• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ohio Middle School Suspends Girl After Finding 'Death List' Based on Death Note

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StaticLord

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:20 am Reply with quote
Stupid. So what if he has a death list? Better vent your anger like that than really kill or beat someone up.
Catsplay

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:30 am Reply with quote
I can name quite a few individuals that shouldn't be allowed to breath air, but just because I vent about them or write their names down somewhere doesn't mean I'm going to act on those thoughts. It's the same thing as thinking about something but not doing it.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:30 am Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
While I agree that bringing a 'Death Note' to school with fellow student names in it, I would much rather her take out her aggression by writing down names instead of acting upon it.

The problem is, the school has no way of telling whether a student is doing it as a substitute for aggression, or as a preliminary to a violent act.

Saffire wrote:
The live-action? The fact that it will never be on American TV has nothing to do with the content, live-action dramas never make it here.

It might happen in Hawaii or San Francisco, but only on some obscure UHF station that caters to the local immigrant community, and the odds of them picking Death Note out of all the J-dramas out there are pretty slim.
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:32 am Reply with quote
Reading the sources as well, I feel that the school took the appropriate steps, especially considering what the student did after she got in trouble.

1) Most middle schools are somewhere in the 6-9th grade range. This would place most students at ages 11-15 range (most commonly 12-14). The manga is rated 16+, and the anime is rated 15+. While I have no problem with the girl watching the series, if her parents allow it, it's not appropriate for a school where at most (if not all) of the students are under the age rating.

2) The girl did not get in trouble for having it. She got in trouble for "inciting panic," which is what any school administrator should feel if they randomly find a book listed as a "Death List" that contained students' names in it. Yes, after it was explained, the school understood what it was, but it still caused a panic, because it's not something appropriate for at school (you'll note that none of the other students who stated that they had them at home got in trouble).

3) The girl (from the source) was explicitly told not to speak to anyone regarding the incident. Her response was to vent to another student, who was on the list, and hadn't known that. The other student got scared, and his parents were upset over this.

4) The school (again, from the source) issued a statement that they're looking at the incident and what can be learned from it, and are going to be educating both parents and students on what the show is about, and what is and isn't appropriate for school.

The school took the appropriate steps. She left something that could easily be misconstrued laying around, got in trouble for panicking people with it, and then went around and vented to people after being told not to discuss it with anyone. And now the school is going to educate people on what is and isn't appropriate, to avoid panic in the future.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:33 am Reply with quote
Cant these little jerks learn anything from watching Death Note leave your note book at home
FloozyGod

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:38 am Reply with quote
I can see if she wanted to vent at home or something, by writing their names in the note, but why bring it to school? If you need to go public with your bully issues, go to a councilor, or stand up to them in person. This person obviously was trying to be edgy and scare the students. Keep that sick shit to yourself.
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:36 am Reply with quote
FloozyGod wrote:
I can see if she wanted to vent at home or something, by writing their names in the note, but why bring it to school? If you need to go public with your bully issues, go to a councilor, or stand up to them in person. This person obviously was trying to be edgy and scare the students. Keep that sick shit to yourself.

Please re-read the article. The school was having a "Fandom Day." They were supposed to dress up as their favorite characters. She wasn't "venting," she wasn't "bullying." She was dressing up as Light, and wrote down some classmates names in the book to be in character.
Moles770

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:52 am Reply with quote
You would think that kids that have these Death Notes because of the show/ manga would take more care to not only never bring it to school but to hide it with such great care. For as I remember Light hid his in a false bottom of a drawer that would set the desk on fire if opened by any other way then the pen refill being poked through the tiny hole in the bottom of the drawer to lift the false bottom and keep the circuit from sparking.

This is the same kind of crap like "Video games make kids violent" cut the shit, stupid people are stupid, and crazy people are crazy regardless.
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:56 am Reply with quote
The US education system ladies and gentlemen, over reacting to things that would normally not even be blips on the radar. I could understand concern, but if this was for a "fandom day" then the reaction was nonsensical. Laughing This is right up there with learning more world history from Spike TV's Deadliest Warrior and learning more about human anatomy from Gelbooru than biology class to my "reasons US schools need reform" list.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Yet another harmless teenager who gets punished because of the overreaction from adults. The offence was "inducing panic", yet she never intended harm and didn't actually induce any panic except in people who are clearly paranoid to the point of stupidity.

Getting suspended over such a harmless incident is an outrage and I pray she faces no further repercussions for this debacle.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
Reading the sources as well, I feel that the school took the appropriate steps, especially considering what the student did after she got in trouble.

1) Most middle schools are somewhere in the 6-9th grade range. This would place most students at ages 11-15 range (most commonly 12-14). The manga is rated 16+, and the anime is rated 15+. While I have no problem with the girl watching the series, if her parents allow it, it's not appropriate for a school where at most (if not all) of the students are under the age rating.

2) The girl did not get in trouble for having it. She got in trouble for "inciting panic," which is what any school administrator should feel if they randomly find a book listed as a "Death List" that contained students' names in it. Yes, after it was explained, the school understood what it was, but it still caused a panic, because it's not something appropriate for at school (you'll note that none of the other students who stated that they had them at home got in trouble).

3) The girl (from the source) was explicitly told not to speak to anyone regarding the incident. Her response was to vent to another student, who was on the list, and hadn't known that. The other student got scared, and his parents were upset over this.

4) The school (again, from the source) issued a statement that they're looking at the incident and what can be learned from it, and are going to be educating both parents and students on what the show is about, and what is and isn't appropriate for school.

The school took the appropriate steps. She left something that could easily be misconstrued laying around, got in trouble for panicking people with it, and then went around and vented to people after being told not to discuss it with anyone. And now the school is going to educate people on what is and isn't appropriate, to avoid panic in the future.

I agree that she was far too young to be watching the anime, and Death Note has never been a particularly school freindly anime that you can easily explain without it looking like it's "real".
razisgosu

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Ridiculous. There was obviously no harm in this.
Renasviel

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Eh, this seems a bit stupid tbh. If it was just for a prop and the students whose names were written didn't really mind, I don't see why someone has to be suspended for it. Not causing any harm, is it?
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Thought crime on display, yet again. Reading about people being punished for this sort of thing is just depressing.
bones2039

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:33 pm Reply with quote
I really think the school handled this the best way they could. They didn't really over react if you ask me. Its a 3 day in school suspension. With schools and parents being extremely sensitive due to things like school shootings this seems pretty mild.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4