• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Do Japanese Kids Carry Handkerchiefs?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ReifuTD

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Maybe it a US thing I always been told like in health class that people that use handkerchiefs to blow their noses are gross gem covered that I should avoid of I don't want to get sick. Use a tissue and throw the gems away.

Although I have to admit using/keeping a handkerchief to dry your handed and swipe sweat seems way more sanitary and practical then using it for snot. I mean once you blow your nose in it can't/shouldn't use it for anything else other then blowing your nose making it useless for drying you hands and stuff.

Kimiko_0 wrote:

But wait, does that mean they keep that wet hanky in their pocket all day? Ew.

How much water can stick to a hand? I'd think it's would dry it's self in a hour or so.
BethanyP

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:46 pm Reply with quote
I still use a handkerchief for nose-blowing, in defiance of the usual sneering. Yes, it's less hygienic than a tissue, but during the height of hayfever season I couldn't possibly carry enough tissues around to tidy up my face, the amount of times I sneeze. It's either sneeze repeatedly into the same cloth or carry a bulging pocketful of soggy paper, and I'm not enduring the latter for the sake of someone else's sense of decorum
tcdelaney

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:55 pm Reply with quote
I've always carried at least 2 hankies, one in each front pants pocket. I get anxious if I don't have them available, as I was taught never to sniff ...

If I've got a cold or the flu I'll have about 8 hankies with me (I don't get hay fever, but I respond particularly badly to head and worst of all chest colds).

I don't use tissues for 2 reasons:

1. If I have to use one, I have to then dispose of it immediately or walk around with soggy paper that I might forget to take out before washing my clothes;

2. If I've got a cold (and so have to wipe or blow my nose a lot) then the roughness of paper rips up the skin on and around my nose. Good silk hankies take longer to do that.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:59 pm Reply with quote
I don't believe I have ever used a handkerchief, for hand drying or nose blowing. If I ever visit, I may need to invest in one of them. Though as someone who deals with allergies regularly throughout the year, I've carried my share of used tissues or had to go without, so perhaps it would be good to do it anyways.

It would be terrible to find out there isn't any toilet paper in the bathroom after you had already done your business Shocked. Duly noted.
AJ (LordNikon)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Brand wrote:
otagirl wrote:
On both my trips to Tokyo there's always been air dryers in the restrooms...

I was in Japan recently and I'd say for me it was 50/50 even in Tokyo. Some had nice Dyson style hand dryers or none at all, a few didn't even have soap. The best was the bathroom with no soap or dryers but had a place to hang your umbrella.

The air blowers are so unsanitary, I'd take my chance with my pants, or even a strangers pants. No joke, I've seen a guy walk out of a rest room in Ueno, and wipe his wet hands on the back of some kids hoodie. Ironically, between the bathroom and the vic, there were at least a half dozen people giving away free tissue packs.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:54 pm Reply with quote
What I want to know is just where school girls keep the handkerchiefs, tissues or anything else they produce at the drop of a hat. In most cases while in school they are obviously not carrying a bag of any sort.

On second thought, perhaps it would be better to not know.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:57 pm Reply with quote
I always did wonder about this. Now my question has finally been answered. Hallelujah!
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:02 pm Reply with quote
TheOtakuX wrote:
I remember when JList used to include a packet of tissues with orders. That was cool.

Yeah, my other Japanese-stereotype image from anime was "Don't they have promotional people passing out tissue packets on every street corner?"

(With them knee-deep in so much tissue about, seems that handkerchiefs would have fallen out of fashion...)
Kyjin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:04 pm Reply with quote
This is one of those habits I picked up the first time I lived in Japan and continued back in the states. I have four or so that I switch out in my bag when They get dirty. You can find them at 100 yen shops, but yes, some are around 1000 yen or so, especially anime ones. (Personally I have two Haikyuu and one CCS ones.) While some bathrooms have dryers (at least in Tokyo), I rarely see paper towels. Train stations, dept stores, and schools are the most common without. As for the lack of toilet paper, I've only experienced that once, in Kyoto, but I always carry a tissue pack regardless.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Kimiko_0 wrote:
No paper towels or hand dryers, no central heating.. I used to think of Japan as a technologically advanced country, but I'm beginning to question that notion Confused

I think a previous Answerman might have covered that. I believe the gist is that while it's advanced in terms of better quality ways to watch television, listen to music, take photos, etc society as a whole is generally more resistant to changing the way things are done on a fundamental level. No-one wants to spend money installing hand dryers or paper towels when everyone's carrying hankies and tissues anyway, and so forth.

Alan45 wrote:
What I want to know is just where school girls keep the handkerchiefs, tissues or anything else they produce at the drop of a hat. In most cases while in school they are obviously not carrying a bag of any sort.

Pockets are a thing.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:
Quote:
Pockets are a thing.

In skirts that short? That doesn't seem likely.
SaneSavantElla

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:05 pm Reply with quote
My reaction when I saw the question in the feed : "Huh? What's odd about carrying handkerchiefs? Everybody needs them!" Column made me realize that tissues and paper towels are a thing... Anime hyper
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
In skirts that short? That doesn't seem likely.

More likely than you think.
Afezeria

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:59 pm Reply with quote
This might as well be a question that showcased huge cultural differences. People in my country carries handkerchief for most of the time when they are outside, either man or woman (though girls are more likely to brought one with them), according to my observation any way. Tissues are used as well since it's easy to dispose of (throw it off the sidewalk and voila), but handkerchiefs are generally used more often due to multi purposes. It can be used to wipe dust away, and can actually bore more ammunition Laughing (used several times before being dirty entirely.) Anyway, honestly at first, I felt that the question was rather silly but I read the answer/comments and was explained.
Joe Carpenter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:07 am Reply with quote
TheOtakuX wrote:
I remember when JList used to include a packet of tissues with orders. That was cool.

JList? I wonder what they were most commonly used to cleanup.... Confused
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4