• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
7 Original Pokemon Rumors Unmasked

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Down-B? Who'd ever believe in such rubbish?

Obviously, you have to push the A button and curl your toes in time with the wiggles.
Cetais

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:58 pm Reply with quote
This winter, at AGDQ 2016, there was a Pokémon GEN 1 Glitch Showcase, where the player ACTUALLY used Strength on the truck to battle Mew.
With lots and lots of glitches uses, it's possible Razz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdONqHXtL1c
TheFullmetalOne

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:00 pm Reply with quote
LokiReed wrote:
And Ditto being a failed clone of Mew still makes perfect sense to me, they forgot to mention both Ditto and Mew are the only two pokemon that can learn transform naturally.

That actually occured to me after reading the article, but you beat me to the punch. Laughing Though I have to wonder, if Mewtwo is an enhanced clone of Mew, why can't Mewtwo use Transform? A little off topic, but with the monthly Legendary give away, why not have the gift Pokemon start out at level 5 instead of level 100? Especially Mew, since it only had one move for being at such a high level.
Joe Carpenter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Man, that Lavender Town Syndrome story scared the crap out of me, even though I knew it was just a creepypasta story. Razz
Valhern

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:31 pm Reply with quote
I'd like to know if East Tokyo United managed rank 19 because of votes (I know I voted it) or it's a tie in the last places. Though, I'm happy more voted for Chihayafuru's Mizusawa.

By the way, I literally didn't know about Ditto being a failed Mew clone, but it's a pretty good idea. Probably better than Gengar being a cursed Clefairy or Cubone being a little Khangaskhan whose mom died.
Freyanne

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Haha, I have to admit that when it comes to Pokemon related things, I nowadays tend to associate "Down B" with Smash Bros, even though I was a firm believer of that working in RBY.
I always liked the Mew/Ditto theory, even if it isnt true. It makes sense to me. The Lavender Town one never freaked me out.

Dessa wrote:

As an interesting aside, speaking of "Pikachu's Summer Vacation," in the scene when they're trying to pull Charizard out, they forgot to remove Cubone's Japanese voice, so you can hear him saying "kara" (Karakara is Cubone's Japanese name). You can also hear Squirtle saying "zeni zeni ga me" (Zenigami is Squirtle's Japanese name) in the episode where Ash races on the Rapidash.

I wanan say in that same episode involving Rapidash, during the scene at the festival/celebration/something-like-that , you can actually hear one of the JPN ending songs playing in the background, but turned way down (you can hear the singer singing in Japanese). I wanna say it was the song "Pokemon Ondo"?

Cetais wrote:
This winter, at AGDQ 2016, there was a Pokémon GEN 1 Glitch Showcase, where the player ACTUALLY used Strength on the truck to battle Mew.
With lots and lots of glitches uses, it's possible Razz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdONqHXtL1c

I was hoping someone would mention this. That was one of the best moments that happened during the AGDQ run this year (So mad I missed the Glitch Showcase during the live Twitch stream). The audience reaction was priceless.

Last edited by Freyanne on Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:21 pm Reply with quote
I was never frightened by Lavender Town's music, but I am fascinated by its bass. Very haunting, yet very bright. Smile
harminia

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:34 pm Reply with quote
You... You mean pressing A/B+Down/Up does nothing? Mad
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Oh yeah, I almost forgot about the most pervasive rumor of all: That the video games were adapted from the anime, and that all fans of Pokémon must be fans of the anime. No, wait, that's a misconception.

TheFullmetalOne wrote:
That actually occured to me after reading the article, but you beat me to the punch. Laughing Though I have to wonder, if Mewtwo is an enhanced clone of Mew, why can't Mewtwo use Transform? A little off topic, but with the monthly Legendary give away, why not have the gift Pokemon start out at level 5 instead of level 100? Especially Mew, since it only had one move for being at such a high level.

Mewtwo can't learn Transform because Mewtwo is an imperfect clone of Mew. Or, I guess, an attempted improved form of Mewtwo (and, competitively in the video games, they succeeded). Mewtwo doesn't need Transform anyway.
Apashi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Wow, this article gave me even more nostalgia than all the posts during the 20th anniversary! I guess it's because I haven't heard some of these in so many years. Really, Pikablu, that takes me back. It makes me remember how into Pokemon I once was. My friend and I would play Pokemon games at recess and we used to call Ho-oh "La-la" too before the first movie came out. That might have been just something we made up though xD
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:36 pm Reply with quote
I remember most of these. And I remember when Marril first showed up. I remember how foreign that design felt, and then designs like the line that led up to Ampharos showed up, too, IIRC. I remember the particular 'look' they all had, that made them feel fake, even though they were real.

Lol. The rumor I remember the most that I didn't see mentioned here (I don't know if it was widespread) was that the grass outside of Route 1 contained wild Bulbasaurs, Charmanders, and Squirtles, and one could get over there by digging in a certain spot of Diglett cave.

...Sounds very ridiculous, now. But I was in fifth grade, so give me a break! lol
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:38 pm Reply with quote
In the remakes, you also don't get a cookie for going to the truck, but you do get a cookie. I am subscribed to at least 2 Pokémon YouTubers, with the TheJWitz and TamashiiHiroka who discuss things like this.

I still like the Ditto theory.
FireballDragon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Man, I remember the Down+B thing, the car, Marill being called Pikablu...

You know, fun fact; when I read Lapras's Pokédex entry, I had no idea what a "ferry" was. I tried asking about it to a friends and a teacher, and my friend thought I meant "fairy." But my teacher did clarify that "ferry" basically meant "boat".

As for the 3 Spring anime series I'm excited for, they are;

1. Ace Attorney - Honestly, it's about time these games got an anime! The games are almost like playing a story arc of Detective Conan, in a way! Eren/Speed-o'-Sound Sonic's VA is voicing Phoenix, so that's cool, but the animation itself looks shoddy. Still gonna watch it as per my obligation as an AA fan.

2. My Hero Academia - I was a little iffy when first reading the manga, but now I GOTTA HAVE MORE OF THIS. It seemed a little too Western for my tastes, but once I realized that was the point, I embraced it with open arms. Almost seems like Viewtiful Joe in a way! I dunno, I never played those games, but it seems like it though, doesn't it?

3. Bakuon!! - SCHOOL GIRLS ON MOTORCYCLES. 'Nuff said.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:37 am Reply with quote
I've never heard any of those rumors about the original pokemon before but I do have a theory about one of the original characters,Misty. I've often thought she had a crush on Ash but he was too dense and/or too focused on his dream of becoming a pokemon master to notice. It's a shame they won't let her come back to the show. It'd be interesting to see whether my theory is proved right or wrong.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:24 am Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
I've never heard any of those rumors about the original pokemon before but I do have a theory about one of the original characters,Misty. I've often thought she had a crush on Ash but he was too dense and/or too focused on his dream of becoming a pokemon master to notice. It's a shame they won't let her come back to the show. It'd be interesting to see whether my theory is proved right or wrong.

All the old quotes from the series and movies where characters say things like Misty fighting with Ash being indicative that she cared about him a lot and her being jealous when another girl show interesting in him, is only enough to make it a theory?

Most of the rumours in the article are to do with the old games (Red, Blue and Yellow), and if you were involved with the game and went to Primary school during that time, you had heard some of these rumours about the game. "Pikablue" was even a bit of a big deal that the card game made mistakes with poor translation, which I guess persisted until release of the movie in the west where it was revealed that it was "Maril"

Theories were even helped by things like the Missingno glitch that revealed that far fetched rumours could be true. I can recall a friend and I messing around and totally surprised when somehow Missingno turned into Kangaskhan. If you were able to get access to internet you would find a bunch of really odd rumours, and then you get these spreading across the child demographic.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4