• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime You'd Love To See Remade

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KimichiTsuzuku

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:03 am Reply with quote
The other thing I'd really like to see is the animation studio Trigger (of Kill la Kill fame) get the license and funding to adapt anything they wanted from Go Nagai (Devilman, MazinKaiser, Cutey Honey)

Then again, if someone was going to adapt Apocalypse Zero or Bakuretsu/Sorcerer Hunters or Trigun, Trigger at least has managed to pull off the tricky balancing act of absurdist humor, blatant fan service with a serious overarching plot line.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:03 am Reply with quote
Ha! I'll agree that Howl's Moving Castle's movie was very different from its book. (Oddly enough, though I really like most of Diana Wynne Jones' works, Howl didn't do it for me.) On the other hand, Miyazaki also trimmed down his own work (the Nausicaa manga) in order to make the Nausicaa movie. That might really just be their MO, for lack of a better term. Ghibli knows how to make movies, and arguably really good ones. I think there was simply too much content in Howl the book to turn into a cohesive movie, so they took out a machete, hacked out the most essential parts, and created a story from that.

I'd argue that Sophie's character remains largely intact (aside from--book spoilers!--spoiler[possible latent magical powers]), and that she does overcome expectations she and society placed on herself. That is, ostensibly, how she broke her own curse after all.

As for the Witch of the Waste treatment, I actually can't recall most of what her book-self was like, but Ghibli (and Miyazaki, I would hazard) largely stay away from "pure" antagonists; they seem to reeeeally like their shades of gray.

But yeah, if you were looking for a more literal adaptation of Howl's Moving Castle, I could see how fans would be disappointed. After discovering the Nausicaa manga for myself, it dawned on me that Ghibli/Miyazaki's adaptations might be better thought of as wholly separate products, rather than adaptations (which, honestly, might allow for easier judgement of the movie as a standalone product, rather than how well or poorly it translates the book to screen).
Go Mifune

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:33 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
The Twelve Kingdoms

Twelve Kingdoms is one that I always want done, as long as it goes beyond where it dropped off.

Gunslinger Girl is also on my list, though I doubt it will happen, especially the 3-4 seasons to do the whole manga-- so I would settle for just finishing it.

But by far what I want most is what was just discussed. Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind-- this is a great movie as it is, but I would like to see it redone, but would hope with great oversight by Miyazaki (since he is retired) and though it is a movie- would prefer a series over a movie- though a series of movies would be cool too.
DigitalScratch

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:11 am Reply with quote
Definitely my favorite anime Soul Eater, especially since the final arc of the anime was lackluster at best and NOT failed to light a fire under the fandom.

There was a lot of awesome battles and character development (especially in my favorite chapters: the Baba Yaga Arc) that were missed out in the anime. I would love to see Maka's battle against Arachne animated, instead of what happened to Arachne in the anime which was incredibly disappointing and anti-climatic.

But what makes it difficult is that the anime stayed faithful to the manga before attempting to make its own ending 3/4 of the way in. So if BONES did remake it they may pull a Brotherhood and fast forward all the way through Asura's Revival in like 10 episodes...Which is a bad idea personally.

Or BONES and Ohkubo could take a chance and just make a new Soul Eater series all together that is based on new material and set after the original anime. I wouldn't mind seeing that.
Divineking

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:30 am Reply with quote
Like many other people on here, I also really want a Rurouni Kenshin remake. Though putting aside the fact that the last arc was never animated, while I do appreciate the anime for getting me into the series, the director Kazuhiro Furhashi just really didn't GET Kenshin. Firstly by a lot of the earlier filler material making Kenshin a lighter character than he was in the manga and then that darned Reflections OVA which completely went against the while redemption theme of the manga in favor of being edgy(and let's not even get started on that New Kyoto OVA). So needless to say if we ever get a Kenshin reboot (and given it's been proven the franchise still sells I don't get why it hasn't happened yet) I'd like him to be as far away from it as possible.

I'd also really dig a Shaman King anime reboot. While I do have a lot of affection for the anime (and the 4Kids dub for ironic reasons) it only really scratched the surface of the manga, and it's more or less a completely different beast. There's a lot of really interesting material from the later parts of the manga I'd like to see animated (and especially the real ending to it) so it'd be nice if it happens though it's probably a lot less likely than a RuroKen reboot.
smokeJaguar

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:06 am Reply with quote
I would only agree with Clannad remake if they made the true ending for Nagisa spoiler[she did not die in the True ending. I guess technically they did with episode 24 of after story i think]. I would also like to see each girls full story lines made into series
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:47 am Reply with quote
gravediggernalk wrote:

Lupin III. "But there's already a Part IV!" Yes, but another long-running Lupin series, with multiple directors being allowed to direct multiple episodes (AKA young directors can have a chance, in addition to the "usual suspects," and the random showcase of a notable director), couldn't be a bad thing IF the animation is kept in check. *cough*Purple jacket*cough*

Ehh I don't know about making another Lupin series that's more than 50 episodes especially when Series 2 had a lot of meh/passable episodes....basically you'd wind up with another series that leans more on quantity than quality. Also series 3 had okay animation it was the character designs of the main cast that got wonky for some reason.
WashuTakahashi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:56 am Reply with quote
Fruits Basket is always the first series that comes to mind when I'm asked what anime I'd want to be remade. While I do love that series for what it was, the manga was SOOO much better, and an anime that faithfully adapts the whole thing (or even just most of it. A lot of the side relationships could be cut out for time's sake) would just make me cry my eyeballs out.

I'd also love a re-do (or rather, a continuation) of Ouran High School Host Club. The anime was fantastic up to the anime-original ending, which I suppose was a good enough ending if they weren't going to finish adapting the manga. But the manga gets so much deeper into the character relationships. The twins are my favorite characters, and they get SO much more growth in the manga while trying to figure out their feelings for Haruhi. They really wouldn't even need a reboot for this, they could easily enough pick up where they left off and somehow make the anime-ending make some sense or sweep it under the rug.

Last but not least, Tsubasa. The manga is a confusing jumbled up work of art that I'd love to see replicated in anime form. The first time I read the manga it was taking too long between volumes. It literally got too confusing waiting months to read them, and I just gave up and waited until the entire thing was done to go back and read it in one shot. Even then, there were multiple parts that had me going "Wait, what?" and re-reading giant chunks. From my understanding, the anime was cut short as it was "too dark" for the station it was airing on, which was aimed at kids. I'd love a faithful remake that kept all of the dark and confusing parts intact. It's a series that I think would make more sense as an anime than it did in manga form (I just feel like they could more clearly explain the spoiler[clones/Tsubasa] and whatnot).
Spawn29

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:11 pm Reply with quote
When talking about Masamune Shirow anime adaptions, I'm surprise no one mention the idea of doing a remake or Dominion Tank Police?

KimichiTsuzuku wrote:

Then again, if someone was going to adapt Apocalypse Zero or Bakuretsu/Sorcerer Hunters or Trigun, Trigger at least has managed to pull off the tricky balancing act of absurdist humor, blatant fan service with a serious overarching plot line.

I think Apocalypse Zero does need a better anime adaption. The manga is not bad in my opinion and try to adapt 11 volumes into two episodes.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Once it gets rather old, I'd actually go with Death Note. While the first series was good, I'd rather have a more faithful adaptation of the source material, split into two seasons (with the split happening in the time skip), which I feel might give it more credibility.

Other than that, I really want sequel anime to Bleach and Toriko as well as more faithful reboots of Soul Eater and Tokyo Ghoul
Lynxikat

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Jedi Master Kirito wrote:
Once Naruto finishes, I think they should remake both series with better animation, fewer flashbacks, and no fillers.

This.

The manga in general tends to drag its scenes, but good God, both Naruto & Naruto:Shippuden make it so much worse.
trunkschan90

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:56 pm Reply with quote
I want a remake of the anime Shinzo/Mushrambo mostly because the anime's ending is sad compared to the manga version which was much happier.
spoiler[ In the anime Yakumo dies while in the manga Yakumo and Mushra eventually get married and have a young daughter.]

I would also like to see a modern reboot of Sabu and Ichi.

And I want to see Zatch Bell get a reboot and have manga ending.
Spawn29

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:24 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprise that no one wants to see a new Devilman anime? I would like to see one that adapts the manga from start to finish. Get Madhouse to do it since I feel like that they could do a awesome job on it. They could upgrade the character designs to feel more modern similar to how Parasyte did.

A new Mazinger anime too that is a adaption of the manga. The70's TV show is good fun and all, but 90+ episodes can get old fast.
Calsolum

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Valhern wrote:
Mr.Shonen wrote:
Rave Master anyone?

Aw, DAMN! Yes, Rave Master needs to hit the screen again, so I can cry every time I see Sieg Hart.

oh man same here, whenever i see Jellal from fairy tail he makes me think this is what he could have been.

I've seen alot of stuff i'd like to see so i wont repeat them but pupa really should have gotten something better.
When i first heard of it I thought it was gonna be some terrifying piece of media(like tokyo ghoul, corpse party or another) given the content and incorporate suspense and mystery but then it just degenerated to some 4 min an ep pile of s***. I suppose it did terrify me in a way

Angel Sanctuary could use an actual adaption while the main romance in it is somewhat off putting but the hierarchy of the demons, and later on the arrogant and very human way the angels live was quite interesting. spoiler[If i remember correctly they made 'god' out to be a huge asshole who feeds his angelic 'children' fruits grown from adam kadmon's eye as a result every single angel has committed the crime of cannibalism.] he reminds me of the Yehowah in the shin megami tensei series.

Psycho Pass's 2nd season needs to be retconned out of existance. enough said.

I'd also like to see a reboot or persona 3 but more specifically i want to see them animate "The Answer" arc of the game cause well the title speaks for itself.

they also need to do umineko's answer arc as well

as for gabriella's take on FSN i'd agree wholeheartedly. Using archer Lynch pin for the universe would be a great idea since he would have seen more of the 'current' and 'future' world than any other character. Plus having archer be the one breaks HF shiro out of his hero complex makes sense because he'd be the one who desires it the most since he's living his past self's mistakes.

I think saber's story can be solved by having archer pull her out of her corruption or rather extend his hand to her but explain to her that she needs to be the one changes for her own sake. I'd also like if in the process he imitates kiritsugu the same way the latter saved him from the great fire. For Goldie-Locks(Gilgamesh) im not sure how to deal with him gracefully, as for the 3 ladies of fate stay night obviously a harem ending would be silly so why not have the opposite where they all just move on. They crush on him during the series but by the end they realize it was just a situational crush cause quite frankly all the other dudes(sans servants) in FSN were not-so-nice-people, evil, possibly gay and a terminator- no wait thats just their homeroom teacher. I mean shiro must look like a saint compared to these wackjobs
DQBunny

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:59 pm Reply with quote
I'm really surprised no one has mentioned Slayers that I've seen.

As much as I love, love Slayers Next, I'd like to see a more concise adaptation of the novels. Once you trim all the filler, you could easily do the entire series in 52 episodes: 1-26 focusing on the first eight novels and 27-52 on the final seven novels.

The biggest change that would probably need to be made is spoiler[adding Zelgadiss and Amelia to the second arc because they aren't there in the novels], because I doubt the fandom wouldn't accept them not being there.

But there's so much the novels have going for them, especially with how Gourry is treated (he was seriously dumbed down for the anime.) I'd love to see a proper anime of them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 14 of 16