaggerated. They need to get more women to have more kids. Hardly putting a man on the moon. We're talking about a natural biological function that's been the norm for most of human history. You're saying that's so impossible, there's no other way?

Quote:
There will probably be problems as the share of these New Japanese rises, but despite what the moral vanity and amoral bigotry of the old dying Japanese will compel them to think, the problems will not be failures of assimilation by the New Japanese, but failures of acceptance by the old.

I absolutely love this point you made even though I don't agree with it. "old dying Japanese" is a very honest term for what mass immigration advocates are really about. Not diversity or kumbaya lets all live in peace.

Also "failure of acceptance". If you're married and your wife and kids dont like dogs should you get a dog? Should you just get a dog anyway and if your family is anti-canine that's just their problem they're going to have to deal with?

If many Japanese dont like immigrants you're saying the government should bring in the immigrants anyway, and then somehow through massive social engineering change the way Japanese feel about immigrants? That's EXACTLY why we got Brexit and Trump and possible Le Pen in France but keep bashing your head against that wall.

Quote:
Like all privileged, favored and pampered peoples, they will assume that they deserve every good thing while blaming others who are different and unfamiliar for anything that goes wrong, because they have no resilience and no have never been held meaningfully accountable.

Yes the privileged pampered people of Japan should shut up and do what the privileged pampered people who go to Bilderberg and Davos tell them to do and open up their country mass immigration.

Does a soverign nation not have the right to decide who they allow into their country? Your attitude is astonishing.

Quote:
Japan could prefer slow death in uniformity, which is probably appealing to those who are rather near to death themselves and can see no further, but those are not now so intimate with the grim reaper might ultimately not appreciate their nearsighted, angry efforts.

Yes because immigration is so great for the young. Because what those anime pillow hugging socially awkward japanese males need is the added bonus of seeing foreign men taking all the japanese girls.

Quote:
If human nations can do no better than vicious, angry tribes scrabbling mean and low in the dirt, hating anything than demands, or even just recommends, higher causes or principles of them, then they deserve to die there unloved and resented.

I'd rather see a racist Japan than than a self-loathing one that has no survival instinct like Sweden.

Last edited by Sorbet on Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:55 pm Reply with quote
But in all that, what would you suggest should be the alternative? It seems to me the situation is "Bring more people in or the country will die."

The way I see it, by the way, is that mass immigration, or even non-mass immigration, will create social disruptions, but any large change will do that. You can't make an omelette without breaking some eggs.
Sorbet

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:08 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
But in all that, what would you suggest should be the alternative? It seems to me the situation is "Bring more people in or the country will die."

I'm not arrogant enough to say I have the magical solution. Russia pays woment to have babies, you could put more funding into reducing infant mortality, advances in robotics, PSAs telling men not to put smartphones in their pocket because it reduces sperm count.

My overarching point tho is that the effects of mass immigration are so unpleasant and even dangerous to a nation (especially one like Japan) that you should avoid it at all costs. It creates more problems than it solves.

Last edited by Sorbet on Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Sorbet wrote:

A bit exaggerated. They need to get more women to have more kids. Hardly putting a man on the moon. We're talking about a natural biological function that's been the norm for most of human history. You're saying that's so impossible, there's no other way?

It sounds simple enough on paper, yet here we are, multiple decades after it became a problem and Japan still hasn't rectified it. People aren't having enough babies. And whether or not it seems like something that shouldn't be hard to solve, unless you can convince a lot of single, independent women, that it would be better for them to become wives and have children, an alternative solution is going to be necessary.
Sorbet

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:25 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Sorbet wrote:

It sounds simple enough on paper, yet here we are, multiple decades after it became a problem and Japan still hasn't rectified it. People aren't having enough babies. And whether or not it seems like something that shouldn't be hard to solve, unless you can convince a lot of single, independent women, that it would be better for them to become wives and have children, an alternative solution is going to be necessary.

Japan hasn't rectified it because its complacent and hasn't even tried to get more women to have more babies. I mean they've tried in the same way you try when a stranger asks you for a favor "Yeah I'll get to it if I have time".

They need to try like the lives of their parents depend on it. Like its a national emergency. Like put as much effort into this as the United States put into the Space Race with the Soviets or the Manhattan Project.

Also we're not talking about a simple choice like "Oh the wood paneling is not feasible we're going to have go with plastic". Alternate solution? There is no alternate solution! The alternate "solution" is worse than the original problem!

I do find it humorous tho to imagine rightwing japanese, who cant even stand a couple million korean and chinese immigrants whom they rage about constantly on websites like 2ch, having to deal with muslim immigrants tho heh heh. I guess the Zanichi wont look so bad then....

Even though my feelings towards Japan are complicated I would not wish mass immigration on my worst enemy after seeing what its doing to Europe and to a slightly lesser extent the United States. People are only blase about it because most of the time they're brainwashed by the mainstream media into thinking immigration is wonderful while the negatives of immigration are essentially censored.

And btw I am a nonwhite immigrant myself so this is not some white nativist screed you're reading here.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Sorbet wrote:
leafy sea dragon wrote:

I'm not arrogant enough to say I have the magical solution. Russia pays woment to have babies, you could put more funding into reducing infant mortality, advances in robotics, PSAs telling men not to put smartphones in their pocket because it reduces sperm count.

My overarching point tho is that the effects of mass immigration are so unpleasant and even dangerous to a nation (especially one like Japan) that you should avoid it at all costs. It creates more problems than it solves.

Well, if there's nothing better, I'd say to go for it, no matter how unpleasant or dangerous it is, if it means a country like Japan can continue to exist in the future. Self-preservation should be the highest priority. Or do you mean that you dislike mass immigration so much that a country dying is a better alternative?

(I live in a place where mass immigration is constantly happening, I should say, and it doesn't feel unpleasant or dangerous at all. But maybe that's because my parents were immigrants themselves, so I'm more inclined to see it from the perspective of the immigrants than the people already there.)

Last edited by leafy sea dragon on Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Sorbet wrote:
relyat08 wrote:
Sorbet wrote:

Japan hasn't rectified it because its complacent and hasn't even tried to get more women to have more babies. I mean they've tried in the same way you try when a stranger asks you for a favor "Yeah I'll get to it if I have time".

They need to try like the lives of their parents depend on it. Like its a national emergency. Like put as much effort into this as the United States put into the Space Race with the Soviets or the Manhattan Project.

I agree with this. I don't think they've tried much at all, but I really have to wonder why. Considering they are a fairly insular society, it would seem like a no-brainer for them to put every effort into rectifying this problem(specifically by making more ethnically Japanese people).
I have mixed feelings on immigration personally, but I don't think it's inherently good or bad.

Last edited by relyat08 on Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Karlz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:01 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

The way I see it, by the way, is that mass immigration, or even non-mass immigration, will create social disruptions, but any large change will do that. You can't make an omelette without breaking some eggs.

There are alternatives, it's just a matter of doing the right politics and create a better environment, that's what Shinzo Abe is trying to do right now, by not only encouraging and creating a better environment for women to work but also trying to change Japan's attitude toward work, which is the main reason why people simply don't want to have children anymore.
And not only I would say this is more effective in the long-term but it's already happening, as you can see here http://en.rocketnews24.com/2016/06/10/people-in-japan-are-being-paid-to-have-babies-and-it-seems-to-be-working/

The Japanese Health Ministry under the same Shinzo Abe administration start paying women to have more children, and as a result of that for the first time in more than 30 years Japan saw an increase on it's birth rate in 2015, a small one of 1.42 to 1.46 children per couple, however as I said, in a long-term, if they keep making the reforms and supporting this policy, in some decades, we should be able to see the japanese birth-rate being closed to 2.

Remember, Shinzo Abe's is from the conservative party in Japan, this proposal is not about bringing more immigrants to Japan but to do what Japan already has been doing for years which is globalize the japanese economy and interchange cultural and business opportunities between different countries (read it, promote japanese culture and companies in the world even more, which is what this ''Cool Japan'' initiative is all about) in order to expand the business environment in Japan.
And Brazilians (most of Japanese descent), ASEAN people, Chinese and Koreans are already living and working (mostly in blue-collar jobs) in Japan, there are policies specific for the immigration of these people, the change in immigration laws mentioned in the article would not change much of what already is happening in Japan, so I doubt we should worry that Japan will become a ''multicultural'' country in the future. (that's not to mention that Tomomi Inada, Abe's protegee in the LDP, and possibly the next PM of Japan after Abe, have a quite strong anti-immigrantion stance)

And honestly, seeing how mass immigration is only bringing far more economic and social problems than advantages in Europe, I doubt most japanese are fond of the idea of Japan becoming a ''nation of immigrants'' as well.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:19 pm Reply with quote
azips wrote:
The Japanese Health Ministry under the same Shinzo Abe administration start paying women to have more children, and as a result of that for the first time in more than 30 years Japan saw an increase on it's birth rate in 2015, a small one of 1.42 to 1.46 children per couple, however as I said, in a long-term, if they keep making the reforms and supporting this policy, in some decades, we should be able to see the japanese birth-rate being closed to 2.

Huh, that's interesting. It's a small change, but a small change can gather momentum into a big one later on, especially if it's an intentional social movement. Well, let's hope it works for him. I would attribute many of Japan's current problems to its stagnant population.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:45 pm Reply with quote
I love how Sweden has become Japanese xenophobes go to cautionary tale. Here's an excerpt from Sweden's Wikipedia page:

Quote:
Sweden is the fourth-most competitive economy in the world, according to the World Economic Forum in its Global Competitiveness Report 2012–2013.[19] Sweden is the top performing country in the 2014 Global Green Economy Index (GGEI).[153] Sweden is ranked fourth in the IMD World Competitiveness Yearbook 2013.[154] According to the book The Flight of the Creative Class by the US economist Professor Richard Florida of the University of Toronto, Sweden is ranked as having the best creativity in Europe for business and is predicted to become a talent magnet for the world's most purposeful workers. The book compiled an index to measure the kind of creativity it claims is most useful to business—talent, technology and tolerance.

Yeah, sounds like a real hell-hole. Rolling Eyes
kefkaownsall

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Blood its cause the new immigrants to Sweden are Muslims (and this board is full of Islamophobes) also what is relevant is Abe said no Syrian refugees so it's more of westerners are okay but Arabs not so much (and yes he said we need to focus on having babies in response to calls for refugees
Also I point out that only the US and Canada are multicultural with say France banning Niqabs and none granting native citizenship
Finally I point out it's definitely Westerners as Abe has gone super militaristic and his war crime denial has gone full swing.
And before anyone says I'm a bleeding heart I should clarify I have a degree in political science with a minor in history
(Why does chrome spellcheck not recognize Islamophobe as a word?)
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

People against immigration are't talking about an economical point of view, they're usually more concerned about crime like all the raping and attacking people like in Cologne. Some Euro countries have even started creating class courses for refugees on how not to rape women, since a lot of their home countries allow that kind of practice and they think they can do it in other countries as well. God knows Japan already has to deal with American soldiers raping their women.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
People against immigration are't talking about an economical point of view, they're usually more concerned about crime like all the raping and attacking people like in Cologne. Some Euro countries have even started creating class courses for refugees on how not to rape women, since a lot of their home countries allow that kind of practice and they think they can do it in other countries as well. God knows Japan already has to deal with American soldiers raping their women.

Well, it's not like Japanese people never committed sexual atrocities upon people from other countries either.
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:05 am Reply with quote
Paying support to families is one means of encouraging childbirth, but many structural features of the Japanese economy discourage women from having children. One of these is patriarchal attitudes among male bosses. For instance,

Quote:
There are a variety of reasons why women quit their jobs in mid-career. But the departure of married women from work is often attributed to the difficulties they face in balancing their jobs and family needs. Many women quit their jobs when they give birth to their first child, and the hurdles they face as they return to work while raising children are compounded by prevalent male-centric practices at many companies such as notoriously long working hours, which force women to make a tough choice between their families and their careers while leaving men little time to share the housework, as well as the chronic shortage of day care services for their children. Employers placing subtle or outright pressure on women to quit or demoting them when they become pregnant and try to take maternity leave is so common that it has led to the coining of the phrase “maternity harassment.”

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/opinion/2016/04/08/editorials/still-a-struggle-for-working-women/

See also: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/nov/18/japanese-women-suffer-widespread-maternity-harassment-at-work

Japan actually has quite liberal maternity benefits, but returning to work after having a child can be difficult. Employers are known to drag their feet when former employees ask to return. See http://www.japantimes.co.jp/community/2014/07/07/issues/maternity-harassment-hurts-holds-back-foreign-women/.

Another obstacle concerns the lack of sufficient child-care facilities:
Quote:
One of the biggest reasons Japanese women choose to stay home is the lack of child care options. As of the latest count, in April 2015, about 23,000 Japanese children were on waiting lists for day care. Unable to find other options, many parents give up the hunt.

http://www.npr.org/sections/parallels/2016/01/05/460801951/will-more-day-care-help-boost-japans-sluggish-economy

Then there's this nugget from the same article:
Quote:
Japanese men do the lowest amount of household work in the developed world, a reflection that the East Asian nation still sees caretaking and household duties as women's domain.

Taken together, factors like these may discourage ambitious younger women from considering marriage and motherhood if they wish to pursue a career as well. This problem is hardly unique to Japan, of course, but the obstacles there might be higher.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:47 am Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
Blood- wrote:

Oh, I'm aware the xenophobes aren't referring to Sweden's economy. It's their overblown fears that Muslims are raping and carrying out terrorist attacks every five seconds that they are referring to. Also, in their fantasies, Sweden has become this completely dysfunctional society what with having to deal with all those dirty non-whites. Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3