• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Nintendo Comments on Changes in Western Localization of Fire Emblem Fates

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Knowing that the censoring of the "magic potion" scene was bound to attract controversy, I'm not surprised that Nintendo of America would attempt to justify it by emitting a half-baked response. It makes no difference, anyway; the damage has been done already, all thanks to a group of translators than misinterpreted the scene...
Johan Eriksson 9003

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:32 pm Reply with quote
KinoCowboy wrote:
Blankslate wrote:
If people are fighting to keep date-rape and conversion therapy in the game, people need to get their priorities straight; these things aren't good in ANY context.

Please go up a few posts and read my original post. There is NO date-rape or gay conversion even IMPLIED, if you actually read the conversations.

Yeah, no. That was a very long and flimsy way to excuse some shitty homophobia. You didn't fool anyone.
Gasero

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:59 pm Reply with quote
I don't think Fire Emblem would get much popular press about this scene because the series doesn't usually reach mainstream media.

That being said, it's probably not a good time to release a game with scenes implying that a character was 'cosbied', and the perpetrator was not confronted about it.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:23 pm Reply with quote
johan.eriksson.9003 wrote:
Yeah, no. That was a very long and flimsy way to excuse some shitty homophobia. You didn't fool anyone.

An in-depth analysis of the magic potion situation reveals that no homophobia has ever occurred...
Shenl742

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:

An in-depth analysis of the magic potion situation reveals that no homophobia has ever occurred...

I still find that all problematic!

1-Soleil's "problem" is that she finds girls attractive. She sees it as a flaw and a hindrance in her social life.

2-She is still slipped a potion which alters her perceptions, against her will, even if it was to "help" her.

3-In the end her troubles are solved when she falls in love with the male protagonist.

All of this, no matter the intent, still sounds incredibly dodgy to me.
Johan Eriksson 9003

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:

Yeah. Still not fooling anyone. It is still creepy to slip something in a supposed friend's drink, and it is still homophobic to have a character who has so far clearly been interested in the same sex suddenly fall in love with a man after making her see said man as a woman. It doesn't matter how you analyze it, that shit still reads as conversion therapy to a lot of people and justifiably so. There are many ways of analyzing a scene in media, and one interpretation is seldom more correct than the other. But if you have to TRY this desperately to see this as something non-offensive, it is a pretty good sign that the developers fucked up. Quite frankly, I don't think you are the least bit qualified to tell anyone what they should find offensive or demeaning.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Quite frankly, I don't think you are the least bit qualified to tell anyone what they should find offensive or demeaning.

I'm pretty sure that I never said anything about what you should or shouldn't be offended by...
Johan Eriksson 9003

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
Quite frankly, I don't think you are the least bit qualified to tell anyone what they should find offensive or demeaning.

I'm pretty sure that I never said anything about what you should or shouldn't be offended by...

Fine, let me rephrase that. You are not qualified to tell anyone affected by homophobia what is or isn't homophobic.
sharkjack

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:

An in-depth analysis of the magic potion situation reveals just on how many fronts homophobia occurred in the game and the surrounding 'controversy'.

Like seriously. You don't get to write a character that puts mind altering substances in peoples drink without their consent and then put that in a positive, sympathetic light without it being cause to raise serious objections over homophobia. You just don't.

It's fine if the presence of that doesn't bother you, or if you want to buy the game regardless, but conversely everyone who doesn't want to buy a game that treats same sex attractions this way is absolutely justified to not buy the game and encourage others to do the same.
Chester McCool

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:58 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
JDude042 wrote:
It's just a video game, not real life, when is Nintendo gonna grow up and stop treating everyone like children?

When gamers at large stop acting like children.

This is why I always laugh when people call me a weeaboo for only playing Japanese games. After seeing this kind of stuff on a daily basis, they still act like its a bad thing to not partake in this kind of mud slinging and childish arguments.

I remember when that Kotaku article was linked on Japanese websites last year. Everyone was really confused about what they are getting upset over and making fun of us spoiler[which is nothing new Anime cry] I still remember all those threads laughing at our 4kids adaptions. I wonder why even anime is more respected and unaltered then video games here
KinoCowboy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:58 pm Reply with quote

What? Homophobia? Are you serious? Again the problem of poor reading comprehension rears its ugly head...
Johan Eriksson 9003

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:11 pm Reply with quote
KinoCowboy wrote:

What? Homophobia? Are you serious? Again, the problem of poor reading comprehension rears its ugly head...

Yes, homophobia. People who have had to deal with straight people trying to "fix" them have found that a scene where a gay woman is made to see a man as a female and then falls in love with him is homophobic, and they have made far more convincing arguments for their case than you. I will tell you the same thing I told Oshawott. You are not even remotely qualified to tell gay people what is or isn't homophobic. Their "reading comprehension" of a scene like this will always be worth infinitely more than yours.

And setting aside how shitty it is to speak over gay people on this, it is very arrogant to act as if there is only one way of reading this scene and every interpretation other than your own is just "poor reading comprehension".

Anyway, I'm not interested in debating this further with you. The people whose opinion actually matters to me have already made themselves clear.
Chester McCool

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:27 pm Reply with quote
. You are not even remotely qualified to tell gay people what is or isn't homophobic. Their "reading comprehension" of a scene like this will always be worth infinitely more than yours.

And setting aside how shitty it is to speak over gay people on this, it is very arrogant to act as if there is only one way of reading this scene and every interpretation other than your own is just "poor reading comprehension".

Anyway, I'm not interested in debating this further with you. The people whose opinion actually matters to me have already made themselves clear.

It's entirely possible for homosexual people to be wrong in a debate. It seems really misguided to throw away actual arguments and debates and just rely on someone's sexual preference. It's very disingenuous
Shenl742

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:29 pm Reply with quote
I'm at least going to give the game's creators the benefit of a doubt that when they this character/scenario they didn't actually intend for it to be read as homophobic.

But intent and outcome don't always go hand in hand, and this unfortunately does smack of some lack of understanding and ignorance, rather than outright malice.
KinoCowboy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:40 pm Reply with quote

Debating? You called my lengthy explanation "shitty homophobia" and then proceeded to tell me my points are irrelevant because you think I'm not gay. Does that pass for debating these days?
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6