• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Re:Zero -Starting Life in Another World-

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Iron Maw

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:31 am Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
whiskeyii wrote:
I'm still kind of frustrated that it was the dumb dog of all things. I mean, it fits with the timing and all that, but it doesn't strike me as being a particularly well-written twist.

It's both well-written and somewhat not well-written at the same time for me. It was well-written in the fact that it didn't come out of nowhere. The dog's bite was treated as comedy for a while, but even then, they made sure that the camera glanced at the wound it had made every single time, and often before Subaru died--the only exception being when Rem died in his place because he wasn't there. It was probably flawed, however, in how obvious it was. It's one thing to hint at something. It's another to hint at it so often or illustrate it so blatantly obvious that the audience figures it out several episodes before the reveal.
But that's just how I see it.

If the Shaman/dog's target is everyone in the household as Subaru speculated I don't think then is flawed. It was never just him who was in danger he was just first victim. We also where in the village she was bitten, but we can infer that it doesn't require interaction with kids for it to happen. As episode 9 showed, the dog isn't always with kids and so Rem could have been encountered for anywhere in the village for any number of reasons then bitten at that moment.

Hell the braided blue girl who was carrying it could even be in the whole thing.
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Iron Maw wrote:
Juno016 wrote:
whiskeyii wrote:
I'm still kind of frustrated that it was the dumb dog of all things. I mean, it fits with the timing and all that, but it doesn't strike me as being a particularly well-written twist.

It's both well-written and somewhat not well-written at the same time for me. It was well-written in the fact that it didn't come out of nowhere. The dog's bite was treated as comedy for a while, but even then, they made sure that the camera glanced at the wound it had made every single time, and often before Subaru died--the only exception being when Rem died in his place because he wasn't there. It was probably flawed, however, in how obvious it was. It's one thing to hint at something. It's another to hint at it so often or illustrate it so blatantly obvious that the audience figures it out several episodes before the reveal.
But that's just how I see it.

If the Shaman/dog's target is everyone in the household as Subaru speculated I don't think then is flawed. It was never just him who was in danger he was just first victim. We also where in the village she was bitten, but we can infer that it doesn't require interaction with kids for it to happen. As episode 9 showed, the dog isn't always with kids and so Rem could have been encountered for anywhere in the village for any number of reasons then bitten at that moment.

Hell the braided blue girl who was carrying it could even be in the whole thing.

Okay guys, did any of you stop to think that the dog is probably being controlled as well. I mean what possible reason does the dog have to go after Subaru, it's an animal, it thinks of food and how to get it, not how to plot the demise of a household. You do know that Subaru himself mentioned that it has a particular stitching on it's head, something very in-ordinary for a WILD animal. Thus, consider that the Dog is just a tool and someone else is controlling the dog.

After you do that, then think about the last girl, why was she separate from the rest of the group (with no verification of being bitten), she was the only one to successfully touch the dog without getting bit (as far as we know) and a WILD dog (a magic beast no less) came to her beckoning. These are the questions you should be concerned with.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Rinkwolf wrote:
Okay guys, did any of you stop to think that the dog is probably being controlled as well. I mean what possible reason does the dog have to go after Subaru, it's an animal, it thinks of food and how to get it, not how to plot the demise of a household.

Which is why I think that it was waiting for someone for someone to come along as a meal. What you are saying makes sense, but I am not convinced yet, it seemed to be the one who was controlling the other dogs, which would mean they were being controlled by something that was controlled by someone else. There could be the conspiracy that someone was using the dog as a vessel to kill them, although it would seem counterproductive that the house would know after one was killed, and then the villages children go missing and meet the same fate that night.

I did post a couple weeks ago that I will accuse the dog of working for the assassin to come up with a reason for how it is involved. But I think it is also likely that we will find out that this is some monster in disguise, somewhat like the other dogs but worse, the bald spot maybe being an identifier. I don't know if the last girl is involved, I thought that we saw a bite mark on her. Or maybe the dog did set up a trap upon learning it was not getting its original meal?
Calsolum

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Rinkwolf wrote:

Okay guys, did any of you stop to think that the dog is probably being controlled as well. I mean what possible reason does the dog have to go after Subaru, it's an animal, it thinks of food and how to get it, not how to plot the demise of a household. You do know that Subaru himself mentioned that it has a particular stitching on it's head, something very in-ordinary for a WILD animal. Thus, consider that the Dog is just a tool and someone else is controlling the dog.

lmao this comment made my day. jokes aside if i recall correctly its a mabeast or something so it might have more intelligence than an actual animal.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:56 am Reply with quote
You guys are also forgetting that the dog could be actually be something other than what it appears to be: a human either taking on (or trapped in) the form of an animal, for instance. After all, we have (presumably) two oni in human form, so it's hardly a stretch.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:46 pm Reply with quote
^ That's what I've been thinking, given how it glowed when commanding the beasts.
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:55 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Rinkwolf wrote:
Okay guys, did any of you stop to think that the dog is probably being controlled as well. I mean what possible reason does the dog have to go after Subaru, it's an animal, it thinks of food and how to get it, not how to plot the demise of a household.

Which is why I think that it was waiting for someone for someone to come along as a meal. What you are saying makes sense, but I am not convinced yet, it seemed to be the one who was controlling the other dogs, which would mean they were being controlled by something that was controlled by someone else. There could be the conspiracy that someone was using the dog as a vessel to kill them, although it would seem counterproductive that the house would know after one was killed, and then the villages children go missing and meet the same fate that night.

I did post a couple weeks ago that I will accuse the dog of working for the assassin to come up with a reason for how it is involved. But I think it is also likely that we will find out that this is some monster in disguise, somewhat like the other dogs but worse, the bald spot maybe being an identifier. I don't know if the last girl is involved, I thought that we saw a bite mark on her. Or maybe the dog did set up a trap upon learning it was not getting its original meal?

But you forget that the girl is the only one to successfully touch the dog without getting bit, as far as we know. Also, if the dog is a wild beast, gaining it's trust would be no easy feat, thus the barrier for the beast to enter the village must have been broken for some time so that it can enter the village long enough for the girl to gain it's trust and have the beast answer her calling. This seems very unlikely, the more likely path is that the girl already has an established relationship with the beast (which carries a lot of implications) and the fact that she wanted to show it to Subaru was not coincidence. However, it could just turn out that she is unwittingly participating in someones scheme.

All that stated, I still don't believe that the dog is acting on it's own accord, reason being is that it had that many beast at it's control, why just go after the kids, why not the whole village (barrier was down, best time to strike). Even more suspicious is the fact that the kids were dragged out into the woods and left there, as if they were lure and the last girl even more so.

Mabeast are just that beasts, so their thought process is limited. Keep in mind that the dog acted like a dog the whole time, so there isn't much reason to believe that it's anything more then that. Which poses the question how a dog could control other beasts and use earth magic. One such way is to be a vessel for someone else and the markings on the head could prove to be the source of how that could come to be.

The reason I don't think that it is officially someone else in the dog but someone acting upon it in some way is because the dog acts like a dog before the woods incident. Such actions would be hard to replicate to that degree if it was someone stuck in the dogs body, but it would be more in line if someone could use the dog when they needed too, hence the drastic difference in behavior before and after it cursed Subaru.
Juno016

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:08 am Reply with quote
Iron Maw wrote:

I was saying it felt flawed in its execution, not its reasoning. Surely, it wasn't a bad thing that we saw the bite marks on screen since that means they're not pulling the dog reveal out of thin air, but just look at how they're illustrated. They didn't look like two small puppy marks. They looked like vampire fangs had made huge holes in his hand. Then he looks at them juuuuuust before getting dizzy. The way they looked was way too suspicious to me. Which made it way too obvious.

Personally, I don't think it matters whether or not this dog has a master right now. I doubt it's someone we know. As of this moment, the dog is the mastermind, and anyone above it would have to reveal themselves later. However, there is one strange thing that I'd like to point out or ask for clarification...

In previous loops, it was Subaru's fourth day when he was bitten, and night when he died from the curse. However, he went a day early and it was on the THIRD night this loop that the dog attacked the kids, right? In previous loops, had the dog attacked the kids on the third night, they wouldn't have been there to bring to Subaru on the fourth day. That means, if it does take place on the third night, this loop has changed in more ways than one. And the only main factors that were different were: Rosewoll going out and Subaru heading to the village a day early. Could one of these have triggered the dog curse event early?

Also, what if Subaru isn't the only one with the ability to loop? What if someone is following his lead and making certain changes in each loop that are being hinted at by the other changes Subaru noticed, but never set off? They could be in charge of Subaru's looping power or be using him, or just happen to be using their own version of the power. It would certainly pull the advantage rug out from under Subaru's MC feet.
msvitch

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:35 am Reply with quote
Seriosuly this anime needs an A+, why is it always A-?
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:39 am Reply with quote
As the last episode review said, we can now lay to rest the idea that the Dragon brought Subaru into this (maybe not 100% to rest, but 99%, IMO). OTOH, we also learn that the Witch is not, herself, sending the mabeasts at Subaru. They are attracted by the scent of the witch on him, which he used to his own advantage. As I said, previously, I couldn't see any reason for the witch to attack the person she brought in to achieve a goal of hers.

But all of this has only made me even more aware of how little we know about how the world actually functions. Ram just casually mentioned that if something had happened to the village, it would've reflected badly on the lord of that village, who had not-so-coincidentally been called away just when this threat materialized. So, it may be that this whole matter with the dog biting the kids and the hole in the barrier were things already planned and that Subaru was an unexpected complication. In other words, think about what the chain of events would be, and their consequences, if Subaru were not there (which he basically wasn't in the previous loop). Instead, the discrediting of Roswall, one of the main supporters for Emilia, has been halted. Rem and Ram, presumably, will both remain alive.

In short: Emilia's claim on the throne will not now be weakened, because Subaru interfered, and this has happened *twice* now: that trinket, and now with the prevented village tragedy. Perhaps *this* is the goal that allows Subaru to move forward to a new save point.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:02 am Reply with quote
I still feel kind of... disoriented, or something, by the current half of the story. Maybe because as soon as we hit the new "save point," all the secondary characters vanished and were replaced with a whole new set. (Several of which are harem stereotypes, a character type that wasn't really present in the first half.) It's almost like we're in a completely different story, rather than a continuation of the old one. Then again, maybe that's actually true...?

The "yandere demon twins trying to kill the hero" part also seemed weird, since I never felt like there was adequate explanation for why they always suddenly killed him on the fourth day (other than because four is death). There was some vague suspicion he was a dangerous spy or something, or maybe it was the "scent of the witch," but normally you'd try intimidation or threats or whatever before ruthlessly slaughtering your lord's daughter's boyfriend. I guess now that we know they are literally demons and tend to fly into a blind murderous rage, it makes more sense, but it seemed like it was supposed to make sense even before that revelation?

Still not sure where this story is going. This whole Emilia's Wacky Castle arc feels like an overly-long diversion. Did we really need to have Subaru get cursed again?
xyz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:29 am Reply with quote
msvitch wrote:
Seriosuly this anime needs an A+, why is it always A-?

I think A- is pretty reasonable and objective. It's a decent anime but in no way perfect. I've been dying to see this arc over and was hoping this ep would be it.
Iron Maw

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:44 am Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
I still feel kind of... disoriented, or something, by the current half of the story. Maybe because as soon as we hit the new "save point," all the secondary characters vanished and were replaced with a whole new set. (Several of which are harem stereotypes, a character type that wasn't really present in the first half.) It's almost like we're in a completely different story, rather than a continuation of the old one. Then again, maybe that's actually true...?

The "yandere demon twins trying to kill the hero" part also seemed weird, since I never felt like there was adequate explanation for why they always suddenly killed him on the fourth day (other than because four is death). There was some vague suspicion he was a dangerous spy or something, or maybe it was the "scent of the witch," but normally you'd try intimidation or threats or whatever before ruthlessly slaughtering your lord's daughter's boyfriend. I guess now that we know they are literally demons and tend to fly into a blind murderous rage, it makes more sense, but it seemed like it was supposed to make sense even before that revelation?

Still not sure where this story is going. This whole Emilia's Wacky Castle arc feels like an overly-long diversion. Did we really need to have Subaru get cursed again?

First off all of those part of plot, which is about Subaru life in this world, so I don't know what you mean by diversion.

I think you need to pay more attention to what's actually going on. For one the twins (Rem, well really) do not always kill him. 2nd Rem has already explained why in the 3rd loop (she believe he's part of Witch Cult due to scent that only lose in league with a Witch gives off thus a danger to her sister and rest of household ). Third in every subsequent Subaru has always acted more and more suspicious to those around him with his conspicuous actions and foreknowledge he shouldn't have, on top of fact household is currently hosting VIP for next ruler (who nearly assassinated) who Subaru happened to meet under questionable circumstances with no background to proof who he is. The 4th loop is the only one where did come off suspect because he entirely bedridden looked like a mental patient. Lastly they aren't main antagonist for this arc, but the Shaman who set-off the chain of events by killing Subaru and then later Rem.

Nobody literally knows him up until this point so I don't know where getting the did anyone would think Subaru is close enough to be Emilia's boyfriend when he's just stranger they slowly gotten to knowing.

The twin also aren't Yandere.

Last edited by Iron Maw on Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:56 am; edited 1 time in total
myskaros

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:51 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The idea that the dragon in the land's stories, rather than the witch, may actually be responsible for Subaru's time looping seems to be shot down by the way that the smell of the witch flares up when Subaru tries to mention time loops. But what other interpretations will arise from this?

It's possible the dragon gave him the power to reset, but the witch cursed him so that he could only act alone? In a sort of "higher powers bet on the games of mortals" kind of thing.

Although I'm still going with my theory posited after last week's review ;x
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:54 am Reply with quote
I can't be the only one who noticed that the girl with the braid was the only child who didn't show up in the village.
kotomikun wrote:

The "yandere demon twins trying to kill the hero" part also seemed weird, since I never felt like there was adequate explanation for why they always suddenly killed him on the fourth day (other than because four is death).

The "yandere" (I hate that term) twins were only responsible for his deaths in the second or third loop, and even then only Rem was involved with his death in the hallway. Ram has been established as someone more willing to be friendly with Subaru and spend time with him. She obviously doesn't trust him a whole lot, but she's more willing to give him the benefit of the doubt compared to Rem, who would much rather kill him as soon as possible than take any chances; the only reason she doesn't is that Roswaal ordered them to take a wait-and-see approach before doing anything. She's more timid and cautious, and prefers to avoid much contact with him, but not to the point where he thinks something is up.

As for why, it has nothing to do with it being on the fourth day or whatever. Subaru unintentionally establishes himself as a threat to them those two times.

In the second loop, he leaves his room and heads to Emilia's room in the middle of the night, walking in a very slow and careful manner as if he's trying to be as silent as possible (in reality he was sick as a dog, but Rem didn't know that).

In the third loop, contrary to his claims of leaving the mansion, he instead hides outside and stakes the mansion out, with a good view of Emilia's room, while holding a weapon.

Rem would've probably killed him much earlier just with all the circumstantial evidence if Roswaal hadn't told her otherwise. Seeing Subaru actually doing something that could very easily be interpreted the wrong way is what gives her a justified reason.

The irony is that Subaru's actions of trying to prevent himself and the others from being killed in those loops is what causes that specific killer to act.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 13 of 73