• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Twenty Years Ago: The Best Anime of 1996 (And Some Others Too)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merxamers

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:

Actually, Those Who Hunt Elves is the originator of modern late-night anime.

(snip)

Thanks! That's interesting stuff, i'll read up on those links later Smile
Anime World Order

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
I was surprised that the article missed Evangelion which aired from Nov 1995 through Mar 1996 but maybe that was intentional since the premier was in 1995?

That is indeed intentional for the exact reason that you stated.

Touma wrote:
Others from that year that I like that have not been mentioned are Magical project S and Saber Marionette J.

But I...mentioned both of those...?

L'Imperatore wrote:
Back then, anime characters still had visible noses, eh? Wink

Ten years ago when I interviewed the character designer for Escaflowne (who also did the character designs for the X/1999 movie), which back then was celebrating its 10-year anniversary, I asked him specifically about this. This is a rough and slightly abridged transcript of what he said:

Nobuteru Yuki wrote:
So probably, the American fans started noticing [the prominent noses in my character designs] with Escaflowne. It’s probably when they first thought about that...the concept of that came originally from shojo manga...Back then, big noses, large noses, was kind of like, the fad, the in thing. But it’s actually a little bit different in the fact that people who like animation...the type of manga that they read is actually quite different from what normal Japanese young girls read. The type of shojo manga that they read is actually quite different. And so, what I was trying to accomplish was drawing for the normal Japanese girls who are reading these shojo manga. Maybe it might be a habit, looking back. Yeah, I think the large noses might be a habit of mine. Come to think of it, I think someone else pointed that out to me before. “Yeah, your noses are actually quite large, aren’t they?” and “why do you do that?” Yeah, at the end of it, maybe it is my habit, my trait.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
I was surprised that the article missed Evangelion which aired from Nov 1995 through Mar 1996 but maybe that was intentional since the premier was in 1995? Looks like 1996 was forgettable for anime I like... Confused

I too was expecting to see it but yeah 1995. I was thinking I'd see Bebop as well but that's '98. Still some good stuff there. Rurouni Kenshin was one of the first anime I was exposed to, so it definitely is important to me. I caught up with Conan earlier this year. Luckily for Kogoro, he isn't his only mouthpiece, though certainly the most frequent. I've seen more of these than the last article (including Saber Marionette J). Not really anything that I haven't seen here that makes me want to see them, unlike the last article.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Daryl Surat wrote:
And so Sailor Stars was never made available to American fans back then…or even right now, twenty years later, since as of this writing the uncut re-releases are only just now getting around to Sailor Moon S!

I assume you are referring to Sailor Stars not being released on disc in North America, but all the 200 Sailor Moon episodes are available on Yahoo! View.

https://view.yahoo.com/show/sailor-moon/episodes
luffypirate

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:09 pm Reply with quote
I like a lot of these series, especially Kodocha. It was one of the first series I watched digital fansub in '98-'99. Good ol' mIRC and RealPlayer (lol)
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:15 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
L'Imperatore wrote:

Pretty much the first thing I noticed when I popped in Escaflowne last night. Laughing
Anime has never had noses like Escaflowne, Escaflowne was unique when it came to noses. 90s noses are small triangles.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
This does of course mean that the violent crime rate of Conan’s Japan is several times higher than New York City or Chicago

How does it compare to Cabot Cove?
KH91

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Thank you for mentioning 08th MS Team. It is one of the GOAT's. Are you going to do a manga version of this? Yu-Gi-Oh!(1996) deserves a mention if you do.
Wrial Huden

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
that weird and unnecessary Kimagure Orange Road sequel movie

I think what put some people off about the Shin KOR (Summer's Beginning) movie was the change in character design. Most of the characters bore little resemblance to their original designs from the TV and OVA series (and yes, even the movie "I Want To Return To That Day").

While certainly not the best in the KOR franchise, I didn't think it was all bad. It was nice to revisit these characters after about 7 years or so. It was a bit confusing at times, but I could say the same about several of the KOR TV episodes. Perhaps the sequel movie was unnecessary, but some higher-up at a production company wanted to attempt to revive KOR in some form. Obviously it failed...
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
All the later spinoffs, needless sequels that can all be summarized by the phrase “Tenchi meets another girl”

...Boy, we could tell you're a 90's survivor--Those old Tenchi in Tokyo grudges die hard, don't they? Shocked
(Me, I always consider Tokyo the last "real" Tenchi series, since it follows directly upon the Universe canon and tries to wrap it up before the Tenchi Forever movie officially tried to be the "finale".
It's the old OAV-vs.-TV "It's a sci-fi epic!" "It's comfort-food harem-com done right!" battle that determines whether Tokyo should be underappreciated for its character humor or tarred and feathered for its crimes against humanity, but I'm with the Universe crowd that sticks up for it. Watching past the Ep. 6 reboot, which most of the loudest surviving haters never did, also helps.)

As for "Why 1996?", apart from the fact that anime was still a mainstream TV/marketing industry that could saturate Japanese pop-culture without fear, embarrassment or bigotry--probably one of the last few years--it was also a year or two before DVD started to catch on with early adopters...Many of whom were crossover gamer/anime fans, had started devouring up any disks they could find to play on their PS2, and to have anime on disk was just too perfect.
Anime adopted DVD early because dual-language and subtitles made things easier for the US video companies; Slayers had Software Sculptors' computer-software company behind it, and Tenchi, as noted, had Pioneer trying to sell their players and disks in both countries.

Also, the Internet was more established, and a few isolated Geocities fan pages could now become a full gray-market of anime forums and tape-trading sites.
If you were addicted to Kodocha, you got it on high-quality purple Kodocha Fansubs tapes, and if you saw Sailor Stars at all, it was courtesy of VKLL.

And yes, I'll mention Shinesman even if you don't have time. The title that helped bring some peace to the Dub Wars. Anime smile
Sailor_Arashi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:12 pm Reply with quote
L'Imperatore wrote:

Actually this was a brand-new thing as of mid-90's anime. In fact one of the reviews for Macross Plus (1995) ran with the headline "Anime Characters Unafraid To Have A Nose!"

MarshalBanana wrote:
Anime has never had noses like Escaflowne, Escaflowne was unique when it came to noses. 90s noses are small triangles.

Vision of Escaflowne was released a year later than Macross Plus, and was actually created by Macross series creator Shōji Kawamori, who brought his striking new nose aesthetic to his new creation. Escaflowne was not at all unique, it was copying a prior runaway success, but it was one of an elite few.

Last edited by Sailor_Arashi on Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sailor_Arashi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The thing about discussing anime of the 1980s is that, relatively speaking, only a small contingent of fans from that era are still active online in anime fan circles to weigh in.

But we're clearly the best of the bunch! Wink

Quote:
The hyper-kinetic shojo comedy that started on April 5th of 1996 let loose the floodgates for frenetically paced wacky hijinks for years to come, though it'd be a little while longer before choreographed group dance credit sequences would catch on.

Quote:
Come to think of it, a lot of shojo romance back then featured handsome male love interests who were downright abusive bullies. Why, that one sentence just summarized Boys Over Flowers, also from 1996!

It's really weird that you mention Kodocha's unusual dance credit sequences, mention that they were uncommon, then go on to bring up Hana Yori Dango without noting that it had an even weirder choreographed group dance sequence opening! At least Kodocha's opening featured the characters doing the sort of things they did in the show. HYD's opening has absolutely nothing to do with the show at all other than featuring the main characters...none of whom are in a dance troupe despite what the opening might suggest.

For anyone interested in exactly how weird Kodocha was, though, here's both openings:
https://youtu.be/erh6DUUXsjA
https://youtu.be/8Ez0zrDxwkY
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:09 pm Reply with quote
You're Under Arrest, 08th MS Team, and Nadesico are still on my all-time favorites list. Slayers and Rurouni Kenshin were always hit-and-miss with me, but I do think Tenchi Muyo started going off the rails with Tenchi In Love.

Sailor_Arashi wrote:
Quote:
The thing about discussing anime of the 1980s is that, relatively speaking, only a small contingent of fans from that era are still active online in anime fan circles to weigh in.

But we're clearly the best of the bunch! Wink

Dang straight! Wink
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Birdy the Mighty was awesome too, glad it got a mention at the very end!

Was so happy when it finally got its new anime version in Birdy the Mighty: Decode. I need to re-watch it, but I already still throw on some of it's gorgeous action scenes from time to time.

Marzan wrote:
Twenty years! The nostalgia hit me like a jackhammer reading this. I'm oooold in anime terms.

You're not alone!
So many memories of watching many of these series.

Last edited by DangerMouse on Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Ah, the late mid 90s sure were a wondrous time, when many of us became literally immersed in anime. Good times.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5