• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Mob Psycho 100

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Valhern

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:31 pm Reply with quote
iatheia wrote:
I was being sarcastic, if that wasn't clear.

This is so not the hill to try to kill everyone over. You think that someone oversimplified him, I think that you read waaaaaaaaaay too much into it. We have the right to our own interpretation of his character traits, even if you don't agree with it, and you are not going to change my mind, no matter how you try. In either case you make him even sound even less compelling with your gun-ho defense. Let it go.

I know that was supposed to be sarcastic but the sarcasm implied something that was never mentioned so I supposed that also was an opinion on the show or something I said.

And the "right to our own interpretation" is applied to me too, and as long as we can keep it civil, I see no harm in keeping a discussion up. I do not pretend to change anyone's mind or make them like something they just don't, I don't like that being done to me either. All I and Kikaioh are doing is exchanging points of view, in my opinion they overlooked certain stuff and in their opinion I'm overlooking or underplaying others in favour of my opinion, what would be your problem with that? There is a block feature if you don't like my "gung-ho" defense of the show.

Last edited by Valhern on Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Personally I like Mob. He is a very relatable and interesting character to me. And I think that he is exceptionally well written for a lot of the reasons that both Nick and Valhern have stated. Anyway, that's my two cents. Valhern, you are a much better person than I. Cheers.
anng16

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:53 am Reply with quote
Valhern wrote:

I know that was supposed to be sarcastic but the sarcasm implied something that was never mentioned so I supposed that also was an opinion on the show or something I said.

And the "right to our own interpretation" is applied to me too, and as long as we can keep it civil, I see no harm in keeping a discussion up. I do not pretend to change anyone's mind or make them like something they just don't, I don't like that being done to me either. All I and Kikaioh are doing is exchanging points of view, in my opinion they overlooked certain stuff and in their opinion I'm overlooking or underplaying others in favour of my opinion, what would be your problem with that? There is a block feature if you don't like my "gung-ho" defense of the show.

I wouldn't worry too much about the entire "emo" thing. Everyone's is going to be chocking on their foot about this when episode 5 hits(end of Teru arc)
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:18 am Reply with quote
Valhern wrote:
What I actually wanted to discuss is on people saying "Nah, this is the typical brooding teenager guy whose life is so crappy that he can't show emotions because he would kill people", to me that's oversimplifying Mob's character, because, like I said before, he has far more relatable reasons to be the way he is than the type of character you're trying to make him to be.

I think it's worth mentioning that the whole reason that character trope was popular in the first place is that a set of people did find it relatable. It, like many tropes, is clearly blended with no small amount of fantasy, but there's still a relatable element to connect said fantasy to real people. In this case, the whole self-loathing-as-source-of-self-esteem thing. So, I don't think the question of whether Mob is emo is a proxy for general relatability.

Of course, since Mob is a crazy powerful psychic who can clearly do things that other people cannot and whose powers are also clearly intertwined with the personality traits that lead others to devalue him, Mob is also a fantasy-fulfillment character for the ostracized. So, whether he's a full-blown card carrying emo or not, there's definitely that in common.

Personally, I don't find Mob relatable. I haven't found bona fide emo protagonists relatable either. So, they have that in common, too. Razz
seoulman1985

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:39 am Reply with quote
Hearing Otsuka Akio (Solid Snake, Big Boss, Batou) as the voice of Dimple, a dead ringer for Slimer, just cracks me up! Anime hyper
Brand

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:08 pm Reply with quote
I find Mob pretty repeatable (at least to my tween and teen-aged self). I was a depressed kid with a lot of emotional problems and all I wanted to do was to disappear into the crowd and be like everyone else. But no matter what I did some how it just never worked. Eventually, I stopped caring but that took a long time.

This is ending up being my favorite show for the season. I liked One-Punch Man well enough but wasn't crazy about it. But the beats in this I find funnier and more relatable. I am also really enjoying the how well the score works and how interesting the animation can be.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:36 pm Reply with quote
HelloBucket wrote:
I think it's worth mentioning that the whole reason that character trope was popular in the first place is that a set of people did find it relatable. It, like many tropes, is clearly blended with no small amount of fantasy, but there's still a relatable element to connect said fantasy to real people. In this case, the whole self-loathing-as-source-of-self-esteem thing. So, I don't think the question of whether Mob is emo is a proxy for general relatability.

Mob can't be emo or I would be eating this up with a spoon. Very Happy Angst is my wheelhouse. Mob is not in it.

I don't dislike this series, but neither am I embracing it yet. It is getting better though.
FireballDragon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:41 pm Reply with quote
The introduction of a rival, huh? Things are getting intense.

I wonder if this is gonna get a dub, like its "older brother", so to speak.
FireballDragon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:41 pm Reply with quote
The introduction of a rival, huh? Things are getting intense.

I wonder if this is gonna get a dub, like its "older brother", so to speak.
FireballDragon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:46 pm Reply with quote
I'M SORRY, I'M SORRY, I'M SO, SO, SORRY!

This website is being really freakin' slow for some reason, so I got a little ahead of myself and clicked the submit button 3 times!
meiam

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:07 pm Reply with quote
See I though this episode was much better (the body improvement club member are really fun and dimple bring in a much needed straight man when Reige isn't around), but reading the review just highlighted most of the stuff I dislike.

Having Mob feel like an outsider because of his power is non sense. His power have literally no downside, he's not physically weak because of his power, he's not un-popular because of his power, he's not bad at school because of his power. His power are literally all plus with no downside, he could easily live the exact same life his brother has, he just doesn't and then blame his power (which, imo really make him an emo "it's the world fault not my own").
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:22 pm Reply with quote
I feel like a lot of people are slowly starting to realize just how off the mark they were with this series. And the manga readers were telling us this the whole time, they completely misread it from the outset. It's far more than just some One Punch Man clone (heck, I think ONE actually created this first, but don't quote me on that), and I think it's really unfair for all the fresh eyes to just scoff it off as such. Plus the animation and music are just so freaking orgasmic, I love anime productions like this that actually stand out from the pack of the generic "factory settings" anime aesthetic. (Not that those shows can't be good too, but I'm just a total sucker for sakuga and experimental animation) It's getting so much better with every episode so far and by the end of the season I have a feeling it will be on a lot of people's favorite lists. It reminds me of the community's initial reaction to Space Dandy in a lot of ways.

Also, the body improvement club is just THE BEST.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:36 pm Reply with quote
↑ To be fair Space Dandy season 1, was not as good as season 2. I mean it had some good episodes, but there was some pretty weak episodes, especially the first 3.
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Jayhosh wrote:
(heck, I think ONE actually created this first, but don't quote me on that).

He may have come up with the concept first, but he was publishing OPM online well before he started Mob Psycho. 2009 for the OPM webcomic. 2012 for Mob Psycho.

In any event, that doesn't affect how much I like either series. I think they are both fantastic, but I agree with many people that this is actually a better series all things considered. And I think it mostly just comes down to better directing. I love Shingo Natsume, but OPM had a lot of really mediocre down time, while Mob Psycho is consistently at the top of its game.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:52 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
↑ To be fair Space Dandy season 1, was not as good as season 2. I mean it had some good episodes, but there was some pretty weak episodes, especially the first 3.

True, but people still went into it initially expecting another Cowboy Bebop, and when they didn't get that they were underwhelmed. But once people accepted it for what it was rather than what it wasn't, they discovered a creative and imaginative series. I feel the parallels to OPM and MP100 are pretty appropriate. Although I do think these two have more in common tonally than CB/SD, they still manage to stand apart from each other due to having their own unique themes and characters.[/quote]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 14