• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spawn29

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:03 pm Reply with quote
I finish the New Year with these two anime.

Ninja Scroll - I haven't seen this anime since I was 11 and I still love it. Ninja Scroll was the gate way anime to people during the 90's along with Akira and Ghost in the Shell before Pokemon and Dragon Ball Z was release over in the US. Ninja Scroll is like the perfect action anime in my opinion and I do consider it to be on the same level as Akira and Ghost in the Shell.

The animation is amazing and still looks great even today. All of the characters are great and really well done. This anime is a anime movie that I think even non anime fans can enjoy because of the story, action and animation.

Goku Midnight Eye - Another badass anime from Yoshiaki Kawajiri. While it's not as great Wicked City, Ninja Scroll, Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust and Cyber City Oedo 808. This anime is still very well done with a good cast of characters and an interesting story. This anime is lose re-telling of Journey to the West set in a futuristic world. Goku Furinji is a really cool main character and the supporting cast was pretty good too.

This anime is over the top and sleazy, but I feel like it's supposed to be like that. That's what makes a lot of old 80's and 90's anime fun to watch because of the era that they are made. Back during the Golden Age of Japanese anime (late 80's-early to mid 90's) when anime companies was not scared to take the risk to make cool anime. If you love old school 80's and 90's action anime or Cyberpunk anime from that era, give this one a watch.

Last edited by Spawn29 on Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:03 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
^

I politely disagree with you saying that what I described is NOT what the plot is. I mean, the only thing I might say you have a point about is the episode length. MAYBE 24 episodes is better than 13, but 52 is overbloated.

Sadly, there's no real way to shorten it to 24 episodes since it was based off a Manga. Leaving out any "crucial plot elements," such as random member of the Suzaku 7 confessing his completely baseless love to Miaka and being rejected because she herself has a completely baseless attachment for Tamahome, would have angered someone somewhere. Very few shows are praised for leaving out content from their source material, even when that content really didn't matter.

Maybe the next several episodes will make me eat my own words and praise the "dramatic buildup" of the first half of the series. Maybe...

louis, I feel so bad for you right now. Anime hyper Really, I do.

Godspeed.

Or the Force be with you. Pick either; they both work. Anime hyper

Also, I totally believe ALL those other characters are just there for "fanservice". Young girls watching will pick the one they like the most and tolerate Miaka for the sake of seeing their bae every episode. Anime hyper

Not so unlike harem shows aimed at guys....but the difference there is, I normally care a little bit about the canon pairing....or at least one pairing.
louis6578

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Anyone with self respect will just default to Nuriko, as s/he's the only decent character in the entire show.

Honestly, the only canonical harem romance I care about LESS than Miaka and Tamahome is Keitaro and Naru. I mean... really think about that. Miaka is one step above Naru Narusagawa from Love Hina. AKA the single most infuriating female character in anime history. I mean, I said it, and we all know that my opinion is law and everyone who disagrees with me is wrong. HIEL!

...and before anyone gets salty, that was a joke. Sheesh. Well, the part about me being an egomaniac was. I totally believe Miaka is that bad. And honestly, Tamahome isn't much either. He was amusing at first. Specifically when he was prioritizing money over Miaka and actually showed more personality than husbando #1. Now he's just... there. Oh, and apparently he's a sex GOD because Yui wants some of that after knowing him for less than 10 minutes and being sent out of the book.

God damn, I don't even know who's a worse character between Yui and Miaka. Sure, Yui is a godawful, contrived, terrible excuse for an anti-villain, but at least her main goal is ruining Miaka's life. That's a goal I can wholeheartedly support.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:43 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
Anyone with self respect will just default to Nuriko, as s/he's the only decent character in the entire show.

Indeed.

Actually the reason the show is popular at ALL is because of the reason a lot of harem shows are popular: girls pairing all the male characters with each other.

Fujo-bait. Anime hyper

If I remember correctly, the most popular ships are: NurikoxHotohori (of course) TamahomexNakago, ChichirixTasuki, TamahomexTasuki, AmiboshixSuboshi, TasukixNuriko, and MiakaxFood and MiakaxDeath. Anime hyper

Quote:
Honestly, the only canonical harem romance I care about LESS than Miaka and Tamahome is Keitaro and Naru. I mean... really think about that. Miaka is one step above Naru Narusagawa from Love Hina.

Lol I hate them both....they just fail on every level.
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:49 am Reply with quote
Rewatching parts of Wolf's Rain as we head into the new year. Why? Because it has never seemed as resonant to me as much as right now:
"The world will close up now for a while"
louis6578

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:55 am Reply with quote
I thought Wolf's Rain was great, but the OVAs felt a little too dark and cynical to me. I dunno. spoiler[Everyone dying] just seemed like it was too extreme of an ending. It's all emotionally resonant and all, I just don't like the final outcome.
louis6578

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:04 pm Reply with quote
PHEW! I finally finished! I'M DONE! It took a while, but I finished... episode 27 of Fushigi Yuugi! And it only took me... -checks calendar- TWO AND A HALF MONTHS!? AAAAAUGH! -inelegant crying and sobbing noises- I can't do this... I think I vomited a few times from how cringe worthy this series is!

Sigh... okay. What happened this time? "Oh dear. OH DEAR NO! Tamahome's entire family was massacred by the brother of the guy who was spying on them this whole time! This is a heartbreaking moment for both the audience and characters! These children all had so much life ahead of them before it was cut painfully short!" ...is what I would say if the show gave me any reason to care aside from "Tamahome cared so you should too, dammit!"

How to explain this... I've watched Future Diary, Hellsing Ultimate, Code Geass, and every exploitative thing that victimizes children to get a reaction under the sun. And even JoJo's Bizarre Adventure has made me numb to the deaths of small animals. Hell, that show has a scene where Dio turns a mother into a zombie and watches the mom eat her own baby just for evulz. THAT got more of a response out of me than Tamahome's whole family dying because... well... that mother had more character prior to her death than Tamahome's whole family. I sat during that scene in suspense because the mother begged Dio to spare the baby's life for her own. There were questions during the exchange like "Will the mom actually survive? Is Dio going to kill the baby anyway? Will Jonathan show up in the nick of time? He now says he'll spare the baby but take the mother's life... is he serious?"

Fushigi Yuugi, being the forced drama with poorly contrived emotional stakes gave me one question when Tamahome's family was introduced. "When?" Not how or if. "When are these guys gonna die to give Tamahome some of that sweet, sexy angst that's all the rage with our primary demographic?" When I saw their sweet, innocent, yet totally bland faces, all I saw were ticking clocks counting down to their inevitable demise. Now that it's happened, I have to say... I surprisingly feel...

NOTHING! Congratulations Fushigi Yuugi. You can't even make me care about children dying because you gave the kids no personality. Had you devoted some more time to humanizing these kids, fleshing them out, making them feel like real people, and then making me feel the weight of a CHARACTER who was a force in the narrative no longer being a part of the story, instead of devoting your time to "Hur hur, Miaka's a scared cat because it's so funny," maybe I would have cared.

Speaking of JoJo, even that campy, over-the-top action show knows how to pin down the emotional weight of a child or animal dying without making that animal take up too much time. Danny, Jonathan Joestar's pet, was seen playing with Jonathan a few times in the first episode of Phantom Blood. After Dio came in and ruined Jonathan's life, essentially robbing him of friends, Danny (and sure, Erina) was the only person in Jonathan's life who treated him with unconditional loyalty and love. Dio murders Danny by stuffing the poor dog into a box and putting it in the garbage incinerator for the butler to accidentally murder later. When that happens, you can feel this weight of sadness for the life lost, Jonathan's only source of comfort in the world, over something as petty as Dio being unable to take Jonathan's strength being greater than his. It's a subdued, yet powerful moment.

You see, Danny was a character whose actions in the story, while being the meager actions that a pet can only take, had some impact on the protagonist to the point where by the end of EPISODE ONE, the audience may have felt for the poor thing. Fushigi Yuugi can't even make the audience care about an ENTIRE FAMILY by episode 27 because it's too busy trying to pander to the girls who want their own host club of smexy Chinese super models (and a child).

The rest of the episode is pretty simple. Tamahome turns into Kenshiro with Hulk Rage (Why are you looking at me like I just said something incredibly stupid?), Nuriko stops him before he can actually kill or torture anyone because that form takes up too much power or something (and we can't let anyone see their husbando go full Angry Rick Grimes), Miaka is unable to realize the freaking obvious fact that someone who just lost their ENTIRE FAMILY might want some damned time to himself (D'aww, poor self-insert trash just wanted to help...), and Tamahome cheers up almost despicably quick and gets back into his dumb slapstick with Tasuki a mere day after the entire slaughter of everyone he knew and loved. Haha! My favorite part about these characters is that they're real human beings first and two-dimensional cutout characters second... on opposite day.

Oh, by the way, that horrible direction choice of showing Tamahome turn his face to the camera to reveal how sad his crying mug looks. They showed him turning around THREE times in the same scene because... well, how else are we, the stupid audience, supposed to know that this man is... sad? It's a pretty interesting social experiment when you think about it. If you kill a man's family, he becomes sad. -applauds- Fudging terrific! ...Please kill me!

Ah, and now I only have... 25 episodes to go. -.- Oh, and the final shot of the episode shows Yui commanding the Seiryuu Seven to attack Miaka because... well, Yui is a poorly written excuse for anything resembling human flesh. Oh, did I mention that they're heading to... some destination again, but are only taking Miaka, Tamahome, and Nuriko, leaving everyone else behind? I wonder if it has anything to do with EVERY SINGLE FREAKING MEMBER OF THE SUZAKU SEVEN THAT ISN'T THE THREE I MENTIONED being totally irrelevant to the story thematically? Gee, it's almost like they were only shoehorned in for the sake of making this a reverse-harem anime. ...Nah! That would be an absurd thing to suggest! Ha ha ha... -glances back and forth to see if a Fushigi Yuugi fanboy or fangirl is still aiming a sniper rifle at my head-
Spawn29

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:07 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:

I had not heard of it until I watched JesuOtaku's Top 20 Deliciously Evil Villains lis

Fushigi Yuugi was a pretty popular title back in the late 90's. I found it to be a okay show, but the dub was pretty bad. Easily one of the worst dubs done by Animaze when they help produced good dubs in the 90's like Ghost in the Shell, Ninja Scroll and Macross Plus.
louis6578

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Spawn29 wrote:
louis6578 wrote:

I had not heard of it until I watched JesuOtaku's Top 20 Deliciously Evil Villains lis

Fushigi Yuugi was a pretty popular title back in the late 90's. I found it to be a okay show, but the dub was pretty bad. Easily one of the worst dubs done by Animaze when they help produced good dubs in the 90's like Ghost in the Shell, Ninja Scroll and Macross Plus.

I only watched the dub for three or four episodes, so take solace in the fact that I am watching this in its original version.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:05 pm Reply with quote
louis, I truly enjoy watching you tear this show apart. Anime hyper

Back when I first saw the spoiler[family massacre at age 16ish, I thought it was really harsh but it was my very first time seeing a very young animated child die.]

So I doubt it would still have that effect on me now.....since I've witnessed children deaths SO much harsher than that in the decade that followed. lol

As much as I like Midorikawa Hikaru, his crying feels awkward in that scene.

Oh,but if you are watching the DUB, THAT MUST BE MORE HILARIOUS. Anime hyper
louis6578

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:38 am Reply with quote
I'm watching it in Japanese at this point. The English version isn't nearly good or bad enough to be entertaining. Listening to Bridget Hoffman as Miaka is kind of depressing.
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:35 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to be delaying my final thoughts on SAO until the end of the week (only one person voted for my next Akane Analyzes post topic...), so I'm taking the time to start watching Your Lie in April on Netflix. If I finish that, I'll either start Blue Exorcist or rewatch Kill la Kill.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Enjoy Your Lie in April, Akane! If you are fond of music, you might find episode 4 to be somewhat staggering. Watching it was one of the only occasions in which I was genuinely left out of breath by an episode of anime.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
louis6578

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Akane the Catgirl wrote:
I'm going to be delaying my final thoughts on SAO until the end of the week (only one person voted for my next Akane Analyzes post topic...), so I'm taking the time to start watching Your Lie in April on Netflix. If I finish that, I'll either start Blue Exorcist or rewatch Kill la Kill.

Please pretend that the comedy scenes in Your Lie in April never happened. They're terrible, unfunny, and oddly seem to act like abuse is funny if it's female on male... even though the part of Kousei's life that is most focused on as his premise is the abuse his mother put him through. It's very... bad humor. Not one thing made me laugh.

The emotional parts work very well though. You might find the middle part to be a bit meandering, but I think you'll find the finale is well worth it.
Spawn29

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Now the year is now over. This year I've watched and competed in 2016 from A-Z (Rating them from 1 - 10)

3x3 Eyes - 7.5/10
3x3 Eyes Seima Densetsu - 6.5/10 (Felt like a step down compare to the first one)
Ark IX (Ark Nine) - 3/10 (11 minutes of my life that I will never get back)
Alien X from A Zone - 4.5/10
Ajin: Demi-Human - 8/10
Akame Ga Kill - 7/10 (Flawed but still enjoyable)
Angel's Egg - 8/10 (underrated gem)
Appleseed (1988 OVA film) (rewatch) - 7/10 (Better than the remake IMO)
Appleseed (2004 film) (rewatch) - 6/10
Ayane's High Kick - 6/10 (Short but fun)
Battle Royal High School (rewatch) - 7/10 (So bad it's good)
The Boy and the Beast - 9/10
California Crisis: Gun Salvo - 6/10
Call Me Tonight - 6/10
Campus Special Investigator Hikaruon - 5.5/10
Cyborg 009 vs. Devilman - 7.5/10
Dragon Ball Super (Still airing) - 7.5/10 (So far)
Dragon Knight - 6/10
Demon Hunter Makaryuudo - 6.5/10
Demon of Steel: Battle of the Great Demon Beasts - 5/10
Demon Prince Enma - 8/10
Dog Soldier: Shadows of the Past - 5/10
Domain of Murder - 7/10
Dominion Tank Police (rewatch) - 8/10 (One of Masamune Shirow's best work IMO)
The Devil is a Part-Timer - 8.5/10
Fairy Tail x Rave - 6/10
Generation of Chaos - 4/10
Goku Midnight Eye - 8/10
Golgo 13 (TV Series) - Still need to finish it
Golgo 13: The Professional - 8/10 (Solid action movie)
Golgo 13: Queen Bee - 7/10
Hyper Doll - 6/10
Kimera - 1/10 (Worst anime ever!)
Joker: Marginal City - 6/10
Judge - 2/10
Legend of Lemnear - 4/10
Lily C.A.T. (rewatch) - 5/10
Macross Frontier: The Wings of Farewell - 8/10
Macross Frontier the Movie: The False Songstress - 8/10
Mars of Destruction (rewatch): 4/10 (Would be a 10/10 if it was self-aware.)
Mezzo Forte - 7/10
Millennium Actress - 9.5/10
Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans - Drop the show after 12 episodes. I didn't care for it
My Hero Academia - 7/10
Ninja Scroll (rewatch) - 9/10
Noblesse: Awakening - 7/10
Noragami Season 1 - 7.5/10
One Punch Man - 8.5/10 (Watch both dub and sub)
One Punch Man: Road to Hero - 7/10
Otaku No Video (rewatch) - 7.5/10
Panzer Dragoon OVA - 4.5/10
Pet Shop of Horrors - Started to re-watch it. Didn't have time to finish it
Phantom Quest Corp (rewatch) - 7/10
Psycho Diver: Soul Siren - 7/10 (Cool underrated anime)
Project A-ko (rewatch) - 8/10
Record of Lodoss War OVA - I will try to finish it by January
Space Patrol Luluco - 7/10
Spectral Force - 4/10
Strait Jacket - 8/10
Summer Wars - 8/10
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time - 8.5/10
Tiger Mask W - Still airing. Only seen a few episodes of it
Twilight of the Dark Master (rewatch) - 7/10 (They don't make anime like this like they use too)
Urotsukidoji - Legend of the Overfiend (rewatch) - 8/10 (Japanese uncut version)
Wrath of the Ninja: The Yotoden Movie - 5/10
Wild 7 (OVA) - 8/10
Venus Wars - 8/10
Violence Jack: Harlem Bomber (rewatch) - 6/10
Violence Jack: Evil Town (rewatch) - 7.5/10 (Violence Jack is a total badass)
Violence Jack: Hell's Wind (rewatch) - 8/10 (Probably the best out of the three OVA's)
Wicked City - 8.5/10

Last edited by Spawn29 on Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:40 pm; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 950 of 1066