• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Animation Blu-ray Disc Ranking, September 26-October 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:16 am Reply with quote
The other fun thing to notice is the absence of the first volume of Rewrite. The latest someanithing post speculates it might be in the 1,800 range… not the kind of numbers you'd expect from a show that got a second season.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:18 am Reply with quote
I was hoping for good numbers for New Game!, and 6k+ from the first volume is solid.
tintor2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:25 am Reply with quote
Right in my innocence. Not even 91 Days and Hallow made it.
WingKing

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:35 am Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
I've kind of wondered for a while that if they could navigate the transition from µ's to Aqours, whether Love Live! could basically become Sunrise's new Gundam: a reliable cash cow franchise that they can extend every year or so with slight tweaks and occasionally restart with entirely new casts. So, just as Mobile Suit Gundam led to Z, ZZ, etc., maybe we can expect Love Live Sunshine, Love Live Sunshine Sunshine, Saint Snow's Counterattack, and so on.

I was thinking that it could be another Precure, although that franchise is Toei's baby, but basically the exact same idea as where you're going with Gundam. I've had Precure stuck in my head, though, because the consensus opinion on its second season, Max Heart, is basically much the same as what a lot of people have said about Sunshine - leans too much on its predecessor in the first half, comes into its own in the second half.

Plus, if they followed the Precure model, how cool would it be to get an occasional "Love Live All-Stars" crossover movie with multiple past groups making appearances?
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:58 am Reply with quote
I wasn't sure how Mob would end up selling, but it seems like it did pretty well for itself. Last someone told me, 2,000 units was how much a release needed to sell to be considered a success (which I've always found sort of comical, but when you look at those ludicrous prices it all makes sense). Regardless, I just want a second season announcement.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:09 am Reply with quote
Awww Amanchu! didn't make 3k but good the LLS hopfuly will get another season soon
Pokenatic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:53 am Reply with quote
It's nice to see Sunshine do well, but R.I.P. Amanchu!. TAT Maybe the anime boosted manga sales enough to warrant more?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Oh my god! I'm so happy I'm crying! Crying or Very sad Very Happy

Finally a good week, and several shows I was really worried about did absolutely phenomenally!
Mob Psycho pulling in strong numbers for both DVD and Blu-ray is awesome! I guess it had a good bit of appeal across multiple audiences. I honestly expected it to bomb hard. No hot girls, few hot guys, a generally lackluster western fan reception outside of most sakuga circles, etc. This is a huge relief! pulling close to 6k for the first volume makes me so happy! Maybe we will get that second cour?!

New Game going strong is much less of a surprise, but that also makes me really happy!

I wasn't really sure what to expect from Planetarian, but those are quite good figures as well.

And then Amanchu at least getting halfway through 2k. Maybe a little less than I expected, but those numbers aren't terrible either.

All in all, this is a good week! Finally!
KH91

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Love Live domination! Re:Zero continues its increase. Nice hold-ish for Joker Game. AW is too high. Damn. I wanted DR3 to sell above 5k 1st week. It sold on par with DR1's 1st week release. Didn't expect Mob to do OP numbers, but near 5k to start off. FRY IN THE 14TH SPOT! Kingsglaive is doing its job. Good week.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:29 pm Reply with quote
AP24 wrote:
Masou Gakuen BD and DVD together sold 3.7k in 3 days. Should reach 4k next week and hopefully that's enough for another season.
I'm pretty sure it was mentioned somewhere already that it's a split-cour show.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:18 pm Reply with quote
I'm totally thrilled that Love Live Sunshine has done so wonderfully! Smile The songs from Aquors are fantastic!
Cam0

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
AP24 wrote:
Masou Gakuen BD and DVD together sold 3.7k in 3 days. Should reach 4k next week and hopefully that's enough for another season.
I'm pretty sure it was mentioned somewhere already that it's a split-cour show.

The anime ended with "To be continued". So yeah it's probably going to get another cour.
Razor/Edge

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Jayhosh wrote:
I wasn't sure how Mob would end up selling, but it seems like it did pretty well for itself. Last someone told me, 2,000 units was how much a release needed to sell to be considered a success (which I've always found sort of comical, but when you look at those ludicrous prices it all makes sense). Regardless, I just want a second season announcement.

2000 is definitely not "success" territory, it's more like "break even" territory. 5000+ first volume would be more likely to be a considered a success.
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Razor/Edge wrote:
Jayhosh wrote:

2000 is definitely not "success" territory, it's more like "break even" territory. 5000+ first volume would be more likely to be a considered a success.

The good news is that it sold over 5500, so yay! Very Happy
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:08 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
a generally lackluster western fan reception outside of most sakuga circles

It was ranked second best of the entire summer season (only behind Re:Zero, a show that had a season long head start to gain a following), I would hardly consider that lackluster reception.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3