• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Digimon Adventure tri. Episodes 1-4 Streaming

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Otaking09

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:04 pm Reply with quote
I don't expect this to be as good as the series highpoints (Adventure, Tamers and Data Squad), but nonetheless I expect it to solid entertainment. As for the qualms about its dub or how it'll retcon Adventure 2:
1. The dubs have always been well acted and faithful to the core story so as it'll be as good as the show's content will be.
2. Adventure 2 was mostly good because it referenced the 1st show characters for a large majority of the running time before having a spoiler[last minute "twist" ending] that justifiably made it a sequel to begin with.
Having an alternate sequel in the fashion Tri. is going for is more of a fitting sequel than Adventure 2 was since we're focusing on the old characters first instead of the new ones.

Since each film is divided into 4 parts I'll try 2.5 amount (for a total of 10 episodes) before I dive into the show and make an official stance.
Purpadude

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Otaking09 wrote:
1. The dubs have always been well acted and faithful to the core story so as it'll be as good as the show's content will be.

I would pay anything for a physical release with the old dub cast and sound treatment.
Mune

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:38 pm Reply with quote
I have some questions for this:

spoiler[1. Taichi (Tai) likes Sora and it seems that Sora is debating which she likes more. In the original Japanese version, she only seemed to like Yoshida (Matt). Whereas, the American version created the love triangle. Are the creators going off of the American version as a way to generate the interest and possibly keep it canon for an American version of Tri?

2. It showed the main characters from Adventure 02, but it looked like they were defeated or something. Plus, no one even decided to try to contact them. Are they not part of the team as well? Will we find out what happened to them?

3. All the champion fighting. Come on! If you're having issues, why not go to the perfect form (Ultimate level) or higher? It was only when Alphamon showed up did they decide to finally go beyond and not just a little, but all the way to Omegamon (Omnimon). Not once did Tailmon (Gatomon) advance or regress to anything else.

4. Koushiro (Izzy) liking Mimi. I always thought Jou (Joe), who apparently has a girlfriend, was somehow interested in Mimi back in season 1? I get that Koushiro (Izzy) is closer to Mimi throughout the previous series and I'm glad it is being developed.

5. Why does Koushiro (Izzy) talk so much when no one seems to notice him when they are under the bridge theorizing why the events are occurring?]

Overall, it was pretty good, a little slow, but good. I can't wait to watch more and see what happens next!
Yarden

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:13 pm Reply with quote
I was very skeptical about these movies given how much wasted potential Sailor Moon Crystal was. However, I was very pleased with what I saw even if the animation was lacking at points. I liked how the dialogue and interactions felt true to the original series.

What was the budget for the project? I loved the artwork although I noticed a lot of static pedestrians in the background and the fight scenes didn't move as fluid as they did in the Digimon Movie.

It seemed really weird that the movie was released in a TV episode like format for Crunchyroll. Is the series supposed to be a movie or a television show? Maybe the creators don't even know. Maybe it's supposed to be both?

Quote:
spoiler[1. Taichi (Tai) likes Sora and it seems that Sora is debating which she likes more. In the original Japanese version, she only seemed to like Yoshida (Matt). Whereas, the American version created the love triangle. Are the creators going off of the American version as a way to generate the interest and possibly keep it canon for an American version of Tri?]

spoiler[I got the same impression that Sora is trying to decide between Matt and Tai. However, it wasn't clear to me where Matt or Tai's affections were. Perhaps it will make sense in the next couple of movies. I didn't get the impression that anything like this was hinted in the series, but only in the Digimon Movie?]

spoiler[I loved Koushiro's crush on Mimi. It was cute that he was trying so hard to impress her]
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Yarden wrote:

It seemed really weird that the movie was released in a TV episode like format for Crunchyroll. Is the series supposed to be a movie or a television show? Maybe the creators don't even know. Maybe it's supposed to be both?

It's supposed to be movies/theatrical OVAs like Gundam Unicorn.

It wouldn't be the first CR's done something like this where they mashed together different episodes or separated things. The Mazinkaiser SKL release on there has it as a single video while it's three different episodes (so you only get hear the awesome that is Juggernaut by Sadie once.)
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
5. Why does Koushiro (Izzy) talk so much when no one seems to notice him when they are under the bridge theorizing why the events are occurring?]

That's the joke, what is being spouted is over most the groups head and catching up after not being around each other is taking priority.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:32 am Reply with quote
I really liked these four episodes, I think they captured the nostalgia feeling beautifully and the production values were at least competent, no glaring snafus ala SMC. It felt good revisiting these characters and seeing where they are now after all these years and I particularly loved how they portrayed their friendship, it felt very real.

There were just two things bothering me: 1. What everyone already mentioned, Taichi's emo phase felt really hamfisted. They tried to make it land by spamming us with flashbacks of the broken cellphone and the broken bridge, but it felt excessive and tryhard in the wrong way. The conflict just came out of nowhere. Especially because, like Yamato said, they are the only ones who can fight back. If they don't fight the Infected Digimon, the destruction would only be worse, so Taichi angsting about destroying buildings and cellphones to save lives was just weird.

2. Why did no one go further than Champion evolution if the enemies were so tough? I thought they were unable to do so for some unexplained reason (that they would bring up later), but at the end Gabumon and Agumon could go full Mega in a blink, so if everyone else was having so much problems why didn't they digivolve further? It didn't make sense unless I'm overlooking something.

I didn't have much expectations about this given the delays and the strange choice of forma and that, being a movie, I thought we wouldn't be able to see the thing in at least another six months, so I was pleasantly surprised to see CR acquired this. I'm definitely looking forward for more.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:37 am Reply with quote
Mostly agree with Hope, except that I feel Taichi's reluctance is pretty justified. I mean, the first true fight was at an airport--arguably the most open space area you can find in an urban setting--and there was still a lot of damage to areas far from the battle were people would/could have been.

(EDIT: To clarify, I don't think Taichi is justified in not fighting, but I think he's right to wonder if the way they've always done things is the right way to prevent further possible casualties.)

Personally, I was more irked by the use of repeated flashbacks; I felt like it was overdone. That, and that Mei's Digimon looked a little over-designed compared to the more simplistic Original!Digimon.

CrowLia wrote:

2. Why did no one go further than Champion evolution if the enemies were so tough? I thought they were unable to do so for some unexplained reason (that they would bring up later), but at the end Gabumon and Agumon could go full Mega in a blink, so if everyone else was having so much problems why didn't they digivolve further? It didn't make sense unless I'm overlooking something.

It's been a while since I've seen the original series, but I think the DigiDestined gave up their crests in the end of their season, so that's why they can't Digivolve further. The Mega bit is probably sticking to movie canon, so only Yamato and Taichi's Digimon can move beyond Champion level.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:57 am Reply with quote
^Ah yeah, I think I remember that about the crests, which is why I assumed no one could evolve into Ultimate or further, I'd forgotten about the movie. I hope they will find a way around it in future movies
spoiler[
The poster for the second movie seems to show Mimi and Joe with their digimons in their Mega evolutions so maybe...?]
Kendra Kirai

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:16 am Reply with quote
The scenes of destruction seemed oddly...STERILE to me. It would've made so much more sense for Taichi to be hesitant to fight if there was a sign that somebody was hurt in the SLIGHTEST, but they made a point to say that nobody was seriously injured.

It was as if they did a sweep of bodies or blood or hurt people before they released it. It wouldn't be the first time Japan has changed things because of current world events.

Now, I'm not saying that's what HAPPENED. Just that that's what it seems like. It's entirely possible, even probable, that's always what it was supposed to be. ....But it would make more sense if Taichi saw actual hurt people rather than just imagining it.
Hikarunu

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:23 am Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:

CrowLia wrote:

It's been a while since I've seen the original series, but I think the DigiDestined gave up their crests in the end of their season, so that's why they can't Digivolve further. The Mega bit is probably sticking to movie canon, so only Yamato and Taichi's Digimon can move beyond Champion level.

They can evolve like normal because their power are already back since Gennai and Holy Beasts Digimon help them to evolve to perfect level without crest in 02. Last time they did it when Diaboromon revived and Imperialdramon gets Paladin Mode in cannon movie.

The problem is they dont know how tough Alphamon could be, Koushiro only know the name only, while other data are unknown. Other may think only Omegamon can stop Alphamon so they only evolve just to buy time.
Juno016

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:42 am Reply with quote
Hikarunu wrote:
They can evolve like normal because their power are already back since Gennai and Holy Beasts Digimon help them to evolve to perfect level without crest in 02. Last time they did it when Diaboromon revived and Imperialdramon gets Paladin Mode in cannon movie.

The problem is they don't know how tough Alphamon could be, Koushiro only know the name only, while other data are unknown. Other may think only Omegamon can stop Alphamon so they only evolve just to buy time.

I know the crests were given up to free the holy beasts in the Wonderswan games, but yeah, the digicores give them power later. However, I don't even think anyone but Agumon and Gabumon evolve in the Diaboromon Strikes Back film. Like, not even once.

As for myself, I loved it. I had a similar issue as Taichi recently, where I really pulled back on something I've never been confused about before, so I completely buy into his current dilemma. And having seen the first season and finished just a week or so ago (I'm already almost halfway through 02), it didn't feel as out of place as some people think it was.

In terms of animation quality, the frames were badly drawn and the frame rate was ugly in the first two episodes. After that, things got a TON better. I also noticed Angemon (not Tailmon) had animation recycled from the opening in the last episode, though, so that was weird. I'd say one of the hardest things they could've gone for was a story and direction that felt like the old one. And they succeeded. Somewhat. It still feels much more adult and the characters act more realistic in daily moments than in the past, but the Digimon are still hilarious, the jokes are still the same humor, and the show is still heavily focused on the characters than the plot itself. That's a huge plus to me, as while I could like it either way, the characters are one of the past draws to the original series. New dilemmas are pretty obvious.
One thing I do question, way more than Taichi, is Jou. But that seems to be a focus of the next film. My current issue is that Jou wants to be a Digimon doctor/vet after the gates open back up between Adventure and Adventure 02 (source: drama CD) and he continues through to the end of Adventure 02 and all the way up to the epilogue, where he succeeds. So... what is this dilemma about? spoiler[His girlfriend]? School? What's going on? Did he temporary give up on his dream when the gates closed again after Adventure 02 and is questioning the stability of his hopeful future?

Note that my personal experience may have been awesome because I saw it in the theater in Nagoya. A great theater with no barking fans. The presentation in the theater probably influences my impression of the episodes.

Oh, and lastly, that evolution animation was horrid. Bad 3D. Really bad 3D. And Garurumon. Garurumon made me make this:

Hikarunu

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:05 am Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:

I know the crests were given up to free the holy beasts in the Wonderswan games, but yeah, the digicores give them power later. However, I don't even think anyone but Agumon and Gabumon evolve in the Diaboromon Strikes Back film. Like, not even once.
Do you watched properly? There are Angemon and Angewomon in the Diaboromon 2nd movie so technically they are still part of Adventure main team, Tailmon/Gatomon have hard time to evolve to Angewomon in early 02 episodes except for the Dark Ocean arc and now she even have holy ring back at end of 02 so her power now equal to normal Adult/Champion level digimon.

Now that I mentioned Dark Ocean, can they bring back that missing plot in tri along with Daemon?
DisneyLM

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:15 am Reply with quote
Months ago when I first saw the Anime Cover Art for this show, I was all like "Whaaaat?", and not I'm all like "You know what, this is actually unique." And so I ended up loving it, and calling this art style "The Childhood show turned to modernized anime style...style." I'm still bumbed that Crunchyroll picked it up V.S. Sentai or Funimation, because now I'm thinking that it won't get a Dub, of course it won't because Crunchroll got it...ugh, but still...if I am every going to watch SUBS...it's gonna be Digimon, and I loved it, still mad though...would have loved if Funimation or Sentai got it, they would either have got the origial dub crew back, and I am imagining Tai's voice actor play the role in a more mature tone, and not the always energetic kids show on, and would have found it sweet. OR Funimation just get there voice talent to do it, and have some respect for the Dub audience who grew up with it...actually Funimation would have done all they can to get the original ones back.
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:39 am Reply with quote
Nice review there and wow, it's really nostalgic revisiting all of our favorite Digidestined again 15 years later and now, I can't wait to see what new challenges our favorite heroes are going through now that they are all in their high school years.

I know some people are mixed with how Tai acted here and the idea definitely isn't bad but it could have been better there.

Of course, the one thing that still makes me anxious in wanting to know more is of and want answered immediately is of course, spoiler[what happened with the 02 Digidestined because the fact that the rest of the Digidestined haven't mentioned them since their fate is left ambiguous judging by the prologue just feels odd and I just hope that they aren't dead because sure, they have their detractors but I was always fond of them.]

Overall, I am pretty satisfied with these first four episodes in how it slowly reintroduces the main 8 characters again and see how they have been since last time and now, I can't wait to see what happens next and see if the upcoming new episodes will retcon certain portions of 02 as what these episodes hint at.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3