• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: BBK/BRNK

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Yeah any action scene with Shizuru is amazing. Much more creative fighting style than you usually see in anime. Kinda took out the news guys quick but I can see why they were there. They needed enemies to develop and bounce back after their defeat but since they couldn't beat Reoko or the Buraki so two bubuki teams without their buranki fit the bill nicely. I think this isn't the last we'll see of them though.

On Chaos Dragon, it's less what the fudge and more why the fudge. The developments weren't too difficult to predict, just some I question why they went that way, especially the end. So freakin awful. Would have mentioned in the worst ending thread but then I remembered Oreimo. Good show, almost criminally bad ending.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:39 pm Reply with quote
I think any time Shizuru is referred to as a stone or a rock, it's the same as saying she's cold, hard, unfeeling. Which, while she was almost robotically stoic in her fight with Tsuwabuki, and her seeming lack of concern for her allies' safety during that fight was a bit worrying, isn't quite true. She's definitely abnormal, but not in a bad way.

I'm guessing she was taught to be an assassin by Tsuwabuki just like the twins (Can't imagine why else he'd be their "Sensei").

I feel I can call Azuma by his name now instead of just calling him MC-kun. This episode won me over to him.

I'm very relieved this is turning out to be a split cour show. When they introduced a bunch of characters out of nowhere, I was kind of expecting a trainwreck ending. Glad there's more.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:15 am Reply with quote
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:
I think any time Shizuru is referred to as a stone or a rock, it's the same as saying she's cold, hard, unfeeling. Which, while she was almost robotically stoic in her fight with Tsuwabuki, and her seeming lack of concern for her allies' safety during that fight was a bit worrying, isn't quite true. She's definitely abnormal, but not in a bad way.

All evidence points to at least on some level being a savant, she is not like other people, but she takes some pride in it for being special. While some would think being called a rock is bad, to her she does not want to be like everyone else, a human, she instead wants to be a gem. Thinking that she had become like everyone else kind of broke her down, but being told she was special, even in a way that two enemies thought was bad, was enough to come back and say that she can make herself shine more.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:19 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:

All evidence points to at least on some level being a savant, she is not like other people, but she takes some pride in it for being special. While some would think being called a rock is bad, to her she does not want to be like everyone else, a human, she instead wants to be a gem. Thinking that she had become like everyone else kind of broke her down, but being told she was special, even in a way that two enemies thought was bad, was enough to come back and say that she can make herself shine more.

Ah thanks, I had a feeling I was greatly misinterpreting things. Laughing
danpmss

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:47 am Reply with quote
"I'm a stone!" *proceeds to kick ass*

It's a worse line than "I hate sand (...)" in "Star Wars - Episode 2" LOL

What were they thinking when they wrote that whole scene anyway :v

Love the character presentation of the american guy tho (that part we catch a glimpse of his memories Ajin-style). Cliche, but very effective, I must say.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Good to see continued improvement in the story and I too am liking Espio and Team USA. It seemed a little clunky that suddenly they have to "break the heart" without explanation though. Who knew they were like Babushka dolls? A lingering question I've had is, if Buranki need five members to operate at full potential/power and Migiwa was said to have used Oubu to defeat Entei, then where are her other four comrades? Maybe Hiiragi's dad was one? Yes, I know one who will counter that it only takes a heart-user to operate a Buranki, but it seems that Entei even with limbs and only a heart is no match for Oubu. Guess we'll see eventually, but it seems an interesting plot development if it gets explored. Also, what is with the wooden ship hull in the background on Treasure Island I see for the second time now? Don't tell me they are going to try to say that Robert Lewis Stevenson was a mariner of the 18'th century that got transported there??
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
Good to see continued improvement in the story and I too am liking Espio and Team USA. It seemed a little clunky that suddenly they have to "break the heart" without explanation though. Who knew they were like Babushka dolls? A lingering question I've had is, if Buranki need five members to operate at full potential/power and Migiwa was said to have used Oubu to defeat Entei, then where are her other four comrades? Maybe Hiiragi's dad was one? Yes, I know one who will counter that it only takes a heart-user to operate a Buranki, but it seems that Entei even with limbs and only a heart is no match for Oubu. Guess we'll see eventually, but it seems an interesting plot development if it gets explored. Also, what is with the wooden ship hull in the background on Treasure Island I see for the second time now? Don't tell me they are going to try to say that Robert Lewis Stevenson was a mariner of the 18'th century that got transported there??

Her other comrades are the parents of each of Azuma's comrades. As far as I can tell they are Hiiragi's dad, Kogane's dad, Kinoa's mom(?), not sure which parent Shizuru got it from. Kogane's dad is dead, but I don't know how the other three are at this time. I don't know if the state has much interest in them at this point as they have already passed down their bubuki.

They're going to be in for some trouble next week, spoiler[as I don't think the buranki will be too pleased with them trashing their home and killing some of their buddies.]
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:14 am Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
... A lingering question I've had is, if Buranki need five members to operate at full potential/power and Migiwa was said to have used Oubu to defeat Entei, then where are her other four comrades? Maybe Hiiragi's dad was one? ...
Her other comrades are the parents of each of Azuma's comrades. As far as I can tell they are Hiiragi's dad, Kogane's dad, Kinoa's mom(?), not sure which parent Shizuru got it from. Kogane's dad is dead, but I don't know how the other three are at this time...
OK, then the next phase of the story isn't hard to guess, forget Bubuki Battle it's spoiler[Bubuki War! I wonder if we'll eventually see a German team join in and make it a World War, though we probably won't see a French Bubuki, they'll just be sitting it out to protest...Will it "wake up" the Island too and have it call in the aliens that sent it to Earth?]have to wait and see :3
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:21 pm Reply with quote
I'm very relieved this is turning out to be a split cour show. When they introduced a bunch of characters out of nowhere, I was kind of expecting a trainwreck ending. Glad there's more.

Yup, when they added the new characters I took it as confirmation the 24 eps split cour thing would be accurate Smile It's good to see that this is getting the time it needs.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:56 am Reply with quote
Wow, I'm not sure if I should cheer that the story has just gotten interesting on several fronts (if cliche') or "boo" that the writers sprung all this on (us) viewers at once instead of integrating it more into previous episodes. Talk about "sympathy for the devil", Reoko-sama's story finally gets some quality time...Still, good to see the characters get some depth.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:10 am Reply with quote
Good review of a good episode. It was particularly good that we got some complexity of not making things black or white in terms of Reoko. And I too noted the interesting part of separating the twins who had been up to now shown as interchangeable with each other.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Agreed, really great episode with a lot of interesting and emotional stuff to it.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:36 am Reply with quote
Welcomed back everyone to another thrill-packed season of BBK/BRNK! Well, maybe next week, this show seems only intent on comedy, boobs and introductions. Confused I'll say the Russian buranki seems large and "ornate" though...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4