• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Persona 5 English Dub Trailer Features Ryuji Sakamoto

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:55 am Reply with quote
Haterater wrote:
you really don't see many criticizing Japanese voice directors and VA when they say foreign words incorrectly or Engrish at times. Either shrugged or laughed at. Not anger like this.

OK. I'll bite. Want to know why people don't get angry when Japanese butcher English words? Because unlike Americans, Japnese literally don't use two consonates one after another (except "n" sometimes). So Direct Attack has to be split into Di-Re-Cu-To A-Ta-Ku to match how the Japanese VA has talked for his entire life.

What exactly is the excuse of an American VA who can't pronounce Sa-Ku-Ra? They shouold be able to immitate it considering almost every anime watcher can. Answer that.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:03 pm Reply with quote
goatnuke wrote:

You miss the point. We should expect better out of both sides.

This would make sense if anyone were buying this game because of how the voice actors pronounce certain things........but since it's not all the complaints over this is kind of petty.

DmonHiro wrote:

OK. I'll bite. Want to know why people don't get angry when Japanese butcher English words? Because unlike Americans, Japnese literally don't use two consonates one after another (except "n" sometimes).

I'm pretty sure no one gets angry because most people don't care how people native or otherwise use english so long as it's not spelled incorrectly or said with certain accents or dialects.
NearEasternerJ1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:31 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Haterater wrote:
you really don't see many criticizing Japanese voice directors and VA when they say foreign words incorrectly or Engrish at times. Either shrugged or laughed at. Not anger like this.

OK. I'll bite. Want to know why people don't get angry when Japanese butcher English words? Because unlike Americans, Japnese literally don't use two consonates one after another (except "n" sometimes). So Direct Attack has to be split into Di-Re-Cu-To A-Ta-Ku to match how the Japanese VA has talked for his entire life.

What exactly is the excuse of an American VA who can't pronounce Sa-Ku-Ra? They shouold be able to immitate it considering almost every anime watcher can. Answer that.

What excuse does a JP person has to not pronounce an English word EXACTLY like it is in English? Japan is more exposed to the English language than vice versa. Americans don't learn Japanese in schools; almost all Japanese learn basic English.

But then again, your opinion mean squat. I've checked your posts and you're not even a dub fan; you've openly said you dislike dubs. Besides, you're not from the USA or Canada.
NearEasternerJ1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Why do people get triggered by mispronunciation of Japanese from English speakers, but not by Arabic mispronunciation, Mandarin mispronunciation, French mispronunciation or Spanish mispronunciation?

Japanese is not an official language of anywhere and is spoken widely in one country. None of the languages above are confined or native to one place. We as Americans can't even pronounce "Iraq", "Al Qaeda" or "Muslim" right and no-one bats an eye. Some random language gets "butchered" and everyone loses their mind.

Besides, none of you know anything about linguistics or the like.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:31 pm Reply with quote
NearEasternerJ1 wrote:
Why do people get triggered by mispronunciation of Japanese from English speakers, but not by Arabic mispronunciation, Mandarin mispronunciation, French mispronunciation or Spanish mispronunciation?

Japanese is not an official language of anywhere and is spoken widely in one country. None of the languages above are confined or native to one place. We as Americans can't even pronounce "Iraq", "Al Qaeda" or "Muslim" right and no-one bats an eye. Some random language gets "butchered" and everyone loses their mind.

Besides, none of you know anything about linguistics or the like.

Simple answer: the weeb disease. Remember to them, Japanese is the glorious holy perfect language that can do no wrong and that North Americans should be forbidden from speaking it due to their reactionary behavior. They could care less about the, you know, actual rest of the planet and its numerous other languages as long as they can keep hearing their precious superior Japanese.
SteveUzumaki

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:48 pm Reply with quote
That pronunciation is just awful. The acting itself is fine, but as someone who can speak Japanese, that pronunciation hurt.

For those asking why we're getting up in arms about the pronunciation, I'll tell you why. In Japanese, you have 5 vowel sounds that make up the basis of ALL pronunciation in the language, with the exception of "ん" (solid "n" sound). A (ah), I (ee), U (oo), E (eh), and O (oh). That's it. No exceptions. Same rules apply to hiragana and katakana. You see "あ" and it's only pronunciation is "ah". No other. Same goes for every other character.

In this case, the character's name in question is Ryuji Sakamoto. In hiragana, you'd write that like "さかもとりゅうじ" (Sakamoto Ryuuji for those who can't read). That is pronounced as "Sah kah moh toh Ryuu ji", not SahKAHmahtoh as the actor says in the video. Japanese has no room for bending pronunciation, and that's how the actors in Japan all grew up speaking. You're stuck with only the sounds that the kana make.

We have numerous sounds in the English language and multiple ways to pronounce vowels. You only get five in Japanese. Every sound in Japanese is available in the English language, while every sound in English is NOT available in Japanese.

Stuff like this lowers the quality of the dub in my opinion. Another reason I'd like to think we're mad is because there's no Japanese voices on the international releases of Persona 5. Therefore, unless you fork out $82 for the Japanese version, you can't get the Japanese voices and you're stuck with a sub-par dub that could ruin the experience for a lot of people.

That's my 2-cents.
NearEasternerJ1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:36 pm Reply with quote
SteveUzumaki wrote:
That pronunciation is just awful. The acting itself is fine, but as someone who can speak Japanese, that pronunciation hurt.

For those asking why we're getting up in arms about the pronunciation, I'll tell you why. In Japanese, you have 5 vowel sounds that make up the basis of ALL pronunciation in the language, with the exception of "ん" (solid "n" sound). A (ah), I (ee), U (oo), E (eh), and O (oh). That's it. No exceptions. Same rules apply to hiragana and katakana. You see "あ" and it's only pronunciation is "ah". No other. Same goes for every other character.

In this case, the character's name in question is Ryuji Sakamoto. In hiragana, you'd write that like "さかもとりゅうじ" (Sakamoto Ryuuji for those who can't read). That is pronounced as "Sah kah moh toh Ryuu ji", not SahKAHmahtoh as the actor says in the video. Japanese has no room for bending pronunciation, and that's how the actors in Japan all grew up speaking. You're stuck with only the sounds that the kana make.

We have numerous sounds in the English language and multiple ways to pronounce vowels. You only get five in Japanese. Every sound in Japanese is available in the English language, while every sound in English is NOT available in Japanese.

You obviously know nothing about Japanese if you think it's some restricted language with ONE way to pronounce things.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kansai_dialect#Phonology

Also, as I said before, Japanese people are more exposed to English than vice versa. You can "claim" that JP speakers have more leeway than English users because of the sounds, but Arabic doesn't possess a "P" and almost every single English speaking Palestinian can say the word "Palestine" without confusing it for an "F". Why are Palestinians better at English than Japanese people?

It doesn't matter. Pronunciation of foreign words is about approximation. Any linguist will tell you that. What do you call Jonathan in Greek? Greek doesn't have Js? Yeah, that's what I thought.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:21 pm Reply with quote
SteveUzumaki wrote:
Another reason I'd like to think we're mad is because there's no Japanese voices on the international releases of Persona 5.

There also weren't Japanese voice options on the western releases of Persona 3,4, or the various other SMT games and spin-offs that have voiced dialog. I would think people would be used to this after about 13 years of so.

SteveUzumaki wrote:
Therefore, unless you fork out $82 for the Japanese version, you can't get the Japanese voices and you're stuck with a sub-par dub that could ruin the experience for a lot of people.

.....Yeah to a lot petty people who treat any english dub of any Japanese anime or video game as being awful or lesser in comparison to the Japanese version simply by default not because they're legitimately as awful as Megaman X4.

Also I'm curious about paying 82 dollars for the Japanese version of Persona 5 as prices for the Japanese version of the game seem to be set for 64 dollars on Play-Asia at the very least. Unless all that is the total price of the game and having it shipped to you faster.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:42 pm Reply with quote
NearEasternerJ1 wrote:
But then again, your opinion mean squat. I've checked your posts and you're not even a dub fan; you've openly said you dislike dubs. Besides, you're not from the USA or Canada.

One of these is not like the others.
NearEasternerJ1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:57 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
NearEasternerJ1 wrote:

One of these is not like the others.

I've checked your profile and you're not a dub fan, you HAVE bashed dubs and you're from a non-English speaking, non-English using nation called Romania.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:58 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
There also weren't Japanese voice options on the western releases of Persona 3,4, or the various other SMT games and spin-offs that have voiced dialog. I would think people would be used to this after about 13 years of so.

Seriously. I never cared for having Japanese voices in any game. As I've said before, it's a nice bonus, but not a requirement to owning and enjoying the product. If people really do base their purchases on having Japanese voices included, then those folks have basically given the middle finger to over 85% of games released in the U.S.

Quote:
.....Yeah to a lot petty people who treat any english dub of any Japanese anime or video game as being awful or lesser in comparison to the Japanese version simply by default not because they're legitimately as awful as Megaman X4.

Preach it BadNews brother, preach it.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Max is a good actor so I have no doubts he'll play a great Ryuji.
SteveUzumaki

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:28 pm Reply with quote
NearEasternerJ1 wrote:

You obviously know nothing about Japanese if you think it's some restricted language with ONE way to pronounce things.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kansai_dialect#Phonology

Also, as I said before, Japanese people are more exposed to English than vice versa. You can "claim" that JP speakers have more leeway than English users because of the sounds, but Arabic doesn't possess a "P" and almost every single English speaking Palestinian can say the word "Palestine" without confusing it for an "F". Why are Palestinians better at English than Japanese people?

It doesn't matter. Pronunciation of foreign words is about approximation. Any linguist will tell you that. What do you call Jonathan in Greek? Greek doesn't have Js? Yeah, that's what I thought.

I try to explain something and I get attacked? Gee thanks. It's no wonder I stopped posting here some time ago. The way you're attacking me is extremely childish, and you really need to calm down.

I just have to ask since I apparently know nothing, have you ever studied Japanese in your life? Also, Kansai-ben uses the same sounds as the rest of the Japanese language just so you know. It does have different ways of saying various things however, the vowel pattern is all the same, as is the written form if you were to write it out. I don't think you understood where I was coming from. Combining all of the kana sounds, you get just under 110 sounds for the entire language. English has much more than that.

Those other languages you describe have nothing to do with this at all. This is a Japanese -> English concern.

@BadNewsBlues
Yeah, I know the past Persona games all were English-only outside of Japan, but when you see a lot of other games coming out of Japan having dual Japanese and English audio as options, it really makes you wonder why Atlus isn't doing it for Persona 5. Also, the $64 copy you mentioned is the Asian release for Hong Kong, Taiwan, and Singapore even though the game is entirely in Japanese. The actual Japanese import is $82.99 on Play-Asia before any shipping at all. The game has a 8800yen retail price in Japan for the standard edition.

Sony has a seperate "Asia" region outside of Japan. The Asian PSN stores tend to get the exact same stuff as Japan, sometimes with English/Chinese translations as well and it tends to be much cheaper than the Japanese store for whatever reason.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:01 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:

Seriously. I never cared for having Japanese voices in any game. As I've said before, it's a nice bonus, but not a requirement to owning and enjoying the product. If people really do base their purchases on having Japanese voices included, then those folks have basically given the middle finger to over 85% of games released in the U.S.

Given how a some of these people take issue with most of the current market being dominated by Shooters, Annual Sports titles,& WRPG's, Instead of Japanese developed 2D,platformers, JRPGs, and fighters. Just like the 80's and 90's that's unfortunately true to an extent.

SteveUzumaki wrote:
Yeah, I know the past Persona games all were English-only outside of Japan, but when you see a lot of other games coming out of Japan having dual Japanese and English audio as options, it really makes you wonder why Atlus isn't doing it for Persona 5.

Maybe for some of us yes. But the rest of simply wonder when these games will come out if they ever do at all.

SteveUzumaki wrote:

Sony has a seperate "Asia" region outside of Japan. The Asian PSN stores tend to get the exact same stuff as Japan, sometimes with English/Chinese translations as well and it tends to be much cheaper than the Japanese store for whatever reason.

I see.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:37 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure why remarking on the poor pronunciation of a name has anything to do with the poor pronunciation of english words in japanese. The only thing that should be discussed is how the name is pronounced, and it's incorrect. How others handle other languages has no bearing on this production.
There's nothing about Sakamoto that an english speaker shouldn't be able to pronounce correctly if properly instructed. If the name was Tsubasa or something, then at least I can understand an english speaker having trouble with the 'tsu'.
I'm sure the english dub will be just as good as past persona games, but that doesn't mean something important like a character's name should be overlooked.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2