• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix, DreamWorks' Voltron Reimagining Gets 2nd Season in Late 2016

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beansprout Midget

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:28 am Reply with quote
Nice nice nice! I had a good time with this show, and have quite a few questions going into this next season. Looking forward to it!
Break Xerxes

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:42 am Reply with quote
I wasn't expecting season two until at least a year. Glad to know it will be this year.
Zendervai

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:03 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Wow, they work fast.

If this was a Japanese production committee, the next season won't come for a couple years.

Netflix is sorta kinda cheating here. They did the same thing with the Dragons: Race to the Edge series where they order 22 or so episodes at a time...and then split it in half and call each half a season. It's not exactly a bad approach, but it can be a little misleading on what exactly is going on.
bones2039

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:36 am Reply with quote
Glad to see the new episodes will be out earlier than I original thought. I enjoyed what they have done with the series for the most part.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:34 pm Reply with quote
zendervai wrote:

Netflix is sorta kinda cheating here. They did the same thing with the Dragons: Race to the Edge series where they order 22 or so episodes at a time...and then split it in half and call each half a season. It's not exactly a bad approach, but it can be a little misleading on what exactly is going on.

Anime does that all the time, it's called split cour. Cartoons also started doing something similar with episodes themselves. Cartoons used to be 30 minute episodes with two 11 minutes segments, but now they just air one 11 minute segment and call it an episode which effectively doubles a series length so they can say a show is 104 episodes long when it's really just 52 episodes and the network just spits them up. It lets them drag out a show longer.

Not the first time humor has been complaining about. That's just the way modern cartoons are written these days. It helps keep things from being too serious which might upset parents and younger viewers.

-Stuart Smith
Ryomanagare

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Hope Lance doesn't get toned down, he made a lot of scenes for me.
ReifuTD

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Shouldn't they call this Season 1b or something? They only streamed 13 episodes and kind of abruptly ended no why in hell that was intended to be a full season besides it wouldn't even been a year since the show premiered at this rate what should be season 2 they will call seasons 3 and 4, S3 will be 5 and 6. Some people will be rolling their eye after they hear the words "Season 6".
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:49 pm Reply with quote
AtoMan wrote:
Too bad the show still isn't available worldwide. It seems Dreamworks opted to leave it for third-party licensing just like their other properties, but since Voltron is not based on any popular cinematic franchise, TV stations aren't really interested. Which is sad, since the show's quality is MUCH higher than most of the stuff on children's TV.

Spongebob and Teen Titans Go aren't based on any popular cinematic franchise it's not airing on TV because Netflix has exclusive airing rights for it, it's the same reason you won't find Daredevil or House Of Cards on HBO or Showtime.

ReifuTD wrote:
Shouldn't they call this Season 1b or something? They only streamed 13 episodes and kind of abruptly ended no why in hell that was intended to be a full season besides it wouldn't even been a year since the show premiered at this rate what should be season 2 they will call seasons 3 and 4, S3 will be 5 and 6. Some people will be rolling their eye after they hear the words "Season 6".

13 episodes is a pretty good number for a animated show's season run especially for one that's essentially based off an anime where shows can be anywhere from 12-50 episodes on average.

Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Sevokevo Royuki wrote:
tsvkkis wrote:
Is this show good? If it is can someone tell me why and what's it about, I read the summary and all but I'm still not convinced Embarassed
(I keep thinking it'll be similar to Gurren Lagann)

But yes it is similar to Gurren Lagaan but without the Fan Service and a different story style about 5 Lions combining into a powerful Mecha verse a Big Robot and a Small robot coming together to become s unstoppable force.

No, this isn't anything like Gurren Lagann, the only similarity is that it has smaller robots combining to make a larger, Gundam-like robot. In style, plot, characterization and storytelling it's completely different.
Voltron's Pluses:
--Action: Joaquim Dos Santos made a name for himself directing dynamic action scenes in cartoons like Justice League Unlimited and Avatar: the Last Airbender. This is the first time he's served as a CoShowrunner of a show, and it doesn't disappoint. Voltron is chock full of action sequences, from one-on-one spars to Giant Robot Fighting in Space!
--Animation: Studio Mir proved themselves on Korra, and they do a great job here.

--Plot In short, 5 teenagers from Earth are flung out into the galaxy to fight an alien threat that, unbeknownst to Earth (or them) have already taken over most of the galaxy. Each kid is given a lion vehicle robot to pilot, when all 5 combine, they make a powerful Gundam looking weapon called Voltron. They are guided by a princess who has been in cold sleep since her people lost the war centuries ago. Simple plot, but the series explores the ramifications of a controlling galaxy spanning empire that uses slave labor, the princess waking up hundreds of years after everyone she's known has been killed (except her servant), the pilots issues with being kids caught in a war they don't want to fight, etc.
Voltron's Minuses:
--Humor: Most people would find it a bit too juvenile for adult tastes, particularly Rhys Darby's character, who's supposed to be the most mature adult on the show. I think the humor will mature as the show does, with more character based jokes and less silly slapstick as the show goes on. That's what happened in Avatar, anyway.

--Characterization--Most of the characters get some focus and depth. Dark backstories were hinted at. But like the humor, they could use more time to mature and gain more complexity. I'm most interested in Keith's character spoiler[the show never went into detail about why he was expelled in the first place, and I doubt his anger problem is just inborn temperament...]
I'm surprised they didn't announce season 2 sooner. Now that's it's been confirmed to air this year, we know it must have been in production for months. These writers are too good (or at least, I trust them too much) to end the show the way they did without knowing there would be at least one more season to continue the story.
Rivailloli

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:21 pm Reply with quote
I absolutely adored the first season. I am so so excited to be hearing this news!

Some of the staff were into Keith and Shiro, so I really hope that we get to see that in this next season. If not then.... Oh well. But the trailer that was released at Comic Con has me on edge. Sigh. I just can hardly wait!
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:51 pm Reply with quote
I didn't know their was a trailer! Did they officially release the trailer, or was it put up online by someone streaming it from their phone?

I was pleasantly surprised that the show had no hints of romance or shipping (that might be a minus for some, I know). I'm not necessarily opposed to romance in the show if its done well, but if Shiro's involved, I'd be even more worried about his fate...
Fenrin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Speaking of shipping, I watched it because everyone on tumblr was going crazy over Shiro/Keith/Lance so I thought it'd be my kind of show, but at the end I was left kind of confused how people came to that conclusion so resolutely. Sure there is potential, but right now there isn't a lot of character interaction or drama to warrant that kind of relationship between any of the characters.

I'm hoping the next part will involve more serious character exploration. I like how much attention Pidge got but they didn't have time for any of the other characters it seems. Allura also got a fair amount but it felt a little hollow to me.
redranger

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:18 pm Reply with quote
I was cautiously optimistic and thus pleasantly surprised with Voltron. I thought it was awesome so I'm glad to hear an official announcement.

keichitsu0305 wrote:
make Lance less annoying for the future episodes

He was a horrible character. I wouldn't mind seeing him getting brutally murdered. That way they can spare Shiro....
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Fenrin wrote:
Speaking of shipping, I watched it because everyone on tumblr was going crazy over Shiro/Keith/Lance so I thought it'd be my kind of show, but at the end I was left kind of confused how people came to that conclusion so resolutely. Sure there is potential, but right now there isn't a lot of character interaction or drama to warrant that kind of relationship between any of the characters.

I don't use Tumblr much (I would, but they have this policy of not allowing visitors to have access to full searches unless they sign up for an account, and I don't want to commit to another huge timesuck in my life right now), but shippers be shippin' Wink Do they really ship them as a threesome? Laughing But yeah, I'm not seeing any ship potential yet, not even between Shiro and the princess, and for a second I thought maybe that would work...but there's no obvious romantic chemistry between any of the leads (side characters don't count).
Fenrin wrote:
I'm hopring the next part will involve more serious character exploration. I like how much attention Pidge got but they didn't have time for any of the other characters it seems. Allura also got a fair amount but it felt a little hollow to me.

I also felt Allura's development was lacking, especially since they had so much to work with. Maybe the *destruction of her entire civilization* hasn't really hit her yet Or maybe it's because she's not the protagonist?. Aang was in a similar situation in the first season of AtLA, but he got more of a chance express emotions over his situation (especially guilt, anger and angst). It doesn't make sense that someone would wake up hundreds of years after everyone they knew died and not deal with a lot of grief and anger. Even Fry from Futurerama got some time to mourn. I felt like Pidge was more angsty than Allura all season, and that doesn't make much sense.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:50 pm Reply with quote
It was a decent watch... but if you're an avid anime watcher you'll see those twists coming a mile away. spoiler[green palladin, black palladin and original black palladin].

Sevokevo Royuki wrote:
the series is still good to watch for the story.

Uhm... this is not a show you watch for the story. It borrows heavily from pretty much all notable mecha shows. Bunch of kids that aren't a good team learn to fight together and have powerful robots. That's basically Majestic Prince (a much better mecha show). Comic relief butler and mice... yeah. Last of her race princes... Gentle giant, smarass guy who makes awefull jokes... There's nothing original about this show. You watch this for nostalgia, and that's it. And no... it's nothing like TTGR. Like... at all. They both have mechas that combine, but that's where the similarites end.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4