• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Re:Zero -Starting Life in Another World-

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Thanks, Iron Maw. That definitely clears up the finer points of the negotiations, as well as explaining each party's motivations a little more thoroughly.
Gin-No-Ji

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:01 am Reply with quote
Rinkwolf wrote:
Subaru is experiencing pain because of Emilia both psychological (her basically cutting ties with him and being unable to understand him and his intentions) and physical (unwittingly of course, but Subaru is killed time and again because of Emilia by puck and tormented by the cultist, which are after her)

Subaru was already planned to recuperate in the capital because of the mabeast ordeal and one can argue that his recuperating has as much to do with Roswald as it does Emilia, as he stated that he intends to replay him for his actions in full.

As Rem herself explained in Episode 18 that Subaru himself showed her he is a good guy with no real influence from Emilia aside from once telling her to play nice with him, hardly a view changing event.

I'm watching the same show as you but observing different thing which leads to different perspectives/observations.

emilia tries so hard to keep him safe, forming a promise with him asking him to be safe with rem at the manor, even forming a contract with another king candidate who she knows most likely look down on her.

if anything, subaru's rash actions caused emilia and himself pain. he doesn't know when to stop, and emilia called it. there was bound to be mayhem at the capital and subaru went in like a wrecking ball.

and if you read the LN, none of this would have happened if spoiler[ subaru is not around. ]so it's very unfair to say emilia is the cause of his pain when she tries so hard to keep this mysterious stranger safe, when she only brought him back to the manor to investigate about his motives and ended up caring for him and giving him a chance of a new life in lugunica.

the witch cultists, his mysterious witch scent, and his pigheadedness are the troublemakers.
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Anime can promote a lot of things

This series is luring me into buying a Subaru this holiday season.

It's probably due to the # of times hearing the same "Subaru" name over and over in this series
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:34 am Reply with quote
Gin-No-Ji wrote:
Rinkwolf wrote:
Subaru is experiencing pain because of Emilia both psychological (her basically cutting ties with him and being unable to understand him and his intentions) and physical (unwittingly of course, but Subaru is killed time and again because of Emilia by puck and tormented by the cultist, which are after her)

Subaru was already planned to recuperate in the capital because of the mabeast ordeal and one can argue that his recuperating has as much to do with Roswald as it does Emilia, as he stated that he intends to replay him for his actions in full.

As Rem herself explained in Episode 18 that Subaru himself showed her he is a good guy with no real influence from Emilia aside from once telling her to play nice with him, hardly a view changing event.

I'm watching the same show as you but observing different thing which leads to different perspectives/observations.

emilia tries so hard to keep him safe, forming a promise with him asking him to be safe with rem at the manor, even forming a contract with another king candidate who she knows most likely look down on her.

if anything, subaru's rash actions caused emilia and himself pain. he doesn't know when to stop, and emilia called it. there was bound to be mayhem at the capital and subaru went in like a wrecking ball.

and if you read the LN, none of this would have happened if spoiler[ subaru is not around. ]so it's very unfair to say emilia is the cause of his pain when she tries so hard to keep this mysterious stranger safe, when she only brought him back to the manor to investigate about his motives and ended up caring for him and giving him a chance of a new life in lugunica.

the witch cultists, his mysterious witch scent, and his pigheadedness are the troublemakers.

You have two very narrow minded views and/or misconceptions.

1.) Subaru legitimately SAVED HER LIFE, as in he took the killing blow onto himself, which would of killed her as there wouldn't have been anyone there to administer healing magic. That is huge and it goes with reason to think the least Emilia can do is give him shelter and she understands what debt she has to Subaru. You are gravely undervaluing what Subaru did for her.

2.) Nowhere did I state nor implied that Emilia is intentionally causing Subaru pain, just that she happens to be in a position that is the source of it now. I didn't say anything about her character, just the relationship she currently has with him is swapped to that of Rem from the previous arc.

AnimeAddict2014 wrote:
Anime can promote a lot of things

This series is luring me into buying a Subaru this holiday season.

It's probably due to the # of times hearing the same "Subaru" name over and over in this series

The thing is that I though that Subaru being the MC name was some cheap advertising tactic like in Mayo Chiki, but now I figured out that the name has merit as it is actually reference to a constellation and other significant characters hold names of constellations like Al (Aldebaran) and Betelgeuse.
Gin-No-Ji

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Rinkwolf wrote:

1.) Subaru legitimately SAVED HER LIFE, as in he took the killing blow onto himself, which would of killed her as there wouldn't have been anyone there to administer healing magic. That is huge and it goes with reason to think the least Emilia can do is give him shelter and she understands what debt she has to Subaru. You are gravely undervaluing what Subaru did for her.

2.) Nowhere did I state nor implied that Emilia is intentionally causing Subaru pain, just that she happens to be in a position that is the source of it now. I didn't say anything about her character, just the relationship she currently has with him is swapped to that of Rem from the previous arc.

if anything, you're the one who's undervaluing emilia for ur previous post saying that the contract for healing happened because of roswaal or that emilia had no real influence in showing that subaru is a good person.

if not for emilia's unwavering support and encouragement in all iterations, subaru's not going to be sane enough to think much less escape from rem's trial. in ep 18 she thinks of his face on emilia's lap, so rem hold that scene quite dear to heart.

bringing him back to the manor only happened because of emilia's goodwill and sense of duty, it wasn't a given. as shown in the first iteration of the mansion arc, even he recognize that he's very suspicious to come at this time, to be near emilia. he was to be judged if he's a spy and roswaal/ram/rem/beatrice all judged him, and only emilia supported him.

you say that Subaru is experiencing pain because of Emilia both psychological (her basically cutting ties with him and being unable to understand him and his intentions but you didn't take into account that subaru caused the mess himself. she on the other hand still uphold the contract just for his sake, so it's unfair to state that emilia is the cause of his pain.
michizure

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:24 pm Reply with quote
michizure wrote:
(1) Who hired Elsa, the Bowel Cutter? ... Whoever made the hire wanted to disqualify Emilia, even though this would (presumably) delay the selection until two more candidates were found. Why would you hire someone with a reputation like "Bowel Cutter" and yet not instruct her to simply kill her target? On the other hand, if all you wanted was to steal the amulet, why not go to (someone like) Felt directly?

Circumstantial evidence now points to Priscilla or her faction, as the only one of the three (discounting Felt, who was Elsa's victim and not in the running at the time) who hasn't teamed up with Emilia's faction at this point.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:04 pm Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
Thanks, Iron Maw. That definitely clears up the finer points of the negotiations, as well as explaining each party's motivations a little more thoroughly.

I also appreciated that post; thanks, Iron Maw.

For me, it reinforces my opinion about the handling of the negotiations in this most recent episode. Exactly because there was clearly quite a bit of thought (by the author) put into Subaru's ability to strike up this deal, I think showing us his doing so in a coherent, forceful fashion, more inclusive of the camera, could have played a crucial role in convincing the viewer blow-by-blow that Subaru's turned a corner. Instead, in the manner it was told, he just suddenly strikes a fantastic deal without much buildup or explanation - too sudden a turnabout to feel natural or well told, even if we were all expecting Subaru to finally pull through somehow.
Gistradagis

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:12 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
For me, it reinforces my opinion about the handling of the negotiations in this most recent episode. Exactly because there was clearly quite a bit of thought (by the author) put into Subaru's ability to strike up this deal, I think showing us his doing so in a coherent, forceful fashion, more inclusive of the camera, could have played a crucial role in convincing the viewer blow-by-blow that Subaru's turned a corner. Instead, in the manner it was told, he just suddenly strikes a fantastic deal without much buildup or explanation - too sudden a turnabout to feel natural or well told, even if we were all expecting Subaru to finally pull through somehow.

Considering we came from an entire episode where Subaru finally found new wind, after weeks of rough learning, I'm of the exact opposite opinion. We didn't need more time wasted with the show spoon-feeding us what we already know; Subaru is in the middle of turning a new page, and he's going to utilize what he knows and what he can and can't do in order to get the people involved with the matter to take action against the Whale.

I don't mean this as a personal critique, but I do honestly not understand why people want so much some minutes of Subaru plotting, scheming and striking up deals, when we already know he's going to do that (or rather, that he's done that, when he sits at the negotiating table). His schemes hit us with as much surprise as it does to Crush, and his careful plan surprises both the characters and the spectators. I don't think it would have benefitted the episode, but rather hurt it, if we had sacrificed this tense moment of negotiation only for a couple of scenes of us nodding and saying "how very nice, Subaru is indeed doing stuff."

We all knew he was going to try and convince the other characters using his head this time around, it was the logical and natural step and conclusion, so the leading into the episode was quite natural, and the tension made for a well-told negotiation. Again, If anything, the "build-up" would have ruined the effect, made the scene quite meaningless and stole time we instead spent getting to know more about the situation with the Whale and its victims, like Wilhelm and the retired knights.
MiloTheFirst

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:31 pm Reply with quote
michizure wrote:
michizure wrote:
(1) Who hired Elsa, the Bowel Cutter? ... Whoever made the hire wanted to disqualify Emilia, even though this would (presumably) delay the selection until two more candidates were found. Why would you hire someone with a reputation like "Bowel Cutter" and yet not instruct her to simply kill her target? On the other hand, if all you wanted was to steal the amulet, why not go to (someone like) Felt directly?

Circumstantial evidence now points to Priscilla or her faction, as the only one of the three (discounting Felt, who was Elsa's victim and not in the running at the time) who hasn't teamed up with Emilia's faction at this point.

To me, it is more likely that the one who planned the theft of the insignia is not part of any opposing faction. so far, judging by the conversation they had with subaru when he was asking for help on previous loops and their meeting in the palace, plus the scene with the apple vendor, none of the candidates thought of emilia as even a slight threat. so why would they try to take her out? on a limited entry contest it is actually safer to go against a contender you know is going to lose than to risk someone more popular taking her place. There is also the matter of "the bowel hunter" as you mentioned, why would they hire a renown assassin for a theft? as emilia said "just losing the badge was enough to get disqualified", even if the patron was expecting emilia to put up some resistance, why hire someone who would go out of her way to kill every person in the building, the mission would have been accomplished as long as she (forcefully or not) snatch the badge from felt's hand and escaped, even if someone had seen her face the point would still have been made that emilia was unable to protect the badge. on the other hand successfully killing emilia would open unnecessary hostilities between aristocrats and potentially start a civil war, none of which any of the candidates or their faction would desire

Maybe because I don't want to pass it as either bad writing or a mere plot device but I find very suspicious how extremely negligent roswald is towards security, from having no soldiers at all in his mansion or domain in general (as suggested by the second and third arc) to just letting emilia roam alone on the streets of the capital even slums. I mean he is betting his future political gain and influence on her. Either that guy is clearly into something or is unbelievably naive, and by unbelievably I mean bad writing
MiloTheFirst

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Gistradagis wrote:

We didn't need more time wasted with the show spoon-feeding us what we already know;

Again, it is not about the show spoon feeding us things we already know, but justifying why certain character know it (when and how they learn/realise them). in order words to keep consistency in the story telling. we can surely imagine by ourselves several ways subaru came up with the idea that crusch was interested at all on the whale (the weapons could have been to attack anyone else), but since the show doesn't tell us, then "officially" he just randomly and "conveniently" guess it, thus an aspull

Quote:
Subaru is in the middle of turning a new page, and he's going to utilize what he knows and what he can and can't do in order to get the people involved with the matter to take action against the Whale.

I don't mean this as a personal critique, but I do honestly not understand why people want so much some minutes of Subaru plotting, scheming and striking up deals, when we already know he's going to do that

Precisely because he finally admitted that he needed to work hard and apply his mind to obtain what he wants, that this world was not going to treat him as a fairy tale MC and conveniently make things work for him, is that we need to see him while he is putting on that effort (it just so happen that in this case it has to be through scheming and planning). otherwise the statement loses its power. in short to reinforce subaru's character development. what we got instead was the opposite, character calling back to how well things worked for him off-camera. sure, we knew he was going to go through this and that he was most likely (on a narrative sense) going to succeed, but actually seeing him doing so is the payoff for the ordeals he went through.

That's just my opinion, I understand why some people would disagree
Gistradagis

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:55 pm Reply with quote
MiloTheFirst wrote:
To me, it is more likely that the one who planned the theft of the insignia is not part of any opposing faction. so far, judging by the conversation they had with subaru when he was asking for help on previous loops and their meeting in the palace, plus the scene with the apple vendor, none of the candidates thought of emilia as even a slight threat. so why would they try to take her out? on a limited entry contest it is actually safer to go against a contender you know is going to lose than to risk someone more popular taking her place. There is also the matter of "the bowel hunter" as you mentioned, why would they hire a renown assassin for a theft? as emilia said "just losing the badge was enough to get disqualified", even if the patron was expecting emilia to put up some resistance, why hire someone who would go out of her way to kill every person in the building, the mission would have been accomplished as long as she (forcefully or not) snatch the badge from felt's hand and escaped, even if someone had seen her face the point would still have been made that emilia was unable to protect the badge. on the other hand successfully killing emilia would open unnecessary hostilities between aristocrats and potentially start a civil war, none of which any of the candidates or their faction would desire

Maybe because I don't want to pass it as either bad writing or a mere plot device but I find very suspicious how extremely negligent roswald is towards security, from having no soldiers at all in his mansion or domain in general (as suggested by the second and third arc) to just letting emilia roam alone on the streets of the capital even slums. I mean he is betting his future political gain and influence on her. Either that guy is clearly into something or is unbelievably naive, and by unbelievably I mean bad writing

Considering what we know and have seen, Roswaald is very clearly playing his own game, hidden to us and everyone else.

As someone mentioned many pages ago, in the manga (I think?) adaptation, Roswaald attacks Subaru when he steps out of line during the reunion of the selection candidates (all coming from the fact that he indirectly pushed Subaru to force his way into the reunion), making Puck appear so stop the attack, which has the elders recognize it as a great spirit, and Roswaald make some face of recognition or smth, his plan having worked out.
Coupled with the rest of things we know and have seen, and the fact that it's indeed extremely suspicious how "laid-back" his security and dealings seem to be, I'd say it points out 99% to him being scheming smth, and 1% an unbelievable case of bad writing.
Gistradagis

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:05 pm Reply with quote
MiloTheFirst wrote:
Again, it is not about the show spoon feeding us things we already know, but justifying why certain character know it (when and how they learn/realise them). in order words to keep consistency in the story telling. we can surely imagine by ourselves several ways subaru came up with the idea that crusch was interested at all on the whale (the weapons could have been to attack anyone else), but since the show doesn't tell us, then "officially" he just randomly and "conveniently" guess it, thus an aspull

But the show DOES tell us, during last week's episode. Subaru explains how he got some suspicions, how a couple things half-confirmed them, and that he decided to take the risk and go "all-in."
It's not convenient. This is all information we've seen before, Subaru included, but that he didn't think about because he was still in his big, good ol' hole of stress and desperation. Also, this is not said in the show, but we can also make the assumption that seeing how military-like Crush is, and how she's all "we must defend ourselves and screw that damn dragon which supposedly protects the country," it makes more believable that she'd have an interest in hunting some monstrous creature that has haunted the people of the country for decades.

MiloTheFirst wrote:
Precisely because he finally admitted that he needed to work hard and apply his mind to obtain what he wants, that this world was not going to treat him as a fairy tale MC and conveniently make things work for him, is that we need to see him while he is putting on that effort (it just so happen that in this case it has to be through scheming and planning). otherwise the statement loses its power. in short to reinforce subaru's character development. what we got instead was the opposite, character calling back to how well things worked for him off-camera. sure, we knew he was going to go through this and that he was most likely (on a narrative sense) going to succeed, but actually seeing him doing so is the payoff for the ordeals he went through.

That's just my opinion, I understand why some people would disagree

We are making too many suppositions of his dealings before the negotiation. Just like Subaru says, and as we can see, the real deal, the truly stressful and "all or nothing" situation is the negotiation with Crush. If they had skipped it, now that would be awful and stupid writing. But instead they gave us that scene, which showcases Subaru showing how he's using his head again, shows his deductions and implies at a couple dealings.
This is key to the argument, too. The secret dealings were nothing but a couple conversations with already half-convinced people. They want profit, and Subaru can offer it. The show could either spend half the episode to show us all of those, which feels hugely unnecessary to me just for a couple of "well-thought, Subaru, thumbs up," skip everything and leave us "lulwut, are we to just assume he's dealt with all the previous problems through magic?", or what we got, a scene that showcases all the previous dealings and seals the character progression we've started to see.
This is all why I consider what we got the better outcome. The pace was already rushed a bit to end with the epic entry of the Whale and charge of Subaru and Rem. Imagine if we had lost 2-3 minutes with scenes that, good or bad, are mostly unnecessary.
MiloTheFirst

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Gistradagis wrote:

But the show DOES tell us, during last week's episode. Subaru explains how he got some suspicions, how a couple things half-confirmed them, and that he decided to take the risk and go "all-in."

It's not convenient. This is all information we've seen before, Subaru included, but that he didn't think about because he was still in his big, good ol' hole of stress and desperation.

no, it Does not tell us, and he does not explain. he just says "well, i learned that the price of weapons are going up, and I have seen an unusual amount of wagons going in and out of your state, plus I saw this very important merchant talking to your butler" from this it is very safe to assume she was the one collecting the weapons, but that doesn't even slightly suggest she was planning to use them in anything whale-related, precisely because no one knows when and where it would appear (except by subaru of course) is that anyone preparing for a crusade against it seems unlikely (what were they gonna do with all those swords if they just never came across the whale while operating as a militia?)

the scene when wilhelm thanks him and Crusch then pointing out subaru was being dishonest confirms that subaru had not realized there was any kind of beef between anyone on that mansion and the whale, so that means he could not have make the connection that crusch's ambition was defeating the whale from the conversation between the merchant and the butler.
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Gin-No-Ji wrote:
Rinkwolf wrote:

if anything, you're the one who's undervaluing emilia for ur previous post saying that the contract for healing happened because of roswaal or that emilia had no real influence in showing that subaru is a good person.

if not for emilia's unwavering support and encouragement in all iterations, subaru's not going to be sane enough to think much less escape from rem's trial. in ep 18 she thinks of his face on emilia's lap, so rem hold that scene quite dear to heart.

bringing him back to the manor only happened because of emilia's goodwill and sense of duty, it wasn't a given. as shown in the first iteration of the mansion arc, even he recognize that he's very suspicious to come at this time, to be near emilia. he was to be judged if he's a spy and roswaal/ram/rem/beatrice all judged him, and only emilia supported him.

you say that Subaru is experiencing pain because of Emilia both psychological (her basically cutting ties with him and being unable to understand him and his intentions but you didn't take into account that subaru caused the mess himself. she on the other hand still uphold the contract just for his sake, so it's unfair to state that emilia is the cause of his pain.

I get the distinct notion you are reading what isn't there. I never made any judgements of Emilia or her character, simply what positions she finds herself in when viewed from Subaru's perspective. You somehow translated that to mean I somehow am bashing her. Which i'm on. You than proceed to belittle what Subaru has done and solely blame him for the misfortunes that have befallen him. He may have acted in short tempered ways but you have to understand that his hand was forced in some of those situations, some of which could have been avoided if Emilia took a different approach.

Also, how does me stating that Roswald had something to do with Subaru recuperating mean that Emilia had nothing to do with it.

Life ain't fair, but it still goes on, unwittingly or not the fact of the matter is that Subaru current source of pain is Emilia. I'm not saying that it's intentional, but the fact still remains that all Subaru's pain wouldn't be there if it wasn't for Emilia. That is simply the role she plays right now because of prior events playing out the way they have, it is simply a product of circumstance. But, it is still a matter of fact.
Gistradagis

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:18 am Reply with quote
MiloTheFirst wrote:
Gistradagis wrote:

It's not convenient. This is all information we've seen before, Subaru included, but that he didn't think about because he was still in his big, good ol' hole of stress and desperation.

no, it Does not tell us, and he does not explain. he just says "well, i learned that the price of weapons are going up, and I have seen an unusual amount of wagons going in and out of your state, plus I saw this very important merchant talking to your butler" from this it is very safe to assume she was the one collecting the weapons, but that doesn't even slightly suggest she was planning to use them in anything whale-related, precisely because no one knows when and where it would appear (except by subaru of course) is that anyone preparing for a crusade against it seems unlikely (what were they gonna do with all those swords if they just never came across the whale while operating as a militia?)

the scene when wilhelm thanks him and Crusch then pointing out subaru was being dishonest confirms that subaru had not realized there was any kind of beef between anyone on that mansion and the whale, so that means he could not have make the connection that crusch's ambition was defeating the whale from the conversation between the merchant and the butler.

And, again, Subaru himself explains it all to us. He very clearly mentions that this was all a huge gamble, since he couldn't be sure at all, but that since he had seen how "we gotta take arms and defend our people ourselves" Crush was, her getting plenty or equipment and getting readying for "something" was quite suspicious, and obviously meant she wanted to do something. She might not have done anything, and maybe she was just getting ready for any day in which she might find the Whale herself.
But Subaru knows that the Whale showing up is the only especial thing going on, and also knows about Crush's attitude towards all these mythical beasts. So, as he mentions, he takes a huge gamble, all on guessing that she probably has an interest in defeating such a hazard to the people of the country, and makes sure to sweeten the deal just in case since, again, this is all a gamble.

He puts all his cards on the table, and succeeds, the information which he already knew from previous episodes paying off (hence, this is very clearly not "out of the blue", since everything he says we already knew from before). This all brings us to what I said, one negotiation scene which is intense and showcases this change of methods on Subaru, instead of spending 1/3 of the episode with information we already know, and with interactions that are unnecessary if you are going to do a negotiating scene.

Btw, if the complain goes towards "how could he know she really wanted to defeat the Whale," then nothing in your argument really relates to it. No amount of extra scenes and scheming give any extra footing to Subaru's supposition. It's a gamble and he's barely convinced by what he's seen before that it might be about the Whale, that's all. This is why he calls it a gamble, and not a trade.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 51 of 73