• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Berserk Anime's Next Arc to Premiere Next Spring

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:35 pm Reply with quote
It's not just the visuals that are weak, there is just a demonstrated lack of understanding of the original source material by the directing staff. I also think the head director was a horrible pick for a universe like Berserk, I would encourage anyone to watch this video to better understand what I'm getting at.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Post removed (accidental double post).

Last edited by NeverConvex on Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:41 pm Reply with quote
I haven't read (and won't read, not much for manga) the source material, but I think the story, narrative direction, character interactions, and the modicum of character development we've seen have been compelling and easily followed since about episode 4. What specifically do you dislike about the series aside from the visuals?
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Kirkdawg wrote:
It's not just the visuals that are weak, there is just a demonstrated lack of understanding of the original source material by the directing staff. I also think the head director was a horrible pick for a universe like Berserk, I would encourage anyone to watch this video to better understand what I'm getting at.

Miura himself is supervising the series. I reckon he knows what he was getting at in the series. Even if it isn't exactly how he would do it, it is clearly not unacceptable to the man himself.
ARC-1300

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:05 pm Reply with quote
YES! Finally we will get to see you know what armor in the anime!!

on to the piss fest, i love how people just can't accept that people like this adaptation,noooo,something must be wrong with them. It had a rocky start,but certainly rode high and finished strong. It's pretty obvious by now that the berserk series is only ever gonna get animated by obscure studios,but i think for what we got,really should be commended on some respectable level.

To me it seems like at this point,people feel like they must be obligated to sh*t al over this anime. without giving any mention to what was done right in the series,and their are far more than one would think. Atmosphere comes to mind.

I'm so glad i skipped most of the discussion for this anime and avoided episode threads.and just enjoyed it for what it was. see you guys in the next anime thread for this show.
Chacranajxy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:12 pm Reply with quote
While the show has improved markedly in the last 4-5 episodes, I really, really don't think we need any more of it. Put it on hiatus for a while, try it again in a few years. Maybe with a competent studio?
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Chacranajxy wrote:
While the show has improved markedly in the last 4-5 episodes, I really, really don't think we need any more of it. Put it on hiatus for a while, try it again in a few years. Maybe with a competent studio?

No the production committee would rightfully say "Why should we even bother? Look at the last time we tried. They just crapped all over us about it. We'd probably need to get Ufotable to be able to animate it in a way that really matches the level of Miura's art and we definitely don't have that kind of money." It wouldn't be just a few years given that this is the first time in 19 years we've gotten any material past the Golden Age arc adapted. And I think they have in the last few episodes risen to a bare minimum level of competence, even if it is far from perfect. You may not want more, but many of us here do.
Hugh Mungus

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:42 pm Reply with quote
I've got a question, since I've had yet to check out this anime, but how badly censored is this compared to the source manga? Was it toned down like the first anime (which was still quite gory, but not to the extent of the original), or were they able to go all out this time?
vision33r

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 1:21 am Reply with quote
Final episode was a huge mess. I rather watch the trailer for the next season. Atleast they are keeping the seiyu for Schierke who does sound nice but a bit mature consider she should be really young.

Now, if they do another 12 episode for next season it's gonna suck. The final episode they've already cut a lot of material out just to fast forward progress. There's a lot of story and action in the next arc, if they rush it then I'm gonna be disappointed. Because so far they have shown the Berserker armor which means its's gonna get rushed so that Guts can show it off.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:47 am Reply with quote
No offense MarshalBanana, but this show was overall unwatchable. I reviewed most eps. on the SK.net forums and i that site is beyond done with the current project. For the record:
I love tv budget CG shows as Beware the Batman, Green Lantern, Tron Legacy and both (admittedly high budget) Star Wars show. I would have used Cg too! Polygon Pictures picks middling material to adapt but they delivered some of the best animated tv shows of the last years. They would have made an amazing Berserk adaptation and the Netflix connection must be noted too. What could have been...
It´s Cg that has problems to keep up with the "good looking" PSX cutscenes that i hate, it´s piss poor direction that i can´t stand, it broken sound designs i could have done better i despise, it´s the decision to skip half the original arc´s content that made me disown this crap, it´s... Even half the VA´s did a bad job due to the lack of direction! How rare is it to have bad voice acting in a Japanese dub? Unbelievable Mad . Final word: Don´t come back for the rest if you left "early", you are in a better place. I will vote for Berserk 2016 in the year´s end flop 5, unless too much pr0n is present.
@Hugh Mungus The airing eps. have no "real" nudity, the gore is reduced to blood fountains only when people are dismembered and the really crazy stuff is either not present or rushed past. The dvds should have have nipples, i guess. Even people who like Berserk for superficial reasons will be left bored.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Koda89

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:03 am Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
No offense MarshalBanana, but this show was overall unwatchable. I reviewed most eps. on the SK.net forums and i that site is beyond done with the current project. For the record:
I love tv budget CG shows as Beware the Batman, Green Lantern, Tron Legacy and both (admittedly high budget) Star Wars show. I would have used Cg too! Polygon Pictures picks middling material to adapt but they delivered some of the best animated tv shows of the last years. They would have made an amazing Berserk adaptation and the Netflix connection must be noted too. What could have been...
It´s Cg that has problems to keep up with the "good looking" PSX cutscenes that i hate, it´s piss poor direction that i can´t stand, it broken sound designs i could have done better i despise, it´s the decision to skip half the original arc´s content that made me disown this crap, it´s... Even half the VA´s did a bad job due to the lack of direction! How rare is it to have bad voice acting in a Japanese dub? Unbelievable Mad . Final word: Don´t come back for the rest if you left "early", you are in a better place. I will vote for Berserk 2016 in the year´s end flop 5, unless too much pr0n is present.

Hmm, strange, the show was pretty watchable for me. Thus it is in fact not "unwatchable". We get it, you didn't like it. That's your opinion, please don't try to throw it around like it is a fact(I know that may not be your intent, almost never is, just saying that to me it kind of looks like it), because as this very thread shows you, there are many people who are of the opposite opinion.

You might as well avoid Berserk animations from here on out, because it is clear the property is not going to have a production committee that can fund the kind of production you want again. All the adaptations have come up short in the visuals at least in some aspect, even the venerable '97 version has some lacking visuals and that's probably the best of the bunch.

Would it be awesome to see them get a studio like Madhouse, MAPPA, Bones, or Ufotable to do it? Oh hell yes it would, but that's never going to happen. It's mostly going to be unknown studios or studios with overall small resumes of mostly low profile work, because that's all they can afford. Sad
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:06 am Reply with quote
@Koda89 The PS2 game had no budget either and they still manged to make a comprehensible (!) and true to the source narrative experience. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8phqA2gkkRc
It´s a 12 years old game that never left Japan and i repeat: Low budget animation isn´t the problem here, and it never will be (but the show sure was ugly). A MGS style motion comic or an audiobook by GraphicAudio would get my blessing, so i don´t even "need" animation!
It´s the simple fact they the producers neither respect nor understand the manga that´s the main problem.
I can´t see this going away and the 3rd project since 2012 can only improve. Better hentai based on Berserk by Kuon Michiyoshi exists after all (!), but i can´t see the current production partners caring enough to produce anything resembling a presentable product that is fit to be sold. See you next decade, or whenever we reboot, and good on YA for at least getting Shaft for March Comes in like a Lion.
They financed enough failed crap by now to understand that the market won´t just eat up any random trash.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:32 am Reply with quote
It was pointed out above but I don't think you addressed it, residentgrigo: given Miura's close involvement with the show, how/why do you say the anime doesn't reflect an understanding of the source material? It doesn't seem like you can get much better than having direct oversight and input from the mangaka.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:34 am Reply with quote
Like I said earlier, as it says in this article, Miura himself is supervising the series, so I can't imagine that they are disrespecting or misunderstanding the series much at all. Unless you think you understand the series better than the guy who created it or think him so dumb as to not notice them screwing up the adaptation under his watch, they can't be doing that unacceptable a job. Even if he weren't directly involved, original creators are given a lot of leeway to just refuse to cooperate with adaptations to the point of outright blocking them if they feel the show isn't to their liking, so if it were so unacceptable he could and would totally have stopped it. At the very least he would have ceased working with them in his current capacity.

On the direction, while Itagaki has been inconsistent (the filming in the spanking scene) he has had some nice scenes as well, as stated by the episode reviewer. So he is not consistently piss poor though on occasion yeah, but he's been getting better since the beginning.

Also, to all going "they skipped stuff, therefore it's so terrible", they were never going to get enough episodes to cover everything from the manga. Given that most shows aside from a few long running shows and a shonen here or there get 12-13 or 24-25 episodes, they were never going to get enough episodes to adapt every arc and everything. I repeat this was never. going. to happen. They worked with the number of episodes they got and they ended in a good spot. While it is unfortunate that they cut stuff, they did a good enough job with what they had to work with (number of episodes not material).
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:52 am Reply with quote
There wouldn't be a season 2 or second cour if it was bad to them. They owe you nothing yet another season is coming.

Realize you are a luxury, a spoiled one at that. The CG isn't eyecandy yes but they seem to enjoy it and that is the only thing that matters. Not everything has a Pixar or Dreamworks budget.

Lets see how good your skills in Poser, Blender or MikuMiku dance can be? It's incredible they even got close with those character models.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5