• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Thunderbolt Fantasy

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Miè Tiān Hái (villain)

Just call him Gilgamesh already, there's no need to dance around the matter.
Quote:
When Lǐn Xuě Yā gets to his room, he notices that there's a hunk of wood in Shāng Bù Huàn's sheath instead of the sword. That's because Shāng Bù Huàn is standing behind him, sword bared, ready to up and murder him.

I thought that this was a classic "open up sword, see guy poised to kill you in reflection of blade" moment.

And RIP Assassin, he should've watched UBW. Everyone knows that the hype warrior can't beat Gilgamesh with less weapons!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9

See, I knew it was a mistake for her to just hand over the hilt to Vape Thief back at the beginning!

FilthyCasual wrote:
I thought that this was a classic "open up sword, see guy poised to kill you in reflection of blade" moment.

That's what I thought at first, but looking again, the blade is just carved wood, polished darker than the hilt.

Ah, Assassin! It was just too much to bear, living in a world where someone had longer lashes than you. I'll miss that sultry pout. Btw, he wasn't killed by a flying sword, it was up close and personal. Very personal... o.o

Poor Lancer. His idealistic world is crumbling around him. I'm betting he'll be the one to deal the death blow to Archer.

I love these reviews. Especially nice analysis of the roles of Assassin and Villain. How in the world is the current rating for this episode only a 2.8?? This was one of the best they've done. Dat face at the end! :drool:
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:24 pm Reply with quote
So we have Saber, Archer, Lancer, Caster, Assassin and Gilgamesh.
We could put out vaping thief up as Rider, since he's riding on other charatcers to get him places.
If we stretch the concept as much as possible, we can write up the priestess's desire for vengeance as Berseker.

Abrakadabra: Fate ZERO: The puppet edition.
Doodleboy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Just want to say that I enjoy these write-ups far too much.
DrunkAyanami
Get off my lawn

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:40 am Reply with quote
I really want to believe that Shòu Yún Xiāo* (Archer) is just pretending to be a giant dick, hoping that Juǎn Cán Yún (Lancer) will choose to do the right thing (help Saber and Priestess) despite the peer pressure. He DID say he was looking to see if Lancer would make a good little brother after all... so maybe this is a test? It may turn out that Lancer is the Wild Card in this scenario, and ultimately the guy that wrecks Vape Thief's (yes, I'm using that too) plan, due to being completely underestimated by the entire cast as well as everyone who's seen/read the Fate series.

*(yes I totally copy-pasted the names from Gabriella's review)
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:32 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

I love these reviews. Especially nice analysis of the roles of Assassin and Villain. How in the world is the current rating for this episode only a 2.8?? This was one of the best they've done. Dat face at the end! :drool:

For anyone curious as to why the episode ratings on Thunderbolt Fantasy are so low (but its placement in the weekly rankings is not), we have another spammer trying to mass downvote the show. So while we can't do much about the on-page ratings being low, they don't factor into the calculated score for the weekly rankings chart.
Dop.L

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:46 am Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
For anyone curious as to why the episode ratings on Thunderbolt Fantasy are so low (but its placement in the weekly rankings is not), we have another spammer trying to mass downvote the show. So while we can't do much about the on-page ratings being low, they don't factor into the calculated score for the weekly rankings chart.

Oh no, not again. Those people must lead such full rich lives... Rolling Eyes

Still, another great episode, when the show started i had worried the novelty factor would wear off after a few episodes, but the dialogue, characterisation, and humour outweighed that.
casualfan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:25 am Reply with quote
I think when the thief unsheathed the hero's sword, he found that it was not a proper blade, basically alluding the notion that the hero has not fought with a proper weapon so far. Hence why he needed to use much more strength than necessary. Basically with a decent blade, he would prove far more dangerous. And the bloodstained blade that the hero was holding came from one of the cronies or it was one of the assassin's blade. Well, that was my impression from the whole scene.
ShalaKairos

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:37 am Reply with quote
Quote:
because good god that guy looks awesome and Shā Wú Shēng wants a piece of him. Acknowledging his fellow Fashionista Sword Man, Miè Tiān Hái pulls out his special flying sword (which is apparently not cheating).

This show is made even more epic with your reviews Gabriella. Very Happy
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:17 pm Reply with quote
I feel like it's a trend for Thunderbolt Fantasy by this point for the episodes to start out slow, and get much better as they go on. Sometimes, like this week, that shift happens sooner rather than later, but it's something I noticed. I'm definitely digging the greater thematic strength as of these more recent episodes, while maintaining the hamminess and flair that makes this show so entertaining. The music was also on point this episode. I'm really looking forward to next week.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:44 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
So we have Saber, Archer, Lancer, Caster, Assassin and Gilgamesh.
We could put out vaping thief up as Rider, since he's riding on other charatcers to get him places.
If we stretch the concept as much as possible, we can write up the priestess's desire for vengeance as Berseker.

Abrakadabra: Fate ZERO: The puppet edition.

More simply, he had a boat.

But he's still Grand Caster Merlin to me. Dan Fei can be the hapless Master who just wants to do the right thing... even if she's not voiced by Sugiyama.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:32 pm Reply with quote
but grand caster is solomon, not merlin!

Gina Szanboti wrote:

Ah, Assassin! It was just too much to bear, living in a world where someone had longer lashes than you. I'll miss that sultry pout. Btw, he wasn't killed by a flying sword, it was up close and personal. Very personal... o.o

yeah, I was expecting a "penetrated from behind" comment in the review.

casualfan wrote:
I think when the thief unsheathed the hero's sword, he found that it was not a proper blade, basically alluding the notion that the hero has not fought with a proper weapon so far. Hence why he needed to use much more strength than necessary. Basically with a decent blade, he would prove far more dangerous. And the bloodstained blade that the hero was holding came from one of the cronies or it was one of the assassin's blade. Well, that was my impression from the whole scene.

same here; that goes well with the comment about him hitting with too much strength, so i guess saber was actually berserker and lady saber is still saber (and caster is actually ruler, while thief is caster again).
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The naïve honor-bound lance-wielder may make it out alive!

Impossible!

And Merlin's raison d'etre being to steal the pride of bad guys is a fascinating take on master thief. Now I'm curious as to if he'll be alive at the end of all of this (I think he will).

As for Saber, I'm still wondering what that light explosion was that he used to blast apart his cage. Is he going to start shooting light beams like Dan Fei does with her sword techniques?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:11 pm Reply with quote
So did Caster resurrect Assassin? OO (yay!)

After being tricked so many times, he was awfully not wary of putting the Bag o' Faces on his head. "All it does is let someone change their face into mine." And hair and headdress and voice...

It also occurs to me that he knew Hero would be along shortly to get his sword back, and maybe a little revenge. He made the deal for the gold before Hero showed up, so he must've had his two places at once plan already worked out. I'm also suspecting that the real guard is what he gave to Gravelord Maybelline right off, disguised as a forgery that he could easily spot.

It might just be a translation artifact, but I get the feeling that Vape Thief's use of "dreadful" when describing his sword wasn't just his way of saying it was crappy. There's more to that stick than meets the eye, methinks, just like its master.

I also got hit with a strong suspicion that sword priestess is putting one over on everyone. Something about her waterworks while flattering Lancer seemed really fake to me. It might just turn out that Vape Thief's real target is her.

I wonder what happened to Archer? Also, I've forgotten - where is the blade?

Last edited by Gina Szanboti on Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
chaccide

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:15 pm Reply with quote
So, everyone's being led around by the Chinese equivalent of Coyote?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 11