• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why Does Pokemon Look So Different Now?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Juno016

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:26 am Reply with quote
On the topic of Satoshi/Ash's name... I'm a translator. When you get to be a translator, you start to realize how silly all this "orginal vs. English dub" nonsense is. He's Satoshi to me and to practically all the creators, as well as their original audience. But the name "Ash" means just as much to the Western fans and the ones putting their heart and soul (or whatever it is they're putting) into the English adaption. He's got a dual identity to some of us, even. I may not mistakenly call him "Ash" and often have to remember he's "Ash" to all of my friends, but as I delve into the games in Japanese and buy the English cards, I'm often mix-matching the Pokemon names. Heck if I ever remember Itomaru's English name (Spinarak), but heck if I ever remember Amoongus' Japanese name (Morobareru). It's... a complex issue. Like calling Dawn "Hikari" because I never saw Diamond and Pearl in English, but calling Kasumi "Misty" because I remember this name vividly from my childhood, even though I've seen the first entire season in Japanese more recently.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:35 am Reply with quote
Sun and Moon has been really enjoyable so far. I like the SoL elements they're doing right now before Satoshi begins his island challenges. The beauty of the Pocket Monsters anime is each series offers something different while remaining familiar and rewarding long time viewers.

The characters are definitely more expressive, like the segment where Satoshi is trying to cook. All the funny facial reactions from Nyarth and Mimikyu, Lillie and her fear of Pokemon, Suiren and her sisters. XY was great, and Sun and Moon so far looks like it'll be another great entry.

Satoshi's design doesn't bother me at all. The only redesign that sticks out to me is Team Rocket because they look a lot older now, but it's not bad at all.

Juno016 wrote:
But the name "Ash" means just as much to the Western fans and the ones putting their heart and soul (or whatever it is they're putting) into the English adaption.

I think you're giving the dub a bit too much credit there given their handling of the series is very phoned in. Regarding changes in general, I can see the argument of 'in the context of Japan'. Given the types of dubs that do name changes are also the types of dubs to replace music, censor scenes, alter dialog, and cut episodes, if one is talking about a Japanese animator, actor, or composer then the dub is going to alter their work so using it as your basis ends up with a flawed sample.

The only odd thing is how some series seem to escape this hold. No one really uses the Americanized names for Sailor Moon or Card Captor Sakura anymore. Not even Pretty Cure, suffers from this, despite Glitter Force being extremely recent.

-Stuart Smith
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:02 am Reply with quote
I can't stand Satoshi's new character design. It's ugly, and it makes him look even younger. Pikachu's design is just as bad.
Juno016

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:24 am Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
I can't stand Satoshi's new character design. It's ugly, and it makes him look even younger. Pikachu's design is just as bad.

What about Pikachu's design is different? I'm looking at both XY and Sun&Moon's Pikachu and they literally look the same. Has looked the same since at least Advanced Generations, if not earlier.
spark67

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:42 am Reply with quote
Valhern wrote:

And, like in most of the anime iterations, something I always love is the expansion of the Pokémon world and its characteers that are already in the games, such as giving proper design to Lana's sisters, having Mallow and Lillie form a friendship through cooking (also, Lillie's role in this anime is very similar to a Nurse Joy who disliked touching Pokémon and used a suit very similar to Lillie's, and that episode was awesome). Different from most of the partners throughout the years, these characters exist besides a goal; they don't need a grand goal to be their own person, unlike most other partners who always needed "their thing" to do, and were very much defined by them. A trend that has been gradually erased in Black and White, XYZ and almost inexistent now.

Yes, but i disagree, pokemon maybe is a child show, but is also an adventure show, not a comedy or a romance series, but an adventure show. The protagonist has to have a great or an exciting goal to keep the audience interested, like been the king of pirates or be a hokage. Also a characters without goal or that has a goal but didn't work a lot for it, in pokemon, normally are considered the most boring ones, (Misty, Max, Airis, Cilan, Eureka, Serena in the first year, for me was also boring after that).

I think the new Satoshi isn´t enough funny and also, Mao and Suiren aren´t enough funny. so without a goal, they will be easily forgotten soon.
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:40 am Reply with quote
I've been enjoying Sun+Moon immensely so far. I really love the artstyle and how the animators are being a lot more expressive and quirky, and it feels more like a day in the life in the Pokemon world rather than an adventure, which is a simple change but it's cool to see things in a different perspective. I'm curious as to how the series will progress, since they're obviously not to concerned about following the game story with how the characters have changed, but they're going to have to handle the spoiler[Ultra Beasts one way or another, especially since one still looks like Lillie regardless of her backstory.]

Stuart Smith wrote:
The only odd thing is how some series seem to escape this hold. No one really uses the Americanized names for Sailor Moon or Card Captor Sakura anymore. Not even Pretty Cure, suffers from this, despite Glitter Force being extremely recent.

Well... yeah. There's always been a huge demand for original Sailor Moon, Glitter Force came out much later than Smile Precure so the original terms and names are ingrained by now, and nobody actually likes the Cardcaptors dub.

Either way, the point still stands that the entire fanbase either likes the name 'Ash' or knows who it is referring to, so it's kind of silly to complain about.
Animorphimagi

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:18 am Reply with quote
I'm sure it's been said for other seasons but this is the end of the pokemon anime franchise. I was just getting back into the series a little by watching XY and XYZ and the number one problem is directing. I don't give two shits about eh animations because the directing of the fights are boring and repetitive. almost every battle has two moves clash and explode in an over the top dumb way, EVEN WHEN IT'S FLAMETHROWER VS WATER GUN! logic flies out the window and no thought has been put into type advantage or strategy, things that season 1 usually excelled at addressing...
I tried to watch ep 1 and 2 of moon/ sun but it's just too cringy now. I've seen seen hundreds of episodes of pokemon, naruto, one piece, dbz, and yugioh. I've never seen a drop in quality like this. It may be easier for hundreds of reasons, BUT IT IS NOW UNAPPEALING TO LOOK AT! which is the most important thing
Dextres

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:57 am Reply with quote
I will just add my 2 cents here as well...

Couldn't they just keep the animation & art like they had from XY & Z and and used what they got going for Sun & moon in CERTAIN action scenes/motions/choreography.....or would this be too hard to do and Sun & moon has to keep a constant thing going with this animation & art.

I apologize in advance if this sounds amateurish or whatever offtopic.
CanipaShow
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:19 am Reply with quote
Dextres wrote:

Couldn't they just keep the animation & art like they had from XY & Z and and used what they got going for Sun & moon in CERTAIN action scenes/motions/choreography.....or would this be too hard to do and Sun & moon has to keep a constant thing going with this animation & art.

The thing about character designs that a lot of people underestimate is that they act as a scaffold for animation. Certain motions that weren't reasonably possible with the old designs can now be done more efficiently here. Animation-friendly designs like what Sun and Moon now has speeds up the process and takes into account the fun animation that we see in the series. However, Pokemon XY never had such plans and so the design was left relatively unchanged.

If animators are going to deliver the character acting, battles and visual storytelling that brings the show to life, it's important that the character designs allow them to do this. Not only does it end up creating more animation detail, but it becomes more fun to animate in general.
Topgunguy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:11 am Reply with quote
I personally don't like the new look. Even if it can provide more facial expressions, that only works for bubbly looking shows which I personally don't care for. I've never heard complaints of Naruto and InuYasha or Bleach's designs limiting the amount of facial expressions they can pull off so why does Pokemon need to go that route at the expense of looking good? The aforementioned are also kids shows by Japan's standards as well aimed at the same target audience.
Dextres

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:27 am Reply with quote
CanipaShow wrote:
Dextres wrote:

The thing about character designs that a lot of people underestimate is that they act as a scaffold for animation. Certain motions that weren't reasonably possible with the old designs can now be done more efficiently here. Animation-friendly designs like what Sun and Moon now has speeds up the process and takes into account the fun animation that we see in the series. However, Pokemon XY never had such plans and so the design was left relatively unchanged.

If animators are going to deliver the character acting, battles and visual storytelling that brings the show to life, it's important that the character designs allow them to do this. Not only does it end up creating more animation detail, but it becomes more fun to animate in general.

Thank you for the explanation and your effort.
JulieYBM

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:49 am Reply with quote
Topgunguy wrote:
I personally don't like the new look. Even if it can provide more facial expressions, that only works for bubbly looking shows which I personally don't care for. I've never heard complaints of Naruto and InuYasha or Bleach's designs limiting the amount of facial expressions they can pull off so why does Pokemon need to go that route at the expense of looking good? The aforementioned are also kids shows by Japan's standards as well aimed at the same target audience.

Naruto (Nishio Tetsuya & Suzuki Hirofumi) and Bleach (Kudo Masashi) have always had great character designers. They also generally have fewer drawings per episode. Since XY the animated franchise has had 20-30% more drawings allowed per episode, which means if a design is a pain in the ass for a high number of animators to work with it's going to be a pain in the ass for the production as a whole. If you look at the credits for Pocket Monster you'll notice that the series has increasingly relied on a high number of key animators, second key animators and animation supervisors per episode. Iwane Masa'aki is the only key animator who regularly works alone or with one or two assistant animation supervisors. Best Wishes and XY were pretty heavy on sticking to the character models outside of a few funny faces, hence their heavy reliance on chief animation supervisors and assistant chief animation supervisors and when that is combined with a higher number of drawings being allowed per episode it's going to create some headaches, especially when you have less than a dozen good animators contributing few of the thousands of shots being worked on at once.

Actually, now that I think about it, Nishio and Suzuki weren't always the character designers of Naruto. Rumor has it Moriyama Yuuji was the original character designer and that's why the early episodes look further removed from later episodes. Word is somebody wasn't happy with Moriyama's designs, so Kishimoto Masashi's beloved Nishio was brought in to take over, but because Nishio was actually an employee of Production IG he couldn't be as heavily involved, so Suzuki Hirofumi was made co-character designer, which removed Suzuki from the regular rotation of animation supervisors. This is just a rumor that floats around, but it certainly explains the rougher look of the early episodes with the heavily use of lines, as opposed to Nishio's more streamlined designs that Kishimoto later began to copy.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:22 pm Reply with quote
What changed so much about Pikachu that now it can be better animated than before? He looks the same in all the photos to me? Ash looks way different, but does dropping the face Zs down really improves animator efficiency?

It's whatever to me. Not a Pokemon fan so is whatever imo. Especially when they change the name of the series and it's a new start. I'd expect things to change from series to series. Plus I grew up watching old cartoons that had a newer version out too (like 70s Scooby Doo vs the endless variants). To me it feels par for the course that new shows have new designs so it's not a concept I'd rage over.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Topgunguy wrote:

I'm not sure if you've noticed, but Naruto Shippuden, being the most Sakuga dense shonen fighting series of the bigger ones, went through pretty drastic changes compared to the first series to facilitate more fluid and expressive animation. It's not the facial expressions that are the biggest thing here anyway, it is how the characters are able to move as a whole.
Re:SOUL

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:14 pm Reply with quote
I like the new style but what strikes me is the less use of tone, making everything appear flat.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6