• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Berserk

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:14 am Reply with quote
ShinuZERO wrote:
Yes, it is. Instead of having to draw each individual frame of movement for a character you can have an unchanging 3D model and just manipulate it into different poses.
CG is very very expensive, you have to model, rig, texture. And then you've got to tell it where to move and how to move, and then you've got to wait until it has finished rendering. With traditional animation there are many ways to cut down on the work. Reuse animation cuts, animate just the mouth during conversations, use clever camera angles to conceal a lack of movement(for example show the upper portion of someone walking, and you can just move their body up and down without having to animate a proper walk cycle).
Peebs

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:35 am Reply with quote
I have read the manga so I know what's coming in the monster/demon/bad guy department. What I'm not ready for is the almost-eye-cancer flip flopping between badly done CG (Isidoro's encounter with the Kushan) and traditional animation (close up of Mosguz's rapture filled face when showing Farnese his handiwork). When I cringe, it's because of that. And it's damn disappointing that I have reduced this show to that. I'll continue watching. I've waited too long to see this animated to drop it because the animation sucks.
danilo07

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:56 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Since I haven't read the manga and refuse to spoil myself, I don't know when Guts's "Berserker Armor" (?) that gives the series its name is going to make an appearance, but we already saw a glimpse of the demon dog that sleeps within him in episode 4, so I hope it's soon!

Where did you get that from? I really doubt that the series is named after Berserker Armor for multiple reasons. I mean the armor is pretty important but it is not crucial enough for it to be in the title of the manga. Miura also makes stuff up as he goes along with the story, so I doubt that he initially had Berserker Armor in mind. I was thought the title came from Guts's rage, I know Miura spoke how his original goal with the manga was to depict a hero full of anger with nothing else in his life, so "Berserker" would in that sense be just Guts.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I have to reiterate that I'm glad I'm digesting this story only once a week. There's only so many emaciated dying babies and men left to die with their shattered limbs wrapped around the spokes of a wagon wheel that you can digest in one sitting.

Just imagine living with this story day in and day out for 25 years. No wonder he finally started taking some hiatuses from it. But it's probably still rattling around in his head even when he's not drawing it.
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:56 am Reply with quote
As Jacob says, even non-manga viewers can tell that the characterization is very rushed. Although based on how they've adapted things so far, I don't think it's going to change anytime soon. Anyway, the last two episodes have been surprisingly decent. I feel like episode 5 is the first episode I've seen that doesn't feel like they're trying to cram everything into a single episode or throwing in the stuff they skipped over from the manga. The way they're adapting the main plot of the Conviction arc so far is okay and I'm honestly a little shocked at much they didn't cut like spoiler[the rape horse, the torture scenes, Luca's sex scene, etc. ]. Apparently, they can't show nipples though, lol. Too bad the show still looks terrible 90% of the time and passable the remaining 10%.

Question for everyone: I'm seeing this series listed at 24 episodes. Based on how they're adapting the story so far, it looks like they may not need all the remaining episodes to finish the Conviction arc. Will this show (or season) go into the next arc? I'm curious because we do see a glimpse of spoiler[Schierke and Flora] in the first episode.

Peebs wrote:
What I'm not ready for is the almost-eye-cancer flip flopping between badly done CG (Isidoro's encounter with the Kushan) and traditional animation (close up of Mosguz's rapture filled face when showing Farnese his handiwork). When I cringe, it's because of that.

Me too. The constant flipping between 2d and 3d is partly why the show looks so bad. The irony is that some of the 2d animation looks almost as bad as the 3d. Like in the OP sequence.
Souther

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:51 am Reply with quote
CoreSignal wrote:

Question for everyone: I'm seeing this series listed at 24 episodes. Based on how they're adapting the story so far, it looks like they may not need all the remaining episodes to finish the Conviction arc. Will this show (or season) go into the next arc?

The producer said they were working on 12 episodes and the official site says Conviction'll end in 12 episodes: http://www.wowow.co.jp/pg_info/wk_new/010825.php

Nothing's been confirmed about any more adaptations, but honestly, I think even skilled studios wouldn't wanna take that beast of an arc on and fully adapt it into a series. If they do, it'll most likely end at manga chapter (episode) 229. If this studio goes for adapting the next arc from beginning to end, I'd give them props just for attempting it. But honestly, I'm not expecting anymore, this adaptation's just to promote Berserk's name with post-Golden Age material. Anything the series has cut out, Hakusensha's giving out their digital volumes 1-14 for free until 30th Sept (JPN language only of course) and Young Animal's republishing manga episodes/chapters as supplementary material to get people mostly up to speed. In other words, they want you to read the manga (and/or buy the game).

Episode 5's done a decent job capturing the crushing atmosphere of Albion.
Ulinox

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Man, these reviews are HARSH.
nomyx

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Having watched 6 episodes so far, I have come to the realisation that the producers launched themselves into something they couldn't possibly handle, visually-wise. I personally think that they'd do best to cancel this project and make it into an OVA series instead, like Hellsing Ultimate. I mean, they're the ones who decided to go with CGI, and i wasn't completely against it. But... the real issue is still the same after 6 episodes: the animation. It just feels so damn unnatural it hurts. They even try to balance it with some 2d animation but, sadly, it still doesn't cut it..., it just looks so bad. Im not a hardcore fan of the manga either, but I still had some hopes that this could actually be good. I love berserk, but this adaptation is a disappointment.
wolf10

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:54 pm Reply with quote
nomyx wrote:
I personally think that they'd do best to cancel this project and make it into an OVA series instead, like Hellsing Ultimate.
That's... not a good example to use. Hellsing Ultimate was itself cancelled multiple times and passed around to different studios in production hell for years before finally coughing up a finale with almost no budget to speak of.

Honestly, after Knights of Sidonia and Ajin, the CGI really doesn't bug me. It's still way better than the suits in GARO. Then again, I also think the complaints about the CG in the movie trilogy are totally unfounded, but I've noticed that the rose-tinted glasses are strong in these parts.
nubguy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:55 pm Reply with quote
I am still going to stand by what I said earlier and go against all of you on this one. Lol I think people are exaggerating the CGI way too much, complaining about something that hardly even exists. It honestly looks pretty damn amazing, and I really cannot fathom how people are not impressed by this. Sure, it isn't the same as traditional anime, but it still looks really awesome. Not to mention the writing is top notch. I just don't get it. This is my favorite show of the season, hands down.
Caramichael

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Did she do this out of fear of being burned herself? Was she abused and lashing out at an unfair world? Or does she simply "want to see the world burn" and covers this demented desire up by coating it in false layers of self-righteousness?

From what I understood it was cut from the episode, but in the manga, Farneze actually masturbates while reminiscing and it is implied that the excitation of the crowd is what turned her on for the first time. That's why the demon in the previous arc exploited her sexual frustration, that's because it is the ugly truth behind her devotion.

Quote:
Unlike Guts who must fight to defend himself every night, it seems like Casca is protected from demon consumption by her mark as Griffith's "bride," not to mention the lingering specter of her abandoned demon child.

Actually, it is only by the actions of the demon child that she survives. The brand acts exactly like Guts' but the child repulse the demons everytime they make an attempt on her. Like Skullknight said (at least in the manga) "Children honor their parents, but of course, demons will honor their parents in the limits of their nature".
Souther

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Well, I'll post what I liked/interested me in this episode.

Nina's definitely a window into the perspective of the refugees in Albion and how they deal with all the terrible stuff that happens to them. She's a frail suffering from a venereal disease and hopelessly crushed by everything that's going on around her. She's also pretty self-loathing and takes it out on others, you can see it mostly when Luca confronts her about what she's doing and she goes on a tirade about how "preachy" Luca is and how she's "just a whore like her". Nina's jealous of Luca because she's everything Nina isn't; strong and kind and it makes her feel even worse about herself. She's also a window into why people would join the heretics, they feel crushed by the Holy See and want to rebel against the order and what it stands for. So they flay the priests and engage in all these hedonistic and terrible rituals.

I like that Farnese's conflicted about her role and how she might be contributing to the terribleness that's going on. I also like how Miura depicts the torturers and humanises them a bit (and perhaps Mozgus as well since he took them in despite their appearances and conditions). I don't think Mozgus's reassurance of Farnese's faith, fully comes across here though because of cut dialogue.

Originally, Mozgus also tells Farnese a story about a holy woman, who devoted her life to helping those in need and comforting people in their time of death. She comes across a dying man who rejects her help because he believed his state was proof of his proud life of independence and solitude and didn't want her to take that away from him. Mozgus uses that story as an example of how you can never really know how people'll receive the help you give them, and how it's all the more reason one should act only in God's name and put your faith in him anyway, even if you aren't thanked for what you do, because you're doing what's right. I suppose people'd get the meaning behind what Mozgus was saying anyway, but I think the story adds to it.

Anyway, as far as Mozgus is concerned, they're doing God's duty by punishing the heretics (some of whom might not even be heretics) and they're protecting the priests and the common people from them. Ultimately, both the heretics and Mozgus and co. are ignorant to how they're contributing to the events that Skull Knight was talking about.

Skull Knight says Guts's brand will provide some assistance, but the explanation is cut out (alongside other stuff). As Skull Knight says, the events happening have been prearranged, through causality (incorrectly translated as karma by Crunchyroll). However, the brand puts its victims in the borderline between the physical world and the astral world, the latter world being one where causality doesn't apply. Since Guts is "half a step" in the astral world, and thus slightly outside the physical world and the flow of events, it gives him a marginal chance to make a difference. Dunno if anyone cares, but oh well lol.

So, who noticed the Goddess of Flames was Slan?
Caramichael

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Souther wrote:
Nina's jealous of Luca because she's everything Nina isn't; strong and kind and it makes her feel even worse about herself.

And I like that it's exactly what Luca has been fighting to prevent. Her whole Alliance idea was to prevent other people to get jealous but in the end it is the closest to her that will resent her the most. It is quite a subdued criticism of idealism, even if you do all you can to make people happy, there will always be people to envy you.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6 really made me both remember just how good and interesting the story of Berserk actually is, and realize just how poorly paced and slapped together this anime feels. The core story, the ideas presented, and a lot of the characterizations are excellent, but the slipshod production really takes away from it. There were several instances where there was no logical transition from one scene to the next, making it seem like a bunch of scenes strung together, rather than a cohesive narrative.

And yet, I'm still looking forward to the next episode. I think it's a testament to the quality of Berserk's writing that the show is still able to be engaging even with all of its production problems.
EducatedRuffian

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:58 am Reply with quote
Ok, the 90's anime is one of my all-time favourites (even if it didn't age too well), and I love the manga, but I'm losing my patience with this series episode by episode due to the crappy CGI.

I think I'll just stick to the manga thank you.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 20