• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hunter x Hunter Manga to Return for 1st Time Since August 2014

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr.Shonen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:47 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Yaaaaaay 5 more chapters.

5! Woah there cowboy. We have to get through 1 chapter first.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
diefty

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:52 am Reply with quote
Saku-dono wrote:
Okay, this is good news to fans, but I am so ambivalent to be optimistic in this. How many more hiatuses will Togashi take until Jump finally drops him off? I just can't seem to accept this guy manages to take long hiatuses while other mangakas work their arses off just to stay in Jump's roster. Just to be fair, I know his series is selling like hotcakes, but what about the other mangakas' effort and devotion? I wanna see a Bakuman-esque twist happening sooner or later.

Life can be unfair like that, some guys like Togashi have talent but have also decided that hard work isnt for them and will do the bare minimum while the average Jump author busts their ass to barely maintain serialization.
Saffire

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:59 am Reply with quote
It always amazes me how easily people living on another continent can reject the notion that maybe Togashi really does have health problems.
Whatevers

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Huh

Last edited by Whatevers on Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Souther

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Saku-dono wrote:
Okay, this is good news to fans, but I am so ambivalent to be optimistic in this. How many more hiatuses will Togashi take until Jump finally drops him off? I just can't seem to accept this guy manages to take long hiatuses while other mangakas work their arses off just to stay in Jump's roster. Just to be fair, I know his series is selling like hotcakes, but what about the other mangakas' effort and devotion? I wanna see a Bakuman-esque twist happening sooner or later.

I don't think they'll drop Togashi anytime soon. Like you said, HxH sells well so there's nothing to lose by allowing his work to continue despite the hiatuses. All that matters is that Jump's ok with it, and they seem to be, so that's that.

As for his work ethic (that's assuming he's not telling the truth about his health), he'd already established himself as a successful mangaka prior to HxH and these translated interviews with him provide an insight into the grind he experienced and how it changed his views on the production of his manga.

Last edited by Souther on Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
SoułEater

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:20 pm Reply with quote
YES
Fallensoul

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Saffire wrote:
It always amazes me how easily people living on another continent can reject the notion that maybe Togashi really does have health problems.

Well if he does in fact have health problems why on earth isn't he putting in some assistants and shit so that he doesn't have to do it all by himself. It just doesn't make sense to not do it if you can't possibly maintain a steady release schedule cause of health problems. Either drop it entirely or get some damn help.
epicrevenge

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:29 pm Reply with quote
YES! I actually didn't think this would happen any time soon. Very Happy

I hope he manages to get out a decent amount of chapters before his next break. I really want to start reading the Dark Continent arc, but I know it's a bad idea to do so at the moment.
Valhern

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:29 pm Reply with quote
r3bornaraku wrote:
You should really try One Piece out again. The current arc has been absolutely fantastic and is easily the best arc in quite some time.

Well I didn't drop it, I waited for Dressrosa to end and bingeread it, and then wait again, I know that spoiler[the 4th Yonkou has been revealed, Sanji's full name too and apparently he is royalty, and things like that.] I did it with Dressrosa only because it was slow as hell (and rather disliked it when reading it full), and it was in tha arc when I catched up. I would've done the same with many of the arcs following the Great War arc, I liked some a little bit, but some bored me a lot, so I just wait. But that's enough off-topic.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Fallensoul wrote:

Well if he does in fact have health problems why on earth isn't he putting in some assistants and shit so that he doesn't have to do it all by himself. It just doesn't make sense to not do it if you can't possibly maintain a steady release schedule cause of health problems. Either drop it entirely or get some damn help.

Perhaps he knows he doesn't play nice with other people. Perhaps this is his baby and if he isn't the only one doing it he will feel it isn't his work.

Finally, perhaps as long as he is happy with the work he puts out and his fans are happy enough to continue spending their money on him, it won't matter whether or not he meets some fans expectations on a schedule.

Personally I find it strange some fans insist that if you can't meet their schedule expectations that the creator should just stop the work.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:53 pm Reply with quote
If his health really is failing him, I still stand by my thought that he should announce his retirement and just letthe series end as it is. That would be what's best for him (and if Shuiesha puts up with his hiatuses, then he must have the leverage to retire when he wants too), and it'd benefit everyone waiting for him to continue because they'll know there won't be any more.

Stark700 wrote:
Yes! About time! I hope it won't go on hiatus again soon though.

You can never really tell. There was one time he went on hiatus for about 30 weeks, then released the two-chapter special, then went back on hiatus for another 30 weeks or so.

Saku-dono wrote:

If he's been able to take this many and make them that long, he's probably allowed to take as many hiatuses as he wants. Every series he's published in Weekly Shonen Jump has been successful, even stuff obscure nowadays like Level E. In addition, volumes of Hunter X Hunter sell well even when he's on hiatus. As a result, they treat him like royalty.

They'll be harsher on him when Hunter X Hunter stops selling well. Who knows when that will happen?

Saffire wrote:

Oh, Japanese fans are sick of his hiatuses too, so much so that the word "Togashi" is now in the Jump fan lexicon to mean a person who takes unnecessarily long breaks.

What I think irks people is that, with the exception of this last hiatus, Togashi never gave an explanation. He'll either announce that he's going on break, or he won't say anything at all and the manga suddenly stops. This creates the impression that he goes on break solely because he wants to.

Fallensoul wrote:

He's a reclusive artist. He doesn't trust anyone else to do any of it and is only comfortable if he writes and draws everything himself. Not the most efficient way to do it, but if it results in the fantastic storytelling he creates, Shueisha will let him work strictly alone.

Valhern wrote:
Well I didn't drop it, I waited for Dressrosa to end and bingeread it, and then wait again, I know that spoiler[the 4th Yonkou has been revealed, Sanji's full name too and apparently he is royalty, and things like that.] I did it with Dressrosa only because it was slow as hell (and rather disliked it when reading it full), and it was in tha arc when I catched up. I would've done the same with many of the arcs following the Great War arc, I liked some a little bit, but some bored me a lot, so I just wait. But that's enough off-topic.

Actually, the first bit in the spoiler tag had been revealed quite some time ago, and the third bit in the spoiler tag is incorrect; that's just a fan theory that became popular before the manga actually stated the facts outright.
pandoraking

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:09 pm Reply with quote
GREAT NEWS!!!!
Ushio

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:09 pm Reply with quote
So he'll do one chapter to finish off volume 33 that's profit on the sales of 1 million sold copies and another 10 chapters so that after another multi year break he only needs to do 1 chapter for volume 34 and another 1 million volume payoff.
bigivel

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Valhern wrote:
Saku-dono wrote:

Well, there IS a reason for that. Yu Yu Hakusho is known for its somewhat abrupt (yet very good to me) ending, and it was born from a dispute with Togashi and his editor, apparently the core problem was the schedule (maybe Togashi wanted to work like Miura in Berserk, monthly and 18 pages). YYH ending was decidely not good for the Jump, and when they saw how much HxH outdid YYH, they realized it was not a good idea to drop it off.

And to be fair, while I do respect a lot mangakas that devote themselves to an almost unhealthy work (seriously, a weekly mangaka schedule is incredibly exhausting), I'd prefer for them stopping for a while and bring better content than rush to fill the week, it's what happened to me with One Piece, I fell out of love with it past chapter 600 or so, and while I kept reading it, I felt that the long run has been wearing down Oda a lot both in writing and health.

Because their work IS commendable, mangakas should have a better schedule for work, with less pressure from editors and publishing companies, but I don't see this in a near future, sadly.

That is totally not true! There was no dispute in Yu Yu Hakusho, just Togashi that decided to end abruptly, and so he did.
Togashi himself talked about the issue in his Doujinshi that he made right after ending Yu Yu Hakusho. He talked of all the problems he had during the serialization and why he decided to end.
In the problems there was nothing about disputes with editors, in fact if there was he wouldn't later do Level-E in the magazine, but with a Monthly issue(yep, monthly serialization in Weekly Shonen Jump), and then later start HunterxHunter, with that cover comment in the first volume.

HunterXHunter 1st cover comment -> http://imgur.com/ch18uzY
Yu Yu Hakusho comments -> https://www.reddit.com/r/HunterXHunter/comments/2ga6as/togashis_long_written_piece_found_in_the_yyh/
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Welp, lets just hope this is a good run that isn't solely exposition.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6