• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond Is Unbreakable

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:05 am Reply with quote
Animechic420 wrote:
It was cool seeing all of Morioh's Stand users in one episode.

Minus Angelo,Tamami,& Akira and the others who haven't been revealed yet Razz

Valhern wrote:
Stands are non-physical, they can go through doors and walls. It's not obvious but we should infer that Kira saw Shigechi approaching to that door (or saw Josuke and Okuyasu before him, he already knew what they look like) and put the bomb there.

Or Araki simply decided that throwing in a Diabolous Ex Machina behind a Hope Spot was a good idea even if it essentially created a plot hole and the anime writers had to commit to it.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:50 am Reply with quote
The tailor scene: What exactly was Yoshikage Kira doing hiding in that closet? Was he expecting some of our heroes to eventually find leads to him there, so he quietly snuck into the closet without anyone noticing?

Also, couldn't Jotaro have used his time-stopping powers when he saw Kira's arm grab the jacket and find out, definitively, who he is and perhaps give him a Star Platinum style pummeling?

Still, it's pretty neat to finally see the arrows that have permeated the openings and end credits.
Guus van Voorst

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:52 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Animechic420 wrote:
It was cool seeing all of Morioh's Stand users in one episode.

Or Araki simply decided that throwing in a Diabolous Ex Machina behind a Hope Spot was a good idea even if it essentially created a plot hole and the anime writers had to commit to it.

No... its within Kira's character...

Quote:

Nothing about him seems dramatically smarter or stronger than the Dio's more competent henchmen in Stardust Crusaders, for instance. He's got a cool, simple design and a few interesting serial killer hooks, but so far he's not scratching any itches for me.

Actually it already makes him a better villain unlike Dio imo, considering he got away with murder for so many years without people noticing, and it was only when they found a ghost of one of his previous victims that they even knew about his presence within the town... still, not all of Kira's brilliance has been shown yet... Razz
Valhern

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:10 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
The tailor scene: What exactly was Yoshikage Kira doing hiding in that closet? Was he expecting some of our heroes to eventually find leads to him there, so he quietly snuck into the closet without anyone noticing?

Also, couldn't Jotaro have used his time-stopping powers when he saw Kira's arm grab the jacket and find out, definitively, who he is and perhaps give him a Star Platinum style pummeling?

Still, it's pretty neat to finally see the arrows that have permeated the openings and end credits.

We could chalk it up to him being overly cautious since he knew a lot of people was looking for him, this is only a day or two after Shigechi. It's mostly for the dramatic point, though. Araki usually does this thing of making it a horror movie situation even though it doesn't sound very likely.

Jotaro could have stopped time, but that would've been reckless of him. When they saw the "tank" they thought that this was the killer's Stand, and if that was a bomb, there was no telling what could happen if Jotaro stepped in, perhaps the bomb could explode in his feet (assuming he doesn't have more than two to three movements in one second), which would also harm Koichi. It was wiser to wait and see what can it do and protect Koichi, which is exactly when the episode ends on.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Heh, all right then. It also sounds like he had a few chances to explode Josuke and Okuyasu, but I guess it would've made a scene, and that would've been the last thing he wanted.

Come to think of it, big, loud explosions are not exactly at the top of the list of powers to someone who wants to live quietly. Even if these explosions can turn people into dust that blows away in the wind (and nothing else, as what happened with Shigeki--even the floor was left intact).

How does Killer Queen's detonation power work anyway? The object becomes the bomb but remains unharmed through the explosion (as was seen with the coin and the doorknob), and the explosion is small and selective but intense enough to disintegrate a person? Does the bomb only work once, and if Kira wants something to explode again, does he have to re-activate it?

Also, is it normal for Japanese teenagers to just ignore someone horribly injured like that? Shigeki was crawling down the hallway at the school, and while he met a trio of girls who initially discuss telling a teacher, the one on the left says to just ignore them. I mean, I know teenagers can be mean, cruel, and psychopathic, but this was messed up. (Kira was also lucky to have Shigeki touch the doorknob when no one was looking. There was a very good chance someone else could've been passing down the hallway in that direction, or Josuke and Okuyasu could've been looking towards the window on the door.)
Valhern

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:08 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
How does Killer Queen's detonation power work anyway? The object becomes the bomb but remains unharmed through the explosion (as was seen with the coin and the doorknob), and the explosion is small and selective but intense enough to disintegrate a person? Does the bomb only work once, and if Kira wants something to explode again, does he have to re-activate it?

Also, is it normal for Japanese teenagers to just ignore someone horribly injured like that? Shigeki was crawling down the hallway at the school, and while he met a trio of girls who initially discuss telling a teacher, the one on the left says to just ignore them. I mean, I know teenagers can be mean, cruel, and psychopathic, but this was messed up. (Kira was also lucky to have Shigeki touch the doorknob when no one was looking. There was a very good chance someone else could've been passing down the hallway in that direction, or Josuke and Okuyasu could've been looking towards the window on the door.)

There's also this thing that Araki's powers are a little vague and left up to interpretation.

In the case of Killer Queen, we do know that the bomb affects what touches the object (we only see people being affected by this bomb so perhaps it's targets are live beings only at best) Killer Queen put its bomb on. Also, as long as the object remains intact, Killer Queen can detonate it again without touching it again. The explosion can affect it (such as the coin), but not necessarily.

Apparently, the explosions cannot be heard or smell, as Josuke did not hear an explosion, but Shigechi screaming his name. They are visible though I am not really sure if non Stand wielders can see them.

But like always, the more you think about how it's supposed to make sense, the less sense it usually makes, it's the JoJo way.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:20 pm Reply with quote
I find JoJo's Bizarre Adventure notable in that even the villains are shown to have strict limitations on their powers. Dio, for instance, can only stop time for several seconds (from his perspective). But the ability to cause things to explode on touch feels like it, too, needs to have limitations, or at least a better explanation of its rules. I mean, I know he's a villain and thus the narrative would prefer he have as few weaknesses to exploit as possible to give our heroes the biggest possible challenge. But this feels unusually vague. Maybe it's because Kira has only been introduced, and this is the first story where we see Killer Queen.

I think what's also confusing me is why, say, the coin does not continue to explode each time Kira does the detonation button hand gesture. Does Kira have to be consciously thinking of the object for it to explode? Or does it only work for whatever is the most recent object? I am certain I'm overthinking it, but really, this is a series where our heroes are always overthinking everything and it works out wonderfully for them, which invites someone like me to think about it similarly.

Then again, this is a man who hides out in his tailor's closet for who knows how long solely so he can kill the tailor and threaten Jotaro and Koichi.
Valhern

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:01 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
I find JoJo's Bizarre Adventure notable in that even the villains are shown to have strict limitations on their powers. Dio, for instance, can only stop time for several seconds (from his perspective). But the ability to cause things to explode on touch feels like it, too, needs to have limitations, or at least a better explanation of its rules. I mean, I know he's a villain and thus the narrative would prefer he have as few weaknesses to exploit as possible to give our heroes the biggest possible challenge. But this feels unusually vague. Maybe it's because Kira has only been introduced, and this is the first story where we see Killer Queen.

I think what's also confusing me is why, say, the coin does not continue to explode each time Kira does the detonation button hand gesture. Does Kira have to be consciously thinking of the object for it to explode? Or does it only work for whatever is the most recent object? I am certain I'm overthinking it, but really, this is a series where our heroes are always overthinking everything and it works out wonderfully for them, which invites someone like me to think about it similarly.

Then again, this is a man who hides out in his tailor's closet for who knows how long solely so he can kill the tailor and threaten Jotaro and Koichi.

Well, DIO might actually be the worst example for "restricted powers", in Phantom Blood his power is anything that looks cool enough, and we're not exactly sure why he doesn't use them again in Stardust Crusaders, such as the laser eyes and the freezing powers (alas, it is thought that not being a complete vampire explains this, but it's purely fan theory). Also, Kars's power is, literally, all of them.

Kira doesn't have to make the hand gesture, Killer Queen has too and yes, it has to be consciously, although it's not clearly explained, it's kind of an inside rule that your powers only activate when you want to and not at random because that would just not be safe (there are some Stands in JoJo that have control over the user's consciousness or work independently of them, but this would not be the case). I don't recall any rule that says that there is a time limit for how much this bomb can hold up, but it surely can be deactivated at will, also KQ can only place a bomb in one object at a time.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:06 pm Reply with quote
One of Killer Queen's major limitations is that (arguably a lite spoiler but I'll mark it just in case) spoiler[ he can only maintain one bomb at a time.

If he detonates an object, he needs to touch that object again to "recharge it".

As far as I know, he can maintain a charge on an object indefinitely, but if he turns a different object into a bomb, the current object loses it's charge and becomes normal.]
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Guus van Voorst wrote:

No... its within Kira's character...

Yeah I'm going to have go and say no.....at least with regards to what happened with Shigechi.

leafy sea dragon wrote:
I find JoJo's Bizarre Adventure notable in that even the villains are shown to have strict limitations on their powers. Dio, for instance, can only stop time for several seconds (from his perspective).

A restriction he was starting to overcome prior to being killed.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Valhern wrote:
Well, DIO might actually be the worst example for "restricted powers", in Phantom Blood his power is anything that looks cool enough, and we're not exactly sure why he doesn't use them again in Stardust Crusaders, such as the laser eyes and the freezing powers (alas, it is thought that not being a complete vampire explains this, but it's purely fan theory). Also, Kars's power is, literally, all of them.

Kira doesn't have to make the hand gesture, Killer Queen has too and yes, it has to be consciously, although it's not clearly explained, it's kind of an inside rule that your powers only activate when you want to and not at random because that would just not be safe (there are some Stands in JoJo that have control over the user's consciousness or work independently of them, but this would not be the case). I don't recall any rule that says that there is a time limit for how much this bomb can hold up, but it surely can be deactivated at will, also KQ can only place a bomb in one object at a time.

All right then. So when the doorknob was made to explode, that means the coin can no longer explode.

I know these rules are supposed to be vague at this point, and I'd guess that a major thing is that the heroes need to figure out how Kira's powers work. I mean, that's what they did with Dio in Part 3. But yeah, the vampire powers are definitely among the most ill-defined power sets in JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, and it isn't even consistent among vampires. I always chalked that up to it being near the beginning of the series though, before Araki found his ground in powers revolving around rules to be deduced.

Shenl742 wrote:
One of Killer Queen's major limitations is that (arguably a lite spoiler but I'll mark it just in case) spoiler[ he can only maintain one bomb at a time.

If he detonates an object, he needs to touch that object again to "recharge it".

As far as I know, he can maintain a charge on an object indefinitely, but if he turns a different object into a bomb, the current object loses it's charge and becomes normal.]

All right. It does explain the question of why he doesn't just blow up everything around his victim. Then again, Kira just wants to live quietly.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
leafy sea dragon wrote:
I find JoJo's Bizarre Adventure notable in that even the villains are shown to have strict limitations on their powers. Dio, for instance, can only stop time for several seconds (from his perspective).

A restriction he was starting to overcome prior to being killed.

Idon't think he was capable of fully overcoming it though. The amount of time he could freeze went up a lot over the course of his fight against Jotaro, but when it ended, it was what, fifteen seconds at most? Jotaro was also gaining on him.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:52 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

Idon't think he was capable of fully overcoming it though. The amount of time he could freeze went up a lot over the course of his fight against Jotaro, but when it ended, it was what, fifteen seconds at most? Jotaro was also gaining on him.

Dio would've been able to keep increasing the amount of time he could stop to point Jotaro would've literally been powerless to stop him. As Dio wasn't a human he wasn't as susceptible to the same drawbacks of stopping time that Jotaro was subject to.
chex mix

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:06 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

This, so much. It was so gross and jarring I was taken right out of the episode. I can't understand what the point of having people in the hallway at all was since at best it created ludicrous plot holes, and at worst, well, we got that crap.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:54 pm Reply with quote
meh, japanese are like that, the guy from japanistic has seen japenese people pass out and fall on a public street and nobody helps out.
MalcolmBelmont

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Next Episode is going to be god tier and has one of my favorite moments in Part 4.

Personally i think the strength of Part 4 is that has great charcter balance. Every charcter gets multiple chances to shine and while Josuke is the MC he has a great supporting cast backing him up. Part 5/6 especially has issues when it comes to charcter balancing so going back to Part 4 i love how fleshed out everyone is.

If i did have one issue is that the stakes aren't as big as previous parts but in my opinon it makes it more personal.

spoiler[Do i think they should have killed Koichi to raise the stakes. Yes.http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/jjba/images/9/92/Killer_Queen_punching.png/revision/latest?cb=20140820061058

But next episode still raises the stakes ]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 18 of 28