• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shinkai's 'your name.' Becomes #1 Japanese Film in China of All Time

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:24 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Pierrot. wrote:
At this rate, I can see it easily getting in top 5 highest-grossing traditionally animated films of all time.

Yeah... I think you're getting a little too excited now. It's not even close to Disney, and it's not out worldwide yet. What we can hope for however, is that these box office numbers will restore confidence in 2D animation again.

Uh what? I'm talking about the 2D films and Your Name had a better opening compared to Zootopia in Chinese theaters which ended up earning more than 200 million dollars so it can easily climb up the rankings.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:40 pm Reply with quote
grouwl wrote:
I was always sad that Shinkai couldn't find a love interest in real life and that's why he can come up with these powerful stories. Tortured souls artists are the best for this.
But now, that he's gonna become a millionaire... he can get all the p***y he wants...from anywhere in the world. Let's cheer with our beers for him!!

Dude is gonna lose his virginity like 10.000 times now!!
Not sure what you'd consider to qualify as a "love interest", and I do recall from a Q&A session I attended that Shinkai seemed to imply that he had had some highly traumatic experiences in romance, but at least he did have a girlfriend while he was making The voices of a distant star (Mika Shinohara, who provided the original voice of the female lead), and apparently he now has a wife (named Chieko Misaka, according to his Japanese Wikipedia article with reference to an NHK interview) and a daughter (according to this tweet saying he took her to see PreCure All Stars), so I think that his virginity has probably been taken care of by now Very Happy
KH91

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Mega Shinkai worldwide domination cannot be stopped.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only one getting kind of tired of the constant onslaught of news about this movie everywhere?
#Satou

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Am I the only one getting kind of tired of the constant onslaught of news about this movie everywhere?

Those are dangerous thoughts, you must avoid thinking different to the masses.
Afezeria

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Finally an anime movie that is not from Ghibli managed to make it big out there in the world and showcased the fact that any directors in the industry of Japanese animation can still make quality works eventhough that they aren't Miyazaki. Your Name is the real deal and a huge record breaker, while also would likely inspired more prestigious efforts from the people that watched it and dreamed of it making it big. Being the first anime movie from Japan that successfully found access to mainstream views either in its own home country or the outside continental that isn't under Ghibli, Kimi no na wa deserved all the respects it is getting. It doesn't matter whether some people actually dislike it because the influences it had is huge and it should be recognized.

Beside, you shouldn't be clicking on any related article if you are growing bored of the repetition. There's ton more stuff to read.

#Satou wrote:
Because thinking similarly like the masses and liking things that is loved by the masses will always posed more danger, right? It's good to have independant thought but at least respect the achievement that Kimi no na wa has obtained. It might also be the next tool responsible in developing the Japanese animation industry even more.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:

Oh my god, no. You are not. But you apparently weren't too tired to click on the link and type up a comment about it. But you know what's even more tiring? The people complaining about an anime movie that's constantly breaking records being reported on by a, you guessed it, ANIME news site. Sue them, amirite?

#Satou wrote:
Those are dangerous thoughts, you must avoid thinking different to the masses.

What, so it makes you a sheep now for following the box office of a successful Japanese animated film? Maybe if you were talking about the film itself I'd get your point, but all you're doing with this comment is assuming that people who get tired or reading news that they can easily ignore are somehow a valiant bunch of silenced voices when they're not.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Morry wrote:
relyat08 wrote:
Pierrot. wrote:
At this rate, I can see it easily getting in top 5 highest-grossing traditionally animated films of all time.

What does it even have to beat still? It looks like it's surpassed most of the Disney 2D films from recent memory, and it only has Spirited Away to go in Japan. I just sifted through all of the ones that I remembered watching as a kid, and adjusted for inflation, I guess it still has a few, but raw gross it's definitely in the top percentile already. I'll have to look at more numbers later.

It's not even close to beating Disney's Snow White so yeah, even limited to just 2-D animated films, it has a lot to beat.

Yeah, so it's like in 12th place according to my brief and inadequate research. I wouldn't really call that a lot to beat. If we're talking about getting it into the top 5, it probably won't get there(it would need to pull in another $175 million), but I would be surprised if it doesn't get into the top 10. As much hype as it's getting though, I don't think it's going to do gang-busters in the US. Even Spirited Away only made like $10 million. I don't think Your Name. will even get that.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:38 am Reply with quote
One question remains: can it still be released Stateside before the backlash begins...or does the release need to be delayed until nostalgia sets in? Wink
kotomikun

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:30 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
As much hype as it's getting though, I don't think it's going to do gang-busters in the US. Even Spirited Away only made like $10 million. I don't think Your Name. will even get that.

Yeah, it's... unlikely. The thing about the US is that all the mainstream theaters are fully saturated 365 days a year by American movies. And occasionally a Harry Potter movie. It's very difficult for a foreign film to get a spot at all, and even if it does, people are usually too busy with the several Hollywood/Disney blockbusters playing at any given time to consider seeing it. There's lots of little indie theaters for stuff like Your Name, but they're inundated with weird artsy things and all the other foreign films, and only a very small percentage of the population would ever go to one of them.

American movies (and TV shows) are overwhelmingly more globally popular, on average, than those from any other country, which has sorta made the whole US population (outside of niche fandoms like this one) too pretentious to bother with anything else. Still, rules are made to be broken...
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:

I make no complaints! All I lament is the fact that this will take such a long time to reach those amongst us who anticipate it the most, given the differences between television and theatrical anime licensing. (I'd like to imagine a future in which Crunchyroll and the like can license current films in some capacity, though I expect there is plentiful red tape through which to cut in this respect.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Jayhosh wrote:
Kruszer wrote:

Oh my god, no. You are not. But you apparently weren't too tired to click on the link and type up a comment about it. But you know what's even more tiring? The people complaining about an anime movie that's constantly breaking records being reported on by a, you guessed it, ANIME news site. Sue them, amirite?

No, I'm never too tired to type of single sentence it only takes me a few seconds. Plus, this is literally the first time the thought has occurred to me, it's not like I post it everywhere.

I'm mostly just wondering if it's really worth all the hype, since I don't think Shinkai stuff usually is.
Michael Nathanael T.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:36 am Reply with quote
Agreed. Enough said.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2