• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What's So Gay About Yuri!!! on Ice?

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lebrel

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:24 pm Reply with quote
VoidWitch wrote:
My evidence is mostly based on interviews I stumbled upon while researching on social identities and queer fiction. It's VERY hard to find any information about (many) BL authors and their sex/gender/sexuality. Either way I suspect there will be more male BL writers of different sexualities as well as anthologies written exclusively by male authors such as Dansh in the future.

None of the authors in Dansh had previously written BL (in fact, I think that was part of the selection criteria). It is an interesting little experiment, but all it shows is that BL is by now considered sufficiently innocuous that even mainstream (presumptively straight) male authors are willing to dabble in it on occasion.

If you are interested in m/m stories for a male but not specifically gay audience, the "otokonoko" genre includes many stories along those lines; a few representative examples are available in English, such as You see, teacher.
Yours_Truly

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:58 pm Reply with quote
manapear wrote:
Yours_Truly wrote:
Atsuko from Michiko and Hatchin wasn't a lesbian. In no way was that even implied.

It was lightly implied a number of times and heavily implied a couple of times. But I want to know how you know she isn't a lesbian?

Aside from the one flashback where it showed Atsuko as somewhat of a masochist (Anime hyper), I can't recall anything that would remotely suggest her being a lesbian. Both her and Michiko share a complicated relationship, but nothing sexual or romantic.
wolf10

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Thinking back, I'm surprised the article (and this thread) said nothing about HaruChika. Haruta was a title character, the male lead, a genius detective, and also very quietly gay. Stated in text, out of his own mouth, as sharing Chika's taste in men, and the series even went out of its way to illustrate how he wasn't just some confused adolescent who didn't realize he actually liked girls. It also handled a number of other sensitive topics in such a genuine and accepting way I was surprised it was a show for Japanese kids.
lebrel

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:02 pm Reply with quote
wolf10 wrote:
Thinking back, I'm surprised the article (and this thread) said nothing about HaruChika. […] the series even went out of its way to illustrate how he wasn't just some confused adolescent who didn't realize he actually liked girls.

Unfortunately, that seems to be because, as he himself has stated, the author doesn't like writing romance, and he made Haruka unreservedly gay to ensure that there would be no possibility of the two leads getting together. (He also said that he designed the teacher's personality such that he wouldn't be a viable romantic partner for either of them, although I'm not seeing it myself.)

It should be pointed out that the HaruChika novels are mainstream detective novels, not light novels or other otaku-focused material. The characters seem to have been moe'd-up for the anime; Haruta in particular isn't quite such a girlish cutie in the books. His anime version seems to have been touched up to fit him into both an otokonoko (male-oriented) and a BL/shoujo (female-oriented) version of the cute girlish has-a-crush-on-a-dude character...

On the other hand, for the re-release of the novels, some volumes have cover art by Hiko Yamanaka, a josei/BL artist, so perhaps there is some intent to cross-market to the otome market…
asimplesandwich

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Well look at us now! I won't go into detail of just how confirmed it is that Victor and Yuri are in a gay relationship, you've probably realised it by now if you've watched the show. When this article was written, at episode 5, I myself was having strong doubts because a gay ship becoming canon was just too good to be true. But, the show kept flooring me and everyone else week after week and now there is no denying it anymore. I mean, you could, but there's so much you'd have to overlook that it's all basically pointless anyway. They don't flaunt any 'I love you's or anything like that, but what they actually say and do hold so much more meaning. Victor and Yuri love each other, in that wonderful way of not completing each other like the romance genre likes to paint it up, but in a way that they inspire each other to complete themselves. Victor isn't Yuri's other half, he simply pushes him to be the best version of himself he can be. And that's beautiful. As proved in the last episode (ep9), they want to be together forever. "Please be mine until I retire." (thats what Yuri said, the subs made a mistake, there was no 'coach' in what he said, translation errors like this happen all the time) and Victor's response, "I wish you'd never retire." Watch this show and tell me, look me in the eyes and tell me those two don't look and act like they're head over heels for each other.

It's been months in the show, they're not dragging this out, and we can see the development in their relationship by the episode. Yuri used to be all jumpy around Victor, while now it's the most comfortable thing in the world. Something he longs for, even. But the most important thing here is that Yuri has taken Victor off that pedestal that everyone puts him on. Or, at least he's started to, which we've seen throughout the show is something no one else has done.

I apologise, when I start talking about this I never seem to be able to stop! I could go on for ages, paragraph after paragraph, but what I want to say is that you shouldn't disregard this show. Not for being queerbait, or for being yaoi, because it's nothing like that. If you truly know what those things are like, then you'll know that Yuri on Ice isn't that. What it is is a well written show with engaging characters and plot, with the romantic part (which just happens to be between the two, male, leads) supports the plot without being annoying or unecessary (like so so many romantic sub-plots in this world) while keeping the focus on Yuri's development; not only as a skater, but as a person. Now, before I get carried away again, let me conclude this!

TL;DR: It's canon that Victor and Yuri are in a gay relationship, which means it was not queerbait and this article was right in every aspect despite being written by ep5 (I'm writing this by ep9). Don't disregard this anime for anything, not for being queerbait or 'yaoi' because I can assure you that it's none of those things. The romance aspect isn't even the main focus of the show. It's a beautiful story; the two mains just happen to be male, and in love.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 11 of 11