• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Director of Netflix's Death Note Film Discusses Film's Violence

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
Death Note still is very adult, and most regular Shonen ALSO have lots of swearing. The nudity is a problem, though. Maybe he's just appealing to the fanservice crowd with that (since he also says here it's like filming an anime).

No, actually it doesn't. These 'swear' words you think they're saying are mostly rude versions of 'you'.

And I for one am perfectly fine with him throwing in gratuitous nudity. I mean no, I don't really want to see say Light in a romantic relationship with Misa or some other girl. If it is just Misa walking around naked or showering or something, sure, why not. It certainly isn't necessary, but if its there, I don't care.
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
When Collider asked him how the lack of a rating system on Netflix might affect the violence and gore in the film, Wingard replied by saying that "we can do whatever we want."

I don't think that his movie will ever top the other ultra-violent/gory movies listed on Netflix like "The ABCs of Death".
Renasviel

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Eh, I don't see the issue with it being pretty violent to be honest. I mean, as an adaptation it's going to be pretty different, may as well focus on shock value for entertainment and to give itself an edge as opposed to trying to adapt the source material 1:1. I honestly wish Netflix just made it a 12/13 episode series though, they could have definitely fit the whole thing in that way. Oh well.

Really, I don't expect much from the film, as long as it's fun I'll be fine with it.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:45 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01, a word that is more of a swear word is kuso. This is generally translated as "crap" or "shit". This might be the most common Japanese swear word.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:43 pm Reply with quote
I can handle the "Ultra Violence" or the "Occasional Swearing" but the "Nudity" is a different story I mean as long as they don't go full on Game of Thrones I should be okay and I am still looking forward to it despite not seeing a single one of his movies. Smile
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 1:01 am Reply with quote
kiminobokuwa wrote:
I don't understand. Death Note was never about violence...it was more of psychological. This man is setting up this movie to be FAR from the orginal material and all that made Death Note the great series that it is IN MY OPINION. I just feel worried that this will once again put anime in a bad spotlight. Death Note is a unique series and they're just making it into another thriller movie with violence and stuff. I know I should watch before judging but after receiving this much information about the movie I'm starting to lose faith in it.

My take on this is that the director is seeing Death Note from the perspective of someone who's consumed a lot of and has been a part of western storytelling. You are used to Japanese storytelling, and you know the manga ran in a magazine aimed at young boys. But entertainment for young boys in the United States is way different, and would never have anything like Death Note in it. My guess is that what stood out to him is the anyone-can-die nature of the series, which is only found in entertainment for adults here in the United States. That is, I'll bet he's seeing Death Note as in the same class as series like Game of Thrones or The Walking Dead.

By the way, Death Note is a psychological thriller. It's always been a thriller from the start.

revolutionotaku wrote:
That "Blair Witch" sequel was absolute crap. Let's hope the director won't taint the "Death Note" legacy for hardcore fans like myself, my friends & others.

If you're a hardcore fan, you're not going to be pleased, plain and simple.

SkerllyF wrote:
With the live action case, people need to know that so far Hollywood has 6 released adaptations:
-Crying Freeman, which is decent
-Two Guyver Movies, one of them with Luke Skywalker but it is bad, but the second somehow is better
-Fist of the North Star, obviously bad
-Dragon Ball Evolution
-Speed Racer, either you appreciate the efforts in CGI and Racing Scenes, or you don´t watch it because obvious reasons
-Kite
-Edge of Tomorrow, based on the light novel All you Need is Kill, the best product so far

But people are still saying that Americans must not touch something as if there are like 50 released products. I just think that we overreact over things

Just wanted to point out that my father was quite the fan of the Guyver movies and watched both of them several times.

SkerllyF wrote:
And what do people mean with "they are ruining X source material"? The popularity of Transformers and TMNT, or the writing of some good comics or TV series based on them are never ruined because Michael Bay is handling them. The same with the legacy of The League of Extraordinary Men. So the quality of a good manga is never ruined by a bad adaptation. So WE should get those expressions from our heads and think differently

You're talking to fans of the source material (and the anime) here. They're going to be more passionate and defensive than anyone else. You can bet your head that Transformers fans were crying, well, "ruined FOREVER" when Michael Bay's movies came out (and even more so whewn they became so popular those designs became the standard for the franchise until Transformers Prime). Same with TMNT fans.

You should've seen how terrified Peanuts fans were up to when The Peanuts Movie came out, especially when Blue Sky's characteristic slapstick wound up in the movie's trailers. Same thing for Marvel fans when the MCU was new (and a few have become increasingly bitter that Marvel movies are doing so well). I'm sure the fans of the Smurfs comics and/or cartoons are still angry at the live-action adaptations.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:45 am Reply with quote
meruru wrote:
You can't entirely go by what magazines it was serialized in. Attack on Titan is very violent, but by your reasoning it's also for teens as it ran in a shounen magazine. I'm not too happy though with making Death Note hyper violent. It doesn't need to be, and of course, a lot of deaths are heart attacks in the manga, for plot reasons that completely make sense. If they sacrifice writing for spectacle, I doubt it's going to be very good.

But Death Note and Attack on Titan is aimed at teens. Yes they are violent and sometimes very violent as many others shonen manga but not as to be considered adult rated. I still remember some parents in my country said that Dragon Ball was too violent for a cartoon when first appear. Now with more anime in TV is not case anymore because they are used to it.
Like always is a difference of what people think is appropriate for certain ages in different cultures.

leafy sea dragon wrote:

My take on this is that the director is seeing Death Note from the perspective of someone who's consumed a lot of and has been a part of western storytelling. You are used to Japanese storytelling, and you know the manga ran in a magazine aimed at young boys. But entertainment for young boys in the United States is way different, and would never have anything like Death Note in it. My guess is that what stood out to him is the anyone-can-die nature of the series, which is only found in entertainment for adults here in the United States. That is, I'll bet he's seeing Death Note as in the same class as series like Game of Thrones or The Walking Dead.

Exactly what im thinking. And what am afraid of is that Adam Wingard cultural perspective is that Death Note is a adult manga/anime and his movie become a ultra-violent Rated-R horror/gore movie.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
How does a live action adaptation of a manga put anime in a bad spotlight?

Trying to reach a mainstream audience as we talked about in another post, what would the mainstream think?

They will know that is based on a anime and they will think that all anime is ultra-violent, gore and full of nudity. It would only be worse if Adam Wingard put a tentacle monster assaulting and killing a teenager girl in one of the death scenes.

If this movie was more like what Death Note is (a psychological thriller) and not some adult horror movie, the mainstream audience maybe will look how intelligent the story is and how good anime can be.
SkerllyF

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:42 am Reply with quote
Quote:
You should've seen how terrified Peanuts fans were up to when The Peanuts Movie came out, especially when Blue Sky's characteristic slapstick wound up in the movie's trailers. Same thing for Marvel fans when the MCU was new (and a few have become increasingly bitter that Marvel movies are doing so well). I'm sure the fans of the Smurfs comics and/or cartoons are still angry at the live-action adaptations.

I said that people think that Source Materials are ruined just because of a bad adaptation. TMNT is still going strong with cartoons and comics despite the movies. Same with Batman Comics. People exaggerate to the extreme with things like that when it´s obvious that is not the case[/quote]
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:47 am Reply with quote
Jonny Mendes wrote:
But Death Note and Attack on Titan is aimed at teens. Yes they are violent and sometimes very violent as many others shonen manga but not as to be considered adult rated. I still remember some parents in my country said that Dragon Ball was too violent for a cartoon when first appear. Now with more anime in TV is not case anymore because they are used to it.
Like always is a difference of what people think is appropriate for certain ages in different cultures.

That is an interesting response, with people getting used to anime on TV and getting used to violence in cartoons. (I take it you mean the more realistic kind of violence, not the comical squash-and-stretch kind of violence in stuff like Tom & Jerry.)

Anime has been on TV in the United States for a long while too, albeit pretty heavily censored for violence if shown in the daytime, with the exception of Pokémon, which is written with American standards in mind. The thing is that the kids' parents never really watched anime with their kids when it was on in the daytime, even more so nowadays that the're watching it through tablets and stuff.

There's also how in the 80's, there really WAS a lot of hyperviolent anime, which showed on places like the Sci-Fi Channel (I remember that pretty well because my father watched a lot of it) and created the reputation of all anime being violent and gory, a reputation it hasn't shaken off to this day.

Jonny Mendes wrote:
Trying to reach a mainstream audience as we talked about in another post, what would the mainstream think?

They will know that is based on a anime and they will think that all anime is ultra-violent, gore and full of nudity. It would only be worse if Adam Wingard put a tentacle monster assaulting and killing a teenager girl in one of the death scenes.

If this movie was more like what Death Note is (a psychological thriller) and not some adult horror movie, the mainstream audience maybe will look how intelligent the story is and how good anime can be.

Anime does not have a positive reputation in the mainstream in the United States. I am certain if they ever bring up "Based on the anime!" or "Based on the manga!," it will actually hurt the movie's box office. I think the best scenario is to do what they did with Edge of Tomorrow and never bring up its source material in the advertisement.

Maybe they could say "Based on the comics," as that is a plus right now.

SkerllyF wrote:
I said that people think that Source Materials are ruined just because of a bad adaptation. TMNT is still going strong with cartoons and comics despite the movies. Same with Batman Comics. People exaggerate to the extreme with things like that when it´s obvious that is not the case

The franchises ARE still going on. But my point is that there are some hardcore fans who will declare the franchise ruined because of a faulty adaptation. "Ruined FOREVER" is a memetic cry that originates from the Transformers fandom, for instance. These fans will pretend anything that happened after the faulty adaptation did not exist, or stop being fans altogether. Are you familiar with the "Gen-1ers"?
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:46 pm Reply with quote
In what universe does Death Note have "nudity, swearing and a 'ton of violence?'"

I've been interested in the movie thus far, but this really turns me away. I don't want more show than plot.

Death Note is characteristically a very intelligent show. Makes you think about what's going on and what the characters are planning.

It's not some lame horror flick with cheap scares are gore. I don't want "Nasty and crazy." I want smart.

Neutral
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:57 pm Reply with quote
You know what's intelligent, but has nudity, swearing, and a ton of violence?

Narcos, Orange is the New Black, and Jessica Jones. It's on Netflix, which means they are going to liberally use their freedom to do whatever they want to their advantage. The good thing is most of the time the products come out pretty good.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Well good to know things are moving along on this project. Though I don't really remember nudity in the manga or the anime. But if I'm wrong I'll need a refresher.
Agent355

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
Well good to know things are moving along on this project. Though I don't really remember nudity in the manga or the anime. But if I'm wrong I'll need a refresher.

That's because there wasn't any nudity in the source material. Misa wore lingerie a few times. That's about as much fanservice as the whole story had. (Unless you count Light & L handcuffed together)...

I personally think Netflix shows could do with less "mature content," especially Orange is the New Black. I don't know how many interviews I've heard where Piper Kerman had to explain that there was basically no sex in her original memoir, or a prisoner's advocate said they were glad the show is bringing attention to incarceration issues in America but the sexual aspects are really inaccurate. It's only gotten more graphic and distracting as the show's gone on.
Back to topic, an inaccurate or bad adaptation may not take away from the original, but it can certainly change the franchise's overall reputation.
Rychy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Well if he thinks those things are important to Death Note, I guess I get to stop caring about this project. Probably didn't even skim the manga.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Back to topic, an inaccurate or bad adaptation may not take away from the original, but it can certainly change the franchise's overall reputation.

Thats what people generally mean when they say a franchise is ruined. The source material might not be changed (unless it comics which sometimes try to retroactively change themselves to be like the movies and piss off even more fans) but the adaption is usually the first thing people think of when they hear the franchise's name after a Hollywood adaption, so the brand is sullied with a bad reputation.

-Stuart Smith
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5