• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Daily Streaming Reviews Schedule: Summer 2016

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
James_Beckett
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:25 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:

I voted for Taboo Tattoo because I'm genuinely interested in where it might go. As of right now, I'm not going to be keeping up with it, but depending on what James has to say about it, I might pick it up. I don't know if that's how the weekly reviews are intended, but it's something I'm trying this season, since I have less time to watch everything that I am interested in.
I've been reading quite a bit of James's work and it's good stuff. He's a good writer and articulates himself well. He's not a larger-than-life personality like some of them, but I'm never bored reading him either.

Hey, thank you! Writing for the site has been an excellent way for me to constantly be improving my writing, so I'm very glad to hear I've been keeping readers entertained. I'll be posting my thoughts on the first handful of Taboo Tattoo episodes next week!
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It's also possible that people honestly just aren't that interested in the show. It's a sequel to a show that has been focusing less and less on plot for the last couple of seasons and only a couple people I know are still on board at all. I love Prisma Illya, and I voted for it, but it's not taking away anything from my enjoyment not having it reviewed. I'll watch it and wait patiently for Theron's series review. No biggie.

I think it's just that some people are bothered by the fact that the show's getting less coverage right when it gets good, and i'm not talking about some good moments, i'm talking about the season as a whole.

PS:If Loli/Yuri stuff is what's turning you off, just know that recently we've been getting 4 or 5 chunks of chapters in a row without more than 1 loli in the same chapter (i think 2 or 3 in a row didn't have loli's in general <.<)
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Random 21 wrote:
Also a little surprised to see Nick get Mob Psycho, given his feelings for OPM.
I really, REALLY didn't care for One Punch Man (In fact in all my years of watching anime I've never been so underwhelmed by a popular series) but I actually quite liked Mob Psycho's first ep. I liked the characters more, I liked the setup more and the jokes had me laughing way harder and more frequently. Even in terms of the animation and the soundtrack, one of the few things that genuinely impressed me in OPM, I found it to be a lot better.

In fact I'm really glad I decided to watch it because thanks to OPM I totally intended to write it off. But after watching it I think it could be one of the best shows of the season if not the entire year.
RocketOtter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:09 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen about 7 of these (mostly cause those ones are sequels of stuff I haven't watched yet), but a lot of what I'm watching is available here.

It sucks that Thunderbolt Fantasy isn't allowed to be added on MAL (because its a puppet show). Otherwise I would've picked it up because it looks really [expletive] good.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:37 pm Reply with quote
^ You can't watch it because MAL won't let you add it to your list? I don't understand...
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Hate to be 'that' person, but this really seems like another dud season. 91 Days and Tales of Zestiria seem serviceable, and the other show that I am compelled to watch isn't on the list, but to be honest it is not particularly great either. It seems like most of the rest of the season is pander fare. Now that I have spoken, I shall return to my hermit hut and reminisce about the golden days of anime over ramen and egg.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:17 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Hate to be 'that' person, but this really seems like another dud season. 91 Days and Tales of Zestiria seem serviceable, and the other show that I am compelled to watch isn't on the list, but to be honest it is not particularly great either. It seems like most of the rest of the season is pander fare. Now that I have spoken, I shall return to my hermit hut and reminisce about the golden days of anime over ramen and egg.

Nah, the "golden days of anime" don't exist. It's just that so much time has passed that people have already forgotten about all the crap that came with those "classics" aka what still happens every season. You like something and you still remember it 1 year latter, which can't be said for the stuff you didn't like. With my 2 cents given, i'm out
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
^ You can't watch it because MAL won't let you add it to your list? I don't understand...

Why would I watch something I can't put on a list?
I don't understand.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

I don't understand.

I don't understand what you mean by that tbh :/
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:39 pm Reply with quote
AksaraKishou wrote:
Quote:

I don't understand.

I get the feeling that first person was serious and killjoy_the is just playing around. Laughing

Catsplay wrote:

Nope, as Jonny Mendes pointed out, it's one of the most anticipated summer anime in Japan, and it's widely known that 3rei is one of the best Fate series in general in relation to it being so true to the original visual novel and the dark themes it throws out. 3rei has more plot than all the previous seasons combined, and is better than what we got for an Unlimited Blade Works adaptation a year back. Sure for you its "No biggie" but for the people that were hyped for this series it's still a slap in the face. Seeing a complete series review after its already finished airing kinda defeats the purpose in my eyes. 3rei deserves spotlight through weekly reviews, but alas looks like ANN won't provide it.

I should have specified "ANN's audience" when I said people. How anticipated it is in Japan is irrelevant. People here don't really care about it. I am hyped for this series. I already said I was really looking forward to it, so no it's not a slap in the face to me or most other hyped fans. It's just you, apparently. It's not a big deal for me that it's not getting weekly reviews because I am not that dependent on someone else's opinion when I already know I'm watching it. You can find weekly reviews of it elsewhere, I almost guarantee it. The lack of reviews here is not some great sin against the fandom.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Catsplay wrote:

Thank you for posting this and pointing this out. I didn't realize that Prsima Illya 3rei was one of the most anticipated anime in Japan. That makes the fact Animenewsnetwork isn't reviewing it all the more painful. I'm just not a fan of the whole "American" tastes or bias towards these series that are popular elsewhere, and I'm an American. Oh well, at least I know that there other fans out there I can talk with about it.

Thank you, Catsplay.
I really think talking about anime subjects in this comment section is one of the best things the anime community can do. As long as people respect each other opinions even when their opinions are different, is a good thing.

And anime have so many different genres and so many anime are made nowadays that the tastes are all over the place. What you and me like allot, like Prisma Illya are also disliked by many others in ANN. As i read many more negative comments about Prisma Illya than positive comments, the result was not a surprise. Even if makes me sad, that was the opinion of the majority of the people that voted, other anime got more votes.
Catsplay

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:59 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
AksaraKishou wrote:
Quote:

I don't understand.

I get the feeling that first person was serious and killjoy_the is just playing around. Laughing

Catsplay wrote:

Nope, as Jonny Mendes pointed out, it's one of the most anticipated summer anime in Japan, and it's widely known that 3rei is one of the best Fate series in general in relation to it being so true to the original visual novel and the dark themes it throws out. 3rei has more plot than all the previous seasons combined, and is better than what we got for an Unlimited Blade Works adaptation a year back. Sure for you its "No biggie" but for the people that were hyped for this series it's still a slap in the face. Seeing a complete series review after its already finished airing kinda defeats the purpose in my eyes. 3rei deserves spotlight through weekly reviews, but alas looks like ANN won't provide it.

I should have specified "ANN's audience" when I said people. How anticipated it is in Japan is irrelevant. People here don't really care about it. I am hyped for this series. I already said I was really looking forward to it, so no it's not a slap in the face to me or most other hyped fans. It's just you, apparently. It's not a big deal for me that it's not getting weekly reviews because I am not that dependent on someone else's opinion when I already know I'm watching it. You can find weekly reviews of it elsewhere, I almost guarantee it. The lack of reviews here is not some great sin against the fandom.

I don't need reviews to validate how I feel about a series, that's not why I thought 3rei should get them, it was more about exposure. 3rei deserves the attention honestly since it becomes something far greater than the niche appeal of previous Prisma Illya seasons. You can tell me I can get weekly reviews of it elsewhere, but this is one of the biggest anime news sites on the web (Apparently the biggest) and someone reading from some blog somewhere isn't the same thing.

Obviously there are other people that do enjoy the series and have voiced annoyance at it not getting reviews besides you, so it does matter to people. Stop trying to brush other people's opinions under the bus because it doesn't "matter" to you, because it sure as hell matters to other people.
Catsplay

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:05 am Reply with quote
Jonny Mendes wrote:
Catsplay wrote:

Thank you for posting this and pointing this out. I didn't realize that Prsima Illya 3rei was one of the most anticipated anime in Japan. That makes the fact Animenewsnetwork isn't reviewing it all the more painful. I'm just not a fan of the whole "American" tastes or bias towards these series that are popular elsewhere, and I'm an American. Oh well, at least I know that there other fans out there I can talk with about it.

Thank you, Catsplay.
I really think talking about anime subjects in this comment section is one of the best things the anime community can do. As long as people respect each other opinions even when their opinions are different, is a good thing.

And anime have so many different genres and so many anime are made nowadays that the tastes are all over the place. What you and me like allot, like Prisma Illya are also disliked by many others in ANN. As i read many more negative comments about Prisma Illya than positive comments, the result was not a surprise. Even if makes me sad, that was the opinion of the majority of the people that voted, other anime got more votes.

Yeah liking a series (That legitimately has a lot of great content) that others are just absolutely negative about due to content they don't agree with is becoming increasingly annoying, especially when people act like they're unbiased but will still low key hate on a series (Which you can tell by their comments). 3rei not getting the attention it deserves is just another negative bullet point on the list of annoyances on ANN. At least its cool when I meet another open minded person like you, but people like you are few and far between on this site lol.
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:40 am Reply with quote
Catsplay wrote:

I don't need reviews to validate how I feel about a series, that's not why I thought 3rei should get them, it was more about exposure. 3rei deserves the attention honestly since it becomes something far greater than the niche appeal of previous Prisma Illya seasons. You can tell me I can get weekly reviews of it elsewhere, but this is one of the biggest anime news sites on the web (Apparently the biggest) and someone reading from some blog somewhere isn't the same thing.

Obviously there are other people that do enjoy the series and have voiced annoyance at it not getting reviews besides you, so it does matter to people. Stop trying to brush other people's opinions under the bus because it doesn't "matter" to you, because it sure as hell matters to other people.

I'm not trying to brush other peoples' opinions under the bus or whatever, but you're making a HUGE deal out of this. And you're the only one doing so. Claiming the ANN community is full of a bunch of close-minded people who are biased against Kaleid because it's not super popular here just strikes me as really weird and entitled. I can sympathize with you wanting it to get more exposure, but, honestly, this is 4 seasons in. Anyone who cares at all is already on board, and everyone else has been gone for quite a while.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:30 am Reply with quote
James_Beckett wrote:
Hey, thank you! Writing for the site has been an excellent way for me to constantly be improving my writing, so I'm very glad to hear I've been keeping readers entertained. I'll be posting my thoughts on the first handful of Taboo Tattoo episodes next week!

*gasp* Another bucket!

SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
I really, REALLY didn't care for One Punch Man (In fact in all my years of watching anime I've never been so underwhelmed by a popular series) but I actually quite liked Mob Psycho's first ep. I liked the characters more, I liked the setup more and the jokes had me laughing way harder and more frequently. Even in terms of the animation and the soundtrack, one of the few things that genuinely impressed me in OPM, I found it to be a lot better.

I'm the same, except for the humor. ONE's humor just doesn't seem to land for me all that often. It's my one big worry going into Mob Psycho.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8