• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fudanshi Kōkō Seikatsu Comedy Manga About Male Yaoi Fan Gets TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cetais

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Nacirema wrote:
Sobe wrote:
AHAHAHA LOL! Finally! Maybe one day we'll finally get bara anime too.

I'm no expert on bara manga but the reason why there been none bara anime is probably economical. I remember reading a yahoo answer post a while back that go in on why there isn't any bara anime. Manga sales going to have a effect on the chances of a anime is going to be made, so if the sales are low, then the chances of a anime going to be made is low. Of course if there a increase in bara manga sales, then that will lead to a increase chance that bara anime will be made. Unfortunately for bara, it is dwarfed by the yaoi, and a lot of it is getting pirated, especially from the West. Really, even if piracy is reduced in the West, since the West doesn't account for a large percentage as Japan, any effect going to be big.

Still, even an Otouto no Otto anime would be nice.
Gay

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:24 pm Reply with quote
ahah, this looks like it's gonna be hilarious! Can't wait
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:46 pm Reply with quote
And lo, the male fundashi crowd finally have a representative!

Highly looking forward to it but, I hope this won't be making nasty jabs at guys who like reading about guys who like guys. If it's less Watamote (which I love) and more Genshiken or Otomen, then I'll enjoy it.

Quote:
Tatsuhisa Suzuki as Yūjirō Shiratori, Sakaguchi's gay friend

Whos, an actually confirmed gay character in a series about boy love manga!! I pray they don't make him into a flaming queen. I'm sure the manga fans will inform me but, just for once, don't use that awful stereotype ! ;__;
Cielito_Lindo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:58 pm Reply with quote
This will be great, and with that cast we'll have hilarity for sure haha
VoidWitch

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Looks like a lot of fun! Going to check out the manga too Cool
lebrel

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Cetais wrote:
Still, even an Otouto no Otto anime would be nice.

That might actually have a (very small) chance, since Otouto no Otto is not technically gei comi, it's a mainstream seinen series (and clearly aimed at clueless straights).

Also, everybody, call it gei comi or gay manga or something; the term "bara" is considered fairly offensive by gei comi creators (just as "yaoi" is considered offensive by BL creators, and "hentai" is considered offensive by eromanga creators...). It literally means "rose" and I've heard it compared to "pansy" in connotation.

keichitsu0305 wrote:
Whos, an actually confirmed gay character in a series about boy love manga!! I pray they don't make him into a flaming queen. I'm sure the manga fans will inform me but, just for once, don't use that awful stereotype ! ;__;

Since it is a female-targeted work, and one with a fairly strong BL-leaning fanbase (it runs in a digital offshoot of the Zero Sum family), I think that is unlikely. The okama type usually shows up in male-targeted works.
kaorv

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:51 pm Reply with quote
I checked this out after Miles posted that picture of the add for the manga. I LOVE the art! The anime art isn't as up to snuff, but i would've expected that if I had thought this'd get adapted at all lol. Fudanshi representation Twisted Evil

Also, the gay guy is an okama, but I personally think he's written just as human as everyone else and that he just happens to like okama things.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Yesss! I'm hoping someone will license the manga. I'd love to read it.
lebrel

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:55 pm Reply with quote
kaorv wrote:
Also, the gay guy is an okama, but I personally think he's written just as human as everyone else and that he just happens to like okama things.

I was not happy to hear that, so I went and took a look.... The gay character is good-looking and autocratic and likes to cook in a frilly apron; the story and other characters call him an okama constantly but he seems to be built on a mash-up of the "snobbish popular guy with self-proclaimed servant", "hot sexually-harassing gay dude" and "Otomen-type guy with remarkable domestic skills" character types, which makes him kind of a weird character. At least he's not campy....

Edit: I should point out that everyone on the cast is played for broad comedy, except the one "normal guy", who is the tsukkomi to everybody else's boke...
xyz

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:29 pm Reply with quote
I like what I see. It looks like Summer may even be better than Spring after all. (And I was so looking forward to Spring as well.) Will see what happens.
Nacirema

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:37 pm Reply with quote
lebrel wrote:
Also, everybody, call it gei comi or gay manga or something; the term "bara" is considered fairly offensive by gei comi creators (just as "yaoi" is considered offensive by BL creators, and "hentai" is considered offensive by eromanga creators...). It literally means "rose" and I've heard it compared to "pansy" in connotation.

I heard about that before. The folks behind the Massive book avoid using bara due to that. Using gay manga have some drawbacks because it sound like a catch-all term for any manga that have gay sex/males in it. If you google "gay manga," the first few links are from a certain scanlation site that run the gamut, pretty much including anything whether it furry, yaoi, etc.
lebrel

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Nacirema wrote:
I heard about that before. The folks behind the Massive book avoid using bara due to that. Using gay manga have some drawbacks because it sound like a catch-all term for any manga that have gay sex/males in it. If you google "gay manga," the first few links are from a certain scanlation site that run the gamut, pretty much including anything whether it furry, yaoi, etc.

"Gei comi" works; it pretty much only returns links about gei comi. And there is a fair amount of furry gei comi out there...
Nacirema

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:43 pm Reply with quote
lebrel wrote:
Nacirema wrote:

"Gei comi" works; it pretty much only returns links about gei comi. And there is a fair amount of furry gei comi out there...

Gei comi is definitely more specific. I am not a big fan of the genre so I am not as invested in the other term as people in the fandom is. There definitely a attachment toward using the old term to refer to the genre, and it going to be a uphill battle trying to replace it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2