• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Rock Band DOES Goes on Indefinite Hiatus

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Oh, so the band's name is DOES. Okay. I was about to say, that's some really awful grammar right there.
Ulinox

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:59 pm Reply with quote
They have made some really great songs for Gintama. Donten and Shura are among the shows best OP/EDs. Hope they make a comeback sooner or later.
Alabaster Spectrum

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Nope no pattern here whatsoever and not like many of these people aren't affiliated with Aniplex/Sony Music shows like Eir Aoi and this band or about do go into doing roles for one like Risa Taneda and Fujiwara were. Daily now, think about it people and don't just get angry.

"Drummer Keisaku Morita remarked that he's looking forward to being able to produce music at his own pace during the hiatus."

This quote to me is the most telling of all. It's like he's not even trying to hide the reason for it, they're tired of getting pushed around and used as pawns by producers like Sony Music it seems and just want to focus on doing what they want to do again. Why they can opt out of their contract like this and Ke$ha can't with rape allegations swirling around her producer is beyond me.

Last edited by Alabaster Spectrum on Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
KH91

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Too many hiatus. I wish each member luck.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Alabaster Spectrum wrote:
Nope no pattern here whatsoever and not like many of these people aren't affiliated with Aniplex/Sony Music shows like Eir Aoi and this band or about do go into doing roles for one like Risa Taneda and Fujiwara were. Daily now, think about it people and don't just get angry.

Why they can opt out of their contract like this and Ke$ha can't with rape allegations swirling around her producer is beyond me.

I doubt it. Sony just owns so much stuff that there's a high chance of things like this happening with their people. As for the Kesha thing.... there's a MASSIVE difference between allegations and it actually happening. That's for the court to decide...and IIRC, it was thrown out wasn't it? As far as I've read, there was no reason for them to void the contract she signed.
harminia

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Ahhh... They're my favourite band. This is sad but at least it doesn't mean they're splitting up. I know they're all great friends, so I think Alabaster Spectrum might be on the right track in terms of just feeling a bit of pressure from the record label.
I know Wataru has been dabbling in DJ work lately so I wouldn't be surprised if he's hoping to focus on that a bit.

I got to see and meet them earlier this year so I'm glad I got to do that before the hiatus!
Well, I'll be keenly looking out for their solo endeavors!
yanv

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:42 pm Reply with quote
So I'm guessing now they go by DID?

I'll show my way out.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Ulinox wrote:
They have made some really great songs for Gintama. Donten and Shura are among the shows best OP/EDs. Hope they make a comeback sooner or later.

I second that and add Bokutachi no Kisetsu and Bakuchi Dancer. I'm not as familiar with their Naruto Shippuden tunes, but they're a solid rock band overall.

I wish 'em all luck in their solo gigs and hope they get back together for a concert or a new single before too long.
BladeBlur

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:34 am Reply with quote
I am perhaps the biggest fan of their work since I listened to them besides their anime work, and it's a major shame since they are easily in my top 10 Japanese artists of all time. I was entranced from Shura, but it was Donten that truly won my heart.

Besides their Gintama fame, they also did a few other themes. From Uchuu Kyoudai\Space Brothers they did "Yumemiru Sekai", which is slower in tempo, but still moving and emotional. "Guren" from Naruto Shippuuden was also another track I absolutely adore, and they wrote specifically for the show to give it a sense of impending doom and finally due to the current arc at the time.

However, my favorite song by them, and probably in all of 2016, is KNOW KNOW KNOW from the last season of Gintama. After the severely underwhelming opening before in the show, KNOW KNOW KNOW brings a serious, grim, and yet powerful and sweeping guitar riffing piece that is catchy and memorable. It was the bands most successful in 6 years and I am happy since they deserve a lot more credit for their work.

I hope it won't be like L'arc~en~ciel and they actually come back periodically and work together. I really wanted them to come to the US and perform but I do wish them all their best in their individual endeavors. Arigatou, DOZU-san!
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:51 pm Reply with quote
yanv wrote:
So I'm guessing now they go by DID?

I'll show my way out.

Think it's "Doesn't which is more apropos given they're breaking up.
Midaro

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Wow I will miss them. They truly rock!!! I love this band. I hope them success in whatever they do in the future and a healthy return and tour around the world, if possible. Sad that they can't take part in Gintama's live action ost. I hope they get together for the series final season. Onegai!!!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1