• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Most Memorable Anime Villain

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:44 am Reply with quote
@merxamers

Welcome to Team L, bud! We have all the sweets in the world! Mmm...sweets...

As for more villains I'd add, I'd add the Fate Zero version of Gilgamesh to the list. This is a guy who's entire motivation can be summed up as "I just sort of felt like it" and "don't touch my stuff". But he's not just a a-hole; no, no, he's SMART. He knows how to best destroy his opponents while making new allies. After all, he is the one responsible for the tragic tale of Kirei Kotomine, as well as spoiler[indirectly murdering Rin's parents. (First, through manipulating Kirei into offing Tokiomi, then setting up the scene with Kariya and Aoi, leading to Aoi's strangling and brain damage, wherein she dies years later.] WOW.
MajorZero

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:58 am Reply with quote
Johan Liebert from Monster, such a great manipulative bastard. Shame two dimensional, one-note characters like Yagami and Makishima made it to the list and he's all but forgotten.
zensunni

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:54 pm Reply with quote
The American animated series that does the best job of portraying the sympathetic villain is definitely The Legend of Korra. In the final season, it actually uses this fact as part of the plot. Korra realizes that, in order to reconnect with the Avatar state, she must learn from the people she has defeated. The fact that much of what she has tried to accomplish over the the course of the series was very much in line with the ultimate goals of the villains makes all of the villains more interesting. The "Nobel goals with incorrect methods" concept is very strong in the story.
leonard.lim.944023

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:07 pm Reply with quote
What no Char aznable lame Atleast it's not those char clones.
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Akane the Catgirl wrote:

And with that, I have presented my case. *noms on popcorn voraciously while waving Team L flag*

I wholeheartedly agree with you on pretty much everything in your last post(or all of your posts in general). BUT, I'd just like to point out that L isn't all that heroic himself, in some ways, depending on your views on capital punishment. He wants to kill Light. Both Light and L want to kill criminals... it's just that one has a Death Note and is psychotic, while the other is still mostly sane... though he has some questionable dietary habits. Maybe that's a little too reductionist, but it was one of the things that I thought was sort of fascinating about the series. We've got this crazy guy who wants to kill all of the criminals in the world, while simultaneously becoming a villain himself, we have a couple of different characters tell us out-loud that killing another human is never justified, and it seems like the show itself is really trying to support that, yet, ultimately, in order to defeat evil, Near has to kill another human being.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Alright Akane and Duel enough is enough. You've both been warned about this before. Several times in fact. Akane you've been warned to report users and not get into arguments and flame wars with users. Specifically DuelGundam. Duel you've been warned countless times about your trollish and argumentative behavior. You were specifically told you were on final notice before moderation. The offending posts have been removed. Now since neither of you can listen after being given multiple warnings you're both getting a timeout and placed on moderation temporarily. I suggest you both take the time to chill out and learn to post more civilly or simply ignore the people who bother you.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:49 pm Reply with quote
I think my go-to classic "villain you remember" is Uchiha Itachi from Naruto; he had the charisma, abilities, and the mentality (and once spoiler[the truth about him was revealed], I think it added to his overall presence, IMO).
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Akane the Catgirl wrote:
I can also understand why the power of the Death Note can be so appealing, even if I would never use it. It's just human nature to want to be right. With the Death Note, you can be right. By killing anyone who questions your rightness. 0_0

(Good God, I scared myself.)

And, as another villain sometimes mentioned here points out, Donquixote Doflamingo from One Piece, whenever a power struggle ends, whoever is left victorious gets to decide what's right. Definitely, it applies to Light, and I would bet that there are some readers and viewers of Death Note who want Light to decide who's right. Or they're angsty and/or misanthropic like he is.

Or have no sense of humor and are fed up with people who do. I've been around Sonic fans; some of them fall into this category.

MajorZero wrote:
Johan Liebert from Monster, such a great manipulative bastard. Shame two dimensional, one-note characters like Yagami and Makishima made it to the list and he's all but forgotten.

Johan gets a brief mention in the article and has been listed as someone's most memorable anime villain at least three times in this discussion.

He is definitely up there with me too, and he pretty much defines Monster, but he's not at the very top for me.

Hameyadea wrote:
I think my go-to classic "villain you remember" is Uchiha Itachi from Naruto; he had the charisma, abilities, and the mentality (and once spoiler[the truth about him was revealed], I think it added to his overall presence, IMO).

That gave me a thought about which Naruto characters have been listed: So far, it's Itachi, Pain, and Orochimaru. It's a bit amusing, and pretty telling about the directions the series went in towards its endgame, that none of the major adversaries after Pain have been mentioned (Kabuto, Tobi, Madara, Kaguya).

Itachi, Pain, and Orochimaru are more memorable to me than any of those four endgame villains, but I do find Kabuto to be interesting nonetheless because his schtick is that he grows in power at about the same rate as Naruto and Sasuke. While no slouch, he began not much stronger than the other Chunin Exam participants and was no match for anyone decently strong, and by the time he's finally taken down, he's able to control the movements of several Akatsuki simultaneously.
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:57 pm Reply with quote
What makes Light interesting is that he force people to look at what exactly they consider to be a hero and a villain and ultimately show just how meaningless these sticker are. His method were abject and while he claim he had good intention he definitely had a god complex and by the end it seems like that's more important than his intention. But at the same Light probably saved more people than most hero do, even if we look at his action, ie number of save trough his action minus number of people killed by his action, he probably saved far more people than killed, its hard to think about something like ISIS appearing in world where Kira exist.

So what's important to you? Saving people or appearing good? Is people recognition always good? Are all human life equal? Light can be someone hero and someone else villain.
Jobby

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Makoto Itou from School Days. Definitely a bad person.
Lynxikat

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:09 pm Reply with quote
If we go the classic route, for me the most memorable villains are definitely Frieza and Team Rocket.

Despite my heavily mixed feelings on Naruto, when I think of its villains, I immediately think of Itachi, Orochimaru and Pain. The three are very different, and they all pose a major threat to the main characters.

I do have a soft spot for Tobi spoiler[I genuinely do like him, in theory, as a villain because he is Naruto's opposite in a different way than Gaara, Sasuke or even Pain is: he is Naruto who witnessed a tragedy- his loved one's death at the hand of his best friend- that changed him for the negative. He is Naruto if Naruto himself went in a different direction in life. ] HOWEVER, Tobi ultimately spoiler[ being saved by Naruto via his infamous "Talking no Jutsu" ultimately ruins him as a great villain. Here's a guy who has spent 17+ years of his life manipulating and using people (Even to the point of fighting his old mentor and threatening the life of his mentor's newborn infant son) to achieve his goals and what suddenly changes his mind? A chat with a [expletive] teenager. No one can survive Naruto's "Talking no Jutsu." Anime cry ]

Sesshomaru (InuYasha) and Shishio (Rurouni Kenshin) also stick in my mind, too. Sesshomaru was the first "cool villain" I thought was awesome, and Shishio was one of the few 100% totally evil bad guys that I thought was genuinely intimidating.

However, when I first saw the title "Your Most Memorable Villain," my first thought went immediately to Kilgrave from the Jessica Jones Netflix series. I finished the series two months ago, and Kilgrave still sticks in my mind as a great villain.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Lynxikat wrote:
I do have a soft spot for Tobi spoiler[I genuinely do like him, in theory, as a villain because he is Naruto's opposite in a different way than Gaara, Sasuke or even Pain is: he is Naruto who witnessed a tragedy- his loved one's death at the hand of his best friend- that changed him for the negative. He is Naruto if Naruto himself went in a different direction in life. ] HOWEVER, Tobi ultimately spoiler[ being saved by Naruto via his infamous "Talking no Jutsu" ultimately ruins him as a great villain. Here's a guy who has spent 17+ years of his life manipulating and using people (Even to the point of fighting his old mentor and threatening the life of his mentor's newborn infant son) to achieve his goals and what suddenly changes his mind? A chat with a [expletive] teenager. No one can survive Naruto's "Talking no Jutsu." Anime cry ]

To be fair, the same thing happened to Pain, and no one seems to mind.
Paul D. Atreides

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:43 am Reply with quote
I disagree about Madara Uchiha. I think he is memorable, the thing is I wanted to include one villain from Naruto and looking at the series overall I went with Pain considering that his conflict with Naruto was such a huge stepping stone in Naruto's character development.

The thing I like about Madara is that unlike Tobi his backstory seemed much more inspired. Instead of a tragic 180 turn it was a slow progression over time towards evil. spoiler[Both he and Hashimara had grown up in war and desired a solution that would bring peace. But whilst Hashirama was confident in that there was hope Madara always had doubts, and eventually came to the conclusion that peace was simply impossible because people's grudges would never go away.] In a way they were both right.

That's my opinion at least, since my feelings on Naruto have never been mixed Wink
Sylontack

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:52 am Reply with quote
Hellsoldier wrote:
-Hamdo from Now and Then Here and There: Genocide and other war crime... he's done them all.

I definitely agree with this one. As an individual he's not much of a villain, the man is a sniveling loser with no spine. But he's a loser with ambition in a position of power. That's a recipe for disaster and something not unlike the constant fear instilled by leaders of some countries. The villain doesn't have to be smart and calculating to be terrifying- they just have to have power and ambitions far grander than their own spine, because his own cowardice is what allows him to do the things he does in his position. Which is super messed up. I genuinely think if humanity ever reaches 100% dystopia which is unlikely but not impossible; it won't be a calm and calculated overlord, it'll be someone like Hamdo.
tintor2

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Fuma Monou goes in my list. He has caused earthquakes everywhere and kill people saying it was their wish. The "train conductor" from Baccano! is horrible.

Also, Aizen, Pain/Nagato and Orochimaru make good villains.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7