• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Notes near Body Parts in Belgium Linked to Death Note

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
naruto fan 09812

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:05 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
naruto fan 09812 wrote:
Between the ax murder that cause Higurashi Kai preempted and this new situation. You can not say that TV do not affect real life choices. Some people can not not determine what is fiction and what is real.

And some people, like you, cannot tell facts from speculations: there is no hard evidence showing that suspects of the two Japanese ax murder cases had watched and mimicked Higurashi. Besides, even in this Belgian case, the murderer could have been using "Watashi wa Kira dess" as a diversion to mislead investigators.
Sorry,If the thread has pass this. But how many people do you think know about Death Note outside the anime fanbase. I doubt some average joe would have any knowledge of Death Note and its catchphase. So,I ain buying that someone will use Death Note as a prop to get the cops off their trail. Which lead to a very reasonable assumption that this person watch Death Note or was a rabid fan. I am not defending this person actions. What this person did was horrible. But to put your head in the sand and inorge that TV and media can trigger mental problems is a joke. But whatever believe what you want.

Last edited by naruto fan 09812 on Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:26 pm Reply with quote
naruto fan 09812 wrote:
But how many people do you think know about Death Note outside the anime fanbase.

In the Municipality of Taipei alone, there are at least eighty thousand people who had personally watched its live-action movies in theaters, not to mention reruns on TV. It has the #1 box office of all Japanese movies imported in 2006. Most of its audiences can't be called as "anime fans" at all.

naruto fan 09812 wrote:
But to put your head in the sand and inorge that TV and media can trigger mental problems is a joke.

Then The Catcher in the Rye should have been banned decades ago. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Kyasarin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:32 pm Reply with quote
[deleted]

Last edited by Kyasarin on Wed Aug 28, 2024 1:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
naruto fan 09812

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:44 pm Reply with quote
You are missing mine point that I trying to put across. I am not saying there anything could be done to contain this problem. Shows like Law and Order can puts certain ideas in your mind. That can develop into a mental condition. That leads to people not thinking clearly. Am I saying that Law and Order should be ban?. No. But to denied outright the effects TV and media have on your brain. Is totally riduculous.
NailBunnyCares777

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
But to denied outright the effects TV and media have on your brain. Is totally riduculous.

he is right in a sense, tv does have a specific affect on the mind, but so does everything we do as people, if u read a book that u really get into does it not affect u in some way, i think everyone has at one time or another been deeply affected by a show or book or something that they just found to be amazing or touching in some way, but tv has no greater affect on your mind then anything else we do, its not really problem, aside from when lunatics like this guy come along, which just means parents need to not suck at parenting, and catch these psychos and killers before they kill, but tv, deathnote and all forms of media r just entertainment and arent meant to be anything more , aside from religous texts, which of course r another matter all together.
Quote:
SharinganEye

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:08 pm Reply with quote
naruto fan 09812 wrote:
Shows like Law and Order can puts certain ideas in your mind. That can develop into a mental condition. That leads to people not thinking clearly. Am I saying that Law and Order should be ban?. No. But to denied outright the effects TV and media have on your brain. Is totally riduculous.
But you're saying TV makes people go ~craaaaaaaaaaaaazieeeeeeee!~ Law and Order caused mental problems? Why isn't America dead yet? Hell, why don't we have New York problems in South Dakota?

Bandura's done the world good with his study; indeed, there is definitely an effect the media produces on people, but to say it "triggers" psychotic outbursts of random killings is ridiculous.

Media if anything acts as the final straw in an already breaking mind, not a as causation of the deterioration.
LawlietDaniel

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:18 pm Reply with quote
This is an obvious case of one not comprehending justice. This is a sick and horrid event and should not be taken lightly, regardless of your personal feelings toward the story that is Death Note.

This person, male or female, is has depicted their actions like that of Kira. They are mentally ill to do such a thing.

Now, why if someone would go to the extreme with this tragic and brutally flawed character [Light], my question is...

WHERE IS THE L ?

After being a fan of this series and manga for quite a time now, I ended the series hating Kira (Light, Mikami and Misa) ergo seeing L Lawliet, Mello, Near, Watari, Wedi and Aiber (L and his friends, essentially) as divine heroes of a far greater injustice.

No human being should have enough power to destroy any they personally see as unjust. This type of power only leads to corruption. Look at many of the wars that have been battled through out history. Are they not all selfish manifestations of a leader that refuses to agree with others?

Light was corrupt in the series with this power, just as anyone would. This is a story of philosophy, stating how power can rot the innards of any soul, even those with the best intentions.

I'd like to see more ingenious young detectives to crawl through the floor boards than to let a skewed perception of reality lead to Kira imitators.

The world needs more L's .

If you love this story, you'll continue loving it regardless of how it is perceived by others. This is not the end of Death Note for its fans, yet just a warning that it can be unhealthy to focus all energy upon a single fictional telling, or even character for such a matter. I don't blame the story, I blame their inability to differentiate it from reality and how life truly should be.

Let us hope that a real L is on the case so that no further misfortunes plague this precious world of ours.

~danieL
MokonaModoki

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:38 pm Reply with quote
So it's a month later now and I'm still quite curious as to whether anything was ever determined about these parts. Was there actually a murder, or was it drunk med students with a stolen cadaver?
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:53 am Reply with quote
MokonaModoki wrote:
So it's a month later now and I'm still quite curious as to whether anything was ever determined about these parts. Was there actually a murder, or was it drunk med students with a stolen cadaver?

I know

Don't you hate it? The news does some little blurb story & NOTHING is ever heard again. 20 yrs ago I read an article about a baby dying of alcohol poisoning because somehow straight wine was put into it's bottle, but I never saw any story about the 20-something cousin being arrested or any outcome--just a dead baby. I had a feeling this was going to be the same way-news story with no outcome.

On the earlier argument, will tv make a normal person break the law? Hard to say. How often have we seen someone who, for all intents & purposes is a "normal" human being sink an ax into his wife of 20 yrs or a spouse just leave a marriage the other believes was ok? Every once in awhile one sees comments like "I was just sick of his/her whatever" & sometimes they'll get an idea of how to pull off their "perfect murder" from having seen it on tv or read it in a book. In that manner, tv can inspire someone with perhaps a lack of creativity (whatever one would call it) to act out a secret desire. There's a strange fascination about watching that stuff on MSNBC showing people trying to hire someone for a couple hundred dollars to kill their spouse & maybe even their kids or these guys in chatrooms sending pix of their private parts to what they believe is a 13 yr old.
ANBUx3

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:00 pm Reply with quote
...How did I miss the original piece of news? Shocked

This is incredibly disturbing. It's support for China's "Death Note creates wicked hearts" policy which isn't true. The problem lies with the individual(s), who so obviously missed the whole point of Death Note.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7