• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How Fire Emblem Became a Phenomenon

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Red Fox of Fire

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:19 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Useless outside of healing damage to other units and up until they learn offensive magic or an offensive ability to actually defend themselves with. And yes I have.

"Useless except for the exact thing that makes them useful." Combatants are also useless outside of fighting enemies.

Healing damage is kind of important, especially with permadeath on. I shouldn't have to explain why. If your healers are getting attacked, play better.

Quote:
Red Fox of Fire wrote:
By the way, to anyone reading thinking this is an unmarked spoiler, it's not. You can see almost immediately that you can marry your supposed birth siblings,

Well that's provided they play through the game which I'm pretty sure some of the people reading your comment and this article haven't done yet.

It's not a spoiler. The game doesn't treat it as any kind of big deal, it's just there.

I mean, sure, you won't know it just from looking at the boxart or anything. But you also might not know that all the royal siblings have dragon blood in them until you actually play, and that is most certainly not a spoiler unless someone wants to go in completely blind (in which case I really doubt they're here reading this).

Quote:
Red Fox of Fire wrote:
and some C rank conversations reference the fact that you aren't blood-related

Sakura and Hinoka's S-supports reference this.

I assume you mean their S supports with Corrin, but it's actually referenced as early as Corrin/Hinoka B (I thought it was C, that was a mistake).

Quote:
Red Fox of Fire wrote:

It's a cop-out meant to enable the player to marry anyone without doing straight up incest. That is it.

spoiler[I think the fact that Corrin looks a bit different than his/her Hoshidan siblings along with him/her being able to turn into a dragon and what not was a one of the tell tale signs.....plus it seems rather strange for them to do that in light of Owain and Lucina being able to S support with each other for no reason in Awakening.]

Straight up sibling incest. Lucina and Owain are cousins and, to my knowledge, cousin marriage isn't considered taboo in Japan.
Haterater

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:44 am Reply with quote
First game released here was how I really got into Fire Emblem. Even though I know of the characters in Smash, it didn't really connect to me much. But after playing the GBA game, I became a fan of the series. Good turnaround and if Nintendo is careful about the moves they go forward with the games, it'll be a firm franchise staple. Good article covering the origins to now.

*plugs in avatar of one of my favorite Fire Emblem characters that I have never changed since joining this forum* Mr. Green
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:51 am Reply with quote
Just as an FYI watch the excessive quoting please guys. I've already edited 3 posts to remove it from them. Thanks. Also, simply typing a bunch of dots does not equal an actual legitimate post. We frown on one liners here to begin with and a post with nothing in it but dots isn't even a one liner. It's a no liner.
JoeQ

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:33 am Reply with quote
Only played Blazing Sword, Sacred Stones and Path of Radiance myself. Blazing Sword is my favorite, guess first love never dies. Got all the supports for it too (Hector X Lynn OTP!), even if the grinding got completely ridiculous with the late game units. Path of Radiance was also great, but they screwed up the support mechanism so only ended up playing it through once. Never got a Wii so I missed Radiant Dawn. Maybe someday... Sacred Stones was just... kinda bland? It's mechanically good, but I failed to connect with the characters (honestly can't really remember any of them beyond the twins) and the plot.

I can understand why the supports are the main attraction for many people, I really got into them even though I'm not normally a "shipper". Permadeath... yeah, it adds tension, but it also made me rage in frustration so many times just because some enemy got a lucky crit. The fog of war missions in Blazing Sword were the worst!
NearEasternerJ1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:42 am Reply with quote
Paiprince wrote:
Granted, I don't hate the new games. Far from it, I enjoy most of the things they've done with it from both gameplay and storyline aspects. Some of IF's decisions does irk me with its Pokemon style direction and not to mention NoA and Treehouse's bullheaded insistence in "localization" but for the most part I'm glad the series was saved whereas plenty of others have stayed in limbo over the years.

Get a dictionary. Stop complaining about "localization". Wow, it's in English! It's not available in Japanese for America? Oh boo hoo!
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:14 am Reply with quote
NearEasternerJ1 wrote:
Paiprince wrote:
Granted, I don't hate the new games. Far from it, I enjoy most of the things they've done with it from both gameplay and storyline aspects. Some of IF's decisions does irk me with its Pokemon style direction and not to mention NoA and Treehouse's bullheaded insistence in "localization" but for the most part I'm glad the series was saved whereas plenty of others have stayed in limbo over the years.

Get a dictionary. Stop complaining about "localization". Wow, it's in English! It's not available in Japanese for America? Oh boo hoo!

Do you have an axe to grind with Paiprince or something? Who pissed in your cereal today?
mandisaw

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:49 am Reply with quote
I tried to get into Fire Emblem a few years back with Path of Radiance via emulator. I liked the gameplay, but the characters were too numerous and too weakly-differentiated for me to care enough about them. Without that connection, permadeath just feels like one of those unnecessary "Nintendo Hard" mechanics.

Also, the plot/story felt *way* too linear, even for a JRPG. At the time I was looking to scratch a tactical/customizable itch following FF:Tactics A2 on DS and my tabletop RPG games (mainly D&D 4e at the time). I quit somewhere early, maybe Ch 8 or so.

So fast-forward to now, and I literally got sucked into buying a 3DS with the marketing for Fates. As it happened, I got the black & white FE edition same-day since my local Gamestop got stiffed on a pre-order (and because they don't have Metallic Blue in the States :sob: ). Been playing nearly every day on the evening commute, and when I can squeeze in a battle before bed, and I'm on Ch 20 (Nohr/Conquest).

Fates satisfies both my tactical combat leanings and my Harvest Moon fixation LOL, and I love that the settings & interface have so many handles. I have too many real-life obligations to pore over GameFAQs for days debating every combat option/potential character loss or pairing, so Casual + Normal is right for me.

I did debate for hours over whether to get Birthright or Conquest, but frankly the Nohr char designs/descriptions and more complex tactics sold me on Conquest before I even started playing. Glad I did though - the honor-before-reason Hoshidans kind of piss me off, and all those costumes look like they'd be cooler to cosplay than fight in. (Tho the Nohr outfits are stripperiffic in their own way.)

I especially dig the mix&match nature of the current support system, even apart from the shipping aspect - it reminds me of Jump Super Stars' series-based character decks. That is one of my favorite games, and maybe the #1 reason why I avoided getting a newer DS system - no import games Sad
SpeckTech

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:54 am Reply with quote
Red Fox of Fire wrote:

spoiler[I think the fact that Corrin looks a bit different than his/her Hoshidan siblings along with him/her being able to turn into a dragon and what not was a one of the tell tale signs.....plus it seems rather strange for them to do that in light of Owain and Lucina being able to S support with each other for no reason in Awakening.]

Straight up sibling incest. Lucina and Owain are cousins and, to my knowledge, cousin marriage isn't considered taboo in Japan.[/quote]

Or West Virginia.

...I couldn't resist making the joke Razz
Somewhere

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:11 pm Reply with quote
mandisaw wrote:
I liked the gameplay, but the characters were too numerous and too weakly-differentiated for me to care enough about them. Without that connection, permadeath just feels like one of those unnecessary "Nintendo Hard" mechanics.

I wouldn't call permanent death in Fire Emblem unnecessary. There's something very important to keep in mind about this series, especially the original game and thus the spirit that has followed since. Fire Emblem was proposed as a 'Map-based strategy war game'. (Source)
Then things make more sense. It's a war game, so units are meant to be disposable. But instead of directly generating more units, you recruit according to the storyline along the way. It's why the earlier games threw tons of units your way. FE1 had about 52 playable characters by the end (51 recruitable in a given playthrough as you had to choose between Alan/Arran and Samson). And you were recruiting dudes throughout most of the game. And it's been largely tradition since.

Contrast this to the first console strategy/rpg to allow reviving: Shining Force. It's the fourth console strategy/rpg to exist (Fire Emblem 1 came first in April 1990, Langrisser 1 in April 1991, Fire Emblem Gaiden/FE2 in March 14 1992, then Shining Force 1 in March 20, 1992). (Bonus fact: Shining Force 1 is the second console strat/rpg to make it to the US; Langrisser 1 came over in March 1992 as Warsong, SF1 in July 1993)
The key difference between Shining Force and Fire Emblem in development spirit is that the creator of SF wanted to make an RPG, but with a more interesting battle system. So he looked to more tactical games for that. (Source)
Fronzel

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:37 pm Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
NearEasternerJ1 wrote:
Paiprince wrote:

Do you have an axe to grind with Paiprince or something? Who pissed in your cereal today?

Some people are unhappy with some smarmy choices made in the translation and as usual it's provoked a circle-the-wagons "paying customers are scum" reaction. It's a little odd that the article doesn't mention it even in passing but then again posts about it have mysteriously disappeared from this thread as well.
CaRoss

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:54 pm Reply with quote
I joined the Fire Emblem fanbase back in 2005 with Path of Radiance. The fantasy setting, and higher level of challenge (from what I had assumed at that age - I was 12 at the time) than FFTA had appealed greatly to me. That and I was always looking for more games to build my GCN collection.

And that's how I became a fan. It's not my favourite SRPG franchise, Disgaea holds that position, but the games have all been fun challenges in their own ways. Though, I think it's the distinct characters and permadeath that really appeal to me about this series.

My favourite game in the series though is most definitely Sacred Stones. There's something about that one that just appeals to me more than any of the others, and it's just a whole lot of fun to play.

As to the shipping mechanic. I love it. I'll openly and readily admit it. It's something I love in the Agarest War games, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Persona, etc. It's not for everyone, sure, but I enjoy those sorts of options. I can't really place why though. It could stem from my time as a shipper for a lot of shows when I was younger. And having that power in a game, where my option is just as right as whatever the creators intended, is kind of fun. But other than that, I have no idea why I enjoy it: I just do.

I just wish that the child mechanics in Fates had been more fine tuned, and any future versions of the system take more from Genealogy and the Agarest War games than what they've been doing.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Desa wrote:
Sidescrollers are my weakness. I find them frustratingly difficult. Take Yoshi's Island for instance. It was fun at first but about 80% of the way through I rage-quitted. To this day I still haven't finished that game.

Seriously!?

Red Fox of Fire wrote:

"Useless except for the exact thing that makes them useful."

Yeah because it's absolutely fun to have healers who can't fight back whenever they're set upon by enemies who can attack them both directly and indirectly and can only level up by healing injured units absolutely nothing tedious about that in the slightest. Especially in a game where a single screw up (or cheap design) can screw up minutes of progress and even potentially lock you out of something because someone got killed when they shouldn't have.

Red Fox of Fire wrote:
Healing damage is kind of important,

True as I've already mentioned previously, doesn't exactly mitigate my gripes(s) with Troubadours in the Fire Emblem games though.

Red Fox of Fire wrote:
especially with permadeath on. I shouldn't have to explain why. If your healers are getting attacked, play better.

Yeah because the problem with Troubadours sucking on offense and defense and being a pain to level up. Is absolutely because of player skill, not lazy/redundant game design. Also this is with regards to the older Emblem games not the newer ones especially since Fates decides to actually to fix this (somewhat) with the Butler and Maid class.

Red Fox of Fire wrote:

Straight up sibling incest. Lucina and Owain are cousins and, to my knowledge, cousin marriage isn't considered taboo in Japan.

With that being said though they didn't cop out on that like they "allegedly" did in fates.
Desa

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:40 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Desa wrote:
Sidescrollers are my weakness. I find them frustratingly difficult. Take Yoshi's Island for instance. It was fun at first but about 80% of the way through I rage-quitted. To this day I still haven't finished that game.

Seriously!?

Yeah I can't reiterate just how much I suck at sidescrollers. Baby Mario always crying didn't help at all. I think the only real sidescroller I've ever cleared was Megaman Zero, but only because I really liked that game, and because Zero's beamsword is the most responsive melee weapon I've ever used in any game ever.

As for healing in FE, I got started with FE 6 and I've always liked the healers. Sure when you're starting out they're pretty much dead after one hit but that's where the strategy comes in. You can see the enemies' movement and attack range so staying away from attacks is pretty easy. Almost never am I forced to gamble a healer into enemy range without a backup plan. Simplest strategy is to have strong attack and defense units flank your healers to protect them while getting healed from behind. The best combo is when your healer can form a strong support with an attacker and this planning is the key part of strategy in FE games.

Troubadours in particular are very useful since they're mounted units with high speed and movement range. I remember this blonde troubadour, Clarine I think her name was, had insane luck stats. She was a dodging machine and had high magic res so she was extremely difficult to kill. Clarine herself was quite petite so her mount could rescue all but the heaviest Generals. The rescue mechanic can be crucial on certain maps where your forces are spread thin and you're at risk of being surrounded, or when you need to carry a thief over long distances to quickly pillage a lot of chests before the enemy thieves can get to them.

It would be stupid to pair a mounted unit with someone on foot since they wouldn't be able to move together as effectively so I almost always pair troubadours with paladins to form a strong mounted corps. Same deal with flying units only being paired with other flying units.

Neglecting your healers can make the game much more difficult later on. I can see why players more concerned with turn counts and "speed runs" will have a very difficult time leveling up their healers, but strategy games generally aren't for people who are in a hurry.
Meexa

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:10 am Reply with quote
One thing that irritated me about the pro reviews in general. Is that they keep acting like birthright and conquest was legitimate stories to fates. The true story was actually revelations and it fixes all the plot holes. Which made me happy I played revelations first instead of the other storylines, it would have been a waste of my time. Both birthright and conquest are the "what if" story to revelations, which makes the JPN title actually make sense. I feel sorry for people who couldn't get the SE edition, nintendo should have sold that in mass without the special items.

I didn't like this pokemon route nintendo did with FE and hopefully they don't do it again. Think of it this way, imagined if each game with multiple storylines where all sold separately. I don't want this trend to continue, will skip out on the next FE if they do this again. Also, instead of doing the what if story, they could have just told the story in a different point of view.

I would be alright with the touch censoring if it where not for other games like pokemon 3ds gen, kingdom hearts dream drop distance, nintendogs, and other 3ds/vita gaming titles that allow us to pet/play-with in game characters.

Lastly, they need to stop with the more gold and more exp map dlc because it has finally effected the game. I can tell they made getting gold and exp harder, not just to have a "more challenging game," but to just milk that cow with the dlc. I really wanted to enjoy my staff classes like rescue, freeze, silence, etc... Couldn't because the things cost too much and not able to get enough gold. I even had to grind a little for exp. No more gold and exp map dlc please nintendo? Just give us more amiibo and crossover dlc with another franchise.

Worst case scenario if they go down this dangerous path with the pokemon selling tactics and dlc, I still got xcom for my hardcore permadeath tactical rpg.
switchgear1131

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Radiant Dawn is by far my favourite and most played interation of the game.

The frist one I got to play was Path of Radiance whe nI friend let me borrow it, and I was hooked instantly. Because I had to borrow it I onl got to play it a few times until I was able to get a real cheap copy recently. After PoR I went back and played everything that was available in English until Radiant Dawn came out.

I've played Radiant Dawn so much that I knew it inside and out and when I couldn't think of anything to play or wanted a distraction from something else for a few minutes I would play that. If it had been a vhs I would definitely have owrn it out.

The same can be said for awakenining. In the frist six months it was out I had to have beaten it over a dozen times and it currently sits as the most played by hours game on my 3ds, though at the pace Fates is going it will easily eclipse that very soon.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6