• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - What Western Foods Are Popular In Japan?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Has anyone eaten KFC in Japan? Went to a brand new one in Sasebo, opposite of a Toys R Us store. They were cash only for some reason (which is why I didn't buy anything), and the chicken was scary to look at.
Desa

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Saying that KFC is an American Christmas tradition is the most brilliant lie ever told to the Japanese. Come December KFC Japan's profits must put all other restaurants to shame.

I am curious about the Japanese Denny's though. Over here the quality of various Denny's is wildly inconsistent.

BTW, has Taco Bell made any decent headway into the Japanese market? I rarely ever see depictions of tacos, chalupas, or burritos.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Desa wrote:
BTW, has Taco Bell made any decent headway into the Japanese market? I rarely ever see depictions of tacos, chalupas, or burritos.

If it has, it wasn't anywhere that I saw, and we were in a lot of "popular with foreigners" areas. I think my friend and I only spotted one or two restaurants the whole trip which even claimed to have Mexican food, and the only buffet we had the whole trip which sported such option was specifically an international buffet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Paiprince

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Being a vegan in Japan must be an ordeal with all those fauna products in almost every food made there.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Desa wrote:

If it has, it wasn't anywhere that I saw, and we were in a lot of "popular with foreigners" areas. I think my friend and I only spotted one or two restaurants the whole trip which even claimed to have Mexican food, and the only buffet we had the whole trip which sported such option was specifically an international buffet.

The first taco bell since the late 80s opened up in Shibuya less than a year ago now. Since then they have opened up a second branch at Shinbashi, and they just had a grand opening at Omotesando and Aqua City Odaiba.

Meanwhile, a Carl's Jr. opened up (similar to Taco Bell, it's their first store in Japan since the 80s) in Akihabara to much fanfare in March.
And Shake Shack opened their first shop back in Oct and their second in Ebisu in April.

A lot of American fast food is coming to Japan or back to Japan...

I've got my fingers crossed for Panera. There's still no place to get a good damn sandwich here.
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Tamago Double Mac (featuring an egg)

McD, why won't bring this to the whole world? Laughing

Anyway, reading these Japan only food makes me hungry.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:05 am Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
...Japan gets all the massive Whopper 5's and other huge burgers that really should be here. With 65% of the population of the US being overweight or obese, the market for those novelties exists here.
Don't say that too loudly, it might happen! Also, the Japanese Ministry of Health isn't too keen on McD's and the rest for things like that and articles have blamed them on a huge (percentage) rise in obesity in the last 20 years and related health issues among the 15-30 year set. My personal theory as why these places are popular when there is such societal pressure on staying thin (young women especially, they can be kept back a grade if their physical exams show year-on-year "overweight") or at least not over-eating ("80% full is enough" is a maxim) is that the "one person, one bento" rule doesn't apply because foreign food can't be considered as a bento. I was also taken aback by the Denny's comment, the food is passable to good and inexpensive and maybe someone didn't get the memo, but Dennys is more than 50% "non-white" these days.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:32 am Reply with quote
As a food otaku, the number of people in this thread that consider American Denny's to be acceptable eating makes me sad.
GVman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:45 am Reply with quote
Denny's certainly isn't my first choice for breakfast (that'd be Waffle House or some local greasy spoon), but it's still good. Besides, I've heard you speak positively about Little Caesar's before on one of the ANNcast. If that qualifies as alright pizza to you, then I definitely don't understand your qualms with Denny's, unless the only ones you've ever eaten at were shitty; that certainly is a possibility.

Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
(young women especially, they can be kept back a grade if their physical exams show year-on-year "overweight")

Can I get a source on this?
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:13 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
The first taco bell since the late 80s opened up in Shibuya less than a year ago now. Since then they have opened up a second branch at Shinbashi, and they just had a grand opening at Omotesando and Aqua City Odaiba.

Hmmm, we were at the shopping mall adjacent to Aqua City (that's the one with the big sphere in it, right?), so we must have just missed it.

Quote:
Meanwhile, a Carl's Jr. opened up (similar to Taco Bell, it's their first store in Japan since the 80s) in Akihabara to much fanfare in March.

That we did see, although we didn't check it out because we were distracted by the maid cafes. Wink

jsevakis wrote:
As a food otaku, the number of people in this thread that consider American Denny's to be acceptable eating makes me sad.

Hey, they have great nachos! (And I'm actually not joking about this. I was surprised, too, when I first tried them.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:52 am Reply with quote
All this talk about Japanese take on American food reminds me of the episode where the Simpsons go to Japan and eat at America town although I still would like to try some of them. Also I've never eaten at Denny's I don't even think that one exists where I live instead we have Bob Evan's and Perkins which are both great by the way. Smile
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:24 am Reply with quote
You know now that I think about it, why do some people in Japan consider cheese as a novelty food? I remember seeing an author's note in Viz's Shonen Jump where Tite Kubo (author of Bleach) talked excitedly about eating cheese. What's the big deal here? There is cheese in their cheeseburgers, in their pizza, in their sandwiches, and in some cases, in their pasta.

Or is this concept they simply call "cheese" something more specific?

Fenrin wrote:
Why all the judgement? People enjoy different things. This is the first I'm hearing of hate on Denny's, I think it's fine, I love their hashbrown and tweets.

Don't worry, I enjoy going to Denny's too. I like that they're open 24 hours and have lower prices than most of their competitors (though I live in Norms territory, which is also open 24 hours and can outdo Denny's in both price and quality, but there are way fewer of them).

TarsTarkas wrote:
The thing about hamburger/salisbury steaks is that they don't cook it as much as we do in the west. If you like your stuff rare you won't have a problem.

Yeah, I've heard it being an issue when Americans hang out with Japanese in shabu-shabu restaurants (where they give you raw meat and you cook it at your table's grill). They say that people in Japan most commonly eat their meat pretty rare compared to your typical American, though on the flip side, they are just as bewildered at how long said typical Americans leave their meat on there.

Animechic420 wrote:
Denny's used to be very racial back in the day. Most people wouldn't want to go there not because of how bad the food is, but because they just don't want to deal with those situations, if they were to occur again. Neutral

Oh yes, I remember that. For that reason, my father refused to eat at Denny's. The one time he decided to go, they gave us their menus and left us sitting there. Any time we'd call someone over, they said they'd be there in a bit or they'll ask someone else to come over, but they never did. After 45 minutes without anyone coming over to take our orders, my father had enough and walked out.

More recently, I've gone to Denny's on my own or with other people, and I haven't had problems like that. With a PR nightmare like that, I think any sane company head would make sure such an issue will never happen again.

Key wrote:
One of the yummiest things I found over there was at an Auntie Anne's
Pretzels store (a fairly common American chain) in a mall in Odaiba, by the giant Gundam statue. Don't remember what they were called, exactly, but they were soft, warm pretzel sticks filled with strawberry and cream cheese. Don't think I've seen those in the States, though I also don't frequent Auntie Anne's over here, either.

Basically, if you like strawberry or peach flavoring, the whole nation is heaven. The one thing I didn't get, though, was a fascination with condensed milk-flavored ice creams.

While I have never seen filled pretzels at domestic Auntie Anne's, strawberry and cream cheese are both available as dips at the locations around here.

Desa wrote:

I mentioned it before, but I think it's worth mentioning again: Eiichiro Oda, author of One Piece, loves them. He camped out the opening of a Taco Bell within walking distance of Shueisha and talks about Tex-Mex food every now and then in interviews and events.

That being said, Oda is one of the manga authors most in tune with western culture and preferring it over his own country's, right up there with Hirohiko Araki.

GVman wrote:
Denny's certainly isn't my first choice for breakfast (that'd be Waffle House or some local greasy spoon), but it's still good. Besides, I've heard you speak positively about Little Caesar's before on one of the ANNcast. If that qualifies as alright pizza to you, then I definitely don't understand your qualms with Denny's, unless the only ones you've ever eaten at were shitty; that certainly is a possibility.

Little Caesar's is unparalleled if you suddenly need to feed a large amount of people, considering the Hot-N-Ready pizzas cost half as much as the ones from Costco. They are the preferred pizza at a lot of different places I've been, including at my workplace. (Though one of them who frequently buys food prefers the Domino's 7-7-7 deal.)

That being said, if your group is truly massive and there is a Big Mama's & Papa's Pizzeria nearby, the Big Papa Pizza, per square inch, is comparable in price to the Little Caesar's Hot-N-Ready. Of course, it's 36 inches in diameter (93 centimeters), so transporting it will be difficult if you don't want to deal with delivery.
Sparvid

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:37 am Reply with quote
Speaking of McDonald's origins, there's currently a menu available with two types of burgers as they (supposedly?) were made at the American and Japanese franchise debut respectively: http://www.mcdonalds.co.jp/campaign/1955smokyamerica_1971aburishoyujapan/index.html
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:43 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:

I am curious now. A cursory search suggests that Denny's is at least an ostensibly respectable family restaurant chain. Have I been sorely mislead?

Key wrote:
Pretty sure that it was cooked differently, as it was cooked clear through but much juicier. Probably something similar to how they cook bacon (they boil it, it seemed?), I imagine.

Boiled hamburgers, you say? Surely that would be a waste of meat—the absence of char would rob the patties of much of their flavour. You may as well make "steamed hams"...
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:02 am Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
I am curious now. A cursory search suggests that Denny's is at least an ostensibly respectable family restaurant chain. Have I been sorely mislead?

Denny's was hit by a racism scandal sometime in the 90's, in which white people were given preferential treatment over other races, both as customers and as employees. This incident made the rounds on the national news, and Denny's reputation was hit very hard, and they're only still recovering to this day. My father noted that afterwards, African-Americans showed up a lot on their TV commercials and as narrators.

I was a little kid during then, so my memory of it is very hazy and distorted due to my limited understanding of the world, and I may have gotten some of the facts wrong.

Denny's is at least big enough to own El Pollo Loco in the United States though. (El Pollo Loco is a Mexican grilled chicken chain. Very popular here in the southwest. Outside of the USA, El Pollo Loco is its own company.)

Zin5ki wrote:
Boiled hamburgers, you say? Surely that would be a waste of meat—the absence of char would rob the patties of much of their flavour. You may as well make "steamed hams"...

Don't you guys in London boil peas until they're mushy though?

Last edited by leafy sea dragon on Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8