• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Live-Action Ghost in the Shell Film Switches Distributors from Disney to Paramount

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ReifuTD

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:22 pm Reply with quote
FLCLGainax wrote:
The switch from Disney was probably for the better. I could not imagine them releasing this and not watering down the source material for a PG-13.

can't remember was the comic that violet? or are you talking about the 98 movie? Then you have Stand Alone Complex witch safely be a PG 13.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:47 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
If the Terminator movies can no longer hack it at the box office when they're PG-13, then there's no chance in hell GITS will be R.

To be fair, a lot of people blame that movie's disappointing box office on it's PG-13 rating. It made the fanbase far more skeptical about it (and they were right).
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:05 pm Reply with quote
I'd rather see it cancelled than some cobbled together piece of trash in the same vein as the new RoboCop or Total Recall. If it turns out good, then I'll be surprised and awed, but I really can't see that happening. We can't get a Mad Max that often.
CCTakato

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Isinfier wrote:
I'm surprised that Netflix haven't jumped at the opportunity of a live-action adaptation of a popular anime yet. GitS would have been the perfect place to start, given the success of Daredevil and Jessica Jones.

Maybe something more... vicious and surreal. Claymore?
I'd like to see Netflix make a live action Psycho Pass. That seems like the type of show that would translate well into live action and I seem to remember the creators of Psycho Pass intentionally made the show so it could also work as a live action setting.
TimothyB

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Lycosyncer wrote:
As for Ghost in the Shell, since the cast and crew are all set up, this thing is definitely not going to get cancelled unlike the multiple failed attempts with that live action Akira movie.

I can confirm it is 100% going ahead, the company I work for is supplying gear for it and I've sent some of the gear to Auckland for it myself!
jdnation

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Netflix should do Cowboy Bebop. A good mix of contemporary and futuristic stuff so it wouldn't be too big of a budget except for when Spike is dogfighting in his Swordfish, but those times are much rarer. Most of the time it's on a contemporary looking planet.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:33 pm Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:
Netflix should do Cowboy Bebop. A good mix of contemporary and futuristic stuff so it wouldn't be too big of a budget except for when Spike is dogfighting in his Swordfish, but those times are much rarer. Most of the time it's on a contemporary looking planet.

If anime must be adapted to live action, high budget cable and premium is pretty much the only way to accomplish the goals. Less censorship and more general freedom to revel in the genre without having to be so worried about weekly viewership.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:15 am Reply with quote
I'm still going to give this movie a chance so I'll go see Ghost in the Shell when it's released in theaters besides It makes much more sense to have Paramount as the Distributor rather than Disney. Smile
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:10 am Reply with quote
Ah, the game of musical chairs. Will the real producer please standup! Rolling Eyes
I give this specific production till summer to get all the ducks in a row or death awaits... Again.
GitS and Akira are the Lazarus of the adaptation world. Or the Rip Van Winkle. Does anyone have and update of the "upcoming" MGS film?

We will also be flooded with Mad Max a-likes if the film manages to win big next month.
That franchise is even one of the most copied in general. Wasteland/Fallout, Fist of the North Star (and thus Berserk!), that 2-Pac video, this week´s Osomatsu-san,... The bestselling Fury Road DC/Vertigo tie-in comic had a few good tales btw.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:43 pm Reply with quote
I was expecting Disney to pull out sooner or later. A Disney/DreamWorks partnership is a disaster waiting to happen, considering DreamWorks was founded specifically to antagonize Disney.

Isinfier wrote:
I'm surprised that Netflix haven't jumped at the opportunity of a live-action adaptation of a popular anime yet. GitS would have been the perfect place to start, given the success of Daredevil and Jessica Jones.

Maybe something more... vicious and surreal. Claymore?

Whatever happened to Guillermo del Toro's live-action adaptation of Monster?
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:06 am Reply with quote
Forgot: @Animeking1108 Down and Out in Beverly Hills was Disney's first R-rated film in 1986.
They own Touchstone Pictures after all and i would be surprised if we got an R-rated GitS (even if this production survives) or anime anything with a real budget any time soon.

The Guillermo del Toro curse happened to Monster Wink.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2