• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: One-Punch Man

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Rika Hue wrote:
Okay, everything good and bad has already been said, so I'm just going to skip over that and jump straight to season 2 speculation:

So I know Mad House is infamous for NOT doing season 2's, but money talks, right? So if the O-P Man BDs sell well, I'm sure Mad House will consider it. I mean it's not impossible, since Mad House is the studio behind Ace of Diamond, and that's been airing for more than two years now. Granted, AoD ha sponsors, but maybe O-P Man can get sponsors too. Pizza Hut FTW.

Conclusion: I do not believe that there will not be a season 2.

This again. Death Note got a full run of 37 epsodes, Black Lagoon got 2 seasons and an OVA, Hunter X Hunter got 140+ episodes and and a movie... Every hit show Madhouse has made (The ones that made money, not stuff like Overlord) has gotten a second season. I don't know why this meme continues to exist.

Last edited by v1cious on Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:19 pm; edited 5 times in total
Somewhere

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Given that it's Shueisha and manga sales got a big boost, it's reasonable to assume an eventual second season. The trickier part here is that the Murata version doesn't have enough content yet. He's inspired to work even harder though. So maybe in another... 1.5 or 2 years?

Gasero wrote:
I agree with the people who were not impressed by the main battle in the finale. I understand that Saitama is supposed to be overpowered, but he was practically a punching bag for the entire battle until he decided to hit back. His challenge never seemed to escalate.

That's not impressive to watch, especially when most of the battle is superspeed and lasers that are less impressive than actual hand-to-hand combat. At some point I would have liked to see Saitama have to strategize to win.

You have to remember Saitama's function/purpose in the setting. He'll never be sufficiently challenged until possibly the very end of the story.
Honestly? It's for the better. What Saitama does in lieu of fighting harder in the next major fight exemplifies one of the things I love about ONE's writing.
Rika Hue

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:29 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:

This again. Death Note got a full run of 37 epsodes, Black Lagoon got 2 seasons and an OVA, Hunter X Hunter got 140+ episodes and and a movie... Every hit show Madhouse has made (The ones that made money, not stuff like Overlord) has gotten a second season. I don't know why this meme continues to exist.

Haha sorry if I missed a previous discussions on this. But thank you for enlightening me, I'm glad you agree! As long as One Punch Man makes money (which I'm sure it will), it will get a season 2.
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:57 pm Reply with quote
I have mixed feeling for the last episode.

The fight scene was visually very interesting, but at the same time did a lot of giant laser with repeated frame. But, then again, when they did move around it was great. The stakes were also incredibly low, we all knew Saitama would win in one punch, that's the entire joke/premise of the show. The problem is the show also pretty much abandoned any hope of being a comedy, there were maybe a grand total of 3 joke in the entire episode. A show that many view as a parody of shonen anime had its last episode be a straight shonen anime...

Ultimately OPM is a great show, but not one for the age for me. All the animation were great, but they would have been great in almost any story. The premise, character and everything else didn't add any interesting context to the masterfully crafted fight scene. If anything they detracted from it since we knew full well it was just firework and that Saitama would always win the day.

I think the show should have decided what it wanted to be from the beginning and stick with it. Either a parody/comedy or a serious shonen, both have potential. But this starting as comedy just to slowly slide to straight shonen just kinda gave the worst of both world.
Valhern

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:43 pm Reply with quote
I can only pray for Murata's hand to work as fast (and godly) as possible to end the current big arc so we'll see it animated.

meiam wrote:
I have mixed feeling for the last episode.

The fight scene was visually very interesting, but at the same time did a lot of giant laser with repeated frame. But, then again, when they did move around it was great. The stakes were also incredibly low, we all knew Saitama would win in one punch, that's the entire joke/premise of the show. The problem is the show also pretty much abandoned any hope of being a comedy, there were maybe a grand total of 3 joke in the entire episode. A show that many view as a parody of shonen anime had its last episode be a straight shonen anime...

Are you sure you watched this? Saitama did not win in one punch, the first one destroyed Boros' armor, the second one blew his arm off (and he recognizes that Boros is pretty strong after he endured that one), a third one made him cough up blood, then he threw a flurry of punches which still not did the job, and after that it really was the serious punch, and even so Boros managed to get his brains attached to his body, Saitama himself is impressed, he is also impressed when he is blown away to the moon.

We can agree to disagree but, what you see as a bunch of lasers (?) is not more than one minute long and there are brief shots of every clash inside the ship, outside, when Boros uses his Meteoric Burst, the idea is for you to get a sight of both the scenery and the characters, plus there are constantly explosive cuts, which are suppposed to be even more amazing since the minimal detail allows it to be drawn as if they are going full speed. It's true that they use repetitive frames at least three times, 1) when Boros punches Saitama repeteadly and Saitama fends them off 2) before Boros kickes Saitama to the moon 3) when Saitama comes back and Boros lashes out at him. But they are so short and done so fast that it's almost non-noticieable, just like Hokuto no Ken/JoJo's flurry of punches.

The actual light-fest is when Boros lashes out his final attack, and I don't see how it is not astounding.

Moreover, I don't feel that knowing that Saitama will win takes anything out of the fight, HOW in this case is way more important, and to which extents can Saitama put such a deadpan face and what can even impress him (this is repeated thoroughly in both manga and webcomic) is part of the joke, whether they can win or not is for other heroes...and Boros, the face he makes when he sees Saitama coming back from space is funny as hell. And no, it doesn't end as a straight shonen anime, in a common shonen anime they pretend to put a sense of suspense of "Can the protagonist win?! What will they pull out of their ass?" We already know they will win, but they try to convince us they are in real danger, some shonen anime do it better than others, and some prioritize other things aside of who wins, OPM is the case.

This is not a very good argument since obviously you haven't read further, but it only gets deeper from here, Saitama questioning Boros for destroying planets only to fight someone is a good conclusion out of this for Saitama's character, but that's just the tip, same going for the rest of the cast.
2Nami

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:26 pm Reply with quote
WIth my luck, there will never be an S2.
Amazing anime, beautifully weaving comedy and action together with unique characters. I hope for more.
dxthegreat

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Great final ep. Exhilirating action scenes, though not the choreographic thrill we saw in ep1.

It's a shame Boros... If only your kick was angled 1 degree off, you would have won the fight
velimirius

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:46 am Reply with quote
Along Death Parade my fav show for this year and in general. Was absolute pleasure watching it.
Rika Hue

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:31 pm Reply with quote
I've followed the sakuga posts recently, and in this final episode I noticed that all of the aforementioned One Punch Man animators had a hand in this episode. You could see so many different animation styles during different portions of the fight, each only a few seconds long. So I really do think that Madhouse brought their best animation to the table this episode. I don't think Mad House just took one great animator and let him handle the entire fighting scene, but they let all the great animators have their own time to shine.

Also, just to be clear about something: I went back to watch the fight scene two more times, and I saw that the 'pink lasers' were from Boros's shining hair when he went into his powered-up form. It wasn't like in Dragonball Z where both characters become simple beams of light. No, it was more intricate than that. You have Saitama moving around so fast he looks like a 'line', and then you have Boros chasing him, but you follow him by the light of his hair. Plus, the 'lines' they move in are squiggly and not that straight forward (if that makes sense). And I think that's PRETTY GREAT.

If I had anything to complain about about the animation in this episode, it would imply that I see better animation than that on a regular basis. I'm not that spoilt with quality, so this episode 12 of the 'Over-Powered Man' was a real treat!
sunflower

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:41 pm Reply with quote
I was a bit disappointed in this last episode too. The fight animation was beautiful, but in past fights I either felt an emotional connection to what was happening, or at least a comedic enjoyment. Saitama's fights don't hold any suspense because we all know what will happen, so something else had to be put into play for them to matter to me. So I was a little sad, especially with the depressing second half of the show.

Btw, to whoever said it, this fight doesn't top the the fight at the end of Daredevil episode 2 for sheer guts and making you feel every hit. And frankly, having just watched 'Is it wrong to try to pick up girls etc', for emotional stakes and character it doesn't come close to the fight with the minotaur in episode 8 of that show.
Marc Romagosa

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:59 pm Reply with quote
"Sure, it's sad that his heart's not really into it because he's so disgusted by Boros's perspective as a rival, but at least the showdown forces him to get serious on a physical level if nothing else."

How do you miss the point THIS badly? I mean, maybe you have to read source material since the anime skips the details, but if you're writing an overview of something that people can just watch anyway, shouldn't you do that?

The panning of Sweet Mask is pretty harsh too. His viewpoint may not be as noble as Licenceless Rider, but it's infinitely more pragmatic. The hero association isn't actually that elegant of a system, and it needs people like him who are dedicated to making things work.

One part I agree with is the eagerness for season 2 though. If this is what Madhouse did with the Boros fight, it'll be amazing to see what they do with Garou.
Souther

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:18 pm Reply with quote
The thing is though, Mask's attempts at making things work suck. He shits on everyone's efforts and labels them as weak, he acts as a gatekeeper between S and A rankers, deliberately denying people opportunities, and the kicker is, he's never actually there, he's somewhere else plugging himself when the bad shit's going down. I wouldn't consider someone who's never there, and only turns up at the end when the grunt work's done to shit on you, dedicated by any means.

The funny thing about Boros and Saitama is both were seeking the ultimate opponent, but Boros's wish was fulfilled instead.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Boros's wish was *partially* fulfilled. What Boros wanted, and what Saitama wants, is an all-out fight between evenly matched opponents. Boros was able to go all-out, but Saitama was not. At first, Boros was happy about the fight, even though he lost, but then he realized that despite him pouring out his soul into the fight, Saitama hadn't really been challenged. He saw that Saitama, in an effort to let Boros go out on a satisfied not, had lied about how difficult the fight had been for him. Since Boros had been suffering the same lack of competition that Saitama had, he surely realized how unhappy that had to have made Saitama, and probably understood that Saitama was being a "good guy" by trying to let Boros die thinking it really had been an evenly-matched duke-out to the end.

As for Sweet Mask... the man is scum. He embodies all the worst elements of the Hero Association's system. Thankfully, most of the more powerful heroes don't agree with his ideals, but I suspect that eventually he'll become an obstacle for Saitama, though obviously not a physical obstacle. It was... nice to see how the other top-level heroes responded to his BS.
Marc Romagosa

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Souther wrote:
he acts as a gatekeeper between S and A rankers, deliberately denying people opportunities
Thereby making the system work.
Quote:
he's never actually there, he's somewhere else plugging himself
You do realize that the hero association gets all its money from donations, and as A-rank 1, promoting himself is also promoting the hero association? He's pragmatic.

Quote:
The funny thing about Boros and Saitama is both were seeking the ultimate opponent, but Boros's wish was fulfilled instead.
Boros didn't seem too happy when he realized that Saitama was essentially just humoring him, though.
Souther

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:26 pm Reply with quote
There's a time and a place to promote yourself. You don't promote yourself during an alien invasion that's wiping out the city or when a sea monster's planning on killing people. Rush over there and do your job. And I agree with you guys on Boros, Boros didn't quite get what he wanted.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 20 of 21