• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Outlaw Star

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GVman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:41 am Reply with quote
I'm glad to see that I wasn't the only one who was underwhelmed by the ending of the show. To be entirely honest, I found the very beginning and ending portions to be the worst bits. The middle stretch, when it was focused on episodic hijinks rather than telling a a continuous story, were great fun. I even loved the much-bemoaned hot springs episode. However, all the beginning stuff with Hilda honestly feels very rote. Zac and the gang's complaints about the ending mirror my own; much of it feels undeserved. I guess that's why I never really felt like going back to it; the meat of it wasn't the good part.

As for the art style, I'd much rather see more stuff like this than 90% of the junk made today. Anime anymore just looks like it's been covered in plastic wrap. I'll take the dirty-lookin' old stuff any day. Tiger Mask from 1969 is, in my opinion, one of the most aesthetically pleasing shows out there. Anime today just can't compare.

Note that I'm not talking about the animation. While I do love how Tiger Mask moves, that's another story for another time.
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:34 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Oh man... I remember this...
This was Ayako Kawasumi's debut role as Melfina. Brings back memories...

Man, remember how CN screwed up a little, and removed the fanservice episode? And then left people wondering where the heck those super-special shell came from? Clever move, having a plot point in the hot springs episode.

you cant be surprised by that considering the time it was released. there was no way they were gonna show that bath episode on toonami. hell there was no way it would even show on adult swim without serious censorship that would make the otaku community cringe like there's nobody's business. especially since it was censorship that doomed gundam seed when it shows on toonami instead of AS. so it made sense to completely skip the whole episode since its technically a filler episode and not cannon related to the story.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:15 am Reply with quote
I really enjoyed Outlaw Star. One of the better 90s anime, even if it definitely stands in the shadow of Cowboy Bebop. It was a super fun space adventure show with great spaceships and some compelling concepts.

I remember buying the VHS tape with the hot springs episode and even using a clip from it in a high school presentation about Japanese culture in anime (it was a clean clip, just the bit with the hot springs water in the train). I must've watched that episode a million times. And for the humor, thank you very much.

GVman wrote:
Anime anymore just looks like it's been covered in plastic wrap.

True, but it was worse in the early 00s with the advent of digipaint. It's one of the (numerous) reasons I can't stand Gundam SEED. The colors and surface textures are just eye hurting.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
GVman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Oh yes, the early aughts were a great deal worse. Stuff was just plain ugly then. I'm glad those days are gone.

I think what gets me the most with Gundam SEED is all the shots of things moving onscreen where they're just digitally sliding the still image of a spaceship with no actual movement. That stuff takes the cake in terms of awful. It doesn't look near as bad on cel animation when stuff like that is done. When it's done digitally, though, it's just as jarring as really terrible CGI appearing out of nowhere.
Joe Carpenter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:32 pm Reply with quote
I've always thought of Outlaw Star as Cowboy Bebop's little brother, it's no masterpiece like Bebop but it's a very fun series and the crazier context of the space aliens and whatnot gives it a unique advantage over Bebop's more grounded sci fi world.

I actually remember the night it premiered on Toonami (which was 15 years ago now, damn), it was by far the most edgy thing they had ever played up to that point and I remember being impressed despite the edits.

As for the infamous hot springs episode, it's funny because it's comparatively mild, the girls are scantily clad and you see Aisha topless at one point, that's about it, obviously that wouldn't fly on Toonami, but there's anime with way worse out there.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:27 am Reply with quote
Outlaw Star was/is fantastic. I LOVE the intro to each episode that gives extra backstory and world-building. I love all the characters and their growth. I love the sense of "emptiness" space had in the show. The show had real grit too. It's the kind of futuristic world I'd like to live in. It always felt like the Wild West but not too much- a good mix. I always disliked the ending but I do think the relationship between Melfina and Gene were the true story and how they both basically found purpose at the end. Best of all, it was just a purely fun show. The music is also timeless IMO..and of course the artwork is just fantastic. Akino Arai's theme songs are still among my absolute favorite. It's one of the few shows I'll always look back at and smile. I'm glad I picked up the DVDs a decade ago, but I'll definitely be after the blurays.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3