• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tokyopop Briefly Reposted Subtitled Angel's Egg Video

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CatSword

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:41 am Reply with quote
That might not have been the only fansub they had up. Tokyopop TV's upload of "You're Being Summoned" posted on their Twitter on March 6th was taken down by Kodansha.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:42 am Reply with quote
Brand wrote:
Fansubs hardsub the text in making the karaoke much easier to do (like you can't remove the subs).

No they don't. Karaoke subs are handled the same way as regular dialogue. It's more time consuming because the person coding the subs has to sync every word to the lyrics, and that has nothing to do with whether it's hard or soft subbed.
Brand

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:40 am Reply with quote
Utsuro no Hako wrote:
Brand wrote:
Fansubs hardsub the text in making the karaoke much easier to do (like you can't remove the subs).

No they don't. Karaoke subs are handled the same way as regular dialogue. It's more time consuming because the person coding the subs has to sync every word to the lyrics, and that has nothing to do with whether it's hard or soft subbed.

Fair enough, I have never seen that done with soft subs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:06 am Reply with quote
Brand wrote:
Utsuro no Hako wrote:
Brand wrote:

Fair enough, I have never seen that done with soft subs.

It's not that it can't be done with softsubs, in theory, but most soft subtitle playback software cannot handle the subtitle effect animation, or cannot handle it properly in real time.

Also, a lot of the better karaoke-style subtitles are done using software like after effects and rendered. You can only do very simple karaoke style in soft subtitles effectively (like, a simple color change or color change sweep effect). It's not really possible to do it using DVD or Bluray subtitles with the usual software tools that are available. I think there are specialty tricks you can do to get something close on DVD, and on Bluray you could do nearly anything with menus and the full java scripting machinery, but it would be hard.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:23 am Reply with quote
I remember this film. Folks said it was depressingly slow and boring. But again it's a classic in it's own right. If this gets released finally I'm going to have to check it out.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:56 am Reply with quote
I can't be the only person who would love to see Stu Levy, John Sirabella, and Henry Goto in a gladiatorial three man fight to the death, can I? Laughing
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:59 am Reply with quote
If he was a fan of Angel's Egg, he would have known that is doesn't have an official subtitled release in the United States. That any version that may have been seen at random conventions of old and found online during the 1990s up till today are all fansub distributes.

I mean, there is minimal dialog in the film as it is; its something more metaphorical and symbolical than something you understand with dialog.

But still, you think someone who was in his position as the head of a company dealing in the business with Japanese animation/manga he would know this.

This is really one of of the films that Discotek needs to get hold of. It's an older film that needs to be released to add to collects of fans of older and more obscure films.
WingKing

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:05 pm Reply with quote
I reviewed this movie for a MAL fangroup that I belong to several months ago (and I saw that Nick Creamer also recently reviewed it over on his blog). It's very good, and visually the artwork is phenomenal, especially the backgrounds and cityscapes. The art director for this movie was Yoshitaka Amano, who was the original character for the Final Fantasy games, and the principal background artist was Shinji Kimura, who'd go on to work on Akira and My Neighbor Totoro, among other films. What'll trip some people up is the story, because it's slowly paced and VERY allegorical, even by Oshii's usual standards.

Anyway, I really liked it, and if somebody ever feels like doing a kickstarter to get this movie out on Blu-Ray, that's a project I'd definitely support. I freely admit, however, that I am partial to this kind of anime. I also liked Pale Cocoon, Texhnolyze, and even Cat Soup, which are also allegorical stories built primarily around striking visuals rather than dialogue.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:25 pm Reply with quote
It's a damn shame they don't just release Angel's Egg again so everyone can acquire a copy.
HdE

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:26 pm Reply with quote
I think the real thing to take from all this is that an Angel's Egg release needs to happen in the West.

I hear it's a difficult license, but it's got to be worthwhile.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
If this gets released finally I'm going to have to check it out.

You may find that it is not the film itself that is depressingly slow and boring, but instead the aeons of waiting required for news of an official licence.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:

You may find that it is not the film itself that is depressingly slow and boring, but instead the aeons of waiting required for news of an official licence.

No, no, the movie itself is depressingly slow and boring--
This is the pre-Ghost/Shell "artsy" Oshii, back when he still did anime, but it was more like "The other bits of Beautiful Dreamer when Lum wasn't onscreen."
Yeah.....THAT stuff. Rolling Eyes

(And this is the original, not the Roger Corman cut with the post-apocalyptic live-action segments?)
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Helmet Head wrote:
"If I was distributing anime, I'd do it myself," he continued, "but TOKYOPOP isn't in that business segment."
And who do we have to thank for that? Oh, that's right,,,,,,,,,,
You. Wink
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:

I'll wait. There's plenty of other stuff that you can do while you wait. But I bet it will be out long before the 'Battle Angel Alita' movie. Yep, I'm still digging that knife into the creator.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:31 pm Reply with quote
It seems that Tokyopop is no stranger to controversy, even after years since their infamous shutdown. If only Stu Levy realized that that subtitled version of Angel's Egg was fan-made, he wouldn't be in the precarious situation he put himself in.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3