• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Most Memorable Anime Villain

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chito895

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:42 pm Reply with quote
On top of my head, there's Kyubey. I can't forget that little guy because he really was scary, and he didn't even had to do anything gross or violent. The only thing he did was tell the truth in the most bold, expresionless way possible: At one minute, you're a magical girl fighting the evil, and after this dude speaks, you're just a spoiler[puppet with not soul].

Then, in a more violent sense, there is Ryoko Asakura from the Haruhi Suzumiya series, who is not as deep as other villains, but she was the only one who made me scream like a little bitch when spoiler[she appeared from nowhere and stabbed Kyon during the last part of the Disappearance movie. The way she was speaking and her facial expression were horrifying. I felt like Nagato at that moment.]

And I don't know if she's a villain per se, but one of my personal choices (as well as one of my favorite characters) would be Ougi Oshino. Poking at the characters weaknesses, making fun of Araragi, and what I love/hate most about her is her never-ending mocking, ironic tone of voice. She knows everything, and her sense of superiority over anyone she's speaking to is overwhelming. God bless Hanekawa for being the only one who can face her as equal.
Videogamep

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Mine would be spoiler[Aizen] from Bleach and Father from FMAB. Both of them are really intimidating, both because of their power and how deep their plans go. In both cases, it's most of the series before they're even mildly inconvenienced and neither of them are even injured until the end. Neither of them are particularly complex, but they feel completely unbeatable until the end and provide excellent enemies. Father is probably better because he's at least a bit more complex and generally better written, but I included spoiler[Aizen] because of how similar they are in a lot of ways.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Merxamers

XChampion wrote:

Now my most memorable villian who is actually the antagonist is Orochimaru in Naruto. He just made my skin crawl. He was just so wonderfully written by Kishimoto.

Word; i came into Naruto only recently as a jaded anime fan, but Orochimaru's introduction was stellar. 'Skin-crawling' is absolutely right; there's something really unsettling about him.
Mohawk52

Tenchi Muyo's Kagato, anyone? Wink
Black Thunder 6

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:48 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:

I've never seen Psycho-Pass so I'm just imagining a mustache twirling version of Satoshi "Human Database" Fukube from Hyouka right now.

"This society is trapped within the iron walls of its own judicial system where one cannot think or breathe without being watched, where the system seperates the working class from the sloths as a means to better are environment" - by the way I've been reading this paperback book called 1984 its quite an interesting read *wink*wink*nudge*nudge*

Repeat that for 19 episodes and that's basically his character, Urobuchi's bad habits all rolled into one.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:55 pm Reply with quote
There's so many memorable anime villains, from the mustache-twirling evil overlords like Freeza in DBZ or King Hamdo in NTHT, to mastermind schemers like Komei from Giant Robo, to sociopaths just looking for a good time like Ladd Russo in Baccano, to revolutionary extremists like Kuze from Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd Gig, to enigmatic crazies like Johan in Monster.

Any villain played by Norio Wakamoto stands out if only for being voiced by him. Cell, Kagato, Emperor Charles, Alexander Anderson,... Victoreem (CATCH MY HEART! VERY MELON!). The guy knows how to breath villainy into his roles.

But I think my possible favorite anime villain is Greed from Fullmetal Alchemist, a punkish, snarky, rambunctious, jaunty, but ambitious homunculus looking for eternal life. I like that he has a certain set of values and is willing to make partnerships to get his goals, and is actually pretty friendly most of the time, despite being fairly ruthless. I've never really understood the point of "greed" in itself, but he casts it in an interesting light. He can probably be seen as an anti-villain, given his team-up with the protagonists, but whatever group he sides with, he's always Greed.

Props also for style.

I'd also give mentions to characters like Char Aznable, Paptimus Scirocco, Yazan Gable, Ali al Sarchaz, Master Asia, Prime Minister Wong, Full Frontal, and other Gundam antagonists that help make that franchise interesting.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
PinKunoichi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:01 pm Reply with quote
The D-Reaper from Digimon Tamers, and Ren Gyokuen (especially in the later manga chapters) from Magi definitely need to be mentioned somewhere. The former for the atrocities caused in a show that made one wonder how it got aired on a Saturday Morning Cartoon block, and the latter for being a rare well written female villain who makes you sympathize with everyone she's been in contact with.

Last edited by PinKunoichi on Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ongaku_no_tenshi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:08 pm Reply with quote
My bottom jaw almost hit the floor when I saw Tenshi ni Narumon! in the list of shows in this article.

I couldn't agree with with Rebecca more. Silky is my most memorable anime villain, as well. Silky truly was the thread (no pun intended) and driving force behind the entire show. And she did a damn fine job of embodying those things in the way she manipulated and unraveled character ties and situations throughout the show while barely lifting a finger.

Also, thank you, Rebecca. I'm so glad Tenshi ni Narumon! is still remembered. It was a pleasure to read your insert. Doing my best to keep hope alive for a full release in the U.S. someday.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Yes! Dilandau's on the list! He's the most memorable anime villain in my book! Very Happy
Valhern

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Oh boy.

As many have said, I would include Griffith as well. If there is something that makes him stand out over any other villain is that we see him grow as one alongside the hero, the time in which he backstabs the hero, we ourselves feel backstabbed as well. All he does throughout the series looks cool and badass, we as audience and readers are lead right into Griffith's charm as a "hero", and we simply cannot believe that the same actions actually make him a villain, no, a SUPER villain. I felt the same rage as Guts going through all those damn demons, for the reason I wrote and others but that'd be another topic.

To name more, I'd like to point out villains such as Sensui from Yu Yu Hakusho, Kotomine Kirei from Fate/Stay Night (not Zero, I like him way more in Stay Night), Eto (if you consider her at least an antagonist) from Tokyo Ghoul, Hao from Shaman King's manga, Garou from OnePunch Man, and, well there are more but if I had to pick one I really like with no doubts:

Meruem, Hunter x Hunter.
I could go on and on about Meruem (or any of Togashi's villains, for that matter), but I really love that everything around him was placed nicely and clear. His objective isn't one born just because he is a bad jerk, it's born from a wish of a species to survive and achieve greatness, like humans have done, and humans have mostly done what Meruem and the Chimera Ants set themselves to do, but at the end of the day, thue humans did it first, and what Meruem didn't know was that part of the human's path of the victory WAS their own selfishness and evilness, and all the atrocities humans have comitted in life also go in hand with the greatest things human can have (such as love, compassion, etc.)

Ultimately, Meruem knew only of the latter through Komugi, and had his ideals set on truly making the best world where the strong protects and allows the weak to grow, thinking that sweeping the world off 'bad' humans would stop his own system from ending corrupted by even the apparently 'good' ants, and we know that not all his servants had the same track of thought.

Honestly, lot of humans have thought that their system would be perfect and flawless, but Netero has shown us the other side that allows the humans to survive through the years, nasty as it may be.
Barciad

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Thing about anime is that all the truly great characters over the years happen to have been anti-heroes. For example, Char Aznable, Captain Harlock, and Lupin III. Things were very rarely cut and dried. Even the most vile of individuals either 'had their reasons' (notably Ikumi Oze from Infinite Ryvius) or 'changed sides' (just about everyone in Naruto) at some point towards the end. But then again, that has always been the appeal.
However, there has been the odd exception.
'Vicious' from 'Cowboy Bebop' was a great villain. A shame he was in only five episodes.
On the other hand, 'Hamdo' (from 'Now and then, Here and There') dominated proceedings from start to finish. Whether you wanted that twisted psycho to or not.
The first half of 'Vision of Escaflowne' was all about 'Dilandau' and what insane thing she would do next.
'Maestro Delphine Eracle' only appeared and the very end of 'Last Exile' , but it was well worth the wait.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:25 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
Yes! Dilandau's on the list! He's the most memorable anime villain in my book! Very Happy
Only memorable because spoiler[he wasn't a "he" at all. ] Wink
Levitz9

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Myotismon, from Digimon Adventure, because the scum-sucker actually kicks kittens. Seriously, he was such a slimeball and I was so happy to see him destroyed both in Adventure and in 02 as the final boss.
trilaan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Even after all this time my answer is Legato Bluesummers from Trigun. Even though he's not the main antagonist, he's the most prominent with the most terrifying power and a near unparalleled hatred of Mankind and, even though the anime version pales next to the manga version, he's still anime's most terrifying villain to me.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:35 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Victoreem (CATCH MY HEART! VERY MELON!). The guy knows how to breath villainy into his roles.

We can but salute any villain who is compelled to sing about fruit melting in his mouth—of all things—rather than basking in his supposed moment of triumph.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7